Assurance of Support

lesleyh

On 1/12/2018 at 03:24, Quoll said:

Is he not your AoS? Usually the child is.

Although likely most applicants have a child as the AoS, it's not necessary. 

There can be many reasons an AoS may need to drop out but I assume it's either financial issues or they've moved outside Australia.

OP - I'm not sure where to suggest you look for another AoS but hopefully other members may be able to give you some ideas.

On 1/11/2018 at 23:27, lesleyh said:

Hi, wonder can anyone help. We are 30months into our 143 visa and our AOS has had to drop out. So worried as we are so far along  ,Does anyone know of companies or kind people who could help?  With payment of course. Desperate Times.     .

Hi Lesleyh, sorry to hear about this. I think the problem may be that when you take on the role of assurer you agree to provide financial support to the person being given the visa beyond the AOS itself, which is a big ask for someone to take on if they are not close to you.  Obviously assurers decline this responsibility all the time, I see it a lot in aged care can’t wait to pass the responsibility to the tax payer, but I personally would not sign up to this knowing that I had no intention of truly supporting the person. 

The large AOS fee is held by the government and is used to cover very specific crisis payments from Centrelink. I am my mum’s assurer, she fronted up the $10,000 though, not me, although it is held in my name. When that money is released back it will be paid to me. If I was of a mind I could pocket that, nothing much she could do. A lot of trust in this type of situation. 

I think the point I am trying to make (not very well probably) is there is more to this than someone just agreeing to put their name down to be your assurance of support. I wish you well, but please don’t be so blinded by your desire to be in Australia that you disregard the risks associated with having your money held in someone else’s name, where interest is also paid to them.

Very best of luck to you. I appreciate I don’t know you or your situation but I just wanted to flag possible pitfalls, not insult your intelligence and I hope you read this in the spirit it was written.

• Like 5

Assurance of support period is too long that is 10 years. It is a great responsibility on person providing assurance of support, in most of the cases I have seen the visa holder pay themselves but it will be on the name of the person providing AOS. Let us say of visa holder is not capable of earning and he can’t meet his day to day expenditure than the responsibilities of providing boarding and lodging is of the person providing AOS. In case the person who provided AOS become jobless and don’t have any money to support them. They can request the Centrelink after seeing their circumstances they may grant them some money but it it will be recovered from the person providing AOS when ever he start earning. Centrelink will not provide till the time 10 years period is completed even if you become the citizenship. This is a very tough condition. In normal circumstances if you come on parent visa after two years you start getting the benefits of Centrelink probably if you are without a job.
My understanding is that no one should give AOS unless or otherwise he has a lot of money to support them for 10 years.
Amber has explained very well. I suffered as I could not get the properly understanding about Visa 143. Before applying

14 minutes ago, MAKhan said:

Assurance of support period is too long that is 10 years. It is a great responsibility on person providing assurance of support, in most of the cases I have seen the visa holder pay themselves but it will be on the name of the person providing AOS. Let us say of visa holder is not capable of earning and he can’t meet his day to day expenditure than the responsibilities of providing boarding and lodging is of the person providing AOS. In case the person who provided AOS become jobless and don’t have any money to support them. They can request the Centrelink after seeing their circumstances they may grant them some money but it it will be recovered from the person providing AOS when ever he start earning. Centrelink will not provide till the time 10 years period is completed even if you become the citizenship. This is a very tough condition. In normal circumstances if you come on parent visa after two years you start getting the benefits of Centrelink probably if you are without a job.
My understanding is that no one should give AOS unless or otherwise he has a lot of money to support them for 10 years.
Amber has explained very well. I suffered as I could not get the properly understanding about Visa 143. Before applying

This is why it is an Assurance of Support, so the burden does not fall on the Australian Government!

• Like 2

In essence, no one should get a parent visa unless they know they can support themselves. The word centrelink shouldn't even be a thought in their mind.  The AOS is there in the background of course but that's where it should stay until it's returned back.  Amber said it perfectly, it's not as simple as finding a 'kind' person to be your AOS.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your kind replys , , We can fully  support ourselves in Australia , and we will provide the14000 ausdollars  that's no problem.  As far as we understand everyone who applies for a 143 visa whether you can support yourselves or not, has to have an AOS   We have sold our house ,and waited in the que for along time now ,we just can't give up.  We know  the AOS is a massive thing to ask , but we'll keep on looking .we do have a couple more friends who could maybe help, but not sure if they earn enough. Thanks again for caring ♡

• Like 3

Sometime I think, you pay, perhaps $48000 and AOS $ 10000 per person, now a days, after meeting other tough conditions of 50 percent children should be citizen or PR of Australia, meeting other condition of medical and police certificates etc, etc. All it involves money and what you get in return from Australian gov Medicare and can do the job or can run a business. You have a very less chance of getting a job as your are almost touching or above 60 years of age. Your foreign experience don’t count unless or otherwise you have local experience and have done some certification or diploma from local institution, even then you have a little chance of getting the job.
Now I compare with parent and contributory parent immigration.
Parents want to immigrate to live closer to their children as their children had gone to Australia and are contributing something in the development of Australia. The parents and children can’t come and go to see their love ones very off and on as they will be facing difficulty in getting the visa and can’t offered the expenditure of travelling.
My question, if on parent visa you pay less fee but time period is more but in contributory visa more the money you pay but lesser the visa period. Parents visa gets social security benefit after two years where as contributory parents pay more money and wait for 10 years to get the benefit. I think after paying large amount they should also get the social security benefit after two years of their stay In Australia, this should be on humanitarian ground as they have very less time left over to spend with their children. Please for give me if could not explain my thought properly due to my language problem.

On 1/15/2018 at 02:20, lesleyh said:

Thank you for all your kind replys , , We can fully  support ourselves in Australia , and we will provide the14000 ausdollars  that's no problem.  As far as we understand everyone who applies for a 143 visa whether you can support yourselves or not, has to have an AOS   We have sold our house ,and waited in the que for along time now ,we just can't give up.  We know  the AOS is a massive thing to ask , but we'll keep on looking .we do have a couple more friends who could maybe help, but not sure if they earn enough. Thanks again for caring ♡

Best of luck to you, this must be so stressful. Friends might be the answer.  I don’t remember declaring what I earned, is this new? Maybe I did, long time ago now. We get ours back next year. 

8 hours ago, MAKhan said:

Sometime I think, you pay, perhaps $48000 and AOS $ 10000 per person, now a days, after meeting other tough conditions of 50 percent children should be citizen or PR of Australia, meeting other condition of medical and police certificates etc, etc. All it involves money and what you get in return from Australian gov Medicare and can do the job or can run a business. You have a very less chance of getting a job as your are almost touching or above 60 years of age. Your foreign experience don’t count unless or otherwise you have local experience and have done some certification or diploma from local institution, even then you have a little chance of getting the job.
Now I compare with parent and contributory parent immigration.
Parents want to immigrate to live closer to their children as their children had gone to Australia and are contributing something in the development of Australia. The parents and children can’t come and go to see their love ones very off and on as they will be facing difficulty in getting the visa and can’t offered the expenditure of travelling.
My question, if on parent visa you pay less fee but time period is more but in contributory visa more the money you pay but lesser the visa period. Parents visa gets social security benefit after two years where as contributory parents pay more money and wait for 10 years to get the benefit. I think after paying large amount they should also get the social security benefit after two years of their stay In Australia, this should be on humanitarian ground as they have very less time left over to spend with their children. Please for give me if could not explain my thought properly due to my language problem.

This is obviously a very emotional subject for you. The government expects people applying for visas to know what they are signing up for and to abide by that agreement, regardless of whether it is “fair “ or not. Older people cost the Australian treasury more money than younger ones, by and large. 

I was at a meeting with the Commonwealth a few months ago and the figures being touted were alarming. The quote was “ by the year 2035 ( think that’s right , might be 2025) the cost of aged care ( community and facility based) will be more than the revenue raised by taxation”.That cannot happen. The Aged Care Reforms are now requiring that people who have lived and worked here all their lives to pay more for their care and they are only on the pension a lot of them. How can the government justify giving money to people who have essentially just arrived and who signed to say they would not ask for government money when they applied?

The  government doesn’t deal in emotions it deals in dollars and popularity with voters. If it bankrupts the place they won’t be popular.

I think you and your family need to decide if you can stay here and how you will make that happen otherwise you will need to return home, which may not be easy for you either. 

Best wishes.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Assurance of support return period. Is this start from the date you first enter Australia on visa 173 or the period start from the date 143 granted to you. From which date 10 years will be considered to return the AOS.
Regards

1 hour ago, MAKhan said:

Assurance of support return period. Is this start from the date you first enter Australia on visa 173 or the period start from the date 143 granted to you. From which date 10 years will be considered to return the AOS.
Regards

When you entered. ?

ETA sorry just saw you had 173. No idea, sorry.

Edited by Amber Snowball
Added

On 14/07/2018 at 17:19, MAKhan said:

Regards

I’m going to bumb this and tag in @Alan Collett as I feel bad not reading your question properly......? Alan is super at this and is from Geelong, which holds a special place in my heart, so my association so does Alan!

Looking at it now I would imagine it is 10 years from the start of the 143, but don’t know. Alan?

11 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

I’m going to bumb this and tag in @Alan Collett as I feel bad not reading your question properly......? Alan is super at this and is from Geelong, which holds a special place in my heart, so my association so does Alan!

Looking at it now I would imagine it is 10 years from the start of the 143, but don’t know. Alan?

?

There is no AoS requirement with a subclass 173 visa.

The AoS is required for the permanent visa application .

See also: http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/6

Best regards.