Child benefit uk.....what is your experience of this?

Live4today

So been here a year or so now, something that seems to be a common occurrence with some fellow expats. Quite a few people that I have spoken to (a lot more than I would have thought) have confirmed that they have kept their child benefits going into their uk bank accounts, despite the fact that they live here now permanently....1 person had been here over 4 years and still received this. She just transfers it over to her Aussie account. Averaging out to be about £100 a month +, thats quite a lot over a few years. Now when we left, we rang up and informed them we were leaving, never to return (probably) and also sent a letter and it stopped after about a month of being here. Having spoken to quite a few different families (all seem pretty decent and hard working), many seem to have kept this going. I assumed that a) it would stop automatically anyway (but didnt want to leave any loose ends) and b) you'd get caught as it is essentially fraud? Some claimed that they assumed as they were still citizens they were entitled to it?! Others just said the usual, "Ive paid enough taxes in uk..etc" So is this normal that people keep their child benefit going from the uk, surely they will caught up with eventually? Just wodnered if others had heard of this as it seems to be pretty common from the people i have met...or maybe I'm just mixing with the wrong crowd!! I assumed it had to be stopped as we weren't living there any more....

YOu are supposed to inform them if you are away longer than 12 weeks, its bound to catch up with them a some point, its defrauding the government not a credit card company so I would think they could get pursued to pay it back if found out.

My understanding is that the HMRC will chase people in Australia and employ debt collectors to get the money back. The longer they get it, the bigger the overpayment. Are these people also getting any payments from centrelink for their children? They should have also informed the tax office when they left the UK, which will flag with them at some point. These people may be in for a shock!

So been here a year or so now, something that seems to be a common occurrence with some fellow expats. Quite a few people that I have spoken to (a lot more than I would have thought) have confirmed that they have kept their child benefits going into their uk bank accounts, despite the fact that they live here now permanently....1 person had been here over 4 years and still received this. She just transfers it over to her Aussie account. Averaging out to be about £100 a month +, thats quite a lot over a few years. Now when we left, we rang up and informed them we were leaving, never to return (probably) and also sent a letter and it stopped after about a month of being here. Having spoken to quite a few different families (all seem pretty decent and hard working), many seem to have kept this going. I assumed that a) it would stop automatically anyway (but didnt want to leave any loose ends) and b) you'd get caught as it is essentially fraud? Some claimed that they assumed as they were still citizens they were entitled to it?! Others just said the usual, "Ive paid enough taxes in uk..etc" So is this normal that people keep their child benefit going from the uk, surely they will caught up with eventually? Just wodnered if others had heard of this as it seems to be pretty common from the people i have met...or maybe I'm just mixing with the wrong crowd!! I assumed it had to be stopped as we weren't living there any more....

I'm in the honest camp with you, though it also know some people who have not informed them either. As others have said, it may catch up with them in the end,

Are you wishing you had done it too ?

Not a chance, far too straight, would be waking up each day wondering if today was the day there is a knock at the door! It just seemed pretty common amongst people i have come across, seems like i was the only one who was pretty shocked that they were risking it....

My understanding is that the HMRC will chase people in Australia and employ debt collectors to get the money back. The longer they get it, the bigger the overpayment. Are these people also getting any payments from centrelink for their children? They should have also informed the tax office when they left the UK, which will flag with them at some point. These people may be in for a shock!

They will do a bit more than that - it is a criminal offence and at best they will just issue a warrant for arrest on their return to the UK. Though if they want to get picky, they can request extradition and arrest in Australia by Australian federal police and be extradited back to the UK to face a penalty - possible prison and Aus would probably cancel any visa held

I informed them prior of the date I was leaving the country and payments ceased from that date. You are responsible for letting them know (otherwise they wouldn't know) but you're right that it's fraud that they have continued to receive money by deception.

Starting a new life and needing to put your mind 100% into making it work. Would you want the worry over £137 a month we got. No way. Sent them a letter and got one back, payments stopped week after we landed here.

Just thinking about claiming the equivalent here part 'A'. Have to estimate salary to make sure I don't get a bill at end of year (as far as I read it ?). Registered for medicare, but seem to have to go back to get a CRN now to apply on line for benefit, then go back with proof kids do excist ?

I think 99.99% of migrants know full well they should not receive CB if they don't live in the UK. Also, having worked in the benefits industry prior to migrating, many won't get caught. Its not something to be proud of or brag about, it is actually fraud, speaks volumes about their integrity, I wouldn't worry about it, there is nothing you can do, just take pride in your own integrity.

Starting a new life and needing to put your mind 100% into making it work. Would you want the worry over £137 a month we got. No way. Sent them a letter and got one back, payments stopped week after we landed here.

Just thinking about claiming the equivalent here part 'A'. Have to estimate salary to make sure I don't get a bill at end of year (as far as I read it ?). Registered for medicare, but seem to have to go back to get a CRN now to apply on line for benefit, then go back with proof kids do excist ?

Yes there was a lot of back and forth to the centrelink office to prove things but once we got the CRN number and everything sorted, the online thing is easy to keep updated should circumstances change such as salary etc.

I informed them a couple of months prior and was informed it would stop straight away but would have one more payment, they also advised I could call back at a later date and inform them just before we left. I had to much going on so declined as I was scared I would forget before we left. Claiming money you are not entilted to is disgusting.

I assume they are getting centrelink payments as they are all Perm. Residents as far as I am aware, glad its not something that the majority think is ok

I think 99.99% of migrants know full well they should not receive CB if they don't live in the UK. Also, having worked in the benefits industry prior to migrating, many won't get caught. Its not something to be proud of or brag about, it is actually fraud, speaks volumes about their integrity, I wouldn't worry about it, there is nothing you can do, just take pride in your own integrity.

Yes, have also met quite a few people who have left commercial debt, credit card etc (quite huge amounts, 20,000+ ) I would just be so on edge all the time!

The attitude that nothing would happen as they won't get caught as its such a small amount in the grand scheme of things seemed pretty prevalent

The attitude that nothing would happen as they won't get caught as its such a small amount in the grand scheme of things seemed pretty prevalent

To be honest, UK could eradicate massive amounts of benefit fraud if they simply crossed matched all their computer systems, it sounds so simple and yet they don't, I think it's the data protection laws, human right laws, whatever. But to give a good example of how systems completely work against each other, I remember one particular benefits claimant who received the highest rate of disability living allowance as she needed to receive more than 37 hours a week of round the clock night and day care, she in turn claimed invalid care allowance (highest rate) for 3 of her 5 children (all diagnosed with ADHD) (3 x invalid care allowance payments to clarify) for providing more than 37 hours per week of round the clock night and day care for her kids. I found it clashed that she needed the intense care yet could also provide the intense care...however, she did eventually come unstuck when she was investigated for benefit fraud as a lone parent and her kids came home from school, threw their bags on the sofa and asked "what time will Dad be home....", she did then try to say her kids has psychological problems and could not accept Dad didn't live at home, but basically she was outed and lost her 57,000 sterling per year benefits windfall.

I think you are with the wrong crowd. :wink:

It is benefit fraud and it is a criminal offence, having to pay it back is the least of anyone's worries when and if caught.

Indeed it is. I couldn't sleep at night if it was me and I would be more than happy to rat someone out if I knew of anyone doing the same.

I informed them prior of the date I was leaving the country and payments ceased from that date. You are responsible for letting them know (otherwise they wouldn't know) but you're right that it's fraud that they have continued to receive money by deception.

In Australia they automatically cross check the movement in and out of the country against the Centrelink systems. When you have been out of the country for a certain amount of time (around 6 weeks from memory) they stop payments you are not entitled to receive. We have had this happen 3 times with Family Tax Benefits payments stopped while we were visiting the UK on holiday. When you come back into the country the payments are automatically reinstated.

Those people who are defrauding the UK benefits system might end up getting a rude shock one day if they try and travel to the UK. While they might believe they are being clever and getting away with it at the moment, the government agencies will hound you to the ends of the earth once you are found out. All the information is captured and stored electronically, all it would take is for it to be cross referenced and they will be caught.

Just before we left i contacted the child benefit place.

The told me the payments would stop the day we left and that would be it.

They didnt stop.

I rang 4 or 5 months later from australia and asked why they hadnt stopped.

We made a mistake was the answer. Proof i had rung to inform them of immigrating on x date was on their system.

We still had to pay it back.

They seemed as incompetent as the tv licensing people......