Most Disadvantaged suburbs in the UK

starlight7

I think a lot is price - very cheap to get a holiday in the med. Same as here. Everyone flocks to Bali - reason is its cheap. Ozzies certainly don't need to go for the sun, but a heck of lot cheaper than holidaying in Oz - 7-10 days in Bali is cheaper than a weekend in Margaret River (though Bali is very much the Benidorm of the east). I don't think weather is a big a factor as you think. I spent two years working in a travel agents while at uni and most of our med package holiday customers didn't give a monkeys where they were going as long as the deal was cheap and the beer cheap. Again, hence Bali.

I think that those who say Med holidays are cheap are out of date. Since adopting the Euro prices in the resorts have risen substantially and it really is no longer cheap. There are plenty of cheap options in the UK but many prefer some guaranteed sunshine and warmth. Back in my old home town it is a max of 14C today brrrr. I am in Bali at the moment with plenty of Ozzies soaking up the sun and escaping the winter I guess. Do Aussies visit Bali in the summer?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that those who say Med holidays are cheap are out of date. Since adopting the Euro prices in the resorts have risen substantially and it really is no longer cheap. There are plenty of cheap options in the UK but many prefer some guaranteed sunshine and warmth. Back in my old home town it is a max of 14C today brrrr. I am in Bali at the moment with plenty of Ozzies soaking up the sun and escaping the winter I guess. Do Aussies visit Bali in the summer?

We are still astonished how cheap it is to holiday in the sun from the UK, a few 100 quid for a week in the sun if that is what appeals to you, still very cheap believe me. Yes Aussies do go to Bali in the summer.

GGS,Verystormy has covered what I was going to say.I think too,many people,mentally don't feel like they're going on holiday unless they're boarding a flight.Its the anticipation of whats to come,new horizons etc to explore.Personally I've never visited a place "just for better weather"more for the cultural appeal.

Yes same here, we have never holidayed for the sun. It just doesn't appeal to us.

Not in scotland - yet anyway! I don't holiday for the sun - I hated being shoved under a sunshade with factor 50 when I was younger lol. Got bored quickly. My last holiday was italy and we went because it was free accommodation and somewhere slightly unusual but last time I went to Italy was a really busy touring holiday. There has to be other sights for me when I go on holiday. Dedinitely not going to australia for the sun because I'll just moan about it, I admit that. Im going because there's lots of sights I want to see but I don't want to only go in winter so I'll just have to slip slap slop and deal with it lol

I suspect the same reasons people in Australia go overseas in the summer.

Not brits in Aus ...this is why we came here, beaches on our doorstep, pools in our backyard, wall to wall sunshine, no rain.

no reason to leave these sunny shores.

no need to spend a packet either, no flights, no hotels, no car hire.

boom:wink: sorted:laugh:

Not brits in Aus ...this is why we came here, beaches on our doorstep, pools in our backyard, wall to wall sunshine, no rain.

Amazingly a lot of people aren't obsessed with the weather, a lot of people like to go to foreign shores to experience adventure, a different culture, different people, different countryside. So I suspect Brits go overseas in the summer for all the same reasons as Aussies go overseas in the summer.

Amazingly a lot of people aren't obsessed with the weather, a lot of people like to go to foreign shores to experience adventure, a different culture, different people, different countryside. So I suspect Brits go overseas in the summer for all the same reasons as Aussies go overseas in the summer.

I've travelled a lot doing/see culture. Truely amazing.

Just now I like my day to day, every day to be blue skies, rather than grey.

So i dont want to fly anywhere and pay out for hotels/food etc, then I've got it all on my doorstep:laugh:

I've travelled a lot doing/see culture. Truely amazing.

Just now I like my day to day, every day to be blue skies, rather than grey.

So i dont want to fly anywhere and pay out for hotels/food etc, then I've got it all on my doorstep:laugh:

I don't think anyone would want to see grey skies every day, I can't imagine living somewhere like that.

Yes Fifi I can see where you're coming from but.....although I lived in Oz for 30 yrs,blue sky,beaches and pools weren't enough to keep me interested (personally)and I yearned to travel for cultural purposes.Now I can't imagine living back in Oz and not travelling somewhere different for holidays.I don't mind a week at home (in either country)but I know I'd get bored staying in the one country for all my holidays.

Yes Fifi I can see where you're coming from but.....although I lived in Oz for 30 yrs,blue sky,beaches and pools weren't enough to keep me interested (personally)and I yearned to travel for cultural purposes.Now I can't imagine living back in Oz and not travelling somewhere different for holidays.I don't mind a week at home (in either country)but I know I'd get bored staying in the one country for all my holidays.

Yes couldn't agree more. We have friends who go on holiday and sit by the pool all day, no thanks lol

Yes Bristolman,I know people to that are happy doing that for 2 weeks at a time lol Each to their own I guess.I don't mind the odd day on the beach or poolside but prefer to see the "real"country,and head out to far flung places,away from tourists.There was a doco type show on a couple of years ago,where people who go on holiday,oblivious to the culture & local people got to see the real country and meet the locals who had worked as cleaners at the hotel they were staying at.Seriously?Some people were bawling their eyes out,when reality hit home,and their cleaner took them back to their humble abodes.Are people really that naïve???Beggars belief.Touching on the subject,I really dislike it when people go into the locals homes and start crying because they feel "sorry"for them?Can you imagine how that makes the locals feel? I love the simplicity of how some people live on this planet and admire them tremendously.They're doing their best,and in a lot of ways are much better off than us who live in a westernised world.

There's no denying that this summer in our part of the UK has been pants and I'm really looking forward to our holiday, but the weather on its own is not enough to make me happy. The past two summers here have been glorious and we could easily have holidayed here if it had been just the sun we were after, but I've still needed to get away to experience other countries and cultures. We've chosen to go back to Croatia this year because there's so much to do there which will keep us and our young adult kids happy. A fortnight sitting on a beach anywhere in the world would bore us all rigid!

We've always lived in houses we can easily afford so there is always money available for at least two holidays a year, whether we're in the UK or Australia. We live in a beautiful part of the UK at the moment, but we still need to get away as much as possible - there's a big world out there to explore, and it wouldn't feel like a holiday if we had to stay at home.

So please explain why, when I have spent two years going through Perth international every month it is packed winter and summer with both Australians and Brits climbing on the flights to Bali?

Don't you like to visit other cultures and learn about different things? Experience different foods and sights and smells?

Oh, and you have checked the rainfall stats? Perth gets almost twice the annual rainfall of London.

Very much so - a huge amount of Australians go for Christmas. In fact the Oz summer months are the peak period. Partly of course because it is the school holidays.

Holidaying within Oz is VERY expensive. For example, you could this time of year head up to Broome for a holiday - don't even need to fly. Dry season and sunny (It is in the teens in Perth, grey and raining a lot). But, a reasonable hotel for a week with see you handover well over $1000. You can get a package deal to Bali for a fraction and the food and booze is a fraction as well.

I just had a very quick look on line at Spanish holidays for Brits and still lots of choice in the 300 pound area for a week with flights and hotels. I have a lot of friends that just look for the easyjet offers and snap something up regardless of where it is to.

Personally, we have never chosen a destination because of its weather. It has been about either going to see / experience a particular thing or because there was a very good deal to somewhere that sounded interesting - we went to Tunisia once simply because there was a fantastic offer even though it had never been on the radar of somewhere we intended to visit. But didn't spend a single day on the beach. Spent it all exploring the history.

Thing I like about Brisbane is the quick weekenders that can be had. Can get great deals at both coasts, particularly the gold coast due to its massive supply of holiday accomodation. Off to a five star one in northern NSW in a few weeks for $170 a night (hardly bad). But will never be as cheap as Spain or Bali as the wages of hotel staff aren't low.

Thing I like about Brisbane is the quick weekenders that can be had. Can get great deals at both coasts, particularly the gold coast due to its massive supply of holiday accomodation. Off to a five star one in northern NSW in a few weeks for $170 a night (hardly bad). But will never be as cheap as Spain or Bali as the wages of hotel staff aren't low.

5 star $170 a night is a bargain. I live near bath and I worked on a new hotel that's been built in bath, it is called a 5 star plus though, cheapest room £270 a night

So please explain why, when I have spent two years going through Perth international every month it is packed winter and summer with both Australians and Brits climbing on the flights to Bali?

Don't you like to visit other cultures and learn about different things? Experience different foods and sights and smells?

Oh, and you have checked the rainfall stats? Perth gets almost twice the annual rainfall of London.

Of course people want to get away for some R&R, but if your not bothered about flying off here and there, then Perth and WA has lots of holiday type places right on the doorstep.

Yes I've travelled, been to lots of different countries far and wide. Hopefully in the future I will get to do a few more, but a side reason for coming to Aus was to explore what's here:cool:. I have been out of WA, but in three years, still not scratched the surface, so happy to do more touring here first, while based here.

Ahhh please, not the whole rainfall stat again:confused:. Yes Perth gets rain, but its in the more tropical sense, large downpours every now and again, not constant drizzle and grey skies.

sorry but I've never had a Perth summer that was a washout:err:, never had to cancel summer plans due to rain, never been to a festival in summer and had to cope with mud here!!

Wow is that a fair comment GGS?The difference is....they can and do!

There is a massive difference IMO. We used to love going off to Greece, Spain, France, Portugal etc. Mainly because you were guaranteed nice warm weather, nice beaches, usually cheaper booze and non restrictive opening hours. I know the opening hours have changed in the UK so that's not a problem now.

We used to live for the next time we could get away and started saving as soon as we got back. Flying into Manchester after a holiday and seeing the sun disappear as we came in to land, thinking, that's it till the next holiday then. Makes you want to get away as much as you can.

Here we've just had a weekend with my Niece and her boyfriend on their way back from China, after a year teaching, to the UK. It's the middle of winter, Saturday the nieces boyfriend was out on my surf ski in the morning, in the afternoon we went for a bike ride to Mindarie, yesterday they were both in the Ocean board paddling in the morning and we went to the wineries and a brewery in the afternoon.

The Nieces boyfriend said that he can understand why we don't miss holidays or feel the need to get away so much if you can do that every weekend. Which we can.

My Mum used to say exactly the same thing when she visited us in Perth. She loved Mullaloo beach which was a 5 minute walk from the house. She even loved Whitford City :laugh: Coming from living in the Scottish countryside, she thought it was a great place.

Very much so - a huge amount of Australians go for Christmas. In fact the Oz summer months are the peak period. Partly of course because it is the school holidays.

Holidaying within Oz is VERY expensive. For example, you could this time of year head up to Broome for a holiday - don't even need to fly. Dry season and sunny (It is in the teens in Perth, grey and raining a lot). But, a reasonable hotel for a week with see you handover well over $1000. You can get a package deal to Bali for a fraction and the food and booze is a fraction as well.

I just had a very quick look on line at Spanish holidays for Brits and still lots of choice in the 300 pound area for a week with flights and hotels. I have a lot of friends that just look for the easyjet offers and snap something up regardless of where it is to.

Personally, we have never chosen a destination because of its weather. It has been about either going to see / experience a particular thing or because there was a very good deal to somewhere that sounded interesting - we went to Tunisia once simply because there was a fantastic offer even though it had never been on the radar of somewhere we intended to visit. But didn't spend a single day on the beach. Spent it all exploring the history.

I know that I risk being labelled a snob but if I found a week in Spain at £300 a head I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. Our last one week holiday in Tenerife was over £2000 plus spending money. It was great to have a break but the only reason we went was to see some warm sun (it was March and winter blues were in the ascendency). As it turned out the weather was pretty crap unfortunately though better than we left behind obviously. You really have to fly more than 4 hours to get any guaranteed warmth between December and April.

If, though, you do not care about warm sunshine you are thoroughly spoilt for choice in the UK and really should never leave.

There is a massive difference IMO. We used to love going off to Greece, Spain, France, Portugal etc. Mainly because you were guaranteed nice warm weather, nice beaches, usually cheaper booze and non restrictive opening hours. I know the opening hours have changed in the UK so that's not a problem now.

We used to live for the next time we could get away and started saving as soon as we got back. Flying into Manchester after a holiday and seeing the sun disappear as we came in to land, thinking, that's it till the next holiday then. Makes you want to get away as much as you can.

Here we've just had a weekend with my Niece and her boyfriend on their way back from China, after a year teaching, to the UK. It's the middle of winter, Saturday the nieces boyfriend was out on my surf ski in the morning, in the afternoon we went for a bike ride to Mindarie, yesterday they were both in the Ocean board paddling in the morning and we went to the wineries and a brewery in the afternoon.

The Nieces boyfriend said that he can understand why we don't miss holidays or feel the need to get away so much if you can do that every weekend. Which we can.

Yes the u.k summer has been disappointing so far ...but the choice here is massive ....next door neighbour has just back from Sorrento ,Italy ...neighbour over the road is in Cyprus ...se are off touring Italy on Monday ...rome,Venice ,Florence ...in terms of choice its a no brainer .

I've lived in w.a ...everyone from Perth heading to the south Wes on bank holidays ...everyone from the south west heading to Perth ...its great but Limited...a gilded cage .

I understand why it would appeal to some ....and I have no issues with w.a or oz in general ...but its a big world out there ..and iam having some of it

My kids are almost off my hands ....and that's a game changer ....i may say right moms passed on...all boxes are ticked ,iam heading back to warmer climbs ...there again I might not ...theres always another box to tick in the u.k and Europe ....which is bloody annoying....

I have started looking at cruises now ,from Southampton ..some great deals to be had

We go to Fiji, Vanuatu, Bali, Vietnam, New Hebrides, Malaysia for hols when we want to get away cheaply. Sometimes up to North Queensland but it is more expensive than Fiji for example. If we feel like some cooler weather we go to New Zealand or Tasmania. Not that different from going to Europe but a bit more exotic perhaps. Can also load up with really cheap goods for fun!

Archived