The cost of living

Taff

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:03, Taff said:

For those who have moved back after living in Aus for a period, how expensive to your find the UK compared with Aus?

I was having a  debate with a mate online, who said I'd find living in the UK very expensive compared to what I am used too.

We've been back there regularly, (last time, Nov 2015,) and never found it expensive, but there again, we were on holiday and had saved up sufficient cash to enjoy ourselves.

Our planned budget for our return is £24,000 pa for a retired couple, mortgage free, are we going to need to scrimp and save?

on £500 a week , mortgage free ...i don't think so ?

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:02, Wa7 said:

That vet must have mugs for customers, I have only ever paid between $65 - $80 

for a consultation ? .....i don't pay anything ,it comes in with the service .

if our dogs needs any tablets etc ...but the consultation is free ?....surely

19 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Most vets bill a flat fee for a consult. If they only charged you for the medication they'd not be able to afford to stay open. Prices will vary area to area. Our UK vets ranged from about £30-50 for the consult appointment plus extra costs if meds etc given. Our vet here charges about $60 for the consult. 

7 hours ago, snifter said:

Most vets bill a flat fee for a consult. If they only charged you for the medication they'd not be able to afford to stay open. Prices will vary area to area. Our UK vets ranged from about £30-50 for the consult appointment plus extra costs if meds etc given. Our vet here charges about $60 for the consult. 

no its free ....and if I want tablets or sprays ...i ring ..go in and pick them up .

they actually text me ,when he is due for me to pick up his flea treatment

15 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I have never actually paid $65 - $80 for a consultation, it's just a price I have seen behind the counter ( or somewhere in the vets) if I want to talk with vet I will just time it with a booster shot ( $80 give or take ) and get the "consultation" at the same time.

Edited by Wa7

23 minutes ago, Taff said:

That's reassuring.

After 6 years our annual income will increase substantially, due to my wife's superannuation coming into play.

Put it like this. That is about our income after tax - two adults no children and we manage pretty well. We are paying rent and saving for a deposit for a house.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Put it like this. That is about our income after tax - two adults no children and we manage pretty well. We are paying rent and saving for a deposit for a house.

Again, I'm getting good vibes!! B|

Best of luck with the saving mate, hope you get what you want.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

we use vets4pets , a consultation is free ...iam sure

Vets need to make money and many do it by charging high margins on meds vaccines and tests. By high I mean 300% or more.  My vet doesn't  charge a fee but they certainly recover the money by other means.

That is a nice amount to live on currently and if you cannot, you need to take a long hard look at your lifestyle and make the necessary changes. The old saying comes true here; you have to live within your means. If you have 24k a year coming in and 26k going out, you have issues. One thing to remember though, if your 24k is fixed from now until the day you meet your maker. The cost of living and inflation will not be. Your pound today will get you more today than it will tomorrow. With that in mind it may be an idea to not try and spend all the money each year, but to save year on year to give you more when you may need it. As you are returning back to the UK after a long period, does that mean that UK pensions and benefits will not be there for a bit, if ever? If that is the case things may be different.

Well we will live on 24 K a year, from Jan 2018 until roughly Jan 2022. After that I will get a UK state pension, (I'm fully paid up,) a small NHS pension, (roughly 70 quid a week, beer money,) and my wife's Superannuation, which will pay us a rather imodest amount, (but does depend on the exchange rate.)

I know I'm taking a bit of a risk, retiring at 59 and living for a while on a lump sum, but better the risk than working.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taff said:

Well we will live on 24 K a year, from Jan 2018 until roughly Jan 2022. After that I will get a UK state pension, (I'm fully paid up,) a small NHS pension, (roughly 70 quid a week, beer money,) and my wife's Superannuation, which will pay us a rather imodest amount, (but does depend on the exchange rate.)

I know I'm taking a bit of a risk, retiring at 59 and living for a while on a lump sum, but better the risk than working.

I think you have to be sure that 24k will continue, a lot can happen in 4 years, markets can slump  currencies can change,  that 24k can change? Also in the UK inflation is creeping up, there is no guarantee that it will remain low but even at 2.5% PA, in 4 years that is cumulatively 10% if it stays as is and altho 24k seems ok at the start after 2 or 3 years of having to be careful with every penny  it gets a bit wearing, we have  just done 12 months on 18k and we have had to dip into savings to have holidays and pay for treats in order to make us feel like we are living, I will admit we like to have a full fridge but it was hardly lobster and steak.

I just flag these thoughts up because their are individuals on here who paint the UK like some nirvana of milk and honey and sunny uplands but their are significant downsides here,which if you are retiring early, you need to be aware of, cost of public transport, cheap towns for housing are cheap because of lack of work and investment and the environment is often quite trying, I would really chevk out where you are thinking of living and go and check out the services and check where the supermarkets are and are there any libraries and what is transport like.

4 hours ago, Taff said:

Believe me with that amount of money coming in on top of the 24k that will more than make up for any possible increase in the cost of living. 

As the overwhelming majority have said, you will be fine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I think you have to be sure that 24k will continue, a lot can happen in 4 years, markets can slump  currencies can change,  that 24k can change? Also in the UK inflation is creeping up, there is no guarantee that it will remain low but even at 2.5% PA, in 4 years that is cumulatively 10% if it stays as is and altho 24k seems ok at the start after 2 or 3 years of having to be careful with every penny  it gets a bit wearing, we have  just done 12 months on 18k and we have had to dip into savings to have holidays and pay for treats in order to make us feel like we are living, I will admit we like to have a full fridge but it was hardly lobster and steak.

I just flag these thoughts up because their are individuals on here who paint the UK like some nirvana of milk and honey and sunny uplands but their are significant downsides here,which if you are retiring early, you need to be aware of, cost of public transport, cheap towns for housing are cheap because of lack of work and investment and the environment is often quite trying, I would really chevk out where you are thinking of living and go and check out the services and check where the supermarkets are and are there any libraries and what is transport like.

I agree that a fixed income is subject to a lot of variables but, to be fair, that is true wherever you live in the world. From a UK point of view the country is still feeling the impact of the 2007 global financial crash and the politics of austerity, add in the murky waters of Brexit and it is difficult to know with any degree of certainty how standards of living will be affected in the longer term.  However in the meantime where you live in the UK can make a huge difference to lifestyle and well-being, so research is essential before any move I think.  Perhaps bear in mind that devolution is also a factor, what happens in England does not necessarily happen elsewhere in in the UK . My 60 year old friend knew she would no longer automatically receive free prescriptions when she moved a few miles out of Wales into England, but she was mightily miffed to discover she was no longer eligible for a free bus pass and will have to wait another five years or so until she reaches pension age and re-qualifies. Little things perhaps, but on a fixed income the little things can add up. T x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting and sobering responses, my thanks

The 24k per year will be held in savings accounts in Aus, and living money transferred over when needed or when the exchange rate is good.

Since I've lived in Au the low has been $1 = 32p the high $1 = 68p, so we're well aware of the fluctuations!!

We've made all our calculations based on the $Au staying above or around 50p, (currently 60.6p)

17 hours ago, bristolman said:

Believe me with that amount of money coming in on top of the 24k that will more than make up for any possible increase in the cost of living. 

As the overwhelming majority have said, you will be fine

When my wife's super kicks in, given a range of current exchange rate fluctuation, we should get between £40 and £60k per year.

Edited by Taff
  • Like 1