Toaster Cheaper than Loaf of Bread

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

APPARENTLY we’re about to witness the start of the “Blender Wars.”

JB Hi-Fi and Dick Smith are taking on Harvey Norman by muscling in on the world of small appliances.

JB Hi-Fi once mainly sold CDs. Now it has a whole series of HOME stores and they’re going to be “smashing prices” in the world of toasters, blenders, etc.

Retail consultant Brian Walker told Fairfax media Harvey Norman and The Good Guys “are going to respond on price and they’re going to respond on discounting and volumes, and they’re going to be very, very aggressive.”

There will be no winners in the blender wars.

Stuff is already incredibly cheap.

— A toaster ($7.50) can cost less than a loaf of locally baked bread ($7.90).

– A vacuum cleaner ($39) can be worth less than a cleaner cleaning your house ($50).

– A blender can cost $14.95 while a smoothie with goji berries can be $15.

Imagine explaining that to your grandparents. A single cup of juice can now be more expensive than a blender.

What on earth has happened to make this possible?

The answer is partly China. Partly production lines. Partly robots.

But partly the problem is we’re tired of stuff. We’re over it.

When stuff was expensive, we craved it. That’s how people’s minds work. Now, anyone can easily afford stuff? Pfft!

The less we want it the more they discount it.

Yes, people need stuff still. But they don’t want stuff. Our cupboards are full. Our kitchen drawers have no more space. We may even pay for a storage unit we really should get rid of.

When people dream of being rich, they’re not imagining buying a fridge or yet another blender. The idea that we are getting more “materialistic” might have been true in the 1990s. Not now.

Now people want to spend up big on real estate and experiences. Things like:

• Health care;

• Education;

• The footy;

• Going to see a show or a band;

• The movies;

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/blender-wars-why-sellers-of-stuff-are-stuffed/story-fnkgdftz-1227503882091

Guest The Pom Queen

I have to agree where in Australia do you pay $7.90 for a loaf of bread, we can get cheap bread for 99c or Sunblest for $2.50

Guest The Pom Queen
We do seem to live in a throw a way society.

goes against my grains...but appliances seen to bug*er up more frequently theses days. Then you look at what's out there, for cheap bucks.

cheaper to buy new, than fix in a lot of cases

This is so true, especially when it comes to printers, it works out cheaper to buy a new printer than one cartridge, I know that the cartridge you get with a new printer isn't full but it still works out more cost effective. It's terrible.

My mum went to JB for a laptop and he told her it had a life span of around 12 months and after that you would throw away and get another.

Guest The Pom Queen
Imagine how good a $39 Hoover will be! You would probably pick up more crumbs sooking them up with a straw!

Can't be any worse than KMarts crap these days, it's really gone downhill in quality, but they say sales are up because of it. To me it's like an overpriced pound shop these days.

We bought all new electrical household stuff when we moved to Tasmania. Our last fridge was nearly 30 years old and worked just fine until the last year we had it when it started to leak. The vacuum cleaner was about 20 years old and on it's last legs. The washing machine was 14 years old and was still in good order (gave it to a young neighbour). I wonder if the new appliances will last as long. I do believe you get what you pay for though.

I have to agree where in Australia do you pay $7.90 for a loaf of bread, we can get cheap bread for 99c or Sunblest for $2.50

Mine is $6.50 pop. I can easily buy bread over the $7 mark but would reframe out of common sense. Preferring rye breads, would be hard put to stomach cheaper breads which taste like cardboard to my pallet.

Big W , K-Mart etc already do the cheap and cheerful Toasters, microwaves etc TBH i bought them for a rental house a few years ago and the quality wasnt too bad, they did last a while. I bought a cheap vacuum too, (i think from Woolworths) and it was complete bobbins,lol, total rubbish that picked nothing up.

As for the bread at $7.90, where the hell do these people shop? i dont think either of our local bakerys charge that much for a nice loaf. A standard sliced tin loaf is $2.50. Tiger bread about a dollar more.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

As for the bread at $7.90, where the hell do these people shop? i dont think either of our local bakerys charge that much for a nice loaf. A standard sliced tin loaf is $2.50. Tiger bread about a dollar more.

Cal x

It seems we are the ones shopping in the wrong places as it does seem possible @calNgary :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Went through a pressure washer, hedge trimmer and lawn mower this weekend. Power washer was a cheapie but lasted ten years, leaking. Lawn mower Bosch, lasted seven years, motor moved off centre. Hedge trimmer ten years, wife cut through cable.

Replacements were all Bosch, all better models, and all about the same price as the originals. (Haven't replaced the power washer yet.)

Washing machine here in Oz is approx 4 years old and starting to fail (we are desperately hoping it clings on to life for 6 more months before we move)... In my rented house in the UK we have my father in law's old washing machine - must be about 20 years old now, still chugging along. Both mid-range brands. I hate the throwaway culture. Happy to pay a decent price for stuff if only it lasts. I often wonder about the appalling conditions that people work in for us to get goods and clothing so cheap. Tragically we are used to sweat shop prices - hence popularity of Primark etc in UK. I am an old fart but still remember saving up to buy a decent (lambswool) M&S jumper...... and if you want to buy locally produced goods then it is such a shock... I don't think many of us could countenance paying $150 for a T Shirt but I've seen Ozzie produced goods with european fabrics in that range - probably a more sensible indication of the true cost of making the goods than a $2.99 Kmart special

Edited by Chortlepuss

Washing machine here in Oz is approx 4 years old and starting to fail (we are desperately hoping it clings on to life for 6 more months before we move)... In my rented house in the UK we have my father in law's old washing machine - must be about 20 years old now, still chugging along.

They don't make things like they use to. Mother-in-Law in Australia had fridge that must have been 40 years old and still working perfectly every day.

Coles sell sliced bread for 0.99 cents a loaf.

My taste is more refined though: http://www.brasseriebread.com.au/artisan-bread-products/new-products.aspx (their hot cross buns are stunning!)

My loaf costs $7.00 from Thomas Dux - lucky I don't eat much bread.

Coles sell sliced bread for 0.99 cents a loaf.

My taste is more refined though: http://www.brasseriebread.com.au/artisan-bread-products/new-products.aspx (their hot cross buns are stunning!)

My loaf costs $7.00 from Thomas Dux - lucky I don't eat much bread.

My 14 year old bakes his own focaccia with whatever toppings you want. Lovely. Fresh bread is nice if the meal is centred around the bread. Not a fan of cheap white bread. Prefer a seeded wholemeal mix. Just find it sits better in my stomach.