2 years back.....

thinker78

It is 2 years since our return to south east England. I don't come on here much now, as life is busy and we are settled, and there's barely any need to think about Australia. I read some posts today about those still split about returning or being homesick or divided about returning so felt compelled to post. For us, it has worked out. It's not been easy all the way at all. Starting again is always hard, no matter where or when you do it. It's normal to feel exhausted, question things and have to ride out the storms. Honestly though, absolutely 100% no regrets. I had 9 years down under, in various cities, and my child was born and raised Aussie till age 6. However, we are both really enjoying UK life. We do SO much more here- friends, family, trips, camping, holidays, cultural stuff (endless possibilities with day trips and sight seeing), beach (no snakes, flies, sunburn, things to kill you, and lots of sea side entertainment) woodland walks, you name it. I have made more 'new' friends since being back than many stints in soul-less Australian suburbs, and the old friends who stuck through my absence are just as wonderful. Downsides i have found are namely the same things I always thought were annoying- the negative UK media, the outrageous property prices in the south east, infrastructure which is bursting at the seams, and Jan and Feb were particularly grim. However, these are minor. Not having to deal with homesickness, missing people and that constant feeling of 'not being myself' is worth all that. I get up and can live life, without feeling displaced. Child has settled despite challenges- loves the variety of things we get up to, when i quiz her about the weather she says 'i don't think about the weather' and that's kids for you. I often wonder why I rarely if ever think of Australia- i think i'd had my fill. I'm not a beach or fishing person, BBQs bore me to tears, and at my older age I'm keener on a decent pub, good conversation, theatre, national trust, days out, humour, proximity to other interesting countries, camping without fear, and most importantly being with family whilst they are still around. Life is never perfect, but it's about where you fit. For some that will be Australia, for others here. Don't be unhappy though, as that's a waste of a journey. 

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, thinker78 said:

It is 2 years since our return to south east England. I don't come on here much now, as life is busy and we are settled, and there's barely any need to think about Australia. I read some posts today about those still split about returning or being homesick or divided about returning so felt compelled to post. For us, it has worked out. It's not been easy all the way at all. Starting again is always hard, no matter where or when you do it. It's normal to feel exhausted, question things and have to ride out the storms. Honestly though, absolutely 100% no regrets. I had 9 years down under, in various cities, and my child was born and raised Aussie till age 6. However, we are both really enjoying UK life. We do SO much more here- friends, family, trips, camping, holidays, cultural stuff (endless possibilities with day trips and sight seeing), beach (no snakes, flies, sunburn, things to kill you, and lots of sea side entertainment) woodland walks, you name it. I have made more 'new' friends since being back than many stints in soul-less Australian suburbs, and the old friends who stuck through my absence are just as wonderful. Downsides i have found are namely the same things I always thought were annoying- the negative UK media, the outrageous property prices in the south east, infrastructure which is bursting at the seams, and Jan and Feb were particularly grim. However, these are minor. Not having to deal with homesickness, missing people and that constant feeling of 'not being myself' is worth all that. I get up and can live life, without feeling displaced. Child has settled despite challenges- loves the variety of things we get up to, when i quiz her about the weather she says 'i don't think about the weather' and that's kids for you. I often wonder why I rarely if ever think of Australia- i think i'd had my fill. I'm not a beach or fishing person, BBQs bore me to tears, and at my older age I'm keener on a decent pub, good conversation, theatre, national trust, days out, humour, proximity to other interesting countries, camping without fear, and most importantly being with family whilst they are still around. Life is never perfect, but it's about where you fit. For some that will be Australia, for others here. Don't be unhappy though, as that's a waste of a journey. 

very pleased all has worked out for you thinker ..onwards and upwards

• Like 1

Thinker - you sound just like me on your reflections of the UK! I too prefer the rich culture and diversity the UK has to offer. Summer woodland walks, driving around villages on daytrips ending with a nice meal at a pub....

Well done on settling in. Regarding Australia, I always felt in the back of my mind that I never fitted in. The lack of culture here is in contrast to the amount of sunshine (which i try to sensibly avoid). It struck me the other day that no one in my 20 years in Australia has ever taught me how to say 'hello, how are you?' in Aboriginal. That says a lot in my book.

I am still in the middle of making THAT big decision to move. At present in the middle of selling my business in Australia. Once that is done, a long trip to the UK to explore is on the cards. Then the plan to decide what exactly to do for work in the UK once I arrive. How would they accept an ozzie-fied Brit? In any case, onwards and upwards!

11 hours ago, grizzly111 said:

.It struck me the other day that no one in my 20 years in Australia has ever taught me how to say 'hello, how are you?' in Aboriginal. That says a lot in my book.

Which of the 150 indigenous languages were you hoping to learn?

• Like 6

. It struck me the other day that no one in my 20 years in Australia has ever taught me how to say 'hello, how are you?' in Aboriginal. That says a lot in my book. 

Well some Random on the street is not going to come up and ask if you want to know how to say it!!  Did you ever ask anyone to teach you?if you were in Scotland would you expect everyone to know Gaelic 

Edited by AJ
  • Like 5

It struck me the other day that no one in my 20 years in Australia has ever taught me how to say 'hello, how are you?' in Aboriginal. That says a lot in my book.

If you consider this statement to have some relevance as to contribute to what you don't like about Australia then what exactly does it say? Because I'm at a loss as to what you are inferring?  Do Canadians know how to say it in Inuit? Do US citizens know how to say it in Cherokee? Does that say a lot about the USA and Canada and precisely what is that "lot"?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AJ said:

Well some Random on the street is not going to come up and ask if you want to know how to say it!!  Did you ever ask anyone to teach you?if you were in Scotland would you expect everyone to know Gaelic 

I was just thinking that too.  So funny!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grizzly111 said:

It struck me the other day that no one in my 20 years in Australia has ever taught me how to say 'hello, how are you?' in Aboriginal.

How many Aboriginal people do you mix with?  I'm pretty sure that there is not 1 Aboriginal language, each tribe is different.  It's like saying, I don't speak European - do you mean French, German, Spanish, Italian, English etc

• Like 1

I think it perhaps highlights the lack of appreciation we have for indigenous culture in Australia. Although, of course, this can be viewed on different levels. I can't speak for other countries. I communicate with and personally help many ATSI/indigenous members of the community often on a daily basis who all speak English so have never thought to ask, until I heard someone speaking an indigenous language on the radio during NAIDOC week. I wondered what they said. It was simple. They said hello, how are you?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grizzly111 said:

I think it perhaps highlights the lack of appreciation we have for indigenous culture in Australia. Although, of course, this can be viewed on different levels. I can't speak for other countries. I communicate with and personally help many ATSI/indigenous members of the community often on a daily basis who all speak English so have never thought to ask, until I heard someone speaking an indigenous language on the radio during NAIDOC week. I wondered what they said. It was simple. They said hello, how are you?

Devonport (Tassie) where I live has an Aboriginal Centre and Keeping Place.  It's situated on The Bluff where there are many Aboriginal sites.  The place was to be run by local Aborigines but over the last few years it's been run by local volunteers with the help of a few Aboriginal people.  I was there this afternoon.  

http://tiagarra.weebly.com/

This post is in danger of going off on a tangent and away from the original meaning of the post added by “thinker78”. This is a shame as thinker78 admitted that they have not been here often, but felt compelled to give their thoughts and words of wisdom. All in the hope that it would help people who are in two minds about moving or who are going to return back to the UK. For that we thank you thinker78.

It is great to hear that you have made it and that the move back for you has been one of total success. One of the things that are worrying us is the uncertainty of it all, the move back to the UK. Yes it is the place we know, love and feel home in, but we will be returning to no jobs and no place to love. So in certain respects the move back to the UK will be far harder than when we decided to come out here, at least for us. We will try to get work secured for our return, but that can be hard when not in the country. We are looking forward to all the things mentioned in this post though and when we go back in August (ready for the start of the new school year), hopefully the weather will still be nice. Reading success stories such as thinker78’s is always great and help reduce the worries. Thanks again for your post and letting us know that there can be (and often is) a happy story at the end of a big move back.

• Like 2

@Phil & Vikki it doesn't matter which way you go it is hard work . I have been back 3 months and reckon it will be the best part of a year before I am settled as buying property here is such a slow process.  Important to remember that packing up and leaving is only half the job and you will take some time to settle back in the UK and that is perfectly normal.

As for the weather still being nice I am hoping it starts to become nice, so far the summer has been below par. Here's hoping for an Indian summer ☺

On 30/07/2017 at 00:07, grizzly111 said:

It struck me the other day that no one in my 20 years in Australia has ever taught me how to say 'hello, how are you?' in Aboriginal. That says a lot in my book.

For 37 years, I lived just up the road from Wales and apart from learning the Welsh word for Service Station (thanks M4) my grasp of the language is poor.  Certainly I know more French or German than Welsh....  Here I'd say my kids understand more Mandarin than Aboriginal...

• Like 1

It does take time- i think at the 2 year mark, that's when things are really settled. I think it took me that much time in Australian cities too. The first 12 months can be bumpy. Re-adjusting to such a different country takes time. You are bound to question your decision but you have to keep moving forwards. There is so much to enjoy here still- don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. You're the ones who know what it's like to live far away and how you feel about it. The world is full of problems, not just the UK. You just try to focus on the positives. Some things will annoy you. Some things will give you utter joy. A sense of belonging is something I would never ever trade again. Good luck to all! 

• Like 4

So glad to read this and happy for you that it's all worked out. We are still at the deciding stage, DH & son are Aussie's, so a little different, we will always have a pull towards both places. Looking forward to a decider trip home for all the reasons you mentioned, oh the culture! Can't wait, thanks for sharing your experience

Sent from my A1601 using PomsinOz mobile app