Cats - The debate can rage on here

Alaska

It also has problems with wild dogs, wild horses (brumbies), wild camels, wild pigs and other ferals like rabbits, goats, deer, buffalo, cane toads and so on. These do as much damage as wild cats I reckon.

I have three cats. They stay indoors from 9pm to 6am and then are out all day. They have collars with bells. They catch snakes but nothing else. If we move into a highly sensitive rural area away from the suburbs, I will get them a cat run enclosure instead.

Well as long as they only eat the native protected snakes that's fine then because cats are no good for anything, it's not as if they keep rodent numbers down or anything. Good to hear you would at least do the right thing if you move but not sure why you won't do the right thing where you are now.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair I am a cat hater for a very good reason, it's the huge amount of damage they do. There is an enormous amount of evidence to back up the claims but it is up to the individual whether they believe it or just live in denial. Both domesticated and feral cats eat massive numbers of native wildlife. I'm amazed that people think it's fine to say openly that their cats roam around and they know they eat native animals. It's quite sickening. When I see a dead cat on the road I cheer because that means more native animals get to survive.

It happens wherever there are cats. World over. Its a human problem that we can't/don't want to solve as that would mean the end of the domestic pet free ranging kitty and enforcing a total no cat policy outside of a house. Impossible to enforce and the majority of the cat keeping population isn't going to change their cat keeping habits overnight or anytime soon.

I certainly appreciate in Aus in many areas there are cat curfews and other measures. That they also address feral cat problems is a good thing IMHO. I see cat proof fencing here to keep cats within peoples own gardens, cat runs and indoor cats. I hardly ever see a local tame cat around nor signs of one in our garden thankfully. In England it was one of my biggest bug bears, neighbourhood cats roaming all over and coming into our garden and elsewhere. Cat poo in the garden, catching the slo worms and other creatures. Annoying as hell. I find it quite a relief to not have that sort of thing here, at least in our street/neighbourhood. Where we were living before here was also very short in cats seen around. I only saw one or two the whole time, didn't hear them outside either.

I know people have cats here, only I'd be hard pushed to 'know' it IYKWIM. Unlike when we lived in a town in England, every other person in our street seemed to have a cat and they roamed outside of their property.

It happens wherever there are cats. World over. Its a human problem that we can't/don't want to solve as that would mean the end of the domestic pet free ranging kitty and enforcing a total no cat policy outside of a house. Impossible to enforce and the majority of the cat keeping population isn't going to change their cat keeping habits overnight or anytime soon.

I certainly appreciate in Aus in many areas there are cat curfews and other measures. That they also address feral cat problems is a good thing IMHO. I see cat proof fencing here to keep cats within peoples own gardens, cat runs and indoor cats. I hardly ever see a local tame cat around nor signs of one in our garden thankfully. In England it was one of my biggest bug bears, neighbourhood cats roaming all over and coming into our garden and elsewhere. Cat poo in the garden, catching the slo worms and other creatures. Annoying as hell. I find it quite a relief to not have that sort of thing here, at least in our street/neighbourhood. Where we were living before here was also very short in cats seen around. I only saw one or two the whole time, didn't hear them outside either.

I know people have cats here, only I'd be hard pushed to 'know' it IYKWIM. Unlike when we lived in a town in England, every other person in our street seemed to have a cat and they roamed outside of their property.

Yes it is a problem everywhere and needs sorting, too many people denying it's a problem doesn't help. We had cats all around us in Brisbane and it drove me nuts. Hopefully the snakes took a few out but not enough. Cat cufews do work to an extent but again it's not enough. There is talk of the Australian government making it law to have your cats confined 100% of the but I doubt anything will come of it. I really don't care who I piss off with this because I care very deeply about Australian native wildlife and it is sad to see the attitude of others.

To be fair I am a cat hater for a very good reason, it's the huge amount of damage they do. There is an enormous amount of evidence to back up the claims but it is up to the individual whether they believe it or just live in denial. Both domesticated and feral cats eat massive numbers of native wildlife. I'm amazed that people think it's fine to say openly that their cats roam around and they know they eat native animals. It's quite sickening. When I see a dead cat on the road I cheer because that means more native animals get to survive.

What evidence? Other than you just repeating it? The evidence is that there is plenty of wild life in Australia. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. And by the way, my cats in Australia were 100pc indoor cats, but that is beside the point. Here in the UK, they go outside during the daytime and they kill a few mice, big deal. Birds eat mice, wildlife eats wildlife, humans kill and eat wildlife.

Your comment on taking pleasure in seeing somebody else's dead pet is just disgusting. Too disgusting to discuss any further.

What evidence? Other than you just repeating it? The evidence is that there is plenty of wild life in Australia. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. And by the way, my cats in Australia were 100pc indoor cats, but that is beside the point. Here in the UK, they go outside during the daytime and they kill a few mice, big deal. Birds eat mice, wildlife eats wildlife, humans kill and eat wildlife.

Your comment on taking pleasure in seeing somebody else's dead pet is just disgusting. Too disgusting to discuss any further.

The evidence is in the links I posted and the 100s of others available, the facts are undeniable. Australia has one of the worst records of small and large mammal extinctions in the world and has a large number of threatened and endangered animals. Many of the extinctions are directly due to cats and other introduced pest species.

Yes the damage cats do to native wildlife is disgusting, it's disgusting that so many dismiss it as irrelevant.

I love cats and dogs. Not everyone has to want one or either as a pet but I deeply mistrust anyone who takes joy in seeing an animal dead or harmed. It's psychopathic and disturbing.

Oh don't be pathetic. I couldn't care less what you think of me, it is the wildlife I care about, it's a shame so few seem to share that concern.

Nothing wrong with caring about wildlife. But rejoicing in suffering and death is weird.

It's a shame it's not shared by many though. Where the hell did I say I rejoice in suffering ? It's interesting you don't seem too concerned about the people who just dismiss cats killing native wildlife though.

What evidence? Other than you just repeating it? The evidence is that there is plenty of wild life in Australia.r.

Bungo, you are usually a fund of common sense, but you're not making sense here. Are you saying that so long as there's "plenty of wildlife" in Australia, it doesn't matter what kind it is? So you'd be quite happy if a rare bandicoot died out, because there's still plenty of possums out there, so who cares?

Bungo, you are usually a fund of common sense, but you're not making sense here. Are you saying that so long as there's "plenty of wildlife" in Australia, it doesn't matter what kind it is? So you'd be quite happy if a rare bandicoot died out, because there's still plenty of possums out there, so who cares?

The problem is the rate of extinction and the ongoing decline of seemingly common species, many of these species decline is down to domesticated and feral cats. There just seems to be an overall lack of concern. We want our cats and that is the end of it.

Not many native species around in suburbia where I live anyway.

How do you know? Are you out at night in the undergrowth with an infrared scope?

Even quite large species can be around and you won't be aware of it. One of my work colleagues had no idea there were wallabies in his area until he dug up his paved yard and created a garden - then woke up the next morning to find the tops had all been eaten off the plants.

Edited by Marisawright

How do you know? Are you out at night in the undergrowth with an infrared scope?

Even quite large species can be around and you won't be aware of it. One of my work colleagues had no idea there were wallabies in his area until he dug up his paved yard and created a garden - then woke up the next morning to find the tops had all been eaten off the plants.

We lived in suburbia and there was cetainly wildlife around if you took the time to look.

Not many native species around in suburbia where I live anyway.

Possums of course, and my cat did kill one once, but they are certainly not endangered.

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about, so blasé about your cat killing a possum. You realise anima,'s don't start out being endangered don't you ?

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/19/western-ringtail-possums-endangered-status-blamed-on-feral-cats-and-foxes

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about, so blasé about your cat killing a possum. You realise anima,'s don't start out being endangered don't you ?

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/19/western-ringtail-possums-endangered-status-blamed-on-feral-cats-and-foxes

I was not blase at all.

I was very cross and gave her a very stern telling off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/11743499/Australia-declares-war-on-feral-cats-with-plan-to-cull-two-million-by-2020.html

This will be a start but a drop in the ocean overall unfortunately. It that timescale they will just repopulate. I hope this doesn't make me a psychopath because I think it's a good idea though.

Well that took longer than I thought. Cats have a huge impact here as well but not to the same degree as British wildlife have evolved along with predators.

Is there any point to your question though ?

just curious why you are more concerned about Australian wildlife than that of your own country.