Moving for a better life style

tea4too

Wondering where you can find wonderful beaches, great outdoor activities, culture, work life balance and affordability in the UK? These English doctors say they have found it. Although as none of them mentioned the weather, I guess they're not too bothered by a bit of rain walesonline.co.uk/news/health/junior-doctors-striking-england-colleagues-11001659 :wubclub: T x

Love Wales and would say the same applies to Scotland but this is the same kind of propaganda piece Australia are so good at putting out.

Way back I was interviewed and photographed for a piece WA were doing to attract migrants, what was used was one sound bite out of context.

Love Wales and would say the same applies to Scotland but this is the same kind of propaganda piece Australia are so good at putting out.

Way back I was interviewed and photographed for a piece WA were doing to attract migrants, what was used was one sound bite out of context.

It maybe goes with with the territory when talking or reading about potential lifestyles in Aus, but it’s not something you come across everyday in relation to the UK. I just found it refreshing tbh, probably because having moved here ourselves I can identify with much of what is written. T x

When I was a kid during the summer we practically lived on the beach in Scotland. There were lots of small bays rather than a huge stretch of sand. Learned to swim there too. The tide used to go out as far as the horizon but we played happily on the sand and in the little rock pools for hours. Happy, happy memories.

The water would be bone numbing freezing though.

We had a holiday home at Abersoch and the water wasn't too bad actually, it was never really freezing cold. It was just a shame so many weekends were wet and spoilt the fun.

Cal x

We had a holiday home at Abersoch and the water wasn't too bad actually, it was never really freezing cold. It was just a shame so many weekends were wet and spoilt the fun.

Cal x

Us too. We spent so many lovely summers there.

When I was a kid during the summer we practically lived on the beach in Scotland. There were lots of small bays rather than a huge stretch of sand. Learned to swim there too. The tide used to go out as far as the horizon but we played happily on the sand and in the little rock pools for hours. Happy, happy memories.

I've always thought that Scotland would really benefit from a bit of serious global warming - stunning beaches and scenery, if it just had a mediterranean climate it would be perfect!

I should add that I have only ever had day trips to Glasgow and Methil (sp?), but used to send a lot of people to the Kyle of Lochalsh for work and that looked amazing.

I've always thought that Scotland would really benefit from a bit of serious global warming - stunning beaches and scenery, if it just had a mediterranean climate it would be perfect.

I should add that I have only ever had day trips to Glasgow and Methil (sp?), but used to send a lot of people to the Kyle of Lochalsh for work and that looked amazing.

Seems odd Diane but the one and only time I've ever burnt in the sun (nose and shoulders) was in Scotland. South west Scotland (Dumfries and Galloway) where I was brought up has a mild climate. Here are pics of palm trees in a nearby botanic garden.

Logan Botanic Garden is a botanical garden located near Port Logan on the Rhins of Galloway, at the south-western tip of Scotland.

The area has a mild climate, due to the influence of the North Atlantic drift. The combination of the climate and the sheltered aspect of the gardens enables plants to be cultivated which would not normally survive outdoors in Scotland.

1889091[1].jpg

logan-botannical-gardens-mull-of-galloway-southwest-scotland-bp0mya[1].jpg

1889091[1].jpg

logan-botannical-gardens-mull-of-galloway-southwest-scotland-bp0mya[1].jpg

It was cold alright but it didn't stop us enjoying ourselves. Once you were in, you didn't notice the cold so much.

That's what we were saying about Cowaramup Bay in the South West of WA last week! Warm day, cold water! Lovely though once swimming.

That's what we were saying about Cowaramup Bay in the South West of WA last week! Warm day, cold water! Lovely though once swimming.

You ninny. Swam every early morning, bar two over a week far further South than Cowaramup Bay, under a mostly grey sky but the sea water was lush. Warmer when totally immersed in the water by far than land temperature.

Seems odd Diane but the one and only time I've ever burnt in the sun (nose and shoulders) was in Scotland. South west Scotland (Dumfries and Galloway) where I was brought up has a mild climate. Here are pics of palm trees in a nearby botanic garden.

Logan Botanic Garden is a botanical garden located near Port Logan on the Rhins of Galloway, at the south-western tip of Scotland.

The area has a mild climate, due to the influence of the North Atlantic drift. The combination of the climate and the sheltered aspect of the gardens enables plants to be cultivated which would not normally survive outdoors in Scotland.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33058[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33059[/ATTACH]

I think I am right in saying one of the best climates in UK? Heard about this area long ago when reading a book by David St John Thomas, called A Journey Through Britain.

Never managed to venture there personally though.

It was cold alright but it didn't stop us enjoying ourselves. Once you were in, you didn't notice the cold so much.

Its not so much you (or should i say, the person in the water) who had the issues, it was our kids and friends kids who were watching ,as its no fun on a beach in the freezing cold with a very nippy breeze or the rain.. On saying that we spent a fortune on dry suits, gloves etc to enable us to ride (jet ski's) when it was chilly but there's nothing worse than the rain when your on a ski, every drop is like a needle pricking your face.

I still love Abersoch though as its climate is different to other areas in and around Wales.

Cal x

I think I am right in saying one of the best climates in UK? Heard about this area long ago when reading a book by David St John Thomas, called A Journey Through Britain.

Never managed to venture there personally though.

I don't know about it having one of the best climates in the UK but it can have glorious summers. The west coast of Scotland is FAR milder than the east coast but does receive a lot of rain.

That part of Scotland would be my favourite place in the UK - not just for sentimental reasons but it is very picturesque. Beautiful countryside, forests, lakes and the sea.

Pembrokeshire was our holiday spot. Just perfect. If the weather is good it's hard to beat

You could say that about 1000 coastal holiday spots in the UK. My Aunt, Uncle and cousins live in Robin Hoods Bay and I used to go there most summers when I was at school. Loved it and Scarborough and Whitby close by. They would be world class holiday resorts if they had a Mediterranean climate.

There wouldn't be 1000's of people jumping on planes to Spain, Portugal or somewhere else warm and sunny.

I don't know about it having one of the best climates in the UK but it can have glorious summers. The west coast of Scotland is FAR milder than the east coast but does receive a lot of rain.

That part of Scotland would be my favourite place in the UK - not just for sentimental reasons but it is very picturesque. Beautiful countryside, forests, lakes and the sea.

A wonderful area often overlooked by tourists who sit on the M74 to head further North, or those who are heading to "Norn Irn", they see very little of the area from the A75 which bypasses many wonderful historic towns. Stunning scenery around Glentrool, where I used to spend every other weekend climbing, walking and wild camping.

No lakes though. Plenty of loch's, but no lakes. :wink:

A wonderful area often overlooked by tourists who sit on the M74 to head further North, or those who are heading to "Norn Irn", they see very little of the area from the A75 which bypasses many wonderful historic towns. Stunning scenery around Glentrool, where I used to spend every other weekend climbing, walking and wild camping.

No lakes though. Plenty of loch's, but no lakes. :wink:

Glen Trool/Loch Trool is a lovely area. Robert The Bruce fought and won a minor battle there in 1307 (Scottish Wars Of Independence). There is a monument there for The Bruce.

Wondering where you can find wonderful beaches, great outdoor activities, culture, work life balance and affordability in the UK? These English doctors say they have found it. Although as none of them mentioned the weather, I guess they're not too bothered by a bit of rain walesonline.co.uk/news/health/junior-doctors-striking-england-colleagues-11001659 :wubclub: T x

Yes t42 ,wales is a good shout ...cardiff and Swansea are becoming decent cities to live ...great nightlife.

Then you have the outstanding scenery ,and affordable housing .

I have a mate who swears by Pembrokeshire .

I have only popped in and out of south wales for work .

Even Newport shocked me ,you could see the old being knocked down ,and replaced by the new ..

And of course ,the most memorable drive of my life ...top to bottom ....not a cloud ,snow on the ground ....mountains ...valleys ...beautiful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33058[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33059[/ATTACH]

That's because that area of Scotland picks up a favourable run of the jet stream ...seriously .

The rest of Scotland can be freezing ,and this little area is favoured

Its not so much you (or should i say, the person in the water) who had the issues, it was our kids and friends kids who were watching ,as its no fun on a beach in the freezing cold with a very nippy breeze or the rain.. On saying that we spent a fortune on dry suits, gloves etc to enable us to ride (jet ski's) when it was chilly but there's nothing worse than the rain when your on a ski, every drop is like a needle pricking your face.

I still love Abersoch though as its climate is different to other areas in and around Wales.

Cal x

This made me smile as it reminded me of sand in sandwiches, trying to fix gran’s fold up chair so it didn’t collapse in the pebbles and windbreaks buckling under force 9 gales!

It’s true that UK holidays can be tricky if relying on the weather and it’s probably safest to have a plan B when planning days out, but living in a place is different. I go to the beach all weathers now and appreciate it for different reasons depending on the day. And the shoreline is just one aspect of living here, there are a lot of other things that might not seem too important on their own but together add up to a pretty good lifestyle. Guaranteed sunshine isn’t one of them though, so I understand why Wales might not be everyone’s first choice of places to live or move to.:smile: T x

That's because that area of Scotland picks up a favourable run of the jet stream ...seriously .

The rest of Scotland can be freezing ,and this little area is favoured

That would be the North Atlantic Drift, the continual warm sea current which keeps the land along the West coast of Scotland just slightly warmer relative to the the East coast. Warm enough for sub-tropical plants to be grown in areas right up the West Coast from Galloway to the Western Isles.

The jet stream is an air current up in the stratosphere which flows all around the planet.

Archived