fionaallan1

Hi

Approx costs for us (in AUD) for a family of 4 moving from UK

15k for visa (using a migration agent)

7k flights

6k shipping our stuff

5k Deposit/kitting out new house

15k car

Not cheap or easy but well worth it for us.

Good luck!!!

For a general not state specific move....after visa costs etc we are working on:

6 x rent = $12000

6x food = $6000

2nd hand car/travel = $3000

Other spends = $2000

Flights $3500

Furniture (2nd hand) $2500

Or round about ish £14/15 K

And hoping hubby finds work quickly.

Think about if you're shipping furniture, are you shipping car etc.

I think it always depends how lavish/frugal you are usually for so.e things like food, cars etc....rent you should be able to determine yourself from realestate.com plus bond of course, flights you can work out....we will have to get a little banger car until we get on our feet I think....

Things like specific cards required to take up work etc...for my hubby that will be a working with children check. Maybe a first aid course etc....

For a general not state specific move....after visa costs etc we are working on:

6 x rent = $12000

6x food = $6000

Other spends = $2000

Flights $3500

I think it always depends how lavish/frugal you are usually for so.e things like food, cars etc....rent you should be able to determine yourself from realestate.com plus bond of course, flights you can work out....we will have to get a little banger car until we get on our feet I think....

Things like specific cards required to take up work etc...for my hubby that will be a working with children check. Maybe a first aid course etc....

Thanks, yeah we aren't lavish, we spend wisely. Thanks for the rough figures

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6 x rent = $12000

6x food = $6000

Other spends = $2000

Flights $3500

Often those courses, first aid especially are tax deductible , but obviously you need the money in the first place but getting it back at tax time helps. :yes:

Not much really...

Visa fees

6 weeks holiday rental

Flights

Shipping

Furniture and cars

All in all we spent less than 10k (pounds)

That's probably what we were thinking. What did you do to raise money??we aren't going to ship our furniture so thinking that will save us some too.

Not much really...

Visa fees

6 weeks holiday rental

Flights

Shipping

Furniture and cars

All in all we spent less than 10k (pounds)

Great to hear these things...nice to know not everyone needs mahoosive amounts of money... Did you have a job to go to HH? X

Looking for as much info as I can on prices for moving a family of 5 to Victoria. How much did it cost you? We will be applying for the skilled independent visa.

For a family of 5 the visas alone will cost $8100 at current prices.

(3600 for the applicant, $1800 for partner, $900 for each child)

Looking for as much info as I can on prices for moving a family of 5 to Victoria. How much did it cost you? We will be applying for the skilled independent visa.

it entirely depends whereabouts in Vic you're planning to live. If it's eastern suburbs of Melbourne, for a family of 5, you're looking at $2500 in rent a month easily, plus bond (usually about 5 weeks rent). If you're looking to regional Victoria, it will be less. Don't forget to include funds for kids schools. Although public schools are free, you'll still need to set them up with uniform, books and equipment, in my experience that's not cheap. Maybe $500 per child, depending on age. Also, I see you said you're not going to ship furniture. Think carefully about that as it may be a false economy. I find furniture/white goods/household stuff more expensive here, it maybe cheaper to ship than buy new, particularly for a large family. Most houses have built in wardrobes, but beds, drawers, table and chairs and couch won't be cheap.

That's probably what we were thinking. What did you do to raise money??we aren't going to ship our furniture so thinking that will save us some too.

Have you done the maths?

You will have to buy furniture if you don't ship it (so add that in).

You really burn money when here..

Cost to transfer driving license etc

Short term rental (eg holiday rental) before you find a place to rent

Hire car (until you find a car)

Food

Doing anything...

Then you move onto the real costs

4 weeks bond and 2 weeks rent up front

Buying a car

Anything you want for the house

Plus lots of other things already mentioned.

Cashflow can be an issue .. eg.. I started working 6 weeks after getting here but I am paid monthly so I was not paid until 10 weeks after I arrived.

It is typical for people to be paid weekly or fortnightly though.

We sold basically everything we owned (which wasn't much), I had a job lined up so we only had to survive for a fortnight, we basically bought everything second hand for under $2.5k (furniture) apart from our bed washer and fridge which we shipped as they were new. We bought 2 second hand cars for under $3k.

It wasn't hard it was an adventure.....might have been a different story without a wage after 2 weeks though

Thanks everyone for your help. We might ship our beds then, possibly our dining table as love it, kids bikes. I know you can get half a container. How did yous manage to line up a job before you left. Did you apply whilst you were waiting on your visa??

Hiya! We went with Immigration2Oz

Visa's £1800ish for husband. £900 is for me. £500 each for 2 kids.

Flights: Night flights with Malaysia Air £2000ish?

1 month accommodation with hotel club.com in a travel lodge £1000 for a month.

£15000 savings and £5000 cash.

$3000 on a car.

$10000 on 4 months upfront rent and deposit.

Basically, A LOT!

$30,000 should see you comfy.

Oh and we changed money up every month and put it away when the exchange rate was awesome so we couldn't spend it on crap.

Thanks everyone for your help. We might ship our beds then, possibly our dining table as love it, kids bikes. I know you can get half a container. How did yous manage to line up a job before you left. Did you apply whilst you were waiting on your visa??

You could probably go for a seven seas movecube instead of half a container.

It cost us about 1500 gbp for a large cube and we squeezed in a LOT. There are plenty of movecube threads on here.

Archived