Now things are starting to move wondering if this is the right thing :(

The Smith Clan

At point of signing up with an agency and applying for my English exam and skills assessment and now the reality hits home.

Is this right for us all moving from family?

What if this is the biggest mistake would cost us financially?

What if worse off financially how would we be happier and stuck unable to return (we know average wage but haven't yet secured jobs as so early into process)

Then when we talk about staying in the UK I fell disappointed and worry for our childrens futures here and we ask our selves what if moving is the best thing we ever did!

Anyone else experience this?

Feeling confused!

I think those feelings crop up for many during the migration process.

I don't have any answers. I'm a believer in giving it a go as if its something I really wanted, I'd rather have tried it for myself and found out one way or the other.

It sounds like you need to take stock - actually write down the pro's and con's. What benefits do you expect? I always worry when I see people saying they're moving to give their kids a better future. There are good reasons to move to Australia but I'm not convinced that's one of them.

30 years ago when I emigrated to Australia, it definitely offered a "better life" - more job opportunities, great salaries, cheap housing. A lot of Brits still have that picture of Australia but it hasn't been like that for a long time. Unemployment in Australia is worse than the UK and rising, and housing is expensive in most cities (I notice in Wanted Down Under, they're covering this up by showing families homes a ridiculous commute from where they'll be working!). Many young people in Australia are still living with their parents into their thirties, because they can't afford to buy a flat of their own.

If you love the outdoor lifestyle then Australia may give you and your family a "better life" in terms of day-to-day living, and that may well be worth it for you. How can you put a price on happiness? Many families who move to Sydney (unless they've come from London), find that they're worse off financially, but if they love the Aussie lifestyle they feel it's worth it.

Personally I prefer the Australian lifestyle and will be returning eventually - BUT if I was younger, I think I would be staying in the UK because the career opportunities are so much greater, with the ease of travel meaning I'd have the whole of Europe to choose from. I'm glad I was educated in the UK, too, because there is so much more choice - even now, there is no equivalent in Australia to the business/language diploma I got in Scotland many years ago.

It's human nature. Many of us fantasise about things and then when that fantasy could be a reality we then prefer to keep it as a fantasy - otherwise it could mean 'change' and us Brits are typical creatures of hating change!

One way to view it differently could be to rethink your ideas on change? I read a book some years ago called Who Moved My Cheese by Dr Spencer Johnson. It has a great analogy to explain it. However, the difference is that it's about change that is sometimes out of your control, whereas your change would be by choice. Just remember that you're in control of the emigration process - it's not in control of you. If you get visas, if you get job offers, if you book flights, you still have the right to turn it all down if you don't want to go when the time comes.

It sounds like you need to take stock - actually write down the pro's and con's. What benefits do you expect? I always worry when I see people saying they're moving to give their kids a better future. There are good reasons to move to Australia but I'm not convinced that's one of them.

30 years ago when I emigrated to Australia, it definitely offered a "better life" - more job opportunities, great salaries, cheap housing. A lot of Brits still have that picture of Australia but it hasn't been like that for a long time. Unemployment in Australia is worse than the UK and rising, and housing is expensive in most cities (I notice in Wanted Down Under, they're covering this up by showing families homes a ridiculous commute from where they'll be working!). Many young people in Australia are still living with their parents into their thirties, because they can't afford to buy a flat of their own.

If you love the outdoor lifestyle then Australia may give you and your family a "better life" in terms of day-to-day living, and that may well be worth it for you. How can you put a price on happiness? Many families who move to Sydney (unless they've come from London), find that they're worse off financially, but if they love the Aussie lifestyle they feel it's worth it.

Personally I prefer the Australian lifestyle and will be returning eventually - BUT if I was younger, I think I would be staying in the UK because the career opportunities are so much greater, with the ease of travel meaning I'd have the whole of Europe to choose from. I'm glad I was educated in the UK, too, because there is so much more choice - even now, there is no equivalent in Australia to the business/language diploma I got in Scotland many years ago.

M

Many thanks for your response, we both agree that as exciting Oz looks and we hear on programs like wanted down under we cant wear rose tinted glasses. The pros and cons list is a good idea and we will do this, we have done a mental one but one written will make it clearer. Since my post we have looked at Adelaide where we wanted to settle and its high unemployment :( I am visiting in March and I guess I will know for sure by then.

Thanks again you guys on here are soo helpful :)

It's human nature. Many of us fantasise about things and then when that fantasy could be a reality we then prefer to keep it as a fantasy - otherwise it could mean 'change' and us Brits are typical creatures of hating change!

One way to view it differently could be to rethink your ideas on change? I read a book some years ago called Who Moved My Cheese by Dr Spencer Johnson. It has a great analogy to explain it. However, the difference is that it's about change that is sometimes out of your control, whereas your change would be by choice. Just remember that you're in control of the emigration process - it's not in control of you. If you get visas, if you get job offers, if you book flights, you still have the right to turn it all down if you don't want to go when the time comes.

Thanks for your response, the sense of loss of control is a factor as we could end up worse off, if we could secure jobs now and know salarys that would make a big difference. My job as a social worker looks like less pay and means I may end up having to work full time, which with children is not something I want to have to be forced to do to survive.

Hopefully I will know either way after my visit in March.

Thanks again :)

M

Many thanks for your response, we both agree that as exciting Oz looks and we hear on programs like wanted down under we cant wear rose tinted glasses. The pros and cons list is a good idea and we will do this, we have done a mental one but one written will make it clearer. Since my post we have looked at Adelaide where we wanted to settle and its high unemployment :( I am visiting in March and I guess I will know for sure by then.

Do, please, take Wanted Down Under with a big pinch of salt! For instance, you may have noticed that families are being shown houses on the Sunshine Coast and then the main breadwinner is looking at jobs in Brisbane. I was so perplexed by this that I started this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/244053-do-people-commute-sunshine-coast-brisbane.html

....from which you can see that no Australian in their right mind would plan to do that. The reality is, of course, that if they'd shown those families the houses they could afford in Brisbane itself, they would've been disappointed in either the areas or the houses.

Adelaide housing is more reasonably priced than most and personally, I have a real soft spot for the city. It's so compact yet it has all the amenities you could want. Unfortunately it's small size and lack of industry does make employment more of a challenge - and one of my friends, who tried to settle there, felt it was a real "who you know" culture (but to be fair, that was only her opinion).

Check out realestate.com.au or domain.com.au to get an idea of house prices and bear in mind that estate agents in Australia use fish-eye lenses to make rooms look much bigger, and some even photoshop the images.

I came back to the UK early 2015 to be with my elderly mother after being in Australia for 35 years. Unfortunately after a long and healthy life my Mother had a bad fall and passed away very suddenly 4 months ago. I have no regrets about coming back to spend this time with her, but I will be returning to Australia in 2016. My dog came too, so he's in for another adventure.

Personally, I love Australia. However, it pays to remember what someone told me when I first went to Australia in my early 20's, that Australia is a foreign country and although English is the first language, the way of life is completely different to that in the UK. Some love it and settle in for life, others can't wait to leave. Sure there are plenty of beaches and BBQ's but its not a holiday and you still have to work.

I have lived in both Brisbane and Adelaide. Brisbane is sub-tropical, great beaches, hardly any Winter and can be very humid at times. Property can be expensive the nearer to the City you get, but as someone already mentioned, real-estate.com is a good way to start looking. Adelaide is a lovely City with a lot of parklands. Very easy to drive around. Climate is more seasonal with hot Summers and cold Winters (not as cold as UK though, as days can be quite sunny). It has been referred to as a big country town, but the folks are friendly and the houses a bit cheaper.

I wish you all the very best in your decision and hope you decide to give it a go!

At point of signing up with an agency and applying for my English exam and skills assessment and now the reality hits home.

Is this right for us all moving from family?

What if this is the biggest mistake would cost us financially?

What if worse off financially how would we be happier and stuck unable to return (we know average wage but haven't yet secured jobs as so early into process)

Then when we talk about staying in the UK I fell disappointed and worry for our childrens futures here and we ask our selves what if moving is the best thing we ever did!

Anyone else experience this?

Feeling confused!

Agree with all that has been said. Australia is my home and I love it to bits, but there is a price to pay for emigration. Ask why you want to go, and ask if you can make changes to achieve that in the UK. The UK has its problems, but it certainly has a future.

Do, please, take Wanted Down Under with a big pinch of salt! For instance, you may have noticed that families are being shown houses on the Sunshine Coast and then the main breadwinner is looking at jobs in Brisbane. I was so perplexed by this that I started this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/244053-do-people-commute-sunshine-coast-brisbane.html

....from which you can see that no Australian in their right mind would plan to do that. The reality is, of course, that if they'd shown those families the houses they could afford in Brisbane itself, they would've been disappointed in either the areas or the houses.

Adelaide housing is more reasonably priced than most and personally, I have a real soft spot for the city. It's so compact yet it has all the amenities you could want. Unfortunately it's small size and lack of industry does make employment more of a challenge - and one of my friends, who tried to settle there, felt it was a real "who you know" culture (but to be fair, that was only her opinion).

Check out realestate.com.au or domain.com.au to get an idea of house prices and bear in mind that estate agents in Australia use fish-eye lenses to make rooms look much bigger, and some even photoshop the images.

Many thanks, I will have a look at that thread to.

We have discussed starting the process and then going out to activate visa then coming back and moving when we can secure work, don't want to move with out work lined up.

I lose 10 points next jan due to my age which takes me to 60 points, this is the factor of maybe starting now as would need to get 20 points in English exam.

So excited at the thought of going its jus the risk of ending up not settling and the financial cost

but I guess some would same you never know if you don't try it!

I came back to the UK early 2015 to be with my elderly mother after being in Australia for 35 years. Unfortunately after a long and healthy life my Mother had a bad fall and passed away very suddenly 4 months ago. I have no regrets about coming back to spend this time with her, but I will be returning to Australia in 2016. My dog came too, so he's in for another adventure.

Personally, I love Australia. However, it pays to remember what someone told me when I first went to Australia in my early 20's, that Australia is a foreign country and although English is the first language, the way of life is completely different to that in the UK. Some love it and settle in for life, others can't wait to leave. Sure there are plenty of beaches and BBQ's but its not a holiday and you still have to work.

I have lived in both Brisbane and Adelaide. Brisbane is sub-tropical, great beaches, hardly any Winter and can be very humid at times. Property can be expensive the nearer to the City you get, but as someone already mentioned, real-estate.com is a good way to start looking. Adelaide is a lovely City with a lot of parklands. Very easy to drive around. Climate is more seasonal with hot Summers and cold Winters (not as cold as UK though, as days can be quite sunny). It has been referred to as a big country town, but the folks are friendly and the houses a bit cheaper.

I wish you all the very best in your decision and hope you decide to give it a go!

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to read of your loss.

Adelaide looks lovely but we have to go where we can get work. Brisbane looks a bit easier on the work front. I was planning to come over on my own but we have considered us all going to get a feel for life there.

Thanks again

What is it about your children's futures that you think Australia will change?

I have a concern that that you may not be seeing Australia in the correct way in this regard. We have all the same issues and worries here from my experience.

As as for the economics. It is a good idea to think and research this carefully. Not everyone will make the move and find they are better off and a significant number will find they are worse off. About a third of Brits who make the move end up leaving, though I suspect that figure has jumped a lot recently with the economic issues in oz. you will need to research carefully this aspect as it will vary for all.

Maybe perversely I think the best time to come is when Britain is doing well and Australia in a downturn comparatively speaking.

The reason of course is the exchange rate.

I think people who do well are those that sell up in UK and exchange their savings and equity at a rate of 2 dollars or more to the pound. $2.50 or more if really lucky.

Having a lot of dollars to start with can make a big difference.

Some multiply the benefit and return to the UK years down the track when Australia is in an upturn and Britain in a downturn.

I think the initial exchange rate can be a big factor to the success of anyone's move.

I am sorry to say this but when people cite their children's future prospects as a reason they are probably deluding themselves.

We came for US, it was what we wanted. Our daughter (then 11) really did not want to come at all. Because of this we have made effort to make sure she has as many opportunities as possible here so that she is no worse off by the move. She has settled in quickly and well and is loving it here every bit as much as she loved living in England which is a relief.

I think there is nothing wrong doing the move because you both want to. I hold the view that if the parents are happy and settled the kids will be too whether that is Australia or the UK.

Maybe perversely I think the best time to come is when Britain is doing well and Australia in a downturn comparatively speaking.

The reason of course is the exchange rate.

I think people who do well are those that sell up in UK and exchange their savings and equity at a rate of 2 dollars or more to the pound. $2.50 or more if really lucky.

Having a lot of dollars to start with can make a big difference.

Some multiply the benefit and return to the UK years down the track when Australia is in an upturn and Britain in a downturn.

I think the initial exchange rate can be a big factor to the success of anyone's move.

Sounds good in theory parley but in reality I cannot see the majority of folk doing it like that, one cannot predict with any certainty when or how much the exchange rate or economy will change to match in with your move. One may apply for a visa when things are good but approval and movement date could be months/years down the line and how would things have changed by then?

You cant really know what life.will be like for your children in the future. Mine are really young. I have no clue what the economy will be like in either country when they are job hunting, what uni fees will be if they want to go, whether the healthcare system will look after them, whether the schools will be well funded or teaching standards are good. I just hope they are happy. I hope a childhood in Aus with happier parents makes them happy. If not I guess they can always come back as dual citizens if life/ work opportunities look better in the UK for them.

Archived