My (personal) findings on the cost of living

Johndoe

Lots of debate on PIO over the years as to how expensive Oz is and how much money you need to live here. I won't go into in-depth detail of costs of items but this is what I have found since becoming of pensionable circumstances exactly a year ago.

Mortgage isn't factored in as I am mortage free, and bearing in mind that it is the biggest slice of income, it should be given due consideration.

I have two young adults living with me from whom I take no keep as they are good savers and I want them to have a decent sum behind them for when I cark it. I also have two dogs who unfortunately, can't contribute towards their upkeep :-)

I run two frdges and freezers and my electric bill is above average as is my water bill, both being attraibutable in the main to my autistic son who will spend well over 20 mins in a shower, twice a day, and sometimes 3 times a day, for therapeutic reasons.

My vehicle is a Toyota prado and running costs, Insurance, rego etc are above average

One of my son's is "pumping iron" and eats an inordinate amount of proteirn by way of fish, meat, and eggs, every day. Sometimes as much as a kilo of rump, 2 chicken breasts, and 6 eggs daily. That said, we eat meat or fish 7 days a week anyway..........no beans on toast for us :-)

We don't eat out (as in Evening meals) as my sons reckon <head swells here> "That you can make meals as good as any restaurant"

We go out most weekends driving for as much as 4 hours to and from our destinations and will have lunch out

This year I have unforseen expense such as having to buy a new washing machine and range hood, and $1500 repair to the prado (above it's normal running costs)

I have full foxtel and internet and other normal household costs such as insurances.

I have a UK pension topped up be the Australian pension giving me a weekly income averaged out of $575 a week

I have met all my commitments, lived well, buying bits and bobs for the house and garden, birthday/xmas prezzies etc, and self, and still managed to save $3500 this year

I manage quite easily because I am careful, shop around, (that's not too hard to do is it?) and buy my meat and fish in bulk, The latter being able to be bought, at half the price it is in the big chains. Toiletries are extortianate in the chains so are bought either at Aldi or the Reject shop eg dishwash tablets less than half the price. Hope this helps anybody feeling deterred by some of the figures bandied about with regards to living a decent life here.

Do you have any investment income coming in at all ?

I do think people can get by okay as pensioners as long as they have paid their home off and are debt free.

ie the pension should give anyone enough to run a car and pay the bills and go out a bit as long as they aren't too extravagant.

It won't fund holidays away but noone would expect the pension to do that.

Most people will have superannuation as well these days to fund a better lifestyle in retirement.

Do you have any investment income coming in at all ?

See above. I surrendered all my endowments bar this one (which wasn't worth bothering about at the time) to fund our migration. Glad I didn't as it pays for my weekly chateaux de cardboard box and the odd bottle of brandy :-)

Your time over money too can be a deciding factor.

Weve gone from double income to single.

so a wage less coming in..but more time for me to shop for better prices....and it is amazing what you can save if you have the time/or willing to search.

ie. car insurance, got mine down to $151 fully comp for the year, on a one year old car. Also saved on house on house ins.

Shopping: even in our little shopping mall, if I walk from Woolies at one end, picking up the bargains, then do the the independent fruit and veg shop, the butcher, red dot etc, Finishing up in Coles. I get so many bargains. You also learn at what times they reduce the price.

If your shopping place is walkable, even better. You can walk, exercise and shop for the best price.

Times are changing, you need to change the way you shop, if you have the time, the bargains are there.

Want to eat at one of Perths so called "best restaurants " C restaurant has a half price deal on groupon.

Maybe its because we went thru it in the UK , that I'm good at bargain shopping. Stock up when there is an offer on.

at least our outdoor activities here are free and plentiful:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

I really do think it depends on what area you live as well. For example up in FNQ we don't have a choice of electricity supplier and no mains gas and every time the electric bills come in the locals all share what they are paying per quarter. Up here in Cairns and Townsville the average is around $1000 a quarter and that's with solar and no pool. Most of us are acclimatised so usually only run aircon 3-4 months a year and we don't need heating. So just for electric you are looking at $83 per week. Buildings and contents insurance is another stupid amount, a lot up here can no longer afford it, a lot of insurance companies refuse to insure us. Prices come in between $10,000 - $20,000 per year, in Melbourne we paid $645 for exactly the same cover. http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle/edge-hill-homeowner-receives-14400-insurance-bill/story-fnjpuwet-1227149108059 So that's another $192 per week. So just with those two it would be $275 a week.

Comfort half price in Coles this morning 3:49 I had 12 bottles get yaself a in there lol :)

I always stock up on that when on offer.

See easy as, just buy stuff when cheap .

Once here a while, you even get to know when its due. I bought a cheap bottle of cuddle to do me last week, cos I knew comfort would be on offer this week.

it all goes in cycles .

Guest The Pom Queen
Comfort half price in Coles this morning 3:49 I had 12 bottles get yaself a in there lol :)

I am also one who does this, I love my lux shower gel so when it is half price I usually put 20 in the basket.

Same here. Always worthing scanning the end of the aisles to see something you may need next month. Usually wait for rexona specials one every blue moon and buy 10-20 bottles

Bear in mind also that the specials are different in different branches so you need to look at the catalogue, online if you wish, to see if that special is in your area. I just looked at mine and Comfort is regular price in my suburb

Bear in mind also that the specials are different in different branches so you need to look at the catalogue, online if you wish, to see if that special is in your area. I just looked at mine and Comfort is regular price in my suburb

Bet you had to google what comfort was JD.:wink: Real men don't use comfort. Good for you mate, must be tough to have to manage with 2 kids on your own, you're dooing a great job.

Bet you had to google what comfort was JD.:wink: Real men don't use comfort. Good for you mate, must be tough to have to manage with 2 kids on your own, you're dooing a great job.

Thanks Paul I wouldn't bother with the Comfort myself, but Jake likes not only the smell but the softness. Having an autistic kid yourself you'll guess how much importance they place on smells and touch. It's the one thing that I insist he buy himself due to the cost but I do check the flyers for him so he can stock up

I really do think it depends on what area you live as well. For example up in FNQ we don't have a choice of electricity supplier and no mains gas and every time the electric bills come in the locals all share what they are paying per quarter. Up here in Cairns and Townsville the average is around $1000 a quarter and that's with solar and no pool. Most of us are acclimatised so usually only run aircon 3-4 months a year and we don't need heating. So just for electric you are looking at $83 per week. Buildings and contents insurance is another stupid amount, a lot up here can no longer afford it, a lot of insurance companies refuse to insure us. Prices come in between $10,000 - $20,000 per year, in Melbourne we paid $645 for exactly the same cover. http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle/edge-hill-homeowner-receives-14400-insurance-bill/story-fnjpuwet-1227149108059 So that's another $192 per week. So just with those two it would be $275 a week.

EEEEP! that's stiff! I know with my insurance the difference between suppliers is massive; I pay about $3k through Suncorp, I've had quotes over $8k. I queried the amount and they said it's because they valued my house at some rediculous cost, I could buy two houses and lands for the same cost in the current market, but they don't care, it's *their* valuation that counts.

The Ergon monopolgy is annoying and expensive, no competativeness so we get no loyalty discounts. I have a 5.5 kW solar system, and last quarter my rebate was $6.35 as they've pretty much aboloished it apart from where they have to compete for custom.

I have a front loader.

You know you shouldn't leave towels out to long on the line in the sun. Thats when they go all stiff.

Bring them in when just barely dry.

We have 2 clothes lines one on the eastern side and one on the wicked west side so we can choose sun or shade any time of day (how about that for a mans idea?), shade more so in the summer.

We do not use conditioner with towels, it makes them a little non-absorbent, also try not to dry in full sun.