4 hours ago, @dream_aus said:

Not sure, but I think yes, you have to pay.

4 hours ago, Woidy said:

Hi. Is any body knows if we have to pay for medical examination if we have medicare . Help please

Yes you have to pay, and it is quite expensive too. They want to make money on everything 

4 hours ago, Woidy said:

Hi. Is any body knows if we have to pay for medical examination if we have medicare . Help please

of course you have to pay. Why should the Australian taxpayer have to pay for you to have a visa medical? It has to be done through a private company and so you have tp pay them. 

On 03/11/2018 at 13:22, SKG said:

Could you please more clarification because my situation is same.i got my nomination in may.my question how did your MA approach to immigration.did you complaint on Facebook?thanks.

Hi SKG, let me know how it goes because I got my nomination in May as well. Thank you

UPDATE SPREADSHEET - GOLDEN E-MAIL 

Hi All,

Could update the spreadsheet, please? I have received my GOLDEN E-MAIL last week

Melissa (line19 - spreadsheet)

Production Engineer

Number people: 3

Direct Entry

Nomination Date: 05/03/2018

VISA GRANT DATE: 30/10/2018 

I have not received any contact to ask more documents before the visa grant date

GOOD LUCK FOR EVERYONE!!!

6 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Hi All,

Could update the spreadsheet, please? I have received my GOLDEN E-MAIL last week

Production Engineer

Direct Entry

I have not received any contact to ask more documents before the visa grant date

Looks like March is on fire. Congratulations!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Hi All,

Production Engineer

Direct Entry

Congratulations !!!!

Not sure if it's been asked before. 

We are on 457, applied 186 in Feb.

As far as I understand we are eligible for Medicare (blue or something like this).

Question: if we will apply to Medicare and we will get it, do we still need to pay for 457 Health Insurance (Private fund)? 

As far as I understand as we are still on 457 (expires 2020) we must have the appropriate level of cover.  Is Medicare cover good enough? 

How does it work?

Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

As far as I understand we are eligible for Medicare (blue or something like this).

Question: if we will apply to Medicare and we will get it, do we still need to pay for 457 Health Insurance (Private fund)? 

As far as I understand as we are still on 457 (expires 2020) we must have the appropriate level of cover.  Is Medicare cover good enough? 

How does it work?

Thanks. 

I'm not an expert but from various Googling I've had to do (I found it quite confusing to start with) this is the conclusion I've come to:

You'll still need to have sufficient medical insurance (as well as Medicare) until the 186 is granted. 

In some circumstances (level of health insurance you're paying for, reciprocal healthcare country etc.) you might be able to be exempt from the levy when you do your tax return - I'd check with your MA and health insurance provider to be sure though

28 minutes ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

How does it work?

Thanks. 

I am not sure whether Medicare is sufficient to meet 457 health requirements if you are still on 457.

But from a tax refund perspective, it's ideal that you maintain a private insurance if you can afford it. Basically, come tax time, Medicare pays you back the Medicare Surcharge. So if you take out a private insurance, you get better coverage for the amount (Surcharge) that you would have otherwise paid to Medicare. Speak to a private insurer and they will be able to explain it better. FYI, I am using BUPA.

And get it asap, cos I lost around $2000 in 2018 cos I waited 1 month after getting Medicare to get my private insurance. Your 457 visitor insurance is not eligible for Medicare surcharge refund once you are on Medicare.

And as @Watters mentioned, depends on whether you have a reciprocal insurance, which we didn't.

Edited by rontho
Add information

44 minutes ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

How does it work?

Thanks. 

Everyone has a different opinion on this. My two cents:

457 requires you to have a certain level of coverage. That certain level is actually below what Medicare offers and therefore being on Medicare will suffice (for those interested, it is Medicare level cover minus GP visits).

However,  there are other things to consider. Firstly, depending on your wage, you will probably need some level of private cover to avoid the medicare levy surcharge (MLS). So, taking medicare and giving up on private insurance will cost you roughly the same as taking medicare and having the lowest level of cover possible to avoid the MLS. 

Not having private cover also has other repercussions such as the lifetime health cover loading that will apply if you do take one in the future.

More importantly, signing up for Medicare means that you cannot claim an exemption on the medicare levy in your tax return (which you can on a 457). In my case, it makes no sense financially to sign up for medicare. Here's how: As a couple, our health insurance is about $210 a month. And we pay (and claim a refund on) around $350 a month of medicare levy. If we take medicare, our insurance will come down to around $160 a month but the $350 will now be non-refundable, so we'll end up paying $300 more every month. Given that we are very fit and don't really want medicare (we can get much better insurance for around ~!$350), I've decided not to sign up till I have an option.

Hope this helps.

32 minutes ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

I believe it's BUPA 457 visitor insurance, it has hospital cover + extras, dentist, all this sort of things. 

Ok, here is what happened to me. Hopefully, this is useful for others as well.

Medicare approved on 7/2/2018. I got my BUPA private insurance on 15/3/2018. Effectively, waited more than a month. The Lifetime Health Cover letter from Medicare only suggested getting a private cover within 12 months, so I just assumed I have time since I am on 457 visitor cover as well.

@ICT Customer Support Officer Two things you need to be aware of

1. 457 visitor insurance does not qualify for the Lifetime Healthcover Loadings Rebate. So change to a domestic private cover asap if you are still within 12 months of receiving Medicare. If you miss the 12 month Medicare cut-off, you will effectively be paying 2% additional premium every year after 30. I.e., 2% for 30, 4% for 31, 6% for 32, etc. upto a max of 20% if I am not wrong.  https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/insurancerebate.htm
  2. Once your Medicare is approved, you have to pay your Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy surcharge (MLS). However, if you are on a domestic private insurance, you can technically claim back your MLS portion during the annual tax filing. I was on 457 visitor insurance from 7/2/2018 to 15/3/2018, and had to pay for my visitor cover, Medicare Levy and MLS. I could have technically claimed back my MLS if I had got my domestic private insurance on 7/2/2018 itself, instead of waiting more than a month. Lost significant amount of money.

Again, 457 VISITOR HEALTH INSURANCE IS NOT THE SAME AS DOMESTIC PRIVATE INSURANCE. Speak to your private insurer asap for more details.

Edited: As @Sickofqueuessuggested, the refund amount that you can receive really depends on total family income. From what i recollect, generally, if you are a low earner, you are better off without private insurance. Whereas, high earner, you are better off getting a private insurance. Again, your private insurer will be the best person to advise you on this based on your personal circumstances.

Edited by rontho

1 hour ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

How does it work?

Thanks. 

Yes but medicare does not cover ambulance services (mandatory for who isnt permanent yet ) so you can cancel ur private health insurance and enroll medicare +  find your selfr a cheap ambulance service provider . I ve got st. John ambulance $80 per year family pack 

1 hour ago, rontho said:

Ok, here is what happened to me. Hopefully, this is useful for others as well.

Medicare approved on 7/2/2018. I got my BUPA private insurance on 15/3/2018. Effectively, waited more than a month. The Lifetime Health Cover letter from Medicare only suggested getting a private cover within 12 months, so I just assumed I have time since I am on 457 visitor cover as well.

@ICT Customer Support Officer Two things you need to be aware of

1. 457 visitor insurance does not qualify for the Lifetime Healthcover Loadings Rebate. So change to a domestic private cover asap if you are still within 12 months of receiving Medicare. If you miss the 12 month Medicare cut-off, you will effectively be paying 2% additional premium every year after 30. I.e., 2% for 30, 4% for 31, 6% for 32, etc. upto a max of 20% if I am not wrong.  https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/insurancerebate.htm
  2. Once your Medicare is approved, you have to pay your Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy surcharge (MLS). However, if you are on a domestic private insurance, you can technically claim back your MLS portion during the annual tax filing. I was on 457 visitor insurance from 7/2/2018 to 15/3/2018, and had to pay for my visitor cover, Medicare Levy and MLS. I could have technically claimed back my MLS if I had got my domestic private insurance on 7/2/2018 itself, instead of waiting more than a month. Lost significant amount of money.

Again, 457 VISITOR HEALTH INSURANCE IS NOT THE SAME AS DOMESTIC PRIVATE INSURANCE. Speak to your private insurer asap for more details.

Edited: As @Sickofqueuessuggested, the refund amount that you can receive really depends on total family income. From what i recollect, generally, if you are a low earner, you are better off without private insurance. Whereas, high earner, you are better off getting a private insurance. Again, your private insurer will be the best person to advise you on this based on your personal circumstances.

In my case, I have both Interim Medicare and Bupa. I was with Bupa since the first day of 457 (Bronze Essential Visitor) until I got Interim Medicare. After having Interim Medicare, I changed my Bupa package to Basic Hospital with your Choice Extras. I don't want to quit Bupa while waiting for 186 granted.

Since I have Interim Medicare, I use it for all appointment with GP, testings and examinations and Interim Medicare covers all costs. Bupa does not pay all for the testings, they paid about 50% only as I experienced once.

Another example is I was advised by the GP that I needed to take an iron injection which costs $170 for the procedure (Medicare will cover $120) and the medicine costs $40 which I have to pay. So out of pocket I need to pay $90

With the same thing, I emailed Bupa to ask how much they can cover for both procedure and medicine, but they said they are not belong to the covering list so I have to pay them all from my pocket.

I use Bupa for other things that I know it covers such as Prescription glasses and basic dental check up and cleaning. It does cover some for filling as well.

For anything, I always check in advance if the costs would be covered either by Interim Medicare or Bupa before I decided to take any services.

2 hours ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

How does it work?

Thanks. 

My situation is the same, 457 and applied for 186 in Feb. My MA confirmed that Medicare is appropriate level cover (after having applied for it and received my medicare card) and that I did not need the Bupa cover any more.

I already did my tax return this year and didn't get back any medicare levy since the day of my 186 application. They charge you those taxes wether you choose to use medicare or not.

Now I am on Medicare and changed my Bupa plan to a better one that has extras and hospital cover, for basically the same money I was paying before.

Hi all,

Silent reader but decided to start responding to some questions and here is my profile/timeline update:

ENS 186 DE

2 people HR countries

Onshore

Visa and nomination lodged on Feb 2018

Have already updated this in the Google spreadsheet. I am also in the process of securing my Canadian PR because I have very limited expectations from the Australian immigration system.

Good luck everyone and let's keep sharing information like we do to keep the clock ticking.

4 hours ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

How does it work?

Thanks. 

This is what I found, and according to what it states, Medicare is an acceptable evidence of health cover. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/485/Acceptable-evidence-of-health-cover.aspx

You can verify the webpage. See what you think. 

Acceptable evidence of health cover

• When you apply for your visa, you must either:
  • produce a valid Medicare card or receipt of enrolment with Medicare, or
  • provide evidence that you and anyone included in your application have arranged health insurance in Australia.

Providing the Health Insurance Standard Template Letter completed by an insurance provider with your application is sufficient evidence that the insurance meets the minimum level of coverage required.

If you hold a passport from a country where Australia has reciprocal health care agreements (RHCA), you might satisfy the health insurance requirement. More information is available at Department of Human Services website.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ICT Customer Support Officer said:

How does it work?

Thanks. 

Yes, you still have to keep your private health insurance while your 457 visa is valid. Once you move to your bridge visa then you can cancel it. I am at the same situation, spoke to migration department and they told me so. If you will cancel your private health insurance then you brige 457 visa requirements which is “you have to have private health insurance “. That doesn’t make sense!but it is what it is