What i love about living in Australia...

PommyPaul

disclaimer.... not everyone will like the same things :tongue:

I love being away from the crowds, i love posting on the local radios fb and getting my song played out, i love being a jack of all trades/bush mechanic and it being one of the most respected professions, i love roos, i love the utterly scorched fly ridden openness.....

What do you love?

I love that it feels that we afforded our children a little of the carefree type childhood that we experienced. I love that I feel content and still marvel sitting in my garden and feeling like i'm on holiday. I love that we use our outdoor area throughout the year. I love WA's open spaces and the fact that its the least populated state

I love that you can get out into the bush and be totally alone with the birds and wild animals even though the city is only an hour away

I Love the cafe culture of Melbourne and all the little laneways and arcades that are packed with great eateries.

I love the weather- very hot and very cold, like the cosy fires in Winter and the stinking heat in Summer.

I love the rate things grow- 2 growing seasons and trees grow so big in just 5 years.

I love the attitude and respect people have for tradies and anyone who works hard for a crust.

I love the confidence that young ones have and the lack of any false modesty

I love the birds- fantastic. I was walking across the bridge at Southbank yesterday and a flock of Eastern rosellas flew by - right in the middle of the city. Wow.

I love my journey to work every morning, seeing the sun rise revealling the mountains.

I love the shouting birds outside my window every morning.

I love my day at work with enthusiastic and open colleagues

I love that within a day of arrival a stranger offered to lend me his ute.

I love that my boys (7and9) are already excited about high school and have flourished here in such a short space of time.

I love that I can cycle into the mountains in minutes.

I love that the local children are still very much children

I love that I have been made to feel welcome by everyone I meet

I love feeling settled already

Basically I love it here and frequently find myself smiling at the smallest little things :-)

Brunch, the confidence and self belief that people have without feeling the need to apologise, the mix of different nationalities and cultures, the variety of food and the quality, the friendliness and warmth of people in the cities and in regional areas, the sunshine, being able to go for a walk and seeing people of all ages out and about doing the same, the variety, being able to live in place with all the benefits of a city without any of the negatives.

I love the space, in the house, in the street, in the suburb even on the beach.

Peace and quiet.

Location, the bush over our back fence, the ocean a 20 minute walk away. A gorgeous sea side town a 10 minute drive away, a lovely City a 45 minute drive away.

The weather......c'mon, absolutely spectacular for 90% of the year.

Lack of snobbery, a lowely tradie can earn as much as a heart surgeon. I know some high earners in the UK come over and really aren't happy about that!

The complete atmosphere of giving you a "fair go" despite some pretty disrespectful people who have come before and after you don't all get tarred with the same brush.

The multicultural atmosphere everywhere you go in every street in every suburb.

I love the country. It's gobsmackingingly awesome vastness and age and rustic atmosphere and hot and heavy saturated light. The cities easy to live in and enjoy. I love the freshness and cleanliness. I love the glow in people. I love the get-on-with-the job-mentality, but lend-a-hand to get things done. I love the simplicity and good sense I see around me. The ease. I love the fact it feels welcoming and comfy like a pair of pyjamas. Australia is a country I have always been able to rely on and it has never let me down. It has let me be who I want to be and not who I "have" to be.

It's basically every nation under the sun running amok in the sun. Sharing in each other's cultures and views and mixing together on an ancient rock in a vast ocean.

I love the fact that I wake up each day knowing it was the best move I ever made ..and each day on the school run I love the fact that each morning my kids are up and raring to go and I can drop then off right outside their school with a big sloppy kiss . No need to park up

disclaimer.... not everyone will like the same things :tongue:

I love being away from the crowds, i love posting on the local radios fb and getting my song played out, i love being a jack of all trades/bush mechanic and it being one of the most respected professions, i love roos, i love the utterly scorched fly ridden openness.....

What do you love?

I Googled Moree. I don't think I've been there, though I've been to places not too far away (by English standards!) Cunnumulla and Goondiwindi. I saw them on a sign post on one of the photographs. I've not been out to the country/Outback for a few years. I guess Moree is classed as 'Outback' rather than 'country?' I had a look at the train services too, every Saturday, eight hours plus. It's a different world compared to Sydney? I did a trip staying at Boggabri, Lighting Ridge, St George. amongst other towns and it's about time I did another.

I don't actually know what I specifically like about living in Australia. I guess I just 'live' here and I don't compare Sydney to anywhere else because I don't need to. I've no desire or intention of moving anywhere else, but who knows?

I Googled Moree. I don't think I've been there, though I've been to places not too far away (by English standards!) Cunnumulla and Goondiwindi. I saw them on a sign post on one of the photographs. I've not been out to the country/Outback for a few years. I guess Moree is classed as 'Outback' rather than 'country?' I had a look at the train services too, every Saturday, eight hours plus. It's a different world compared to Sydney? I did a trip staying at Boggabri, Lighting Ridge, St George. amongst other towns and it's about time I did another.

I don't actually know what I specifically like about living in Australia. I guess I just 'live' here and I don't compare Sydney to anywhere else because I don't need to. I've no desire or intention of moving anywhere else, but who knows?

I think the NSW Govt only class places west of Mungindi as outback.

I love:

- the diversity of the country, weather, wildlife and people

- the opportunity to enjoy any lifestyle I want to depending on where I choose to live

- the opportunities available for those willing to have a go

- the lack of 'class' distinction and the restrictions that imposes on people elsewhere in the world

- that children appear to remain children for longer in comparison to what I have observed in other countries

- that children learn to 'think' in school and are encouraged to develop their individual talents

- that Australians, by and large, are comfortable in their own skins and have a positive self sufficient attitude

- the space (houses, roads, cities, country)

- the sky, big and bright blue in the day and a carpet of stars at night

- that in Winter I can go to the beach one day (and easily find one all to myself) and the snow the next day if I want to

- having the benefit of 4 seasons (where we live at the moment) but still have glorious sunshine most days

- the big storms when they come (as long as nobody gets hurt)

- the smell of the bush on a hot day or after a storm

- that I can go on amazing and different holidays without leaving the country

- that when I do go overseas it is all still here waiting for me :)

I could go on for hours but I need to make a cup of coffee - that reminds me - I love the great coffee!

it's abit of a border between country and outback in moree i reckon, it has a kfc, maccers, coles and woolies so probably the last big town if you headed west from here :)

For Brisbane:

Cafe culture

Variety of cuisine

Holidays on doorstep

Sunny mornings are a great start to the day

Micro breweries

More family friendly at sports

Public bbqs

Walking along the river

No stress lifestyle

Easy commute

Disposable income

it's abit of a border between country and outback in moree i reckon, it has a kfc, maccers, coles and woolies so probably the last big town if you headed west from here :)

I remember driving from Walgett to Lightning Ridge thru the night, seeing maybe four other cars, yet emerging into the light and bustle of a proper little town, room in motel, dinner in club.

Moree sounds like it has more facilities than towns like Walgett, Wilcannia, Boggabri? I like going to those towns though.

Five years ago, I turned my car down Princes Highway from Sydney and did not turn east till I reached Port Pirie, then I went to Broken Hill and into southern QLD via Bourke three weeks to I was back in Sydney

I remember driving from Walgett to Lightning Ridge thru the night, seeing maybe four other cars, yet emerging into the light and bustle of a proper little town, room in motel, dinner in club.

Moree sounds like it has more facilities than towns like Walgett, Wilcannia, Boggabri? I like going to those towns though.

Five years ago, I turned my car down Princes Highway from Sydney and did not turn east till I reached Port Pirie, then I went to Broken Hill and into southern QLD via Bourke three weeks to I was back in Sydney

it's a pretty good town :) does have a bit of a bad reputation for crime though, is just right for me though :)

I love being away from the crowds, i love posting on the local radios fb and getting my song played out, i love being a jack of all trades/bush mechanic and it being one of the most respected professions, i love roos, i love the utterly scorched fly ridden openness....

I love all of that too....except the fly bit.

I have so perfected the Aussie wave since being here!

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror

The wide brown land for me!

I love waking up to the sound of laughing kookaburras

I love seeing wallabies hopping around in suburbia

I love the variety of exotic looking birds in the garden – lorikeets, parrots, cockatoos, honeyeaters, rosellas and galahs. It is like being in the bird pavilion at London Zoo!

I love taking a quite Sunday afternoon drive and seeing mobs of kangaroos bounding across the paddocks

In summer I love the feeling of constantly being on a carefree holiday; even though I am not.

I love walking along the beaches and seeing dolphins frolicking with the surfers.

I love being on a deserted beach watching the sun rise or set

I love travelling in the outback and going “bush”.

I love Aussie slang: Don’t come the raw prawn with me mate!

I love outback poetry, books and ballads.

I love the unofficial national anthems and come quite emotional when singing them: I Still Call Australia Home or Waltzing Matilda (just as I love the unofficial British national anthem: Land of Hope and Glory)

I love my train trip to work in summer, with the sun shining on the Opera House and watching the yachts glittering on the harbour – great vibe and a wonderful uplifting start to the day

I love I can go skiing in winter and play in the snow if I want to

I love that in Sydney I am within easy drive of so many things: national parks, rivers, sea, deserted or crowded beaches, mountains, walks, bush, forests, city, wineries, bars, cafes, restaurants, history, museums and even snowfields

I love the free ocean natural rock swimming pools

I love the laidback attitude: “She'll be right mate”

I love the rainforests

I love finding thermal pools in the NT

I love finding Aboriginal rock art engravings hidden in caves

I love waking up to the smell of frangipanis growing outside my bedroom window

I love the boutique reserve wines especially from the Margret River area.

Archived