Record numbers depart Australia

amibovered

Guest The Pom Queen
Nope! Did that 4 years ago but not on the last two trips to the UK? I just assumed they'd stopped it?

I can't believe how you haven't done it they are so strict with it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway I don't expect a decline in numbers. Increasing numbers of Aussie born also moving out. A woman got chatting to down in Albany WA, informed me her local born daughter had left four months ago with her NZ born husband to NZ , where they have opened a tourist business.

Another bloke renting a house that was on the market, originally from NSW , lost his job in something mine related and was going to work in Mongolia, but live in Thailand type scenario.

The world economy is fluid and getting worse ......thats why I always Sa to people who have a comfortable life in oz ,but are worried about family in the u.k ...STAY WHERE YOU ARE .

Its like snakes and bloody ladders ,you may drop down a few pegs .....realise its not as you thought ...so you have another roll and cant get back .

I can't believe how you haven't done it they are so strict with it.

Try getting into the u.s ...at Gatwick the other week going to Vegas .....shoes off belt off ....all contents on a tray .....each thumb fingerprinted...then left and right hand .....3 levels of security outbound at Gatwick .....3 levels when we arrived in Vegas ...with warnings any joking would not be appreciated

Then we arrived back in Gatwick ,an airport probably built for a quarter of the volume it takes now ....what a shithole and an embarrassment to entering the u.k..

Half the checks didn't work .....plus there were 8 flights going through at once .

If and when I fly again ,my first stipulation will be BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT PLEASE .....i will avoid Heathrow and Gatwick like the plague ...

Actually Japanese have been in decline for sometime. Chinese again to the rescue it would appear. Just to what degree economic salvation may be found in tour buses though is another matter.

I go through Stratford at least once a week .....always rammed busy .

As you say a lot of Chinese now ....for how long they will be the big players is anyone's guess .

It may be short lived.

I can guarantee that the powers that be in the u.s are trying to hasten the decline .

INDIA is now officially growing faster than china .....but we already have enough of them ....ooooppps

Don't bother, Birmingham must have the slowest baggage handlers and most miserable Border Force personnel in the entire country

Probably ...but its only 20 mins from my house ....and I ain't got to drive up that bloody m25 and out of the s.e ...bloody place that is

Yes they are compulsory. The wording is regards duration of time out of country and country where most time will be spent if on a short term departure. Permanent departures fill in another column. They are collected at immigration and pretty well impossible to pass out without completion.

They are the ones I fill in when having a coffee pre departure but everyone else seems to get to the queue to present them then realise they haven't filled them in so scout around for a pen and holds the whole queue up ( is it just me it happens to lol )!

They are the ones I fill in when having a coffee pre departure but everyone else seems to get to the queue to present them then realise they haven't filled them in so scout around for a pen and holds the whole queue up ( is it just me it happens to lol )!

I do that too Pat I know what you mean about folk scratching around at the last minute looking of a pen :dull:

I am not surprised to be honest, meet many young Australians who come to stratford and local area and love it. they say its like a different world and far more exiting and oz was so stuck in the past and boring compared.

You do surprise me, were those the same Aussies that you said had told you they could not understand why the British talk down their Country and how they could never do that ?

You would think reading this then that Immigration would process outstanding visas a little faster for people wanting to move to the country

Maybe the government are quite happy for more people to be leaving than arriving, less people on the unemployment figures, election coming up, but maybe I'm being to cynical.

I've never ever been given a departure card only an arrival card at both ends which didn't ask for a reason for travel?

Your memory must be playing tricks on you Kev ( I know the feeling mate), Australia has a departure card, normally given to you at the check-in desk, also in Brisbane there is a long bench at the bottom of the escalator (as you leave the general public departure hall) usually pretty crowded along with the filling of the plastic bags with liquids.

Arrival cards are normally given out on the plane.

Not on priority 1 group visa's. 187 has gone from 5-6 month processing to in a lot of the cases being reported currently, 9 months. The only visa's we seeing movement on are the skills with no job offers. Rather confusing if you take an application on 186/187 has a firm job offer.

parleycross - as for being picky as to who is taken in.... I would have it no other way. But since you on a migration page, I assume you either trying to leave or are a migrant yourself so should have some understanding as to the emotional toll of this process

It appears to be the building up of a pool of employees for potential jobs. Remember immigration is but another business. It hardly matters to the government if the migrant lands a job or not. Just as long as they are not a drag on the public purse. They are free to return home if all else fails. Keeps things ticking over.

Guest The Pom Queen
Try getting into the u.s ...at Gatwick the other week going to Vegas .....shoes off belt off ....all contents on a tray .....each thumb fingerprinted...then left and right hand .....3 levels of security outbound at Gatwick .....3 levels when we arrived in Vegas ...with warnings any joking would not be appreciated

Then we arrived back in Gatwick ,an airport probably built for a quarter of the volume it takes now ....what a shithole and an embarrassment to entering the u.k..

Half the checks didn't work .....plus there were 8 flights going through at once .

If and when I fly again ,my first stipulation will be BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT PLEASE .....i will avoid Heathrow and Gatwick like the plague ...

Yes done America twice recently the queues are stupid, then because I have a medical device I always get stopped after the full body scan. Then I usually get pulled by the drug test guy in Aus. The fingerprint thing is stupid in USA you do it once at the machines that you queue for and then again when you have queued another hour for the passport officer. Even domestic flights in the States are nightmares but I can't blame them and I do feel safer flying.

The world economy is fluid and getting worse ......thats why I always Sa to people who have a comfortable life in oz ,but are worried about family in the u.k ...STAY WHERE YOU ARE .

Its like snakes and bloody ladders ,you may drop down a few pegs .....realise its not as you thought ...so you have another roll and cant get back .

It is getting worse but if little to gain by remaining then good reason to seek greener pastures. I wouldn't have said UK in the main though.

I go through Stratford at least once a week .....always rammed busy .

As you say a lot of Chinese now ....for how long they will be the big players is anyone's guess .

It may be short lived.

I can guarantee that the powers that be in the u.s are trying to hasten the decline .

INDIA is now officially growing faster than china .....but we already have enough of them ....ooooppps

Tourism is a fickle industry to say the least. I don't see it as greatly beneficial to the majority of the home population. In fact can make life far worse. I always recall the amazing number of 'tourist lets' in London , that deprived Londoners of cheaper accommodation or simply refused to house Brit's. Or how once affordable islands in South East Asia sidelined their own populations in order to build expensive tourist facilities.

Still desirable cities around the world are doing just that without the tourist justification, so can't put it all down to that. Still question remains just how beneficial in this market for all but a few?

If tourists pay own carriers and travel in own arranged groups with nominated pit stops, perhaps paying the tour group leader for the privilege, the benefits become marginal.

The world will be chasing Indian custom and migration increasingly. It has one of the fastest developing middle classes and educated populations anywhere. There are simply not the places in India for their vast numbered of educated to get a life. Hence ever bigger numbers will seek to go abroad.

Don't bother, Birmingham must have the slowest baggage handlers and most miserable Border Force personnel in the entire country

Not sure about that, at Manchester Airport on my last UK visit in 2011:

'Where are you coming from?'

'Australia'

'What are you doing back in this shithole for then?'...

Yes done America twice recently the queues are stupid, then because I have a medical device I always get stopped after the full body scan.

In the US you don't have to go through that body scanner. You can ask for a full pat down instead. I always do. Only time I've gone through one was in the UK where I was told it was mandatory.

If tourists pay own carriers and travel in own arranged groups with nominated pit stops, perhaps paying the tour group leader for the privilege, the benefits become marginal.

The "benefits" are the money spent on accommodation, meals and other services. This amounts to $30 billion annually from international tourists in Oz. And half a million Australians employed in tourism. I wouldn't call that "marginal".

I guess all the Chinese shopping in Brisbane CBD and eating with accommodation, not to mention the gambling must not be of benefit to the local economy what so ever.

Doom and gloom