Cats - The debate can rage on here

Alaska

That's life, is it? So you're quite happy for your cat and thousands of others to kill endangered wildlife for fun, because "that's life". Words fail me.

Look at the poster, it comes as absolutely no surprise to me at all they would make a comment like that. No respect at all for the wildlife in a country they claim to love.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree. Humans are by far and away the worst offenders. But this was a thread about cats, so never really got into the humans being crap and destroying the planet, its resources and other lifeforms. And being as we are, leaving it in a far worse state for future generations.

I don't think cats are evil. I rather like them. But as we domesticated them, I think we should be more responsible in our approach to keeping them. We have the knowledge and understanding of what we are doing now but don't seem to want to change much in practice.

I also agree but we might as well say that because we are the worst then we might as well just ignore everything under us.

Finally, I just want to add my thoughts to the following comment:

The question is, why do you keep a cat? For the selfish pleasure of having a sweet furry animal for company. Is your selfish pleasure worth the death of even one native animal?

This is a spurious argument, as humans also play a very important part in the destruction of native animals.

That's true - but it's a case of "two wrongs don't make a right". We are already doing so much to destroy the environment, why make it worse for no good reason?

I should point out, I have NO PROBLEM with responsible cat owners like yourself. I have an issue with owners who deny cats are a risk to wildlife, or who (like another poster) says things like "I'm happy for my cat to kill rats and mice and if they kill other wildlife, that's life."

It's the owners who are always the problem, not the cats.

Edited by Marisawright

So you're quite happy for your cat and thousands of others to kill endangered wildlife for fun, because "that's life".

I don't support the "that's life" philosophy to the destruction of wildlife...but I do find this single minded attack on cats hypocritical and nauseating.

It's been estimated that nearly 250,000 roadkill deaths a year result from HUMANS in cars in New South Wales alone. In Tasmania they are estimating the toll may be double that.

Those 2 states account for one third the population of Oz....so extrapolating that to the rest of the country, the total roadkill toll from humans may be around 2 million animals annually.

That's without mentioning all the other ways humans are destroying wildlife in Australia. We are just as culpable as cats...in fact more so: we know better....they don't.

I think litter trays are great. I only wish all cats would use them or be confined within their owners land to use them. Not free to roam into other peoples homes and gardens and crap there.

I don't appreciate cat poo in my garden where kids or adults could come into contact with it (or long after it has itself gone) and suffer potential illness because of it. Wild rodents we cannot control in such a way but a cat can be confined to someones home or their garden. Why should I have to clean up my neighbours cat crap from my flower beds or plant pots or lawn.

You just reminded me to check 'Panda's litter tray. I agreed to look after Panda when my neighbours had to move at short notice. I'm not sure if they are going to take her back. They gave me her litter tray which I've put in my laundry and I know she does use it sometimes because I've had to clear it out, but I know she must be 'going' somewhere else too. I know how vile, no, 'V.I.L.E.' that cat poo is, worse than dog poo, but I don't know how to make her use the litter all the time. I am always responsible when I walk my brother's dogs, always on the lead, and always picking up their poo.

My neighbours have always let her roam so she's used to going outside otherwise I would keep her indoors all the time. I know too that she gives a lot of pleasure and company to some of my neighbours as I never see her all day. Actually, I have got to know some of my neighbours through having Panda.

I've bought her a collar with a bell and my telephone number. I obsess about which food to buy her. She turns her nose up at expensive tins and then eats something cheap. I throw away one tin for every one that she eats. I never thought of myself as a 'cat' person, but perhaps I've changed, although I will never be one to 'coo' over her, the way I see some dog owners in the parks!

Edited by MARYROSE02

That's without mentioning all the other ways humans are destroying wildlife in Australia. We are just as culpable as cats...in fact more so: we know better....they don't.

Yes, exactly. I am NOT attacking cats. I'm saying it behoves US as the cats' owners to do the right thing. If you're not willing to put the appropriate measures in place, don't have a cat.

I don't support the "that's life" philosophy to the destruction of wildlife...but I do find this single minded attack on cats hypocritical and nauseating.

It's been estimated that nearly 250,000 roadkill deaths a year result from HUMANS in cars in New South Wales alone. In Tasmania they are estimating the toll may be double that.

Those 2 states account for one third the population of Oz....so extrapolating that to the rest of the country, the total roadkill toll from humans may be around 2 million animals annually.

Actually the fact that humans kill wild life too is irrelevant and does not excuse the numbers killed by domestic and feral cats. You may as well excuse the numbers killed by humans by referring to the numbers killed by cats.

Both are wrong, and both should be condemned.

Actually the fact that humans kill wild life too is irrelevant and does not excuse the numbers killed by domestic and feral cats. You may as well excuse the numbers killed by humans by referring to the numbers killed by cats.

Both are wrong, and both should be condemned.

Exactly. It's almost making it sound as though because one is worse the other doesn't matter. If there was a way to stop native wildlife being run over on the road it would be fantastic BUT there is a way to stop cats decimating the wildlife, that is to take responsibility, stop sticking your head in the sand or just accepting it was normal behaviour and do the right thing.

In reality, we should be trying to reduce both 'crimes.' I bought a collar for Panda which has both a bell, to hopefully reduce the chance of her killing wildlife, and a luminous strip, hopefully to reduce her chances of being knocked over.

Imagine too is someone DID knock her over, and said "so what? Cats kill wildlife, so it's not wrong what I did." is that a valid excuse?

In reality, we should be trying to reduce both 'crimes.' I bought a collar for Panda which has both a bell, to hopefully reduce the chance of her killing wildlife, and a luminous strip, hopefully to reduce her chances of being knocked over.

Imagine too is someone DID knock her over, and said "so what? Cats kill wildlife, so it's not wrong what I did." is that a valid excuse?

Bells are totally useless, they don't make it any safer for wildlife unfortunately.

I have run over and killed 2 cats in my life, I didn't smile or pat myself on the back but I did think afterwards that at least some wildlife should live a bit longer. I'm not really bothered whether someone thinks I am callous or insensitive, I just value native wildlife over a cat.

Bells are totally useless, they don't make it any safer for wildlife unfortunately.

I have run over and killed 2 cats in my life, I didn't smile or pat myself on the back but I did think afterwards that at least some wildlife should live a bit longer. I'm not really bothered whether someone thinks I am callous or insensitive, I just value native wildlife over a cat.

I hate to say it, but you are also arguing that 'two wrongs make a right.' Not all cats kill wildlife, and even if the ones that you ran over did, that is still not a justification.

It would be like a dog biting you, so the next dog you see, you kill, regardless of whether that dog had bitten you or anybody else, on the grounds that you were saving another possible victim.

Edited by MARYROSE02

I'm not trying to argue you with you but this sounds like a justifcation to me. Would you say to me, for example, if you knocked over Panda, 'Look mate, I'm sorry, I did not mean to do it, but look at this way, I've probably saved some native wildlife by killing your cat."

And remember that I agree with you about the numbers of native wildlife that cats kill and the problems it causes

"I'm not really bothered whether someone thinks I am callous or insensitive, just value native wildlife over a cat".

I'm not trying to argue you with you but this sounds like a justifcation to me. Would you say to me, for example, if you knocked over Panda, 'Look mate, I'm sorry, I did not mean to do it, but look at this way, I've probably saved some native wildlife by killing your cat."

And remember that I agree with you about the numbers of native wildlife that cats kill and the problems it causes

"I'm not really bothered whether someone thinks I am callous or insensitive, just value native wildlife over a cat".

No, there is definitely no justification. I would only have to justify it if I ran them over deliberately. :)

No, there is definitely no justification. I would only have to justify it if I ran them over deliberately. :)

Perhaps, but I would hate to hit any creature, and it would still destroy me even if it wasn't my fault. It would not matter if I was driving along at 5 kph, looking carefully to left and right, if a cat, dog, or worse a child ran out in front of me, I'd feel guilty.

That is rubbish. A cat has a natural instinct to hunt and kill pray.

It is a natural carnivore predator.

Lazy, cats are very highly strung and only need hard play so they are left panting, they will normally then eat and then sleep.....guess what that satisfies the natural hunting instinct. Letting cats out is wrong unless they are in a controlled environment ie fenced with cat proofed perimeters is wrong and as mentioned is lazy. Regarding cat rewards, give them toys and they deliver these to their owners instead of mice etc and indoor cats must have cat trees or towers as they need height to observe.

I disagree with ferral cats which are big issues in UK, Ireland etc especially in rural areas. They should be sterilised as a minimum to preserve wildlife and stop the spread of disease such as Cat Flu.

Cats plus dogs should be licenced with responsible owners only being permitted and de-sexed unless proven breeder.

My my opinions after owning 4 Siamese cats over the years.

S

Maybe I am Stacey and maybe I'm not.

I do let her out when she wants to go out that is true, but she is just doing what a cat was born to do.

Judging by the little bit of research I've just done, and the link I will paste in here, you are wrong about your cat 'just doing what a cat was born to do.' According to this information from the ASPCA, it is actually safer and healthier to keep your cat indoors, away from the risks of accidents and diseases spread by other animals and cats.

The problem for my cat is that its owners let it go out from the beginning, and I'm not sure if I can train her to stay in now. That is something I need to investigate if they do not want to take her back. I'd also feel mean because my neighbour gets a lot of pleasure from having her in her home.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/preventing-your-cat-getting-outside

It does annoy me too. Especially because can you imagine the reaction if I said "oh my staffy killed something today but it's ok because there's loads of them". I don't think parley would just wave it off like he's doing with his cat killing everything. Parley how do you know your cat only kills certain things? I love cats but it's the one thing that annoys me. Dog owners have a zillion rules to follow and if they don't they can get charged etc but cats can roam around crapping in people's gardens and killing everything. My aunts cat killed a little robin and her and my mum were upset. I was like what do you expect if you let him run around outside.

It does annoy me too. Especially because can you imagine the reaction if I said "oh my staffy killed something today but it's ok because there's loads of them". I don't think parley would just wave it off like he's doing with his cat killing everything. Parley how do you know your cat only kills certain things? I love cats but it's the one thing that annoys me. Dog owners have a zillion rules to follow and if they don't they can get charged etc but cats can roam around crapping in people's gardens and killing everything. My aunts cat killed a little robin and her and my mum were upset. I was like what do you expect if you let him run around outside.

Exactly. He has no idea what it actually kills, this belief it brings everything home is complete crap. My feeling is he is saying most of it to get a reaction, if not it is very sad. This is why I said if I see a dead cat on the road don't expect me to shed a tear.