The weather ?

bristolman

6 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

weather has calmed down a bit now ...some rain and temps in the 20s ?

we have friends who are visiting relatives on the east coast of oz .

they said the weather has been crap .....snow in Sydney yesterday ??????

they are now heading north ,and hoping for better weather , which iam sure they will get on the barrier reef

they haven't had any decent weather yet .

yes , I know its winter over there ....

Sunshine Coast also on the East Coast perfect winter weather, tops of 26’ daytime beautiful clear blue skies, and cool/cold nights. The East Coast generalisation covers an awfully large area. Certainly didn’t hear any mention about the snow in Sydney yesterday, my daughter is flying up today will ask her. The fires in NSW’s  are scary though.

Seriously though as you say it is winter in Australia and I think people do seem to think it’s sunny and warm all year, I certainly never realised how many peopled skied here, before I moved here.

Daughter just rang, said Sydney was bl———dy gorgeous yesterday 24’ So don’t know where your friends were.

Sounds more like the Tassie weather bunbury's friends were talking about.  We've had rain and wind on and off for days now and it's been on the chilly side too.  However, today is just lovely.  Long may it last.  I also don't understand folk who assume the weather in Australia is constant sunshine and warm temps   ......................  especially in the winter.  Even when I plan a trip to Asia I make sure it's during the dry, cooler time of the year.  

8 hours ago, ramot said:

Sunshine Coast also on the East Coast perfect winter weather, tops of 26’ daytime beautiful clear blue skies, and cool/cold nights. The East Coast generalisation covers an awfully large area. Certainly didn’t hear any mention about the snow in Sydney yesterday, my daughter is flying up today will ask her. The fires in NSW’s  are scary though.

Seriously though as you say it is winter in Australia and I think people do seem to think it’s sunny and warm all year, I certainly never realised how many peopled skied here, before I moved here.

Daughter just rang, said Sydney was bl———dy gorgeous yesterday 24’ So don’t know where your friends were.

its in the last week ....on the east coast ...said the weather had been crap ?

6 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Yes, the weather has been crap...........for farmers.  Serious drought problems for all of NSW and most of Queensland.

No rain and barely seen a cloud for 2 months now here with daytime max in low to mid 20s every single day.  Perfect for holidaymakers but we would welcome some rain, though none is forecast.

27 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

The further north your friends go the warmer the weather will be.  Melbourne has has been a bit on the chilly side (same as Tassie) but what do your friends expect from winter weather in the lower half of Australia.  At least it won't have been sleet and snow for them.  ?

Edited by Toots

3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Yes, the weather has been crap...........for farmers.  Serious drought problems for all of NSW and most of Queensland.

No rain and barely seen a cloud for 2 months now here with daytime max in low to mid 20s every single day.  Perfect for holidaymakers but we would welcome some rain, though none is forecast.

long term ...big worry

and when the rain comes the ground is that dry ,you get mass run off and flooding .

there has been an element of that here ...

3 hours ago, Toots said:

The further north your friends go the warmer the weather will be.  Melbourne has has been a bit on the chilly side (same as Tassie) but what do your friends expect from winter weather in the lower half of Australia.  At least it won't have been sleet and snow for them.  ?

dont know what they expected ?

it was just her observation

in relation to sleet and snow ,we don't get much of that either now .....I will put pis up ,mid winter

our weather is becoming pretty decent ....even a record grape harvest ,in the south

lets see what this winter brings

I guarantee ,I will post genuine temperatures ,

the way global temperatures are ,anything could happen .

Just now, bunbury61 said:

dont know what they expected ?

it was just her observation

in relation to sleet and snow ,we don't get much of that either now .....I will put pis up ,mid winter

our weather is becoming pretty decent ....even a record grape harvest ,in the south

lets see what this winter brings

I guarantee ,I will post genuine temperatures ,

the way global temperatures are ,anything could happen .

although i have just got back from 42c in rome and florence ....thats too much .

it was 39c at 2am on the Portugese coast .

as I said previously some areas are becoming nocturnal ,people choosing to shop etc ,after dark

no thanks

All the stuff about the horrors of global warming- in the UK you are sitting pretty because it will be much better for you and a big benefit for some of the other cold places, too( Iceland, Arctic etc)  The ones who will really suffer are people like those in FNQ and further North and those island countries in the tropics. 

18 hours ago, starlight7 said:

All the stuff about the horrors of global warming- in the UK you are sitting pretty because it will be much better for you and a big benefit for some of the other cold places, too( Iceland, Arctic etc)  The ones who will really suffer are people like those in FNQ and further North and those island countries in the tropics. 

everyone will suffer .....they have had 32c in Sweden ....and even fires on the edge of the arctic circle in Lapland .

our weather is improving ...but we are moving into the realms of extremes .

you used to be able to roughly pick a u.k winter .

now we could get anything from ,no days under zero ( which is becoming the norm ) , to extreme cold ,or another good bet , high winds and flooding

Seems we are pretty lucky on the north west coast of Tassie.  Last summer we had only one day when it reached 30C.  Most other days it was 23C to 25C.  This winter it has managed to reach double digits every day during the day.  We had one night when it was - 0.1C.  Other areas of Tasmania not the same.  A lot colder in the winter and much hotter in the summer.  Last summer the east coast had a few days of temps in the high 30's .  We also have had lots of rain which the farmers have dammed and will use in the summer which is usually very dry.