Visiting UK - Aus passport

Isabelj28

Hi everyone, I arrived 4.5years ago on the dreaded 457, since obtaining PR and now have a citizenship ceremony scheduled on 26 Jan. It has been a long hard road and I am grateful to those on here who provided advice and support.

Anyhoo, once I get my Aus passport, I need to travel in and out of Aus on that, as my visa is no longer valid? What happens when I go into the UK on my Aus passport, how will they know I'm a citizen and don't need a visa? Very confused! Any advice greatfully received...

Yes, I will continue to have my British citizenship, but I thought that when you book airline tickets, you give a passport number, so I would give my Australian passport number. But then won't uk immigration expect me to arrive on that, as they are given traveller details by the airline?

Immigration in the UK won't care what passport you boarded the plane on. My kids have been travelling between the two countries for years with two passports and always board on the Australian passport and enter the UK on the UK one. My OH has done the same the last two times we travelled as well. And the most recent trip from Oz to the UK was a week ago.

Immigration in the UK won't care what passport you boarded the plane on. My kids have been travelling between the two countries for years with two passports and always board on the Australian passport and enter the UK on the UK one. My OH has done the same the last two times we travelled as well. And the most recent trip from Oz to the UK was a week ago.

Thank you Nic F. That's helpful to know. Though I do wonder why we have to provide passport details when booking flights if immigration don't even care!?!?

Thank you Nic F. That's helpful to know. Though I do wonder why we have to provide passport details when booking flights if immigration don't even care!?!?

Some airlines request it so they can run you through the "no fly" list.

However I've been booking flights between the UK and Oz for 20 years and never given my passport number when booking.

Enter and leave Oz on your Australian one, enter and leave the UK on the UK one. BUT you will need to show your Australian one at check in in the UK (not immigration, just check-in) so that they can see you have the right to enter Australia (as you no longer have a visa)

Some airlines request it so they can run you through the "no fly" list.

However I've been booking flights between the UK and Oz for 20 years and never given my passport number when booking.

Enter and leave Oz on your Australian one, enter and leave the UK on the UK one. BUT you will need to show your Australian one at check in in the UK (not immigration, just check-in) so that they can see you have the right to enter Australia (as you no longer have a visa)

Its nothing to do with airlines, it's certain countries that require it, it's called advanced passenger information;

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/help-apis/global/en

We aren't really answering his question - if he doesn't take his UK passport, or lets it expire, and arrives in the UK on his Aus passport, how will UK border staff know he is a UK citizen? As far as I know there is no obligation for UK citizens to arrive/leave the UK on a UK passport, as there is here.

We aren't really answering his question - if he doesn't take his UK passport, or lets it expire, and arrives in the UK on his Aus passport, how will UK border staff know he is a UK citizen? As far as I know there is no obligation for UK citizens to arrive/leave the UK on a UK passport, as there is here.

They won't know he's a British citizen. If he turns up with only an Australian passport he'll be processed as an Australian and automatically given permission to stay for 6 months - same as any other Australian. No visa required.

If you are British and arrive on an Australian passport, you would be stamped in as an Australian and get a six month stay, no work stamp in your Australian passport. There is no visa requirement for Australians entering the UK.

Once in the UK, you are a citizen and can do whatever you like, regardless of having entered the UK on an Australian passport and regardless of what the stamp says in your Australian passport. If anyone asks you to prove you are a UK citizen, you could show a birth certificate, you could show a UK passport or you could just shrug your shoulders and ask why you should have to in your UK accent. Besides - how often did you ever have to prove your nationality when you lived in the UK?

Its nothing to do with airlines, it's certain countries that require it, it's called advanced passenger information;

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/help-apis/global/en

Qantas do not hiold my passport i fo, nor have they asked for it at any time in the last 20 years when i have been travelling backwards and forwRds. The US require it. others aren't so anal! The only airlinethat has ever had my passport details was easykrap, when flying between the UK and Spain.

There is no requirement for Uk citizens to enter on a UK passport.

Ok, so firstly, I'm a she not a he... Thought the username Isabelj28 might have given that away but never mind :wink:

second, I do have a current UK passport and intend to keep it current, my concern was with the legitimacy of arriving at passport control in UK on a different passport to that which I gave the airline as my understanding was the airlines passed that onto the U.K. Authorities. But from the responses I received it would appear that this would be OK.

Qantas do not hiold my passport i fo, nor have they asked for it at any time in the last 20 years when i have been travelling backwards and forwRds. The US require it. others aren't so anal! The only airlinethat has ever had my passport details was easykrap, when flying between the UK and Spain.

So you have never had to hand your passport over at the check-in desk? I have every time I have flown international.

Ok, so firstly, I'm a she not a he... Thought the username Isabelj28 might have given that away but never mind :wink:

second, I do have a current UK passport and intend to keep it current, my concern was with the legitimacy of arriving at passport control in UK on a different passport to that which I gave the airline as my understanding was the airlines passed that onto the U.K. Authorities. But from the responses I received it would appear that this would be OK.

When we flew to the U.K last year I gave my Australian passport number on the booking, by the time we got to the airport months later I had forgotten which passport I had quoted and showed a my British one at check in, the agent pointed it out and I offered to get the Aussie passport out but she said no problem and just changed the passport details on the system there and then.

Yep, we fly out/in of Aus on Aus passport, in to UK on British, but this is dependent on the queue at passport control, then out of UK on Aus passport ( you have to prove validity to enter Australia to airline)

Its not just the US, it's a whole host of countries, including UK. So Qantas/other carriers must have your details somewhere as they have to provide to the government in advance, or you may not be allowed to check in.

see further info here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Passenger_Information_System

Its not just the US, it's a whole host of countries, including UK. So Qantas/other carriers must have your details somewhere as they have to provide to the government in advance, or you may not be allowed to check in.

see further info here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Passenger_Information_System

Well all i can say is that i fly Qantas every time and I have ever given them my passport details.either Uk or Ozzie. I've renewed both passports over the years and never been stopped or questioned. I don't have any Ozzie friends who who've been asked to provide the info either.And its on =e reason why I don't transit the US. But perhaps I'm just lucky? Who knows....just sharing my experiences, thats all.

Edited by Nemesis

Unless he is entering the UK permanently he can enter on an Australian passport - he doesn't need to be a British citizen to enter the UK and Australian passport holders do not need a visa for holidays.

Unlike Australia where an Australian passport is needed British citizens do not need a British passport to leave the UK.

Well all i can say is that i fly Qantas every time and I have ever given them my passport details.either Uk or Ozzie. I've renewed both passports over the years and never been stopped or questioned. I don't have any Ozzie friends who who've been asked to provide the info either.And its on =e reason why I don't transit the US. But perhaps I'm just lucky? Who knows....just sharing my experiences, thats all.

They take your passport details at check-in when you hand over your passport, so they then have your passport details....Yes? and you gave it to them......yes?

They take your passport details at check-in when you hand over your passport, so they then have your passport details....Yes? and you gave it to them......yes?

My point was whenever i book my flights I am not asked to provide details of which passport I am flying on. I have booked online for years and Qantas do not ask for details of the passport I will be using.

Details provided at check in are completely different to API details which have to be entered (for example for the US) for each flight when booking. The whole point of API is that the yanks want to run the passport details through their numerous systems so that by the time you check in they have checked up on you.

There is no requirement at present in either Aus or the Uk to do this kind of check.

Edited by Nemesis