Is it reckless to go?

Jools1973

..........but surely the art of conversation....

.........is to not only listen to others...but get your interests and points across....

..........in a way that others can share and add to your views.....

..........I too come from a diverse background.....

..........from great aunt prudence in her country pile....

..........to Lilly in her eclectic trailer home.....

...........with friends covering many social and cultural groups...

...........and would say I am comfortable....able to contribute.....and enjoy the full scale of situations

............from one to the other

............conversation is only as good as the content you contribute ime....

.............there is usually something to share of interest.....

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I haven't a clue what you are waffling on about!

perhaps some people attract others by their personalities and others repel? Luckily I'm not proud or a snob, have lived a varid and mixed life, certainly don't come from a humble background, but have also sadly known pretty bad poverty growing up, but remain a half glass full person, nothing worse than those who get grumpier as they age.

I hate to say it but I found that too. This was way back in the early 80's and I was amazed how many folk from the UK lived in Perth. At that time they seemed to not mix with the born and bred Aussies. Almost every social occasion we were invited to - it was wall to wall Poms yapping on about their house, the kids' private school yadda yadda yadda. We just started turning down the invites.

"Whereabouts do you live?" is generally the first question asked, the response to which determines whether you are in the gang or not.

"What volume is your pool?" was the best I was asked once.

I hate to say it but I found that too. This was way back in the early 80's and I was amazed how many folk from the UK lived in Perth. At that time they seemed to not mix with the born and bred Aussies. Almost every social occasion we were invited to - it was wall to wall Poms yapping on about their house, the kids' private school yadda yadda yadda. We just started turning down the invites.

This is the main reason i only ever went to one or two PIO meet up's. Some people were so far up their own backsides it put me off going to anymore.

Cal x

...........lol cal...!

...........what an image......

...........I mainly enjoyed the meet.....

...........had a little personal stress going on......

............but I enjoyed meeting those who I connected with on here.....

............there is always someone in a large group you fail to connect with I suppose.....

.............but even then.......they often contribute something to other conversations......!

"Whereabouts do you live?" is generally the first question asked, the response to which determines whether you are in the gang or not.

LOL, I would never have got past first Base with that one - we don't have a pool!

I noticed that when I was a big girl nobody could be bothered to talk to me, I was invisible to all. When I lost weight to become more "normal" I was included in every conversation (aka pissing contest). That really pissed me off! it was like they had written me off before the start so I didn't even get the first question. However, like an elephant, I have a long memory and those who couldn't see the fat me were consigned to the dustbin of history as far as I was concerned.

LOL, I would never have got past first Base with that one - we don't have a pool!

I noticed that when I was a big girl nobody could be bothered to talk to me, I was invisible to all. When I lost weight to become more "normal" I was included in every conversation (aka pissing contest). That really pissed me off! it was like they had written me off before the start so I didn't even get the first question. However, like an elephant, I have a long memory and those who couldn't see the fat me were consigned to the dustbin of history as far as I was concerned.

Thought you lost all the weight when you went back to the UK and became healthy again?

I'm on the fence with this one as I generally found the culture in Perth to be materialist - lots of 'cashed up bogans' however a number of my friends were seriously rich (two on the WA rich list one year - I assume still are) and that enabled them to have some nice 'toys' but materialist they were not.

Maybe it was living in the Fremantle area rather than the Western Suburbs and therefore I met a different type of wealthy person but I was never once made to feel inferior in any way - or maybe that says more about me I don't know.

I do remember my son coming home once and saying 'I think x's family are rich' and then added 'well not rich but better off than us' - this is a family living in a $9m house who bought the house next door so they could have a bigger garden and who have two Porsche's, a very nice boat and a helicopter...yep just a little bit better off than us! So with trepidation I asked him why he thought that and his answer 'because x has his own iPad'....it's all relative :)

Maybe it's more among migrants rather than Australian's that these attitudes prevail?

Yes that is certainly what we found with Aussies, it's all very important to them.

Can't say i've ever had these conversations. Thought it was poms who value pools more anyway?

Saying that you do notice people driving around with stickers of what school they send their kids to in Brisbane. Though i've noticed a few of my local state school lately so I must live in the right area.

I did. Had a go at it about 20 years ago as well - it's an up and down life! Darned sight easier losing it in UK

My wife commented recently that we eat healthier here and I tend to agree. The rather strange belief that food in Australia is somehow fresher in Australia doesn't seem to hold much water I'm afraid.

The rather strange belief that food in Australia is somehow fresher in Australia doesn't seem to hold much water I'm afraid.

I would be afraid too if my most of the vegetables and fruit I bought were flown from remote parts of the world to be packaged in Poland before being transported to UK distribution facilities and on to the Tesco stores. Being able to grow things year round and often in the same state with far less food-miles makes for great products as far as I'm concerned. .....Waits for the comments about only buying seasonal and from farmers markets.....

My wife commented recently that we eat healthier here and I tend to agree. The rather strange belief that food in Australia is somehow fresher in Australia doesn't seem to hold much water I'm afraid.

I'm certainly not getting started on the daft UK v Australia thing about food but it wouldn't matter where I lived, I would always eat a healthy diet. I would still be a non-meat eater with lots of fruit and veg in my diet. It's entirely up to you - no matter where you live - to choose a healthy diet.

Did you eat more fast food here or what? Why is your diet 'healthier' now?

I find it absolutely incredulous that Woolworths sell an assortment fresh (frozen) fish from every country around the world despite Australia being surrounded by rich seas. The fish is often of lower quality and I urge people to research the often polluted waters where they are farmed from. For example Basa fillets from Vietnam are straight out of the Meekong. Then theres Blue Grenadier from Tanzania and even Barra from Taiwan! What next?

I remember someone posting that in Australia people prefer quantity over quality....

I find it absolutely incredulous that Woolworths sell an assortment fresh (frozen) fish from every country around the world despite Australia being surrounded by rich seas. The fish is often of lower quality and I urge people to research the often polluted waters where they are farmed from. For example Basa fillets from Vietnam are straight out of the Meekong. Then theres Blue Grenadier from Tanzania and even Barra from Taiwan! What next?

I remember someone posting that in Australia people prefer quantity over quality....

I'm back in the UK (temporarily) and really miss the wonderful local market in Brisbane for fresh fruit but when I'm in Australia I miss fish - so hard to get fish caught locally, mostly inferior imported pre-frozen stuff. Maybe decent Australian stuff goes for export? The quality of local prawns, smoked haddock, Dover sole etc here in the U.K. so great, I'm eating fish every other day! It's not cheap but it's good and will be one of the main things I miss when I go back, alongside good quality bread and of course a great curry!

Except for things like detergent, loo rolls etc, I try not to buy much from Coles/Woolies. I buy my fish straight off a fishing boat - one of the young guys on the boat guts them for me - thank goodness. Eggs from a farm - don't eat meat - fruit and veg from local producers. I do realise how lucky I am. One of the reasons we moved to Tasmania.

I would be afraid too if my most of the vegetables and fruit I bought were flown from remote parts of the world to be packaged in Poland before being transported to UK distribution facilities and on to the Tesco stores. Being able to grow things year round and often in the same state with far less food-miles makes for great products as far as I'm concerned. .....Waits for the comments about only buying seasonal and from farmers markets.....

That's OK then because that doesn't actually apply to most fruit and vegetables but good try anyway.

I'm certainly not getting started on the daft UK v Australia thing about food but it wouldn't matter where I lived, I would always eat a healthy diet. I would still be a non-meat eater with lots of fruit and veg in my diet. It's entirely up to you - no matter where you live - to choose a healthy diet.

Did you eat more fast food here or what? Why is your diet 'healthier' now?

Yes we certainly seemed to eat more fast food. My wife seems to cook more now. I eat a lot more fish and steak now strangely enough.

I'm back in the UK (temporarily) and really miss the wonderful local market in Brisbane for fresh fruit but when I'm in Australia I miss fish - so hard to get fish caught locally, mostly inferior imported pre-frozen stuff. Maybe decent Australian stuff goes for export? The quality of local prawns, smoked haddock, Dover sole etc here in the U.K. so great, I'm eating fish every other day! It's not cheap but it's good and will be one of the main things I miss when I go back, alongside good quality bread and of course a great curry!

Before I read your comment I said I am eating more fish now, we have a wonderful choice here.

That's OK then because that doesn't actually apply to most fruit and vegetables but good try anyway.

Actually, as usual your 'facts' are squiffy: "The UK has a self-sufficiency ratio for fresh fruit and vegetables of just 12 per cent and 58 per cent respectively, and imported £8bn of fruit and vegetables in 2012". In case it isn't clear for you 88% of fruit and 42% of vegetables consumed in the UK are sourced from overseas...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britains-food-self-sufficiency-at-risk-from-reliance-on-overseas-imports-of-fruit-and-vegetables-9574238.html

Archived