Australians who travel the most

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The Australian suburb with the most well-travelled residents has been revealed in a new report.
According to new data from Flight Centre, residents from the affluent suburb of North Sydney – postcode 2060 – are the most travelled Australians in the country – they have the highest number of bookings and spend the most money while they're travelling.
The most popular destination for North Sydney residents is Britain, followed by stopover favourite Singapore and then Italy.
Other well-travelled postcodes include Werribee (3030) in Victoria, Brisbane City (4000), Caloundra in Queensland (4551), Rouse Hill in NSW (2155) and Wangara in WA (6065).
When it comes to states and territories, Northern Territorians are the most travelled residents of Australia.
According to the Flight Centre report, Northern Territorians each travel an average of 537.52 kilometres per person to reach their holiday destination.
People living in Australia's Capital Territory were the second most travelled, clocking up 525.65 kilometres per capita.
The report also found that Victorians travel more than New South Welshman, and Tasmanians travelled the least amount of anyone.
The Turner Report, named after the Flight Centre's SEO Graham "Skroo" Turner, taps into the company's database of customers, which is then used to explore Australian travel trends.
Information obtained from the report feeds into a dedicated online website that allows you to search for travel information based on postcodes.
Called Postcodes and Postcards: Australians on the Move in the Golden Age of Travel, you can find, for example, the top five locations people who live in Fitzroy, Victoria, travelled to (the US and Papua New Guinea were the top two), if they're travelling in a group or independently, and how much they are spending.
The report also gives other insights into travellers, such as which age group travels the most (25-29) and the most popular time of year to travel (December).
The average Australian traveller is reportedly a 47-year-old male who travels for 15 days.
Australia's most well-travelled suburbs
North Sydney, NSW
Campbelltown, NSW
Wangara, WA
Rouse Hill, NSW
Werribee, VIC
Cranbourne, VIC
Liverpool, NSW
Success, WA
Gosford, NSW
Mandurah, WA

Australia's biggest spenders on travel
North Sydney, NSW
Brisbane City, QLD
Rouse Hill, NSW
Wangara, WA
Campbelltown, NSW
Werribee, VIC
Gosford, NSW
Baulkham Hills, NSW
Caloundra, QLD
Liverpool, NSW

4 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

That's because you don't go camping enough. We should be out every weekend lol.

30th August...Biggest, longest and, hopefully, with a beaut pommie family. Going to check out a garnet deposit I found...And a bit of fishing.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, ali said:

Mandurah and success have massive Brit populations 

Amazing! Last time I went to Mandurah, it had about 7 shops and was strictly a retirement village and the 'old coast road' was all dirt (1963). What infrastructure does it have, to draw so many people there?

Cheers, Bobj.

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

Amazing! Last time I went to Mandurah, it had about 7 shops and was strictly a retirement village and the 'old coast road' was all dirt (1963). What infrastructure does it have, to draw so many people there?

Cheers, Bobj.

Massive now Bob.  When we moved here Baldivis was rural - I worked with a nurse who always kept telling me she lived on acreage in Baldivis - lots of housing estates there now.  Byford nr. Armadale is also a very fast growing suburb.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Very different now! Go to google images and type in Mandurah. Very little need for anyone who lives there to ever bother going to Perth. It is very much a city in its own right. 

• Like 1

Most people I know who travel all the time wouldn't go through Flight Centre though. When you are retired you have to make the most of the time you have left so you do travel a lot.  We go overseas 2 or 3 times a year ( mainly to Asia). Many of our friends seem to be going round Russia and Scandinavia just now- but certainly not through Flight Centre!

13 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Most people I know who travel all the time wouldn't go through Flight Centre though. When you are retired you have to make the most of the time you have left so you do travel a lot.  We go overseas 2 or 3 times a year ( mainly to Asia). Many of our friends seem to be going round Russia and Scandinavia just now- but certainly not through Flight Centre!

I once contacted Flightcentre by e-mail, received an initial polite reply, explained I wanted a price match on an itinerary (low fare guarantee as per website), they just didn't reply, tried e-mailing twice more, no replies. Clearly they know the clientele they want (naive walk in customers probably) but certainly the low fare guarantee is probably not worth it for them. 

I find Flight Centre here in Tasmania excellent, they usually have  some sort of deal with partner airlines that avoid s paying the Tassie mainland leg.  They certainly price match for me.. I tend to hold onto a good person and use them on a regular basis. On line doesnt always mean the best deal.

• Like 1

Never had an issue with Flight Centre and they've always honoured their price match.  They aren't perfect and will certainly try and flog their own insurance products to you, but they've also always taken care of me and have generally been pretty good to deal with.

I wonder with the poster above the timing comes into it; to get the fare match you have to come in *on the same day* with a quote that's been taken all the way through to the payment page otherwise it's not considered valid.  I've done that numerous times and they've always matched it; the advantage of doing that is that they also waive any credit card fees as the price has to match no matter what your payment method is.

• Like 2

I booked my flight back on line with FC as they were the cheapest, never went near a shop or a real person.

Subsequently booked a flight with Expedia which was a nightmare. It was a return trip but the return flight was a different airline. The system only booked the outward flight, I only realised this when I checked my credit card statement. Had to go back and book the second flight again. The confirmation emails were useless, full of upseling hotels and cars but no itinerary info. Plenty of subsequent spam to upsell me hotels and excusions as well. What really annoyed me was that the system clearly stated 2 bookings would be needed but after selecting that itinerary didn't prompt me when it failed to book the second flight. Won't  be using them again. 

A useful tip when booking searching flights on line, if you go back to a site a few hours or days later clear your cookies first. It's  common practice to increase prices of flights you have looked at previously to make you think they are selling out. Clear your cookies and low and behold the price drops down again. Read this tip in a travel section of one of the broadsheets and can confirm  it works.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eera said:

Never had an issue with Flight Centre and they've always honoured their price match.  They aren't perfect and will certainly try and flog their own insurance products to you, but they've also always taken care of me and have generally been pretty good to deal with.

I wonder with the poster above the timing comes into it; to get the fare match you have to come in *on the same day* with a quote that's been taken all the way through to the payment page otherwise it's not considered valid.  I've done that numerous times and they've always matched it; the advantage of doing that is that they also waive any credit card fees as the price has to match no matter what your payment method is.

No complaints about FC either.  They generally match other flights I look at on the internet.  

• Like 1