What would you change about the UK ?

Parley

Blimey there's some posh people on here! Our washing machine was well and truly in the kitchen. Which measured about 6ft by 6ft I didn't know anyone with either a Laundry or even an ensuite. Although my Mum did have a downstairs toilet :laugh:

When we left nearly 8 years ago, most of our friends had laundries and ensuites - we were one of the few that didn't, but we lived in a 150 years terrace cottage.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we left nearly 8 years ago, most of our friends had laundries and ensuites - we were one of the few that didn't, but we lived in a 150 years terrace cottage.

Well we we always knew it VS. You're posh and I'm not :wink::laugh: Maybe that's why we are so happy here we could never have afforded what we have here back in the UK. You clearly could.

Well we we always knew it VS. You're posh and I'm not :wink::laugh: Maybe that's why we are so happy here we could never have afforded what we have here back in the UK. You clearly could.

i don't know many people who have them either. I know one girl who has a laundry room, ensuites, Jacuzzi, balconies etc but she built her own house.

Lol - far far from it. Our cottage was in one of the roughest parts of Leicester. Most of our friends live in modern two storey 4x2 houses in the suburbs. Nothing flash, just regular houses. They do regular jobs

Then you'll love this one. The washing machine is just poking out below the door knob on the right. We had to chop the draining board in half and remove the cupboard below to house it. The little chest freezer (rear right) is where the cold shelf/pantry used to be but we knocked it down. The cold shelf was a concretes slab projecting to the outside through the brick wall to draw in the cold. Wonderful idea in winter but not much cop in summer :-)

kitchenuk.jpg

Why do you need about 50 rolling pins ?

Lol - far far from it. Our cottage was in one of the roughest parts of Leicester. Most of our friends live in modern two storey 4x2 houses in the suburbs. Nothing flash, just regular houses. They do regular jobs

It's the north/south thing again I suppose. A 4x2 in our neck of the woods would be well over £400,000 definitely not affordable on an average wage.A normal, average house would be a 3 bed terrace around £175,000

It's the north/south thing again I suppose. A 4x2 in our neck of the woods would be well over £400,000 definitely not affordable on an average wage.A normal, average house would be a 3 bed terrace around £175,000

We sold our place to move to Oz in 2008. It had just been fully modernised - fully rewired, new plumbing, new bathroom, a new solid oak kitchen, newly decorated. 84k

Now I thought you liked a nice set of Jugs Kev? :laugh:

Not really. I'm more a botty man. You should have seen how many old chamber pots we had in the bedroom :-) Looking back, I wonder why the feck she ever wanted an ex 1930's council house in the middle of Blackpool to look like an old cottage?

As do we. We have never had a washing machine in the kitchen. Sometimes especially in a flat space is at a premium of course.

I'd say it's rare to have a separate laundry in uk houses and definitely not the norm. We have a good sized four bed detached and our washing machine is in the kitchen and tumble dryer in the garage. We do have an ensuite but it is quite a small shower and the main bathroom has the shower over the bath.

You have to cope with the weather in both country's

For me summer is not great here but spending long hours in the pool and now having installed some new air con units will make it more bearable

Same as winters in the UK easy to keep warm with central heating but the ice was always the worst and very dangerous

Either way you get by with the good and bad from both

Neither is perfect in my book

But moaning about it aint going to change it lol

Archived