Ping Pong Poms....

fjm

You only get the materials to work with parley cross, the average house was built last 30 years in oz, I am being 100% honest that quality of new builds in Australia was shocking compared to the UK, any tradesman on this forum if they are being honest would agree.

As long as the house doesn't fall down with you in it or lose its value over time, does it really matter if the houses are built differently for the climate?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the house doesn't fall down with you in it or lose its value over time, does it really matter if the houses are built differently for the climate?

Oz gets freezing in the winter yet houses are built with virtually no insulation meaning houses are freezing inside.

Oz gets freezing in the winter yet houses are built with virtually no insulation meaning houses are freezing inside.

Winter is very short here and doesn't really extend into the daylight hours (temperature always gets into double figures).. and after a few years you just get used to it. Maybe as a consequence of UK central heating us Poms have just got soft. I certainly grew up in much colder winters in the UK without radiators in every room, which now are the norm.

Winter is very short here and doesn't really extend into the daylight hours (temperature always gets into double figures).. and after a few years you just get used to it. Maybe as a consequence of UK central heating us Poms have just got soft. I certainly grew up in much colder winters in the UK without radiators in every room, which now are the norm.

Winters in the uk have become very mild over the last decade but at least the houses are insulated, when I was in perth the winters were really cold and houses were freezing, for an extra couple of grand they could be insulated but they are built so cheap that thus was not an option.

Winters in the uk have become very mild over the last decade but at least the houses are insulated, when I was in perth the winters were really cold and houses were freezing, for an extra couple of grand they could be insulated but they are built so cheap that thus was not an option.

As usual your emotion gets ahead of the facts. Whilst older buildings may not have insulation, it certainly is a requirement for all new builds: http://www.build.com.au/bca-requirements-insulation

Quality Victorian and Georgian houses compared where I live to cramped modern houses with no gardens in oz and tin roofs in Perth...errr no contest.

You lived in Perth...apparently. Perth is not Australia. Plenty of quality Victorian - even Georgian - houses and large gardens where I live.

Quality Victorian and Georgian houses compared where I live to cramped modern houses with no gardens in oz and tin roofs in Perth...errr no contest.

PB, I know you love your stats. Perhaps look up which country has the average smallest floor space in Europe. New builds are pretty darn tiny in the country that wins that title.

Aus houses are generally far from cramped in terms of floor space. Many new builds don't have big gardens anymore admittedly. As to if people mind this, I think its driven by what people seem to want in this day and age and that is less fuss outdoor space and more room for living in. Bit like the UK front gardens being paved over for car parking so the front garden is disappearing in many built up areas. Back gardens are being taken up with extensions as people can't step up to the next price bracket or want extra living space in terms of a conservatory or some such. Thus eating into the back garden.

Houses around the world are built differently to suit the climate. Spain its different again. Greece too. Scandinavia, North America, its all different depending on where you settle. In general you can't migrate anywhere in the world and expect or demand it be the same as what you had in the country you left. It doesn't work like that.

Haha funny how this thread had went.

I posted something similar a while back on a different forum about the housing build quality. Answer:

Australia builds it house's for a country that does not think it gets too hot or too cold.

The old art deco houses are fantastic in the summer, but dire in the winter. The new builds are just dire all year round as have no insulation or double glazing.

I have never owned so much thermal clothing in my life living in the UK, even got to the point of buying an electric blanket.

The new builds are just dire all year round as have no insulation or double glazing.

I don't know where you live - it would be helpful and polite to include that - but where I live insulation in new builds ( floors, walls and ceilings) is mandatory. You can't get building approval beforehand or the building signed off on completion without it.

Also mandatory energy efficiency ratings are being lifted for new residential building from 5 star to 6 star so double glazing is being increasingly used in those climate zones where it is useful - and that varies between different climate zones in Australia. Not only is it used in new buildings here but many existing houses are retrofitted with it.

One of the interesting things I have observed since arrival is the fundamental difference in roof/loft insulation between here in SE Qld and the UK. We are in a 2 storey and I noticed that the insulation is on the roof itself - presumably to keep the heat of the sun out of the home altogether whereas in England we lagged the floor of our loft to stop the heat from rising through the ceilings of the bedrooms.

It is noticeable how chill the upstairs rooms are in the winter mornings here. But in a UK hot spell (and by that I mean 25C+) the bedrooms were stifling all night. It has to be much hotter here before we even need to put a fan on.

I should add that my husband and children all now have Aussie citizenship and I have an expired PR visa. I've looked into it and all I would need is to apply for is a RRV so it wouldn't be a long drawn out exercise to go back....

Hi fjm, from a fellow lateral! You may not be aware that the citizenship laws for family changed in January 2013. Instead of just the member and dependents under the age of 21 getting citizenship after 90 days, it now includes the whole family (ie also the spouse) if they arrived under the same visa. You may find you are now eligible for citizenship.

Tiny little houses, with no TV room, rumpus nor laundry. High street after high street of empty shops and endless Poundlands and pawn brokers.

Agreed to a degree, you get what you pay for. Walking through UK shopping centres (apart from the few indoor malls in some towns and cities), is like heading back to the dark ages. Leamington Spa has an attractive shopping centre with stylish buildings in the shopping area, but come to my beautiful hometown of Torquay, the shopping centre is run down and unloved!

Though as for Perthbum saying that new houses in Oz have no quality, this is now the same in the UK. My Adelaide house was all brick and with a tiled roof, but that was built in 1962.

I don't know where you live - it would be helpful and polite to include that - but where I live insulation in new builds ( floors, walls and ceilings) is mandatory. You can't get building approval beforehand or the building signed off on completion without it.

Also mandatory energy efficiency ratings are being lifted for new residential building from 5 star to 6 star so double glazing is being increasingly used in those climate zones where it is useful - and that varies between different climate zones in Australia. Not only is it used in new buildings here but many existing houses are retrofitted with it.

I am based in Melbourne.

I was not aware of that so cannot comment.

Ours is that thick fibre/foam type stuff laid on the rafters like people used in the UK (it comes in big rolls). We had it done a few years ago now when the government gave out the grants that pretty much paid for it to be done.

Cal x

We did too. The house we are now in has the same type of insulation.

Hi fjm, from a fellow lateral! You may not be aware that the citizenship laws for family changed in January 2013. Instead of just the member and dependents under the age of 21 getting citizenship after 90 days, it now includes the whole family (ie also the spouse) if they arrived under the same visa. You may find you are now eligible for citizenship.

Hi!

I suspect I missed that boat as we returned home in 2011...

Are you still in Aus?

I am based in Melbourne.

I was not aware of that so cannot comment.

Yes, all new homes and renovations in Victoria have to comply with the 6 Star Standard in the National Construction Code. The 6 Star Standard applies to the thermal performance of a home's building envelope – its roof, walls, floor and windows.

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/6-star-standard

Tiny little houses, with no TV room, rumpus nor laundry. High street after high street of empty shops and endless Poundlands and pawn brokers.

But you don't really need a TV room, or a rumpus or even a laundry...

We have two lounge rooms and the larger one never gets used, we also have two dining areas but only need both of these if we've fallen out!

Fair point about the poundlands in my home town of Ipswich but not all uk towns are like that.

But you don't really need a TV room, or a rumpus or even a laundry...

We have two lounge rooms and the larger one never gets used, we also have two dining areas but only need both of these if we've fallen out!

Fair point about the poundlands in my home town of Ipswich but not all uk towns are like that.

Luckily we are all different, the thought of having the washing machine again in the kitchen is an absolute no for me, much prefer a separate laundry. All that dirty water going down the kitchen drainage, yuck.

We have an open plan kitchen family room which we use every day, but do enjoy using the lounge when we have visitors, leaves me to cook in peace.

Also we really enjoy sitting round the dinning room table for long meals especially in winter with family and friends, had a good family get together for dad's day and no one wanted to leave the table, too much fun all sitting round the table together.

It possibly depends on how much family/ friends you have here, but we enjoy having people round.

Don't feel the need for a tv room though.

Edited by ramot