"Free movement of peoples" between the UK and Oz?

Roberta2

Tony Abbott is giving a speech today to the UK Australia Chamber of Commerce in London. According to his old pal the journalist Greg Sheridan in today's Oz (p.4), Abbott is touting no tariffs or quotas in trade between the UK and Australia, mutual recognition of services and standards, and "easy entry of qualified people". "Britons and Australians have more than 200 years' experience of each other, so why not allow them more freely to travel and work in each other's country, provided no one's bludging".

Comment: Abbott is presumably there for the Tory party conference in Birmingham. Not sure if he will score a private meeting with Theresa May.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Abbott is giving a speech today to the UK Australia Chamber of Commerce in London. According to his old pal the journalist Greg Sheridan in today's Oz (p.4), Abbott is touting no tariffs or quotas in trade between the UK and Australia, mutual recognition of services and standards, and "easy entry of qualified people". "Britons and Australians have more than 200 years' experience of each other, so why not allow them more freely to travel and work in each other's country, provided no one's bludging".

Comment: Abbott is presumably there for the Tory party conference in Birmingham. Not sure if he will score a private meeting with Theresa May.

May has said she will not lose control over immigration, so I would say no to free movement, but they could free up movement. It would take awhile to set and train everyone in both countries to a similar standard. Not cheap I'll bet.

When May is talking about "control over immigration", aka "hard Brexit", she is assuredly not thinking about Australians. Note also Abbott's comments about "bludgers". i.e. any proposed new agreement between the UK and Oz that he advocates is not meant to involve social security. But of course Australia and the UK already have a reciprocal health agreement.

When May is talking about "control over immigration", aka "hard Brexit", she is assuredly not thinking about Australians. Note also Abbott's comments about "bludgers". i.e. any proposed new agreement between the UK and Oz that he advocates is not meant to involve social security. But of course Australia and the UK already have a reciprocal health agreement.

But they have no social security agreement

These agreements typically are not sustainable for a simple reason and we have seen it with our agreement with New Zealand.

What was supposed to be a fair arrangement between Australia and New Zealand with each citizen being able to move freely and access social security in each others countries was undone by the practical realities.

With New Zealand it was something like 99% kiwis coming here to 1% Australians going to NZ.

and it would be the same with UK.

It could not work because Australian would be inundated with Poms coming here and there would be comparatively few Australians going to the UK.

So free movement while it sounds nice doesn't work.

I meant exactly re the post on Aust and the UK. The Kiwi situation is quite complex. One of the problems is that is in effect an open border. NZ, because of its large Maori population, cannot prevent Tongans, Samoans etc coming to NZ and taking out citizenship. Then coming to Australia. The Howard government restricted access of NZ citizens to social security in Australia.

So, EU regulations had no say about non EU migration?

Is that why it's been so easy to deport people?

You really think they give a rat's arse where they are from?

Australians probably have more in common with the polish than the poms. There is a cultural gulf between the two countries, as is evident to anyone that has made the move either way.

Australians probably have more in common with the polish than the poms. There is a cultural gulf between the two countries, as is evident to anyone that has made the move either way.

Sorry, don't agree. What would an aussie have in common with a Pole?

We speak the same language, work, government generally similar. We felt like we were in a sunny, warm England when we arrived and we've not seen much to change our views.

We speak the same language, work, government generally similar. We felt like we were in a sunny, warm England when we arrived and we've not seen much to change our views.

Thought you were going to bring up the war.

The Spectatorand Sky will host a panel discussion on 4 October at 6 pm, bringing together The Hon Tony Abbott MP, former Prime Minister of Australia, David Davis MP, secretary of state for exiting the EU, Andrew Griffith, group chief operating officer and chief financial officer at Sky, and Dr Philippa Malmgren, author and founder of DRPM Group. The panellists will offer their views on the opportunities presented by the Brexit vote and the future of British business and trade outside of the EU. Watch on Facebook Live from 6 pm.

That's because you're in Perth, Paul! Apart from the shared language, I and my Australian husband both felt far more at home in Europe than in England. Culturally Sydney and Melbourne were so influenced by the massive influx of Greek, Italian and Balkan migrants that the lifestyle is nothing like the UK. In fact I didn't realise how different it was till I went back to the South of England to live.

Well Aussies are of ever more varied backgrounds than English. I have been personally amazed at some comments around Aussies in England. Far more ignorance than one may expect, especially out of London, where most would have had most likely some form of contact with Aussies.

The language does give an advantage but the conservative, hard working nature of Poles would likely not be too out of place, if language ability was there. In fact a good decade ago, resource companies were looking at the importation of Polish miners. Not sure why it appeared to flounder.

the cultural difference is from migration, an australian and a brit are very similar in the scheme of things, can you explain your theory about having more in common with poles or was it just a figure of speech ?

Wasn't aware the UK has a points system. Wasn't Boris advocating that, before the Brexit vote? Went quiet when it was pointed out that Australia's immigration rate is twice that of the UK. Fairly recently, many young Australians could no longer get visas to work in the UK because the income limit was substantially raised. That's what I recall anyway.

the cultural difference is from migration, an australian and a brit are very similar in the scheme of things, can you explain your theory about having more in common with poles or was it just a figure of speech ?

I'm a Brit, but as far as I'm concerned after 30 years in Australia, the ONLY thing I have in common with Brits is the language. My lifestyle is wholly European.

The amount of people ive read saying about this on facebook not long after the brexit result. As things came out like the nhs lies, one facebook friend seemed to hold on to it like it was the only positive thing. :laugh: It will never happen

it happened in the past that's how a quarter of my family moved over as £10 poms . I would love for it to happen I can hope but not sure it will happen but I never say never.

it happened in the past that's how a quarter of my family moved over as £10 poms . I would love for it to happen I can hope but not sure it will happen but I never say never.

That was when Australia was a very under-populated country which was desperate for people, any people. What makes you think that would ever happen again?

Although Australia is a huge country, the vast area in the centre isn't really suitable for human habitation. All the major cities are beginning to get overcrowded, and as a result governments are starting to sell off good farming land for housing. Australia can't afford to take hordes more people!

Edited by Marisawright