What is the weather really like in Melbourne and how much of the year can be spent outdoors

Buyer71

Hi All

We are looking at a potential move to Melbourne and I am just trying to find out what the weather is really like throughout the year- I know that it can have changes within a day but on average what are the temperatures like.

Are you able to spend more time outdoors than you would in the UK?

I have visited Sydney and Brisbane and my husband has lived in both cities when he was younger but neither of us have visited Melbourne so not 100% sure about the weather and how this does or doesn't impact life outdoors such as the park for the kids or the beach/swimming, or just walking and having a wander.

I am trying to work out if my vision of what Melbourne can offer us is realistic or not.

Thanks for any comments or thoughts you have.

Edited by Buyer71

I have lived in Melbourne for over 35 years and the weather hasn't stopped us doing anything.

The heat is usually drier than the northern states which I prefer to humid heat.

I wouldn't say we get more rain compared to anywhere else either.

How much time you can spend outside depends a lot on what kind of weather you will go outside in and what you want to do outside. If you like to spend time swimming in outdoor pools, or in the sea at the beach, then you could probably do this far more in Melbourne than in the UK. However if you like to spend your time outside skiing or making snow men then you might struggle in either country and would be better off in the Alps.

I think a lot of factors influence how much time you spend outside, and not just the weather and how much the weather influences how much time you spend outside depends a lot on how you personally cope with it. If you listen to some on this forum you would think that people don't go outside there front door for 3 months of the year, and that they certainly would not be in the open air on a 40 degree day. However this is rubbish and while you will find it is definitely quieter during the heat of the day on hot days you will still find people out in it. Whether you will be one of those people will depend on how well you cope with it. Not that I have much choice incidentally as I still have to get home on the bus if it's 40 outside or not.

Guest The Pom Queen

Lived in Melbourne 8 years at first we found the weather better than the rainy North of the UK but after a while those winters do start getting to you. I think it's because you don't have central heating or double glazing you feel the cold more. You will have some lovely day's weather wise but you won't be able to guarantee what days they are as it really is a 4 seasons in one day type of place at times

I'm not sure what you mean by not having central heating.

I have ducted gas heating throughout the home as I expect most houses have that are less than 25 years or so old. And can be installed in older houses also.

I also have good insulation.

Of course it is nothing like as cold as the UK in winter.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have ducted gas heating throughout the home as I expect most houses have that are less than 25 years or so old. And can be installed in older houses also.

We had ducted but come on its nothing like central heating. As soon as you turn ducted off its freezing where as radiators hold the heat for some time after. Also the new builds are very cold to live in during winter.

We are going back to Adelaide in late April I know it's Melbourne climate being discussed but it is a similar climates and I plan to take my winter boots and a couple of jackets When I said that to some uk friends they said To Australia and looked at me as if I was daft

Yes it gets cold not the biting north east wind like her in the UK but cold enough to wrap up warm

Australian houses I find don't pander to heating I often felt cold in our last house until we put in gas ducted heating

We had an electric blanket in Oz don't own one in England

i often think people think of Oz and sunshine but it's truly not like that The summer can be too much sunshine ,the Spring and Autumn months glorious

so yes you can spend as much time as you want for outdoors as long as your dressed for it

We had ducted but come on its nothing like central heating. As soon as you turn ducted off its freezing where as radiators hold the heat for some time after. Also the new builds are very cold to live in during winter.

I have to agree our ducted was good but our bedroom was like an oven being close to the system in the roof

Give me radiators with that even temperature right through the house anytime but we never came across the Combi systems that we have in the UK Thinking maybe I should take a Combi system with me when we go back !

Central heating is not a term we use here so I don't really know what it means.

But most systems are temperature controlled anyway. I don't switch it off.

I just set it to the desired temp usually about 23 degrees and leave it on all the time when home. It switches itself on and off to maintain the programmed temperature.

Although I can program it for different settings for different periods eg Wake, Leave, Home and Sleep.

But all computer controlled along with the Air con.

Radiators are only suitable for small rooms and take forever to heat up too.

Edited by parleycross

Guest The Pom Queen

I just set it to the desired temp usually about 23 degrees and leave it on all the time when home. It switches itself on and off to maintain the programmed temperature.

Although I can program it for different settings for different periods eg Wake, Leave, Home and Sleep.

You see, ours in Melbourne didn't have individual room controls, so in the home theatre room it would get roasting but because the house was open plan the rest of the house would still be cold.

You see, ours in Melbourne didn't have individual room controls, so in the home theatre room it would get roasting but because the house was open plan the rest of the house would still be cold.

No I only have 1 thermostat too in the main room, not individual room controls.

I did upgrade the whole system last year. I wanted ducted air conditioning which I hadn't had before and to use the same ducting for both heating and cooling I had to replace all the ducting with bigger and upgraded everything with a more powerful gas heating and add on refridgerated cooling.

It cost me nearly $15,000 but is a great system.

I do have a zoned system but not individual room controls. That is doable but more money so haven't done that.

I prefer to sleep in a cold/cool room too, but the heat is fairly consistent throughout the house.

If a room isn't heating properly through the ducted system it can be fixed so a good idea to get someone to look at it.

We are in an older weatherboard single-glazed draughty house.

Our heating hasn't been on since the beginning of September. It hopefully won't be on for another 3 or 4 months yet.

Over the summer we've had the air-con on Less than a dozen times. And only periodically, not all day and all night.

We have a ceiling fan in the family/tv room. It does a great job. We use an oscillating fan at night in summer to make it easier to get to sleep. Then wake up in the middle of the night to switch it off!

I've been in shorts and t-shirt since September, and hopefully won't need to dig out my work jeans until the end of May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always told that our Melbourne weather is the same as that of Athens- so a lot warmer than anywhere in the UK. The first 3 years we lived here I never wore a coat but the old blood thinned up a bit after that! Never have to wear gloves though and it is much drier than the UK. When it does rain ( not often enough I am afraid but that is another issue) it dries off really quickly so you don't get that awful sloshy stuff that is over there with wet roads. Never snows except up at the top of the mountains, very rarely do you get frost ( haven't seen any for years now) but we used to 30 years ago so it must be a bit warmer now.

I always assume - but I may be mistaken :rolleyes:- that when Poms use the term central heating they mean a hydronic system in which heated water is pumped to wall radiators. We had one in an old farmhouse we used to live in and I'm seriously thinking of installing it in this house.

I always assume - but I may be mistaken :rolleyes:- that when Poms use the term central heating they mean a hydronic system in which heated water is pumped to wall radiators. We had one in an old farmhouse we used to live in and I'm seriously thinking of installing it in this house.

Go for it, so much better than ducted heating.

Quite a few people round here have it. A Pommie plumber who lives in Launceston does a great job.

We have ,in the UK what's called a Combi system and the radiators are warm within minutes and water instantaneous Its a constant even heat our radiators all have thermostats anyway so we can turn right down in rooms not being used plus it's very economical

We have a lounge dining room that's quite big with a double radiant either end and no other heating needed

Our ducted gas heating warmed but became overpowering then when it was turned off it cooled very very quickly

our house was insulated but no double glazing I think that makes a huge difference

Must admit give me radiators any time

Probably not parley ...but once again ,and at risk of repeating myself ...NO DAYS BELOW ZERO AND NO SNOW AGAIN THIS WINTER ....

Very pleasurable

Oh. Never heard of that setup before.

My son has a portable radiator in his bedroom which I inherited from my Mum when she passed away.

I don't think he needs it though anymore since I upgraded the system last year.

I don't see them being very practical in large open plan homes, and gas was always supposed to be cheap and instantaneous heat which is probably why that became popular

Go for it, so much better than ducted heating.

They always push "heat pumps" here as being the cheapest form of heating but I've never liked them - they always feel draughty to me. I just have to find the wall space to fit the radiators. :rolleyes:

That's exactly how it should be done. I never understood why people in the UK talk about turning their central heating on or off at different times of the year. Building regs require an interlock, and that would mean a thermostat in at least one room. Set it, and it should be turning things on and off, like you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk