Reasons for moving back to UK?

Suziedoll

If I was thinking of emigrating to Oz and read these comments I would go and drown myself. Please realise that this particular part of the forum is mainly for those who haven't really settled - there are far more of us who have and are leading very happy lives and wouldn't dream of going back,ever.

Good for you but this is the section for those going or planning on returning to the UK so the fact that you would never ever go back really is irrelevant.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I let most of the anti-Perth rhetoric fly over my head but I really take issue with the weather comments as they are usually grossly exaggerated.

Save for a couple of hot months in summer, the weather is pretty darn good. The 35C+ days are not very pleasant but we are only average 15 of those a year. Even then, one would normally enjoy the cooler mornings and late afternoons and simply avoid the middle of the day. No big deal for most.

Those complaining of 'freezing' houses in winter...really? Reverse cycle AC and gas / oil heaters are pretty good to keep off any chill experienced. Hats and gloves indoors are certainly not the norm!!

Equally I suppose those who claim you are stuck indoors in the UK for 6 months of the year or that it rains literally all the time, there is rubbish everywhere etc etc.

Thank you all so so much for replying. Really appreciate all your views and stories and hope to reply to each of you in next few days. Have 2 little ones and am pregnant so hardly get a minute to myself.

I fear I will never be able to make a decision.

We will most certainly be a lot worse off financially in Oz. I know money isn't everything but it sure does make for an easier life. Not that we are loaded or anything but we are comfortable.

Suppose my next question to you all would be would you have made the move knowing you would be worse off financially? Like considerably worse off?

Wondering if staying in UK and buying a small holiday home in Spain might be a better solution. But I so hate the bitter cold lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

With hindsight no - unless you make other changes in your life - move from a city to the country, change careers, give up working or whatever - then your life in Australia will be pretty much the same as it is now - maybe in the summer instead of going over to friends for dinner you may go over for a BBQ, perhaps instead of a walk in the woods you'll go to the beach on a Sunday morning but nothing that makes any real difference to your quality of life. If you want to change how you live your life there are far easy ways than moving 10,000 miles!

There are a few professions, mostly public sector (teachers, nurses etc.) and trades that do seem to be better off in Australia - the unions have a bigger role to play so working conditions tend to be better and the demand means salaries are better plus the greater prevalence of private schools and healthcare presumably makes a difference.

If you are going to be significantly worse off financially then there honestly seems virtually no point in going. The weather is not better, it is just different - my experience in Perth was I ended up hiding indoors just as much in the Summer because it was too hot as I do in the winter in Scotland - if anything more so as the right clothes can cope with the cold but Air Con is the only way to escape the heat. And the cold in the winter may surprise you! The houses are built to be cool and without central heating are hard to get comfortable - open plan is the norm, which I love, but again isn't conducive to keeping warm. You acclimatise too so 25 degrees no longer feels warm - I remember us abandoning a picnic because we were 'too cold' at that temperature! Once you buy/build your own place it isn't so bad but when you're renting it can be a nightmare - our first rental had no air con/heating and the second did but it was so ancient and inefficient the one month we put it on (bearing in mine we were out all day at work) our electricity bill was $400!

I was not the one that was behind our move to Australia and I really questioned my OH's motivation - given what he wanted to achieve I suggested an alternative of buying a place in the French alps and spending all school holidays there - our work allows us to take time off if we want as we are both self-employed. He now deeply regrets not taking that option!

Given you are pregnant I would say make no decisions for at least 18 months - I know in the first year after having my son i made some decisions that with hindsight weren't the best ones - although I think the first is maybe more life-changing than the 3rd but hormones still have a part to play.

Perhaps take a 'year out' and have a 'working holiday' in Australia like students do - I don't regret going but I do regret going with the view that it was 'forever' - i wish we'd just gone for a years adventure - I felt like that was unfair on my son but actually I think he has benefited from what turned out to be a 5 year adventure :)

I let most of the anti-Perth rhetoric fly over my head but I really take issue with the weather comments as they are usually grossly exaggerated.

Save for a couple of hot months in summer, the weather is pretty darn good. The 35C+ days are not very pleasant but we are only average 15 of those a year. Even then, one would normally enjoy the cooler mornings and late afternoons and simply avoid the middle of the day. No big deal for most.

Those complaining of 'freezing' houses in winter...really? Reverse cycle AC and gas / oil heaters are pretty good to keep off any chill experienced. Hats and gloves indoors are certainly not the norm!!

Sorry, but that is our genuine experience of 8 years there.

Yes you can run reverse AC, if you have a very healthy bank account that you don't mind handing over the for the privilege.

We did have a electric heater, but in open plan houses it is almost impossible

With the heat, we found December, January and February too hot. Spring and autumn were very pleasant.

The Spain or Portugal thing may change in the near future due to Brexti. BUT then again who knows what will actually happen.

You second point scares me as I am relocating to Canada, originally from the UK to AU.

Don't think the e.u thing will change as regards property ...too much tit for tat .

The reason the lady didn't like Canada was that it was cold for 5 months a year ...and too bloody far for shops ,leisure etc .....40km drive for this ...50 km drive for that .

Everything I need is within a mile ..

Even a top curry house is a 10 minute walk ....petrol station with atm 5 minutes....

Yep one small gas heater was sufficient for us for an hour in the morning and two at night. Clearly confusing Perths , either Tassie or Scotland not sure which ?

Sorry, but that is our genuine experience of 8 years there.

Yes you can run reverse AC, if you have a very healthy bank account that you don't mind handing over the for the privilege.

We did have a electric heater, but in open plan houses it is almost impossible

With the heat, we found December, January and February too hot. Spring and autumn were very pleasant.

Our experience too - it was a bit different in our own house which was designed to be solar passive but we still 'rugged up' in the winter - whereas here I am in what has been the coldest day of the season so far (minus 1 this morning) wearing just a T-shirt indoors.

Yep one small gas heater was sufficient for us for an hour in the morning and two at night. Clearly confusing Perths , either Tassie or Scotland not sure which 

It depends hugely on the house - aspect, construction, windows, insulation etc. etc. We lived in 3 different houses, two rented and one that we built and there was a huge difference.

Not sure why you have to be so rude to someone sharing their experience - your profile suggests 14 posts but that seems a bit suspicious to me.

Our experience too - it was a bit different in our own house which was designed to be solar passive but we still 'rugged up' in the winter - whereas here I am in what has been the coldest day of the season so far (minus 1 this morning) wearing just a T-shirt indoors.

I was just about to type " I think it will be the coldest winter since 2010", but these days who knows .

I always do the frost on the windscreen test ....we only had 13 last year ,and no days below zero in the Wes miss ....3 frosted windscreens already ,only in November brrrt...but no wind ...again ...nothing ...not even a breeze ...weird

That is not cold!!!! lol. We had -6 on Monday morning. It was -4 when I left the house at 7:15 this morning - spray de-icer is wonderful

That is not cold!!!! lol. We had -6 on Monday morning. It was -4 when I left the house at 7:15 this morning - spray de-icer is wonderful

And I'm further North than you! East tends to fair better than the West though.

So when are we going to have a ping pong poms meet up in Scotland - there are a fair few of us now :)

With hindsight no - unless you make other changes in your life - move from a city to the country, change careers, give up working or whatever - then your life in Australia will be pretty much the same as it is now - maybe in the summer instead of going over to friends for dinner you may go over for a BBQ, perhaps instead of a walk in the woods you'll go to the beach on a Sunday morning but nothing that makes any real difference to your quality of life. If you want to change how you live your life there are far easy ways than moving 10,000 miles!

There are a few professions, mostly public sector (teachers, nurses etc.) and trades that do seem to be better off in Australia - the unions have a bigger role to play so working conditions tend to be better and the demand means salaries are better plus the greater prevalence of private schools and healthcare presumably makes a difference.

If you are going to be significantly worse off financially then there honestly seems virtually no point in going. The weather is not better, it is just different - my experience in Perth was I ended up hiding indoors just as much in the Summer because it was too hot as I do in the winter in Scotland - if anything more so as the right clothes can cope with the cold but Air Con is the only way to escape the heat. And the cold in the winter may surprise you! The houses are built to be cool and without central heating are hard to get comfortable - open plan is the norm, which I love, but again isn't conducive to keeping warm. You acclimatise too so 25 degrees no longer feels warm - I remember us abandoning a picnic because we were 'too cold' at that temperature! Once you buy/build your own place it isn't so bad but when you're renting it can be a nightmare - our first rental had no air con/heating and the second did but it was so ancient and inefficient the one month we put it on (bearing in mine we were out all day at work) our electricity bill was $400!

I was not the one that was behind our move to Australia and I really questioned my OH's motivation - given what he wanted to achieve I suggested an alternative of buying a place in the French alps and spending all school holidays there - our work allows us to take time off if we want as we are both self-employed. He now deeply regrets not taking that option!

Given you are pregnant I would say make no decisions for at least 18 months - I know in the first year after having my son i made some decisions that with hindsight weren't the best ones - although I think the first is maybe more life-changing than the 3rd but hormones still have a part to play.

Perhaps take a 'year out' and have a 'working holiday' in Australia like students do - I don't regret going but I do regret going with the view that it was 'forever' - i wish we'd just gone for a years adventure - I felt like that was unfair on my son but actually I think he has benefited from what turned out to be a 5 year adventure :)

@ladyrainicorn I really agree with your last comment. I am now regretting moving to oz with such a permanent outlook. for us, if we went back, I would view it as a 10 year adventure. I have nothing bad to say about oz, but sometimes its just time to move on and change things up.

@ladyrainicorn I really agree with your last comment. I am now regretting moving to oz with such a permanent outlook. for us, if we went back, I would view it as a 10 year adventure. I have nothing bad to say about oz, but sometimes its just time to move on and change things up.

I keep banging this drum. Don't be afraid to change direction back up or down under.

Inertia is a cancer.

B

We've been in oz 18 yrs and I can relate to your post. I feel ready to go back to uk now however my OH isn't so sure. We are in our 50s with a 12 yr old and 21 and 18. Parents are aging and sick and 12k miles is a long way. OH is worried about finding a job he likes and about cost of housing etc.

For me it's the lack of friends and family that is the draw back to uk. We are thinking of renting out our house for a year a seeing if we like it back I uk.

If I was thinking of emigrating to Oz and read these comments I would go and drown myself. Please realise that this particular part of the forum is mainly for those who haven't really settled - there are far more of us who have and are leading very happy lives and wouldn't dream of going back,ever.

Is the right way to think.

There is a hardcore half-a-dozen on here who would have you believe Perth is worse than Mosul. We have extended family and friends here and, with their friends etc. I would say we have exposure to over a hundred Pom families. And I am the only person out of all that even vaguely interested in returning to the UK. They all think I'm a dickhead but that's by the by.

Pinch of salt etc.

@lou556 i can relate to your situation completely. Im ready to go but OH worried about work and house prices and loves his life here in oz. It's a tricky situ gor sure.

How far have you explored renting your house out, I'm thinking the same but just can't get my head around it. It would be nice to go home with some money but great to have the house hear if things don't work out?

It may be the only way I can convince OH to go though, knowing we have house to come back to if needed.

Keep in touch

There is a hardcore half-a-dozen on here who would have you believe Perth is worse than Mosul. We have extended family and friends here and, with their friends etc. I would say we have exposure to over a hundred Pom families. And I am the only person out of all that even vaguely interested in returning to the UK. They all think I'm a dickhead but that's by the by.

Pinch of salt etc.

Considerably more than half a dozen, but most fall by the way side once departing. But while know few working class Poms I guess, nearly all the people non Australian have left Perth since we purchased here in 2000. Three this year in fact. The last one left only last week. On top of that know several Aussies that have moved out of Perth, to either country locations, over east and in two cases overseas. Even more if include their grown up kids.

Hardly a pinch of salt. A very reliant fact. Something those contemplating in more difficult times well advised to consider.

I'm also contemplating a move back after 5 years with an18 year old. I do like it here but can't ignore the pull back home. I worry about house prices now though and how my 18 year old will feel when back there. Lou556 will your children all go back with you? How do they feel about it?

Pinch of salt etc.

Depends which England you are thinking of returning to ?

I think as I'm getting older my tolerance of the things that irritate me here is waning. I can't stand the heat and humidity of the summer here. Some days I feel like I am suffocating. I am sick of sunscreen and insect repellent. Of course these things were a consideration before we came over, but I think I'm just tired of it all.

Sorry that was so long, and please understand that this is MY personal opinion .

These days I wouldn't be able to cope with the baking hot weather that we had in Perth.

I also don't miss applying sun block to go out, then having to shower it out of my skin again when coming home.

These days I wouldn't be able to cope with the baking hot weather that we had in Perth.

I also don't miss applying sun block to go out, then having to shower it out of my skin again when coming home.

Give me sunblock for the next 4 months please ....****ing winter ....if I could hibernate I would ...wake me in march ...8 months in the u.k ...4 months in oz

Give me sunblock for the next 4 months please ....****ing winter ....if I could hibernate I would ...wake me in march ...8 months in the u.k ...4 months in oz

Sounds ideal bunbury. :smile: For me it would be 4 months in the UK and 8 months in Australia .............. make that Tasmania. No stinking hot summers on the north coast.

Sounds ideal bunbury. :smile: For me it would be 4 months in the UK and 8 months in Australia .............. make that Tasmania. No stinking hot summers on the north coast.

No the 8 months in the u.k ,are so I could spend more time visiting Europe ....mainly Italy ,which I love .

Even 6 months each would be acceptable .

At one time that was a distinct possibility .

That's gone now iam afraid