Moving back to the UK in February

MelbourneTractor

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flights booked, shipping organised and family told...

But, we've just come back from a week in cairns and now I'm worried that I've made a mistake.

I want to go home as I miss friends and family but good lord Australia is wonderful.

We made the move back to the uk after spending 5 years in oz. First year novelty, after that we realised we'd made a massive mistake. Moved back to oz and honestly couldn't wait to get back! It's not perfect, nowhere is, but as much as I like the uk, I just don't like living there. We went back for a visit in November which confirmed we'd made the right decision. We had citizenship so easy for us to return. Good luck, hope you'll be happier on your return.

Flights booked, shipping organised and family told...

But, we've just come back from a week in cairns and now I'm worried that I've made a mistake.

I want to go home as I miss friends and family but good lord Australia is wonderful.

It's totally normal to be having niggling doubts, I would be more surprised if you said you

weren't having doubts.

We went through it all before leaving Brisbane and for 6 months we wondered if it was the

right thing but since then there has been no doubt at all and we all love it. Put it this way

if tomorrow I decided to return to Australia I would be going on my own lol.

We spent 2 weeks in Singapore on the way back to England and had an absolute ball BUT

it was a holiday nothing more. Your week in Cairns showed you that being on holiday is nice.

I wouldn't ping pong because you will eat up all of your money.

The same old problems will only just resurface again.

Come home by all means but pick a place to live and stick with it, and don't keep looking back at what you had on the other side.

Personally I did not like Australia, and will never forget how I felt about it in the last couple of years That's the part that sticks with me most.

It's a hard decision and one that you can never be sure will be right or not. Leap of faith! I do wish you all the very best and hope it does work out for you whichever way you decide. If you feel deep in your heart that you must and need to be with your family then that is what you must do. I'm sure you'll have smiley days in the future :-)

We didn't live near to family when we lived in the UK, but we were nearer than we are here. Living a couple of hours away by car or plane is vastly easier and more convenient than living a minimum of 24 hours on a plane away. Wherever we choose to live in the UK we could easily spend school holidays, Christmas etc with family, since it wouldn't involve a 24 hour journey and $8000 in plane tickets.

ETA: Actually I can't believe that someone actually questioned the difference between being in the same country as family versus being at the other side of the world, as if there is no difference. There is a huge difference! A map should help!

I've seen my sister and brothers more times in the last two years than they have seen each other. They all live in Perth, I'm in Sussex. Sometimes it's not just distance that keeps you apart. Although my mum's sister died last year and my mum was too I'll to fly over for the funeral. That's when the distance really hits home hard.

But it is a big step. You all want to put your demons to rest before you go. But sometimes you just don't know till you do.

Edited by newjez

Some problems will just follow you wherever you decide to live. If you are the sort of person who really doesn't know exactly what you want out of life, moving to the other side of the planet especially to a remote isolated country like Australia will not solve anything, may make things worse. Pick a place, stop looking back and fawning over what you once had, just stay in one place and get on with building up a life. No place is ever going to be perfect. Even though many of us love the UK, it is far from perfect, but I love it here and it works for me. Whatever problems drove you out of Australia last time will only drive you back out again. You left it once already. Its okay when you are young, you have time to play with and time to rebuild what you lose. Doing this when you are middle aged comes with many more challenges.

Thanks everyone.

I had a good chat with a few people back home on Skype and a job interview for a role back in Leicester, I'm feeling a lot more positive about the move but will still be a little sad to leave.

PS go Renegades this evening 

Leicester is a great city and has a lot to offer including easy access to so many other parts of the country. I loved my years there. Good luck.

The great thing about UK is how there are so many decent places to go and live/work in.

When you shift all your stuff back home, it may take you a while to get the stuff out of storage and into your permanent home after weeks or even months of renting or living in digs/ lodging with family etc. Its something we all have to go through, not fun but we have to start out somewhere again.

Our economy is growing faster than I have ever seen for many years, so you will be alright.

Good times are ahead, even though the prophets of doom said our economy and banking system would crash and all the multi national companies will pull out, move to Ireland or Paris etc which none of them have done as yet.

Even all the celebrities and pop stars who publicly stated that they would leave Britain if it voted to leave the EU are still hanging around !! (more's the pity as we could manage fine without some of them)

The great thing about UK is how there are so many decent places to go and live/work in.

When you shift all your stuff back home, it may take you a while to get the stuff out of storage and into your permanent home after weeks or even months of renting or living in digs/ lodging with family etc. Its something we all have to go through, not fun but we have to start out somewhere again.

Our economy is growing faster than I have ever seen for many years, so you will be alright.

Good times are ahead, even though the prophets of doom said our economy and banking system would crash and all the multi national companies will pull out, move to Ireland or Paris etc which none of them have done as yet.

Even all the celebrities and pop stars who publicly stated that they would leave Britain if it voted to leave the EU are still hanging around !! (more's the pity as we could manage fine without some of them)

All bluff and bulshite, where are the companies wg

ho said if we left would relocate? Ohhhhhh look the footsie is at an all time high for a decade and firms are doing well, these pathetic nobodies who said they would leave are still here. lol

Guest lee godsell

I have also booked a one way flight back to the UK in April.

i have been here 5 years, and think I have had enough now

like they said when I left the UK that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

i live in Perth which has amazing weather and beaches, but it is so hard to make friends here,

i also find a lot of Australians to be rude and have big mouths, which must be in the bloodline from the crims sent from the uk.

will be glad to get back to my family and friends and some proper pubs.

Jeez do you ever give it a rest! Unbelievable!

Sorry why would he need to give it a rest? , not everyone is blinkered by Australia.

I have now lived here for 5 years. we are hopefully moving back this year already been waiting 18 months longer than we wanted due to legal issues. bar the weather Australia, does not have a patch on the UK.... thats my opinion however others will rightly disagree, Bristol could tell you to give it a rest harping on about how great Australia is.

Leicester is a great city and has a lot to offer including easy access to so many other parts of the country. I loved my years there. Good luck.
I had a holiday there, saw the space station, liked the countryside, it is central, but the place just had the feel of a large expanded council estate to me. Worn out and depressed. I wouldn't put it in my top ten places to live in the UK. But it was only a holiday. Maybe I missed the hidden jems of the place.

Sorry why would he need to give it a rest? , not everyone is blinkered by Australia.

I have now lived here for 5 years. we are hopefully moving back this year already been waiting 18 months longer than we wanted due to legal issues. bar the weather Australia, does not have a patch on the UK.... thats my opinion however others will rightly disagree, Bristol could tell you to give it a rest harping on about how great Australia is.

'Like'. You are absolutely right though, they can wax lyrical about how great everything is in Australia but don't you dare say how great it is here, which it is.