Just how bad is it?

starlight7

In Europe as regards safety etc. We are touring Europe in May and getting a bit nervy with all this shocking business in Belgium. We are starting in Budapest and going through to Holland and then up to Norway and home via Dubai ( 3 nights). Are there problems with refugees? How are the borders? We are travelling on Australian passports.

Guest The Pom Queen

A friend of mine is flying out of Budapest this evening, they have been touring Europe on a river cruise and have been fine.

I think travelling anywhere is nervy but then we can't wrap ourselves up in bubbles forever.

It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned.

In Europe as regards safety etc. We are touring Europe in May and getting a bit nervy with all this shocking business in Belgium. We are starting in Budapest and going through to Holland and then up to Norway and home via Dubai ( 3 nights). Are there problems with refugees? How are the borders? We are travelling on Australian passports.

Fine ...but I have just arrived in north Devon .....beautiful ...weather goes a bit crap tomorrow though ....europe is fine ,bloody hell .

Its like me asking you if Melbourne is o.k ,after the Sydney incident

As always, driving itself will be by far the most dangerous thing we do. If they reported traffic accidents like they do terrorism...

Flying you should be fine, maybe a few more security checks at the airports but that's about it. Driving across borders (i.e-uk to france) could be daunting due to those hanging around trying to get across.

Cal x

Once you have got through security, but airports and train stations are probably the most dangerous places.

They are targets because of the large numbers of people, so I wouldn't be blase about being at an airport at all.

It is hard for police to stop someone walking into an airport with a suitcase bomb and detonating it at the checkin area with a large number of people queued up.

I work in transport in the UK so get all the bulletins and emails through regarding migrants in Europe, plus I get the lowdown from my drivers on the continent. All the ports (Calais, Zeebruge, Rotterdam) are crawling with migrants trying to get to the UK. Our drivers have brought footage back to the office and its scary business. As a tourist though I think you should be fine in the places you are going. Scandanavia I do know have closed their borders and upped security.

Once you have got through security, but airports and train stations are probably the most dangerous places.

They are targets because of the large numbers of people, so I wouldn't be blase about being at an airport at all.

It is hard for police to stop someone walking into an airport with a suitcase bomb and detonating it at the checkin area with a large number of people queued up.

The same could be said for Football matches, cricket, even the shopping center, all have lots of people in them, but you can't hide at home forever, these idiots won't go away over night.

Cal x

The same could be said for Football matches, cricket, even the shopping center, all have lots of people in them, but you can't hide at home forever, these idiots won't go away over night.

Cal x

Any where there a crowds could be a potential problem Seemingly one of the suspects was in Birmingham last year nd had pictures of a football stadium ( didn't say which stadium )

But if everyone pulls thier horns in and stays home doesn't travel or go to a social gathering then these evil morons have won haven't they

Any where there a crowds could be a potential problem Seemingly one of the suspects was in Birmingham last year nd had pictures of a football stadium ( didn't say which stadium )

But if everyone pulls thier horns in and stays home doesn't travel or go to a social gathering then these evil morons have won haven't they

Totally agree. I won't lie and say it doesnt worry me, because it does, we have a holiday booked for in a few months that will mean we are in Manchester a few days, London for a few days and staying a couple of nights in a hotel at Gatwick airport,, I have thought about what if xyz happens ???? but theres no way we are cancelling or changing our plans just 'incase' something happens..

At one point we had debated travelling from Dover through France to our old house in Spain, IF we had booked to do this, then ,honestly, i think i would pull the pin and opt to fly direct to Spain, purely to avoid Dover /Calais as i have heard and read about the massive migrant problems and wouldn't want to get caught up in that.

Cal x

More chance being run down by the tourist hordes in Budapest than any terrorist / asylum seeker eventuality.

I disagree with that,, when you watch / read the reports of the amount of vehicles coming across with stowaways attached (in one way or another). Transport companys are also complaining about the outlay they have been forking out to repair vehicles, when migrants are damaging locks etc to try and hide in them.

Then of course is the migrants behavior, which would probably be my biggest concern and main reason to avoid the crossings, they have been caught throwing bricks and verbally attacking drivers who wont give them a lift etc.. Its not something i would want my 12 yr old to see first hand, it would scare the life out of me so would destroy her.

Cal x

I disagree with that,, when you watch / read the reports of the amount of vehicles coming across with stowaways attached (in one way or another). Transport companys are also complaining about the outlay they have been forking out to repair vehicles, when migrants are damaging locks etc to try and hide in them.

Then of course is the migrants behavior, which would probably be my biggest concern and main reason to avoid the crossings, they have been caught throwing bricks and verbally attacking drivers who wont give them a lift etc.. Its not something i would want my 12 yr old to see first hand, it would scare the life out of me so would destroy her.

Cal x

I used to do the Calais to Dover and reverse crossing around once every six weeks for the duration of a year and a half plus. Doubt very much train or bus vehicle operations of normal tourists would be impacted greatly.

Transport companies are a different kettle of fish. Of course some desperado's are attempting to steal aboard freight lorries. Besides a possible delay in clearing vehicles with more stringent checks hence a possible element of frustration resulting in so said delays there is little to be concerned about.

French drivers being a possible exception.

I remember this after 9/11. We had intended to go to NY and do a train trip down south a couple of months after the attacks. We changed plans and ironically went to Turkey and Greece instead. It was a great trip and changed my life.

I always think every time we leave out comfort zone and familiar surroundings there is the possibility of change impacting and altering the course of our lives forever. Experienced it quite a few times.

I work in transport in the UK so get all the bulletins and emails through regarding migrants in Europe, plus I get the lowdown from my drivers on the continent. All the ports (Calais, Zeebruge, Rotterdam) are crawling with migrants trying to get to the UK. Our drivers have brought footage back to the office and its scary business. As a tourist though I think you should be fine in the places you are going. Scandanavia I do know have closed their borders and upped security.

My take exactly. Tighter checks on borders I expect with the free flow apparently suspended across a number (as I believe) but little else to impact the tourist.

Archived