Am I being unreasonable? Looking for certainty in uncertain times!!

MattC

Before I start, thoughts go out to those that have lost there homes in the fires down South today, there is always someone worse off and can't think of anything worse than at the start of the year to lose everything.

Now, I am a little tired and feeling a bit philosophical, however I need another view point.

Lost my job in October, been hanging on in there and now on Centrelink. I am a citizen of Australia and have a property here.

Seems to me the way the economy here in Australia the future isn't very rosy here and I have to look for alternatives.

I have tried to get work in Australia in other parts and the other option is too head back to the UK and to be honest I can't see myself going back and working.

Question is, do I go back to the UK without the prospect of work and rent my unit out here. Or do I hang on until I get a job offer wherever that may be and then head off??

There must be other people in a similar boat?!! Loving my life out here, but some days I do wonder why I keep hanging on in there!!

Work really has nothing to do with it. Can you pay your bills here? Can you survive till better times? Do those same questions arise if you were back in the UK. Life's too short............it all boils down to where you think you belong......end of. No excuses about the economy/jobs/prospects.................it's an affair of the heart..............wherever you may be, and no matter how hard it is to be there, it's about where you want to be, and when you can get a handle on that, the rest is easier to solve.............easier, but not easy...........and even sometimes when you get a handle on it, it isn't achievable so you make the best of a bad job. .good luck...........

Edited by Johndoe

If you would rather stay here what is the point in going back to nothing. Nowhere to live, no job, you would not get benefits for months. At least here you have a place to live and Centrelink. Why would the UK be any better, there may be some jobs, but it depends on what you do and where you live.

If you would rather stay here what is the point in going back to nothing. Nowhere to live, no job, you would not get benefits for months. At least here you have a place to live and Centrelink. Why would the UK be any better, there may be some jobs, but it depends on what you do and where you live.

I fully agree, the using " I cant get work etc" is an excuse, prior to moving to Aus, I had a good job, here it meant nothing ... I tried car salesman,Debt collector, and yard hand .. then got my present job, driving a train in Sydney ... on very good money. obviously some work is beneath some .... look on jobs nsw or any government job website there are plenty of jobs.

It is in no way a dig at you personally, I however think if you do desire to go back do it ... you can always come back!

Before I start, thoughts go out to those that have lost there homes in the fires down South today, there is always someone worse off and can't think of anything worse than at the start of the year to lose everything.

Now, I am a little tired and feeling a bit philosophical, however I need another view point.

Lost my job in October, been hanging on in there and now on Centrelink. I am a citizen of Australia and have a property here.

Seems to me the way the economy here in Australia the future isn't very rosy here and I have to look for alternatives.

I have tried to get work in Australia in other parts and the other option is too head back to the UK and to be honest I can't see myself going back and working.

Question is, do I go back to the UK without the prospect of work and rent my unit out here. Or do I hang on until I get a job offer wherever that may be and then head off??

There must be other people in a similar boat?!! Loving my life out here, but some days I do wonder why I keep hanging on in there!!

I think go where the job is and hold tight until you do. Can you sublet a room, do anything else to cut costs?

It's pretty hard to be out of work, not just financially but emotionally as well - saps your energy - I had a few months out of work a couple of years back and although we got by financially it wasn't an easy time, and I got pretty depressed at having little to do all day bar go to the gym, library , chat to the cat, do the housework and apply for jobs! Applied for so many roles, (took about 2 days over each application), was consistently commended for the quality of my applications but got no-where - I applied for things at all levels, stuff I could do standing on my feet as well as challenging positions - and nothing!

I decided to go to the UK, initially for a few weeks which turned into 5 months as I was offered an IT contract from a previous boss..... This re-energised me and gave me a greater level of confidence in applying for jobs when I got back. Personally the UK work place suits me better as there is greater demand for my skill base..... You have to go where you think there is a better chance of work - Why do you think there are no jobs for you in the UK? Of course if it is true (and I would be surprised), you'd be better off here as you have some financial safety net with Centerlink. Agree with poster re: sub-letting room - or even airb&b if you don't want anything long term.... I do think for skilled people that getting unskilled or junior roles is much harder than it appears. When I was out of work I went for anything and frequently got told 'too senior' 'too much experience' . Minimum wage jobs just want youngsters due to pay rates. Personally I missed the rewards and camaraderie of working almost more than the $.

You're not being unreasonable Matt, being out of work and not having an income that you are used to is worrying and can cause us to panic. If you are happy in Australia don't return to the UK.

Is there any voluntary work that you can do in the meantime during some spare time? This will keep you busy, keep your skills up to date (or indeed learn some new ones), you will have company of other people, may make new friends, all whilst doing something worthwhile along the way. The contacts that you make may also lead to some paid employment further down the line if people see that you are reliable and a hard worker. That's how I found paid work when I was in Oz. The CEO of a company saw that I was reliable and a hard worker via my voluntary work and offered me a job.