I'm so stressed... to go back, right or wrong decision?

Rainman

So why is it any different to what is included in normal fully comprehensive insurance ? Why is CTP so expensive ?

Probably because it is compulsory and almost unavoidable, but I feel comfortable when I or my family are out on the road knowing that the vast majority of vehicles (upwards of 95% at a guess)are insured for third party injury. A small price I am willing to pay in this instance.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this demonstrates why people should do there own searches. it depends what you are used to & what you think is a acceptable standard of living. i know i wouldnt want to live in any of the houses you put links to. a couple of the older homes look pretty enough on the outside but i think the insides look horrible & so tiny. even the new build is tiny.

i think this demonstrates why people should do there own searches. it depends what you are used to & what you think is a acceptable standard of living. i know i wouldnt want to live in any of the houses you put links to. a couple of the older homes look pretty enough on the outside but i think the insides look horrible & so tiny. even the new build is tiny.

My main problem is the distance from any major city job wise. There's a reason this area is cheap by UK standards. Wouldn't fancy the commute to Birmingham/Cardiff/Bristol/London

Rainman

Do your own research on 'rightmove' about house prices here, we are looking in Shropshire and Hereford/Staffs, as we aim to move next year, and were discouraged by house prices, reckoned £300K was lowest for something in decent area and 400K for something in country.

I have been on Rightmove regularly for the last couple of weeks. I see many decent looking places from 240,000 upwards. We're not after anything huge, just something adequate for our needs. Obviously the closer to the towns you go it gets more expensive, depending on what you're looking for.

I'm in Herefordshire and we bought 4 years ago so I know values in this area..

Once the house is sold and we know how much money we have to spend, I'll look at a few areas and will contact you via PM to get your opinion if that's ok. It's one thing looking at Google earth & zooming in, or street view but that doesn't tell you much about the area.

Once the house is sold and we know how much money we have to spend, I'll look at a few areas and will contact you via PM to get your opinion if that's ok. It's one thing looking at Google earth & zooming in, or street view but that doesn't tell you much about the area.

The way the pound is going you might be able to buy in London!

Sometimes no matter how carefully you weigh and balance the options you just have to grit your teeth and make a leap of faith. Only you can decide whether this is one of those times…but I hope it works out, whichever way you jump! T x

I am trying be more philosophical about the whole thing. We could stay here and wonder what if and perhaps down line we realise it's not what we wanted, well maybe we'll just have to do it all again! Ultimately, one day in 15 years time, I could see my wife and I as grey nomads travelling up and down the east coast of Australia, while we rent our house out in the UK. The great thing is we have that option.

Are you maybe feeling like you HAVE to go back because your old job post is closing and thats almost like "If i don't go back now, i won't have a good enough job and have to start again?"

Good luck in what you do thou! :D

That is exactly the reason I feel it's now or never. And realistically that's what I needed to give me a kick up the a*se. Once that job opportunity is lost; and they have categorically told me this is my last chance, we wouldn't be able to go back.

Everything hinges on me starting back at my old firm - my wife getting a Spouse Visa, us getting a mortgage and having the semblance of the life we had before we left the UK.

I'm too old to start again, going back now would be more like picking up where we left off. Not bad for someone who left the UK nearly 15 years ago.

We had the chance to go back in 2013 but I sat on my hands and did nothing because of the uncertainty and disruption to my wife and kids. I don't want to be sitting here in a years time with my head in my hands, the job opportunity lost, asking why didn't I just take the chance, because I was doing that in 2014.

Thanks for your good wishes :)

Edited by Rainman

'I've heard it's crap back home' lol Well I can tell you you heard wrong, very wrong. Our Aussie kids love it here and it's in no way risking their futures. Why is your Mum working for less than minimum wage ? I'm happy you have resigned yourself to the fact that you have to stay but many aren't in your situation.

Just offering my opinion.

The opportunities here compared to MY situation back home are sh*t. You know I'm happy that your kids are thriving over there. Thats the ultimate goal isn't it? The kids happiness. :D

Obviously our situations are different. You don't know the ins and outs. There might be sh*t going on behind the scenes. Blah Blah Blah....you can only read so much from a post.

And can i just say, i used to say OZ was crap and omg, people would be down your neck! Then you say the UK is crap and the same thing. I LOVE the UK. MY situation back home was crap, working 50+ hours on FA wages living with my in laws. Enough to make you take a gun to your head. THATS what i meant by "Ive heard its crap back home"

Chill pills all round! :D

Yes that's fine, I have got to know Herefordshire quite well now and absolutely love it.

Why are the houses cheap in your opinion?

For exactly the same reasons houses in Australia or indeed practically anywhere outside of cities. It doesn't mean everyone works in the city, in fact most people don't work in the city. We aren't a million miles from Birmingham but I don't personally know anyone who works there.

Probably because it is compulsory and almost unavoidable, but I feel comfortable when I or my family are out on the road knowing that the vast majority of vehicles (upwards of 95% at a guess)are insured for third party injury. A small price I am willing to pay in this instance.

My point is though that I have that with my fully comprehensive cover for around £150 a year. The thing that I will never understand is why property insurance isn't compulsory ? Also why is CTP so expensive ?

I will give you mine. Houses are expensive in the South East because people wrongly feel they need to live there for work. Total crap of course.

Also, I don't think houses are "cheap", just more realistically priced.

I wonder if the reasons for cheap housing will become more obvious once your Glaswegian honeymoon period draws to a close?

I will give you mine. Houses are expensive in the South East because people wrongly feel they need to live there for work. Total crap of course.

Also, I don't think houses are "cheap", just more realistically priced.

Well some people really do need to live in SE for work. It would be totally impossible for my OH to find work anywhere in the UK but London. Not without a career change that is, but that is not always easy to do in 40s.

Why do you always assume people have to commute miles away to a big city, most people dont.

I think you have to consider carefully what you say on these threads, most people are travelling into the major cities for jobs, I drop my wife at the station and see the flood of people at 7.00am and sometimes drive around at rush hour and the roads are chokka, one of my friends commute from Grantham to London and has done for years.

I think just constantly talking up the UK like its some nirvana is setting people up for some serious disappointments if they think they are coming back to some rural idyll with well paid jobs all over the place and you can just hop on a bus to them, jobs with good pay are predominately in the cities, Hereford is miles from anywhere and the nearest motorway is the M6 about 25 miles away and even so the house you posted are 3 or 4 beds none of which you could get more than a standard double in, a small wardrobe and a couple of bedside tables in, hardly luxury living and you're not really near a commercial centre.

It's one thing to be gung oh about this sceptred isle but it comes with some serious downsides to it and to just keep on encouraging people to come back here because you love it here is not doing people any favours when they at their most vulnerable, it works for us having come back after almost 10 years but we came back with a cushion of money and my wife was able to give up on a crap job, after 2 years, where tho very well paid she was bullied, ignored and given no respect so we are able to choose for her to retrain as a psychotherapist, but for some people they might find that giving up on what they have in Australia and thinking this is the land of milk and honey with a job round every corner and smart houses on tree lined roads ripe for the picking might find that is just not the case unless you're coming back with at least 500k or more.

our detached house in Ipswich, not our destination of choice but for the job, cost 417k and has cost 24k to get sorted, it has a 150 foot garden and is on a niceish road, 2 receptions, 3 doubles and a single, it's nice but not palatial, its an 70min rail commute , something around the £45. mark return ticket I think, into Liverpool st or 70mins by road into east London, local jobs like the one my wife had with good pay, but a contributory pension that took a chunk, come up like once in every year or so.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

For exactly the same reasons houses in Australia or indeed practically anywhere outside of cities. It doesn't mean everyone works in the city, in fact most people don't work in the city. We aren't a million miles from Birmingham but I don't personally know anyone who works there.

https://factsandfigures.herefordshire.gov.uk/about-a-topic/economy/earnings-and-hours-of-work.aspx

Well people may work in herefordshire, but it isn't going to pay for that many holidays in Europe and fine dining as the median wage is about 20k. Probably a reason for the cheap housing, lack of available well paying jobs.

I think you have to consider carefully what you say on these threads, most people are travelling into the major cities for jobs, I drop my wife at the station and see the flood of people at 7.00am and sometimes drive around at rush hour and the roads are chokka, one of my friends commute from Grantham to London and has done for years.

I think just constantly talking up the UK like its some nirvana is setting people up for some serious disappointments if they think they are coming back to some rural idyll with well paid jobs all over the place and you can just hop on a bus to them, jobs with good pay are predominately in the cities, Hereford is miles from anywhere and the nearest motorway is the M6 about 25 miles away and even so the house you posted are 3 or 4 beds none of which you could get more than a standard double in, a small wardrobe and a couple of bedside tables in, hardly luxury living and you're not really near a commercial centre.

It's one thing to be gung oh about this sceptred isle but it comes with some serious downsides to it and to just keep on encouraging people to come back here because you love it here is not doing people any favours when they at their most vulnerable, it works for us having come back after almost 10 years but we came back with a cushion of money and my wife was able to give up on a crap job, after 2 years, where tho very well paid she was bullied, ignored and given no respect so we are able to choose for her to retrain as a psychotherapist, but for some people they might find that giving up on what they have in Australia and thinking this is the land of milk and honey with a job round every corner and smart houses on tree lined roads ripe for the picking might find that is just not the case unless you're coming back with at least 500k or more.

our detached house in Ipswich, not our destination of choice but for the job, cost 417k and has cost 24k to get sorted, it has a 150 foot garden and is on a niceish road, 2 receptions, 3 doubles and a single, it's nice but not palatial, its an 70min rail commute , something around the £45. mark return ticket I think, into Liverpool st or 70mins by road into east London, local jobs like the one my wife had with good pay, but a contributory pension that took a chunk, come up like once in every year or so.

I realise your cheersquad immediately liked your post but believe me if it came down to be glass half full or glass totally empty like you there really is no choice.

So now the good house has gone up to 500k, wow it was 400k yesterday. No wonder no one takes you seriously lol

https://factsandfigures.herefordshire.gov.uk/about-a-topic/economy/earnings-and-hours-of-work.aspx

Well people may work in herefordshire, but it isn't going to pay for that many holidays in Europe and fine dining as the median wage is about 20k. Probably a reason for the cheap housing, lack of available well paying jobs.

How sad are you, honestly lol

I realise your cheersquad immediately liked your post but believe me if it came down to be glass half full or glass totally empty like you there really is no choice.

So now the good house has gone up to 500k, wow it was 400k yesterday. No wonder no one takes you seriously lol

Back to the bullying again....