Labour 'war-gaming for run on pound' if elected

amibovered

Have you actually read the article?

What is your problem with it?

Scenario planning is a good thing, every business worth their salt does it on a regular basis and boards often ask for BCP (Business Continuity Plans).  You should be more worries if they didn't have these back up plans.  you can be damn sure the Bank of England does.

Good to see that you are starting to recognise the likely economic impacts of Brexit.  What brought about your "Come to Jesus" moment?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, amibovered said:

And what is really hilarious,  the same people that are telling us Brexit will be an economic disaster, then think grabbing tens of billions of pounds off business by way of a tax hike, won't have any effect, what planet are they on, brainwashed or what.   

So, you are happy 90% of the world's wealth is controlled by 1% of the population. Stinks of greed to me. I'm not a communist, but you do need some form of wealth distribution or else everything dries up.

5 hours ago, amibovered said:

Heaven help us, if this bunch of lunatics ever get into government the economic effects of Brexit will be nothing to the damage this lot would do, they are even planning for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41393021

Are you really proud of the state of UK railways? This was a shocking bit of Tory mismanagement. 

1 hour ago, newjez said:

So, you are happy 90% of the world's wealth is controlled by 1% of the population. Stinks of greed to me. I'm not a communist, but you do need some form of wealth distribution or else everything dries up.

No I'm not happy, you are right it stinks, but Labour won't change anything, when unemployment goes through the roof and taxes skyrocket, how will that help anyone.  

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Tell me at what point has it been any diffrent , your average man compared to 100 years ago is a lot better off,

(that's in the western world , not 3rd world countries )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amibovered said:

Don't use the railways, so can't comment on the state of them.

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Are you really proud of the state of UK railways? This was a shocking bit of Tory mismanagement. 

Not only Tory , labour as well , they are all the same to a degree once in power 

7 hours ago, Collie said:

Have you actually read the article?

What is your problem with it?

Scenario planning is a good thing, every business worth their salt does it on a regular basis and boards often ask for BCP (Business Continuity Plans).  You should be more worries if they didn't have these back up plans.  you can be damn sure the Bank does

Sceanario planning is fine and expected of central banks but in general terms currencies only tank when an economy does badly. So in effect labour are planning to wreck the economy which seems to me an odd thing to publicise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Tell me at what point has it been any diffrent , your average man compared to 100 years ago is a lot better off,

(that's in the western world , not 3rd world countries )

Doesn't mean it can't be better.

I don't think corbyn is the answer. But I think somewhere between the current government and Corbyn is, and to be honest, I would be prepared to give it a go. It's not as if free markets have been a smooth ride.

4 hours ago, amibovered said:

No I'm not happy, you are right it stinks, but Labour won't change anything, when unemployment goes through the roof and taxes skyrocket, how will that help anyone.  

What like during the GFC? Free markets obviously aren't the answer. Or if they are, the GFC was the question. Why not try something different? Who knows, it could work. When has it been tried before? Fifty years ago? It's a different world. 

1 minute ago, newjez said:

Doesn't mean it can't be better.

I don't think corbyn is the answer. But I think somewhere between the current government and Corbyn is, and to be honest, I would be prepared to give it a go. It's not as if free markets have been a smooth ride.

I agree but as I said nothing has changed really , we are better educated now which is good as it moves society forward generally , Corbyn is a scary thought if he got power , a lot of the better labour MPs left when he became leader ,  that tells you something 

8 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I agree but as I said nothing has changed really , we are better educated now which is good as it moves society forward generally , Corbyn is a scary thought if he got power , a lot of the better labour MPs left when he became leader ,  that tells you something 

It is momentum that I don't understand or trust. Corbyn by himself would be a breath of fresh air.

5 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

Sceanario planning is fine and expected of central banks but in general terms currencies only tank when an economy does badly. So in effect labour are planning to wreck the economy which seems to me an odd thing to publicise.

Well, first of allm the statement I have bolded is not true.  2 recent GBP examples are the June 2016 when the GBP "tanked" 25% after the Brexit vote and further back in the 1990's when George Soros speculated against the Bank of England and made about 1B GBP.

Secondly, saying that Labour are planning to wreck the economy is not an accurate conclusion based on the article.  Not sure how anyone could possibly draw that conclusion based on the article written.  Have you read it?  It merely says that Labour have policy plans based on certain scenarios, if the scenario doesn't happen, the plan stays on a shelf.

BTW - I am neutral when it comes to UK politics.  I would be centre right on fiscal issues and centre left on social issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Collie said:

Well, first of allm the statement I have bolded is not true.  2 recent GBP examples are the June 2016 when the GBP "tanked" 25% after the Brexit vote and further back in the 1990's when George Soros speculated against the Bank of England and made about 1B GBP.

Secondly, saying that Labour are planning to wreck the economy is not an accurate conclusion based on the article.  Not sure how anyone could possibly draw that conclusion based on the article written.  Have you read it?  It merely says that Labour have policy plans based on certain scenarios, if the scenario doesn't happen, the plan stays on a shelf.

BTW - I am neutral when it comes to UK politics.  I would be centre right on fiscal issues and centre left on social issues.

Currency speculation comes into play but a key reason for the post Brexit fall in the pound was markets expected the economy to be negatively impacted by Brexit. Of course they can get it wrong but investors don't usually bail on a currency from a thriving economy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

As opposed to expected economic contraction and accompanying interest rate rises, which of course isn't part of the Brexit plan under the current Govt....it's very odd that this isn't being publicised as well and the public are not trusted with knowing the "plan"?

If you prefer not to talk about it, we're left with hysterical posts like the OP's who hasn't the foggiest idea what any of this means, then we're straight into billion pound tax grabs, bodyguards and accusations of the left dangerous and violent people?  They then top it off by saying how  much better educated they are when in reality, we have some of the stupidest people in the country ranting like members of a sect but without the ability to even begin evaluating anything for themselves to even a primary level,  but then would expect somebody to step in and look after them if it all goes tits up ?  But it's still an odd thing to publicise is it ?

Edited by Slean Wolfhead
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Currency speculation comes into play but a key reason for the post Brexit fall in the pound was markets expected the economy to be negatively impacted by Brexit. Of course they can get it wrong but investors don't usually bail on a currency from a thriving economy.

I still don't understand why it fell that much over night , dark forces at work , maybe it was used as a smoke screen 

23 hours ago, simmo said:

the left are dangerous and violent 

Mmmmmmmm, I seem to remember some stupid neo- nazi redkneck in the US recently drove into a peaceful anti trump demonstration and KILLED a 30 year old woman, now that is what I'd describe as violet and dangerous.

Laura K has had to have permanent full time protection because of the violent mysoginystic threats she has recieved since covrring brexit and the Tories piss poor election campaign. 

• Like 1