back in uk from perth

jgt

Hi there not been on for some time ,i have got back in the UK after having worked my nuts off in Perth for 4 years.i simply cannot afford it any more.  I achieved getting my Building Diploma, does anyone know if this is transferable in the UK .    PS isnt beer cheap here wohooooo

• Like 3

Hi @jgt

I'm moving from Perth to England (Peterborough to start) on 26 July - I'm Australian born and bred so moving to England for first time at 48yrs. Eeeekk.  Hope all is going well with you.  Lived in Perth all my life and it's very expensive now, I don't know how some survive on retail wages etc.  But the weather and environment here is fantastic.

I'm not sure where you obtained your course from but most accredited training providers, universities (& the like - CIPS, RICS etc) all have Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) or something similar to recognise and accept courses from other institutions / countries.  The codes / legislation you've learned may be different so there may be some bridging courses required to align and get your credentials recognised. 

Depending on who you want to get your existing qualification recognised with; I'd provide them with the full unit / course list and see what they can do - remember their goal is to make money and will probably try and push you to resit / study more courses.  But you can have this discussion if they start going down this path.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2017 at 19:53, jgt said:

Hi there not been on for some time ,i have got back in the UK after having worked my nuts off in Perth for 4 years.i simply cannot afford it any more.  I achieved getting my Building Diploma, does anyone know if this is transferable in the UK .    PS isnt beer cheap here wohooooo

when I left in 2007 we was paying over $10 a pint.....that was in a local cricket club.....how much is a pint now?

• Like 1

On 27/06/2017 at 19:53, jgt said:

welcome back by the way.....I remember you posting before and during your move....what did you make of it out there and was cost of living the only reason you returned?

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 02:53, jgt said:

Hi 

Sorry I can't offer any advice on your building diploma but we are in Perth and returning to UK in April, we can't wait to have a pint in the pub, how much is a pint there?   We are in the same position and cannot believe the cost of living here and although my husband earns better money here, he has to bloody work hard for it.  So hard he just had to have 6 weeks off because of a hernia. Worked to the point of breaking.  They say you work hard, play hard here but to be honest it's a piss take.  Work hard, then pay it all out for bills, tax and whatever else needs paying for, not a lot left for playtime unless you want to hang out at the beach and get skin cancer, husband had that too since being here.

We can't wait to go home.

I hope you are happier back in Blighty, good luck with it all

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kungfustu said:

when I left in 2007 we was paying over $10 a pint.....that was in a local cricket club.....how much is a pint now?

Hi there anything from 12 to 20 dollars in town !! ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jgt said:

Just got back from South Shields, which I was amazed how popular it is with tourists, though not at all surprised, haven visited (they have really got it together as a place to visit) and in a mid range pub on the main drag paid £8.60 for two pints and a double scotch (mid range single malt). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jgt said:

Bl##dy hell.....so that's about £7 to £11.50 a pint:eek:

So if I was to go into town it would cost about 20 quid for a pint an a glass of wine.....is the cost of living really that high?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pome sammy said:

Hi 

Sorry I can't offer any advice on your building diploma but we are in Perth and returning to UK in April, we can't wait to have a pint in the pub, how much is a pint there?   We are in the same position and cannot believe the cost of living here and although my husband earns better money here, he has to bloody work hard for it.  So hard he just had to have 6 weeks off because of a hernia. Worked to the point of breaking.  They say you work hard, play hard here but to be honest it's a piss take.  Work hard, then pay it all out for bills, tax and whatever else needs paying for, not a lot left for playtime unless you want to hang out at the beach and get skin cancer, husband had that too since being here.

I was in wetherspoons last night. £1.99 for a pint of IPA. That's about $3 in your money.

Guinness £3.30 a pint.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jgt said:

Probably more $10-$15 for a drink (pint, wine, short) still a rip off, about 20-25% more expensive than Sydney.

Cocktails $15-$20

A ;lot of people don't frequent bars.  They buy from the bottlo and either invite people around or visit other friends at home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Is cheap alcohol really a good thing ?

Are you asking whether cheap alcohol encourages drinking?

Do alcoholics drink socially?

Does the UK have more of a drink problem than Australia?

Last I heard pubs were shutting in droves in the UK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, newjez said:

Do alcoholics drink socially?

Does the UK have more of a drink problem than Australia?

Last I heard pubs were shutting in droves in the UK.

Its sad that a lot of older local pubs are closing but from what i see its more of a cull.  The large unviable business models are going but are being replaced by smaller more efficient pubs and bars.  I feel sorry for people in rural areas who lose their pubs but it generally down to people preferring to drink at home, its a case of use it or lose it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, newjez said:

I don't think Alcohol or cigarettes should be too cheap.

It would encourage binge drinking and problems with young people getting on the drink all the time.

Not that it should be prohibitively expensive either but at a level that stops people going stupid.

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

It would encourage binge drinking and problems with young people getting on the drink all the time.

Not that it should be prohibitively expensive either but at a level that stops people going stupid.

There is an argument that social drinking is good for mental health. Pb had a long thread on the subject.

But I also think you have a valid point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Parley said:

so drinking and smoking should only be for the rich?

37 minutes ago, simmo said:

so drinking and smoking should only be for the rich?

I didn't say that exactly.

But since you mention it, poor people eat a lot more junk food, chips and coke than better off people.

So if alcohol is too cheap then I think poor people may well over indulge on alcohol too.

It should be expensive enough that most people can enjoy a few drinks now and then but not get smashed every night.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

It doesn't work though. Look at drinking rates around the world. For example, Sweden has a major issue with alcohol, but it is crazy expensive and highly regulated - can only buy it from state owned shops and they are only open very restricted times. At the same time, countries such as Italy and Spain have very cheap prices, available pretty much round the clock, but low problems with it

• Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:14, Pome sammy said:

Hi 

current beer prices in the west midlands

WP_20170531_12_58_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20170531_12_58_42_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Good theory but doesn't work in practice.

Ireland has a big binge drinking issue and one of the highest level of alcohol taxes in Europe.

With you on the smokes though - wouldn't be legal if introduced today

On 28/06/2017 at 04:53, jgt said:

Hi there not been on for some time ,i have got back in the UK after having worked my nuts off in Perth for 4 years.i simply cannot afford it any more.  

Must admit that we hear this quite a bit these days, that the cost of living is forcing people to pack up and go back to the UK. These days, the whole idea of the work life balance seems to be more and more un-achievable for people. The sheer cost of house prices and general living is going up so much that the lion’s share of peoples wage is spent on just getting through. When it is like this you kind of think what is the point in chasing the dream that is getting further and further away? We are not in that position, but still want to move back to the UK. Our reasons are simply due to missing family members, the desire to be back in familiar surroundings and simply it turning from a dream into something well less than a dream. It is not a nightmare, but it is not the dream we thought it would be.

• Like 2

Perth bar prices are expensive they add in wage costs and rent for premises and as these are amongst the highest in the world said beverages go up in relation to that, conversion rates show a £3.40 Guinness as $5.79 here today plus those extras make an average Guinness here $10.60 - mining boom prices in a downturned economy...

Spoons have special offers on different brands every day with guinness being about £2.00 on mondays up to about £2.60 other times but on any day you can get a great selection of beers for well under £3.00 a pint.  Pubs here also have wages, rent/rates to pay.

Edited by simmo
  • Like 1