How friendly is perth

Spencer's

17 minutes ago, Toots said:

Now then you are coming across as an intellectual snob.  Do you really think that all I do is talk about superficial fluff?  On a forum yes but I do (as you probably find it hard to believe) have friends to have interesting conversations with - sometimes until the early hours.  Same just about wherever I've lived - including Europe and yes Perth too. 

It may have been the same where you lived, but not always my experience. No just like quality conversation at times. Not necessary all the time and I can' eat the wind' without much do. Hardly only me that thinks that, but this thread is on the subject of friendliness.

Back on note. Perth is 'friendly' enough on a superficial level. If the desire is more meaningful relationships, that may then require digging a slightly bigger hole.

5 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

It may have been the same where you lived, but not always my experience. No just like quality conversation at times. Not necessary all the time and I can' eat the wind' without much do. Hardly only me that thinks that, but this thread is on the subject of friendliness.

Back on note. Perth is 'friendly' enough on a superficial level. If the desire is more meaningful relationships, that may then require digging a slightly bigger hole.

If we are back on the subject of friendliness then I repeat what I said before.  It's as friendly as any other city anywhere.  On the whole cities are not very friendly places.  Just my opinion but there you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

There are a few factors at play here.

Firstly, it depends on you. My wife & I lived all over the UK and we adapted to how people differ there. Conversely, her sister, who also lives here, never moved from the street that she was born in. Consequently, she thinks everyone here is a massive weirdo but then she has no real term of reference. I guess what I'm saying is, if you've strayed from what you knew in the UK and made it work, chances are you will in Perth. If you live in a UK city, there are people there from all over, and you get used to it. If you're from Coronation Street or something and are expecting the same here, you're in for a shock.

Also, I find the residential and school situations a lot more transient here. You will likely be in a rental, some of your neighbours will be renting, your kids school friends will change as kids they know change school or move house, new people will move into your street all the time ... the whole thing is a lot less settled than life in the UK is IMO.

Finally, I find a lot of Aussies quite different to Brits, personality-wise, so that doesn't lend itself to familiarity and friendship on occasions.

Familiarity beyond a nod of the head, does tend to escape many Aussies. Saying that I am not at all certain this was always the case. Or at least not to the same extent as is often the case now.

Going further, I know from relatives, people at least in many UK settings, mind their Ps and Q's as well. An American pal in UK, I recall saying many years ago how cold he found the Brit's on moving into a Hearts neighbourhood. He was the sort that would take a bottle of wine to welcome newbies in his neck of the woods in USA.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

If we are back on the subject of friendliness then I repeat what I said before.  It's as friendly as any other city anywhere.  On the whole cities are not very friendly places.  Just my opinion but there you go.

The beauty of a proper city is the diversity of modes and living experiences not always (if at all ) possible in smaller more conservative localities. Hence the movement of so many young from all over UK to cities like London in the seventies and eighties. One can reinvent oneself in a city and be free. Cities can be very defining places unlike the country where the emphasis tends to be more one of conformity and onus on fitting in is firmly on the individual with often little margin to seek out alternatives.

Not quite on friendship, but it is in a manner of speaking I suppose. Having diversity of living styles on hand, within reach, would likely result in greater personal positive vibes leading to a happier and more approachable individual.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 20:13, Pura Vida said:

School gates tend to make acquaintances and seldom long lasting if what I am told holds sway longer term.  Small talk tends to be similar from place to place. Does that infer 'friendships'? I think not. Surely something more akin to a meeting of minds is more sustainable with similar cultural pursuits.

The rest I'd term ' normal daily human interaction'.

You can meet like minded people in lots of situations.   I met my best friend in Canada in the line at McDonalds.   It's very difficult meeting new people in any location but you open yourself up for success if you have school age children because you may just meet 1 person that you click with. 

• Like 1

On 28/08/2017 at 18:55, Spencer's said:

We are thinking of moving to Perth we have a young daughter which will be four in October. I'm wondering how friendly is it?we are nervous about getting to Perth and not being able to make friends and end up being lonely as a family.  

Thanks xx

It's always easiest making friends with people in a similar mindset and situation. We are still friends with the parents of the kids my eldest started school with. 

Harder to make friends in an established environment. 

On 8/29/2017 at 01:55, Spencer's said:

We are thinking of moving to Perth we have a young daughter which will be four in October. I'm wondering how friendly is it?we are nervous about getting to Perth and not being able to make friends and end up being lonely as a family.  

Thanks xx

Perth is a friendly place, you'll find little difference to moving from one end of the UK to another when making friends, the onus is on the individual with things like this. To many people blame the location. We moved from Windsor to Calgary to Harrogate to Melbourne to Leeds to Perth and there really is little difference it's up to you how you fit in Perth is probably one of the friendlier places we have lived.

Edited by Sandgroper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:24, northernbird said:

You can meet like minded people in lots of situations.   I met my best friend in Canada in the line at McDonalds.   It's very difficult meeting new people in any location but you open yourself up for success if you have school age children because you may just meet 1 person that you click with. 

Well I don't know about like minded people but met my partner outside a post office, previous belles in situations ranging from beaches, cafes, hostels to name a few so I suppose there must be something there.

Usually its in the unexpected places and situations. Friends some what harder than lovers though. Or has the app world changed all that?

• Like 1

A few years ago, we were invited by a friend to join a large group of people going to Albany.  You hired your own accommodation at the site and people tended to do their own thing during the day and the adults would 'gather' in the evening for drinks if they wanted.  We met one of our now best friends at this - one evening we were the only people sat outside with our hubbies, got chatting and she's now the Auntie (not your real Auntie) to my two children.  She's an Aussie and the kindest person that I have ever come across.

On 10/4/2017 at 15:55, Pura Vida said:

Well I don't know about like minded people but met my partner outside a post office, previous belles in situations ranging from beaches, cafes, hostels to name a few so I suppose there must be something there.

Usually its in the unexpected places and situations. Friends some what harder than lovers though. Or has the app world changed all that?

No idea, resolutely single for the rest of my living days!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, northernbird said:

Fine being single up to a certain age. I'm afraid I don't see much fun in the age though of being alone. Although obviously we can never tell the future and will have to grin and bare it if it arises. Part of the meaning of life is surely sharing experiences? Relating them to another when older? When younger though far better to be single with lots of friends with assets.

My observations are that it gets ever harder over the years. Those not used to sharing a life can find it near impossible. I really question how many are truly content or who just realise that they have likely missed the boat. Saying that being ' connected' but living apart, with perhaps weekends together and holidays may prove the more ideal option. Especially perhaps for women, whom often appear to do the solo living thing better. 

My comments are not specifically Perth related to which I maintain is somewhat difficult in the friendship stakes.  

Edited by Pura Vida

13 hours ago, northernbird said:

My sister was divorced in her early 20s and has never remarried.  She has had a very happy single life since then.  A good career and many overseas postings with that career.  She has never wanted children either.  After 40 years in London and various different cities around the world she is happily retired in Edinburgh - right in the city centre opposite Queen Street Gardens.  She's been too busy to be lonely and has many friends for social contact.

16 minutes ago, Toots said:

My sister was divorced in her early 20s and has never remarried.  She has had a very happy single life since then.  A good career and many overseas postings with that career.  She has never wanted children either.  After 40 years in London and various different cities around the world she is happily retired in Edinburgh - right in the city centre opposite Queen Street Gardens.  She's been too busy to be lonely and has many friends for social contact.

I'm a little similar to your sister I suppose. Definitely never wanted kids. Very happily lived in European cities. (for most part ) I can imagine living next to Queen Street Gardens would be a great location if single. Edinburgh has a lot going on and quite a mindful city. I loved for the most part living in W2 Central London. I purchased in Perth, close to the centre (walking distance) but not remotely the same level or calibre of contact. Still couldn't do the suburbs though and thankful everything is close to hand.

11 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Fine being single up to a certain age. I'm afraid I don't see much fun in the age though of being alone. Although obviously we can never tell the future and will have to grin and bare it if it arises. Part of the meaning of life is surely sharing experiences? Relating them to another when older? When younger though far better to be single with lots of friends with assets.

My observations are that it gets ever harder over the years. Those not used to sharing a life can find it near impossible. I really question how many are truly content or who just realise that they have likely missed the boat. Saying that being ' connected' but living apart, with perhaps weekends together and holidays may prove the more ideal option. Especially perhaps for women, whom often appear to do the solo living thing better. 

My comments are not specifically Perth related to which I maintain is somewhat difficult in the friendship stakes.  

I spent 25 years with 1 person and was dreadfully hurt by them.  I will not put myself in that position again.  I have older teenagers and I am now comfortable living in poverty in suburbia with my 2 dogs xD

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, northernbird said:

I spent 25 years with 1 person and was dreadfully hurt by them.  I will not put myself in that position again.  I have older teenagers and I am now comfortable living in poverty in suburbia with my 2 dogs xD

I do recall aspects of your story. It is extremely sad when a relationship of such duration concludes as it did. I did suspect at the time knowing the country involved and more to the point how men behave in such situations.

While very comforting to have two dogs, I do trust you have a little more interaction in your life. We all deserve something more and try not to judge all possible future relations on a incredibly bad and unfair experience. Most of us have felt pain. I can only imagine after so many years have marriage you must have felt. Good luck.

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen
On 30/08/2017 at 17:36, Pura Vida said:

I guess some folk on here forget the years of loneliness ,they expressed among other negatives , on this very forum, during their time around Perth?  No matter I what I would concur is it probably becomes more difficult, most places as we get older.

Some will manage to engage better than others. Sort of goes without saying, I'd have thought. While folk are 'friendly' enough, on the most superficial of levels, actual meaningful reliability in friendship is another matter completely. I certainly find the latter far harder here in Perth than previous locations, but the former on par, even easier than many other places.  

Just remember though when you were invited to the first Pomsinoz Meet Up in Perth you hid away, it was only last year when you finally came forward and joined in. From those first ever get togethers which were sponsored by @John from Moneycorp a lot of members made life long friends. Maybe if you had stretched from your comfort zone you would also have gained some valuable friendships.

To the OP @Spencer's I hope you are still around and read through the posts. What I can honestly say is that no matter where you move making friends is going to be hard. If you moved to another town in the UK it would be the same. We forget that the friends we have in the UK we have known for years.

I remember a group of expats in Melbourne who we had helped relocate got some T Shirts made up that said "Please be my friend I'm a New Pom, fresh off the boat" they actually did work and the group of them, 5 families, now have a huge network and social gathering, in fact half of that crowd are currently in Perth celebrating one of the women's 50th Birthday.

Now I'm not saying go and buy a T Shirt and all your worries will end. Apart from a couple of members who I know personally on here (although I don't see them hardly) we don't have many friends. We are what you would call loners. To make friends you have to be social yourself, join sports/social clubs, maybe join a parent/teacher group. It will come just don't expect it to be sudden. In the meantime you have us on here. 

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Just remember though when you were invited to the first Pomsinoz Meet Up in Perth you hid away, it was only last year when you finally came forward and joined in. From those first ever get togethers which were sponsored by @John from Moneycorp a lot of members made life long friends. Maybe if you had stretched from your comfort zone you would also have gained some valuable friendships.

To the OP @Spencer's I hope you are still around and read through the posts. What I can honestly say is that no matter where you move making friends is going to be hard. If you moved to another town in the UK it would be the same. We forget that the friends we have in the UK we have known for years.

I remember a group of expats in Melbourne who we had helped relocate got some T Shirts made up that said "Please be my friend I'm a New Pom, fresh off the boat" they actually did work and the group of them, 5 families, now have a huge network and social gathering, in fact half of that crowd are currently in Perth celebrating one of the women's 50th Birthday.

Now I'm not saying go and buy a T Shirt and all your worries will end. Apart from a couple of members who I know personally on here (although I don't see them hardly) we don't have many friends. We are what you would call loners. To make friends you have to be social yourself, join sports/social clubs, maybe join a parent/teacher group. It will come just don't expect it to be sudden. In the meantime you have us on here. 

Probably fortunate I didn't make a presence in first meet from the response. In fact that was the only reason I attended to following was to lay to rest some of the accusations made after the first meet. You possibly forget some of the responses prior to initial meet towards posts but no matter.

My comfort zone? No most I suspect from last meet are newer arrivals with possibly own agendas, to network perhaps  being a prime one, which of course is fair enough. I wouldn't attend another in all likelihood but nothing against the meet nor those attending.

I stand by all I say regarding the difficulty of 'friendship'  in the Australian context from long experience over time both from a personal level, but even more so the comments of others, including those long before the internet.

I agree sporting clubs, Bridge  and the like assist folk in steering the same direction in 'doing something' together. To arrive at a meeting of minds , now there's a place difficult to arrive at in the context being referred to. I personally did not find everywhere the same. All to their own. I just put it how I see/find it. May not jell with all but hardly matters.

.......if your friendly.....

.......comfortable striking up a conversation with a stranger

........join groups your interested in

........be prepared to make the first move

.......you’ll find enough interaction 

.......friends come with time....

.......shared experiences.....

........like minded views.....

........perseverance and commitment are what creates friendships ime...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I've said on this forum before that I could live the life of a hermit so yes, I am a bit of a loner too.  OH isn't though and he's always off with people he's met here doing stuff  ........  golf, fishing and today someone he knows is delivering a new car to the buyer on the east coast so he's gone along for the trip too.  I'm perfectly happy here on my own.  I do have friends here - lovely people and we get together regularly but I'm just as happy on my own.  I've never really been a social joiner in of things like clubs etc.

I have a sister who thinks that anyone from Exeter or up the M5 is a weirdo. No concept of the world around them besides what they've seen on the TV. Scary that an intelligent individual could be like that! I certainly agree with the transient nature of Perth and WA. It's dictated by mining I guess. We hardly know anyone who is actually from the town in which we live which is incredible to think. Obviously there are many but most that we know have moved in at a stage in their lives...

The transient nature of WA. Indeed.Quite surprised to learn two days ago a family from Ireland originally, are pulling the plug on Perth, returning back to Ireland. Not a shred of evidence prior to their announcement but must have been discussed for awhile. By all accounts they were exceptionally well placed here. Perhaps his line of work had gone of the boil a little, but she had a decent job. 

18 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I have a sister who thinks that anyone from Exeter or up the M5 is a weirdo. No concept of the world around them besides what they've seen on the TV. Scary that an intelligent individual could be like that! I certainly agree with the transient nature of Perth and WA. It's dictated by mining I guess. We hardly know anyone who is actually from the town in which we live which is incredible to think. Obviously there are many but most that we know have moved in at a stage in their lives...

Such insularity very scary indeed. I couldn't be with someone like that. Especially if no interest in finding out either. London is by far the most transient city I've ever lived in. Perth though transient by its resource boom/bust reliance is up there though doesn't really come close.  

On 10/9/2017 at 19:52, Pura Vida said:

I do recall aspects of your story. It is extremely sad when a relationship of such duration concludes as it did. I did suspect at the time knowing the country involved and more to the point how men behave in such situations.

While very comforting to have two dogs, I do trust you have a little more interaction in your life. We all deserve something more and try not to judge all possible future relations on a incredibly bad and unfair experience. Most of us have felt pain. I can only imagine after so many years have marriage you must have felt. Good luck.

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.