Potentially relocating from the west coast to the east!

Phoenix16

So, having settled very well in Australia, in Perth, it seems we may potentially be relocating to the East coast! it really does feel like emigrating all over again, im very excited but daunted about the basic domestics! I know Perth inside out but I know Sydney is a whole new world! everyone says Northern Beaches is a must....ive never actually been to Sydney so its pie in the sky for me. Here is the list of essentials, and hopefully you sydneysiders can assist me with locations!!

• Private all girls school (daughter goes to a fab all girls school here and is thriving...)
  • Don't want to have to do a 30 minute drive to school and back (as I do here), I want her to have access to friends out of school
  • Hubby needs a 20 (30 mins max) train drive into CBD
  • I want a house with a POOL! its essential!
  • Not too worried about being close to beach, we can see the beach now and we NEVER go there
  • Thats it really!!

So essentially, close to CBD, a pool, great school for daughter and Im happy!! I would welcome some great suburb suggestions!! (Oh and one last thing, I am obsessed with the east coast swimming pools carved in the rocks at the beach, would be lovely to have one of them to go to every day!)

Before you are allowed to move you have to get out of that wacky Perth habit of calling us east coasters, east coast, east, over east etc etc etc ;) Even poor Adelaide is often lumped in as east coast...sometimes I wonder if people in the eastern suburbs of perth get funny looks :)

Edited by fish.01

So essentially, close to CBD, a pool, great school for daughter and Im happy!! I would welcome some great suburb suggestions!! (Oh and one last thing, I am obsessed with the east coast swimming pools carved in the rocks at the beach, would be lovely to have one of them to go to every day!)

Hi Jessie, so to be possibly more help than my joking above, and until a Sydney person pops along, my first thoughts are that you wish list sounds extremely expensive. Of course you may have the moolah but just mentioning it in case you don't understand how expensive inner Sydney is.

Some outlets report that Sydney house prices have broken the median of $1miiiion+. See: http://www.domain.com.au/news/sydney-median-house-price-now-1-million-domain-group-20150722-gihvty/

Sydney CBD is surrounded by 300+ suburbs with median $1million and higher (much higher in many cases). This compares to Perth with 39.

See: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/realestate/news/sydney-has-302-suburbs-with-median-house-or-unit-prices-of-1-million-or-higher/news-story/aa3232415d3dd89d9e7f5056e5ab56ab

These 300 suburbs probably cover almost every place you could find that is close to the CBD, close to those cool harbour/beach rock pools etc. In fact they probably spread right out into suburbs that have none of those qualities.

Apologies if you already know all this, just that Sydney is a very budget dependent city.

Edited by fish.01

Well it was actually just being nice but unfortunately I think im going to have to leave Perth!! As much as I love it here im excited about the next adventure, we are camping and fishing freaks and the thought of the 'other side' of OZ to explore is just too tempting for hubby!!

:) You probably know this site well https://www.exploroz.com...we might see you up south east qld way one day as many great camping, fishing etc spots around here.

Hi Jessie, so to be possibly more help than my joking above, and until a Sydney person pops along, my first thoughts are that you wish list sounds extremely expensive. Of course you may have the moolah but just mentioning it in case you don't understand how expensive inner Sydney is.

Some outlets report that Sydney house prices have broken the median of $1miiiion+. See: http://www.domain.com.au/news/sydney-median-house-price-now-1-million-domain-group-20150722-gihvty/

Sydney CBD is surrounded by 300+ suburbs with median $1million and higher (much higher in many cases). This compares to Perth with 39.

See: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/realestate/news/sydney-has-302-suburbs-with-median-house-or-unit-prices-of-1-million-or-higher/news-story/aa3232415d3dd89d9e7f5056e5ab56ab

These 300 suburbs probably cover almost every place you could find that is close to the CBD, close to those cool harbour/beach rock pools etc. In fact they probably spread right out into suburbs that have none of those qualities.

Apologies if you already know all this, just that Sydney is a very budget dependent city.

Thank you for the information! Yeah, I suspected this, we do have a very healthy budget, however, we are not into the 'swanky, keeping up with the Jones Areas', seen all that in Perth (all be it on a much smaller scale!), just want a nice area, a nice house and access to CBD via train and access to a good school where play dates and friendships are viable!

Oh wow, a new adventure for you.

cant help with any of your questions, but just wanted to wish you good luck.

My OH worked most of last winter in Sydney, so I would pop over to see him lol.

I really liked the CBD and the other "tourist spots". Thought it was a v easy city to get about in. Found it on a par with or slightly cheaper to eat and drink than Perth.

It was def colder than Perth!!

Personally the suburb OH was working in was dire, it would make Rotherham look like paradise haha, and while sat on the train from the airport it was like that for the whole journey, but a different direction would bring nicer places.

Stay clear of any Wests venues, like UK working men's clubs on steroids!!

Edited by fifi69

Thank you for the information! Yeah, I suspected this, we do have a very healthy budget, however, we are not into the 'swanky, keeping up with the Jones Areas', seen all that in Perth (all be it on a much smaller scale!), just want a nice area, a nice house and access to CBD via train and access to a good school where play dates and friendships are viable!

Brizzy it is then, and I'll show you the fishing holes and the escape routes from city life

I loved your initial requirements btw...if you pull it off can I move in too ? :)

As you probably know people in Sydney often commute very long distances or live in very small houses/apts or spend a fortune. I often get the impression it can be a very fine balancing act between commutes/budget/house size so you might possibly have to give a commute max time, rough budget range and minimum housing size to get answers that really fit your circumstances.

Edited by fish.01

Oh wow, a new adventure for you.

cant help with any of your questions, but just wanted to wish you good luck.

My OH worked most of last winter in Sydney, so I would pop over to see him lol.

I really liked the CBD and the other "tourist spots". Thought it was a v easy city to get about in. Found it on a par with or slightly cheaper to eat and drink than Perth.

It was def colder than Perth!!

Personally the suburb OH was working in was dire, it would make Rotherham look like paradise haha, and while sat on the train from the airport it was like that for the whole journey, but a different direction would bring nicer places.

Stay clear of any Wests venues, UK working men's clubs are more classy!!

Aww Fifi, thank you for the lovely words! Its really early doors, negotiating me being able to finish my degree here in WA and him 'commuting'! We will know more in next few weeks but I know Hubby and when hes got his mind set its gonna happen so im just exploring the relocation side as Sydney seems (and obviously is!) so much bigger that Perth! It really does feel like emigrating all over again and to be honest the first time was so exciting and amazing im looking forward to the adventure of it!!!

I loved your initial requirements btw...if you pull it off can I move in too ? :)

As you probably know people in Sydney often commute very long distances or live in very small houses/apts or spend a fortune. I often get the impression it can be a very fine balancing act between commutes/budget/house size so you might possibly have to give a commute max time, rough budget range and minimum housing size to get answers that really fit your circumstances.

All Im gonna say is you can defintely move in!! and... with a name like Fish, hubbys gonna love you, you might finally teach him how to actually catch one!!!

All Im gonna say is you can defintely move in!! and... with a name like Fish, hubbys gonna love you, you might finally teach him how to actually catch one!!!

Sadly you'll will have to be the one who likes me because:

1. If you live in inner sydney I'll be out every day exploring the urban environment on my bicycle

2. I hate fishing

:wubclub: Just popping off to wake the wife and tell her the news ;)

Edited by fish.01

I know Sydney is a whole new world! everyone says Northern Beaches is a must....ive never actually been to Sydney so its pie in the sky for me. Here is the list of essentials, and hopefully you sydneysiders can assist me with locations!!

• Private all girls school (daughter goes to a fab all girls school here and is thriving...)

• Don't want to have to do a 30 minute drive to school and back (as I do here), I want her to have access to friends out of school

• Hubby needs a 20 (30 mins max) train drive into CBD

• I want a house with a POOL! its essential!

• Not too worried about being close to beach, we can see the beach now and we NEVER go there

• Thats it really!!

A 30 minute commute is a short commute by Sydney standards. There are no trains to the Northern Beaches, though there is the ferry from Manly.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/cheat-sheet-the-top-10-private-schools-for-girls-in-sydney-2015-5#1

Of the schools on the list, it will be very much cheaper to live close to Presbyterian Ladies College in Croydon or Meriden College in Strathfield than any of the other choices. Both have excellent reputations. Personally I like the area around PLC - Ashbury is a lovely old-established suburb full of original Federation houses, and you can pick one up for around $1.5 million which is cheap by Sydney standards. I find the Inner West less pretentious and conservative than the North Shore but each to their own.

You can check house prices on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au

Well it was actually just being nice but unfortunately I think im going to have to leave Perth!! As much as I love it here im excited about the next adventure, we are camping and fishing freaks and the thought of the 'other side' of OZ to explore is just too tempting for hubby!!

I grew up in Sydney and we spent many weekends camping and fishing within a days drive of Sydney. Lots to see and do. Enjoy and post pictures!

From living in Sydney for two years I would support the fact that 20 minute commute in Sydney is almost impossible irrespective of budget. Manly is 30 minutes on the fast ferry door to door if you live harbour side of the town and work in circular quay. Any change from those locations it's longer

northern beaches is amazing and seems like you can afford it so great option but the L90 does not respect income or status it will cramp u up like anyone else :(

mosman? Extremely Pricey but nearer the city and I think there is a private girls school there

Hi Jessie

I hope you will like Sydney as much as I do. It's a great city - lots going on, loads of great places to live, fab beaches, tons of countryside all over, city centre and harbour is as great a setting for a city as you'll find anywhere in the world.

But. There is a but, and it is the cost of housing, coupled with the size of the city meaning commutes and journeys can be slow. Just like London, lots have to make the decision to compromise either on a longer commute or a much smaller house or flat in a more central area.

Anywhere within 20-30 minutes of the CBD is going to be quite expensive, that's a given

I would try and consider the commute and education together in the first instance. Take a look at Sydney's train map:http://www.sydneytrains.info/stations/network_map

30 minutes from the CBD is, roughly, anti clockwise from the top, Pymble, Mac Uni, Rhodes, Parramatta, Belmore, Kingsgrove, Hurstville. So start with areas near those railway lines in that boundary.

Next, schools. Take a look through the websites of some of these:

http://www.sydneyprivateschools.com/Sydney/All-Suburbs/All-Religions/All-Ages/girls-only/?page=1

Nearly all private schools in NSW are nominally religious, because public schools have to be completely secular. There are girls only public schools too, Jock has mentioned one. I *think* these are all high schools, with primary schools being all Co-ed, but don't quote me on that. Most girls only high schools are selective, but not all. Competition to get in any selective high school is high.

Lastly, a bit of Sydney geography.

images.jpg

I'm going to be really sweeping in my generalisations here, for which I apologise.

Eastern Suburbs: very expensive. Houses of all shapes and sizes and lots of flats. Even the cheaper areas like Queen's Park and Randwick are pricey, expensive ones like Double Bay and Vaucluse are like Knightsbridge. Quite urbanized, lots of small blocks but lots of lovely parks - and beaches

Inner West: a big area with lots of variety. Originally cheaper housing built mostly 1900-1950ish, but has mostly been gentrified. More trendy/hipster/young professional than the older money eastern subs and north shore. Some lovely villagey areas. Mostly smaller blocks, sub 500 square metres, so not many with pools. Good local facilities and transport though.

North Shore: divides into lower (south of chatswood) and upper. Lower north shore is mostly expensive family territory, but with pockets of areas of flats and smaller houses (neutral bay, crows nest, north Sydney). North Sydney and chatswood are also big commercial/office areas, with St Leonard's not far behind. Some areas with bigger blocks and therefore more pools, some of these are extremely expensive (mosman), some less so (lane cove)

Upper north shore is all sprawling, very leafy, family houses on big blocks, 1000sq m plus. Pools are the norm and there are lots of girls private schools up here but everyone drives everywhere and it can be a bit suburban. Not a lot going on in terms of nightlife!

North West: a mixed bag from very expensive ( hunters hill) to leafy places like Beecroft that are a bit like the upper north shore, then Ryde which is a very variable area from a bit grubby to really quite posh , to the Hills district which is sprawly family suburb stuff again. Too far to commute out there though for you.

South of the CBD (south Sydney. St George), is traditionally "battler" territory but this is changing rapidly and again, suburbs in easy reach of CBD are pricey. Less education options if you want private single sex down here

I can't stress enough that budget drives everything though. A house with a pool in striking distance of the CBD? Start thinking around $1.5m and go up from there. Then add $20-25K school fees...

images.jpg

Some great replies and I appreciate them all, thank you especially @northshorepom for taking time to write such a detailed and informative reply. I suspect Sydney will be a shock after 6 years in Perth, I did think Perth was expensive but we will no doubt reflect back on the 'good old days' of Perth where housing was 'cheap' and commutes were short ha ha! It's some way off though and you have given me lots of information to wile away many hours researching, many thanks everyone xxx PS federation houses, I just love them so that's been added to the list, well 'wish' list I now realise!!