Most Disadvantaged Suburbs in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

A NEW report has highlighted Australia’s most disadvantaged suburbs, where residents are more likely to end up in jail, unemployed and on low incomes.

The Dropping Off the Edge report — which looks at social indicators including long-term unemployment, education standards, domestic violence and criminal convictions — shows disadvantage has become entrenched in many communities.

In NSW for example, about 25 per cent of prisoners come from just 3 per cent of the state’s postcodes. In South Australia, they come from 5.5 per cent of regions and, in Victoria, a quarter of prisoners come from just 2 per cent of postcodes.

Eight years since the first report, the Melbourne suburb of Broadmeadows remains in the most severe bracket of disadvantage.

Over the same time frame, the Geelong suburb of Corio has slipped two brackets, into the most severe band.

The picture in NSW is no less bleak, with nine of the state’s 12 most disadvantaged communities seeing no improvement in their rankings and others also sliding backwards.

For example, the Sydney suburb of Claymore was in the second least severe of six bands of disadvantage in 2007. It’s now in the most severe bracket.

There have been similar slides in rural NSW communities too such as Walgett and Lightning Ridge.

Produced by Jesuit Social Services and Catholic Social Services Australia, the report found the disadvantaged communities shared common characteristics. For example, criminal convictions were a dominant characteristic in about 70 per cent of these suburbs in NSW. There were also significant rates of adult imprisonment and juvenile offending where unemployment, low income, poor education and domestic violence were a feature.

Criminal convictions were also prominent in Victoria’s disadvantaged areas, with the only exception an area where youth offenders were more prominent.

The report also found that the disadvantage in some of these areas did not seem to be improving, and the social support structures aimed at addressing chronic aspects of disadvantage were simply not working in some parts of the country.

The situation in Victoria paints a stark picture of the lack of progress, with 10 of the state’s 12 most disadvantaged communities failing to improve their ranking since the previous report in 2007.

“There are a small but significant number of communities that we have failed. They need a new structure and a new approach,” Jesuit Social Services chief executive Julie Edwards says.

Catholic Social Services chief executive Marcelle Mogg agrees there must be a new tailor-made approach that directly targets issues at play in individual communities.

Without that, she says the nation will not be able to ease the economic costs that come with social disadvantage.

“This report outlines that residents in these communities aren’t just dealing with one form of disadvantage, but multiple, complex barriers to individual wellbeing and community participation,” Ms Mogg said.

The report was compiled using Australian Bureau of Statistics data, and other resources such as NAPLAN results, and the Australian Early Learning Index, as well data from human services agencies across the states and territories.

A new website, which details the communities most at risk, has gone live allowing people to check on the social health of their communities via their postcodes.

MOST DISADVANTAGED SUBURBS:

NSW:

Brewarrina (2839), Claymore (2559), Lightning Ridge (2834), Walgett (2832), Wilcannia (2836) and Windale (2306).

VICTORIA:

Broadmeadows (3047), Corio (3214), Doveton (3177), Frankston North (3200), Maryborough (3465) and Morwell (3840).

QUEENSLAND:

Aurukun, Doomadgee, Kowanyama, Mornington, Woorabinda and Yarrabah.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

Anangu Pitjantjatjara, Coober Pedy, Maralinga Tjarutja, Peterborough, Playford — Elizabeth and unincorporated Whyalla.

TASMANIA:

Break O’Day, Brighton, Central Highlands, George Town and Tasman.

Actually joking aside I watched a show last night and it said that Perth was the burglary capital of Australia, would that be right ?

It was certainly the car theft capital of Australia in the 90's and early 00's. Mostly to feed the drug problems here I expect. House burglary was indeed a big problem. The biggest not sure but close to it.

No idea how the stats are in more recent times. Drug abuse remains high but hardly WA confined. High cost of living has of course increasingly alienated more people ,but isn't that true Australia wide?

The show that was on was comparing policing in different cities in the world. In Perth they were saying burglaries were more often than not perpetrated by the same people, serial repeat offenders. Why on earth aren't these people behind bars ? If you are a repeat offender then you have on intention of seeing the light and sticking to the straight and narrow, get them off the streets and lock em up.

The crime pages would suggest most of these burglaries are opportunist , in that people still leave doors unlocked, garage doors open etc. just like we did years ago in the UK

It's been sometime since doors were left unlocked anywhere in Perth or Mandurah for that matter that I am aware. Never met anybody that does and insurance claims would be impacted if a break in occurred. I recall such things being said as a kid but that was a very long time ago.

The show that was on was comparing policing in different cities in the world. In Perth they were saying burglaries were more often than not perpetrated by the same people, serial repeat offenders. Why on earth aren't these people behind bars ? If you are a repeat offender then you have on intention of seeing the light and sticking to the straight and narrow, get them off the streets and lock em up.

There are crews around or at least were around more than a decade back that would steal to order. They got busted from time to time but resumed when back out on the streets. Drugs were the motivation in those times.

I've spent a bit of time in one of WA's so termed disadvantaged towns, namely Derby in the Kimberley. A definite two tier town in wealth distribution if ever but hardly bad. Thing being a large segment of the population is priced out due to the high prices of eating out, staying in a hotel, rents were very high but since declined as has house prices.

As I said rather enjoyed the spells up there.

What a load of rubbish. Most Disadvantaged Suburbs is.Queensland needs to have at least 10 more suburbs on that list, that i know about.In Hervey Bay on the Sunshine Coast the low life are even stealing,the copper telephone wires.Youth there is out of control In Gympie and surrounds There's more people unemployed than employed ,yet most can afford to buy the most popular drug ice There's a epidemic of drug users.The Police are no where to be seen.Australia is so over Governed,it's embarassing to watch.This Coag meeting, 7 state Premiers and 1 PM trying to Govern 22 million people.always wanting more money .The GST that the Liberals said would never ever go up,is going up 50%,then there's Hundreds of Councils wanting more money.Our council has just posted it's 4,380,000,000 Million rip off budget for 215-16.And it's 95% for Beautification.Of the shire.These people just don't care.The country is broke,Borrowing $100 million a day to stay afloat.And the only thing they are building is more jails.And dud Collins class Submarines.We already tried to build 12 and only 1 is operational.

What a load of rubbish. Most Disadvantaged Suburbs is.Queensland needs to have at least 10 more suburbs on that list, that i know about.In Hervey Bay on the Sunshine Coast the low life are even stealing,the copper telephone wires.Youth there is out of control In Gympie and surrounds There's more people unemployed than employed ,yet most can afford to buy the most popular drug ice There's a epidemic of drug users.The Police are no where to be seen.Australia is so over Governed,it's embarassing to watch.This Coag meeting, 7 state Premiers and 1 PM trying to Govern 22 million people.always wanting more money .The GST that the Liberals said would never ever go up,is going up 50%,then there's Hundreds of Councils wanting more money.Our council has just posted it's 4,380,000,000 Million rip off budget for 215-16.And it's 95% for Beautification.Of the shire.These people just don't care.The country is broke,Borrowing $100 million a day to stay afloat.And the only thing they are building is more jails.And dud Collins class Submarines.We already tried to build 12 and only 1 is operational.

Genuinely bloody sad ...its beginning to sound distinctly like the united states ...and you know where the u.s is going ......

Its the two tier system I don't like ...i stood on the beach in Santa Monica California ...the rich driving past in their Ferraris and lambourginis ...,not 30 yds away people were sheltering un der cardboard boxes....that's what happens in an unstructured 2 tier system

I see Claymore is mentioned.I was watching a doco on that place via You Tube last year called Poverty in Australia.No surprise to me actually.Although I don't know the place,it reminded me of Elizabeth in SA.A place where I first lived when first married many moons ago.We brought our first house there (and that was in one of the better areas of Elizabeth!!)and my god,we knew what it was like before we moved there,but that's all we could afford back then.Some area's of Elizabeth look like some third world ghetto and that's being kind!lol I can still remember the crappy 60's style little shopping centre,very depressing.The kindy my daughter attended was joined onto the primary school,and some of the kids that attended?One of daughters friends had to have all her teeth removed due to decay.Aged 4??Sad!Saw an aboriginal guy walking down my street with a wheelbarrow (top was covered a with cover).Later police knocked my door to ask if I had seen this guy?I gave them the info I had,and later they called back to say they found the guy,in a house around the corner where he lived,which was full of stolen goods!Kids sniffing petrol in the underpass of the local train station.We were there for nearly 3 years,and thank god we got out.I just don't know how people can live in area's like that for years and feel happy.I found the whole thing very depressing.Before I left SA,the housing trust were selling some of their stock.Tizzied up semi's,with new landscaped gardens.But it was still Elizabeth,and it didn't matter where you lived there,you only had to walk around a corner and find the ghetto.

What a crock of cr@p. What did you come back for then? Did you think Oz would be the lesser of two evils once you got a taste of your mother country? You bleated in a similar manner about the UK once you were back there. Seems you'll never be happy no matter what place you live in.

^^^ Agree about Elizabeth - what a dump. A heck of as lot of migrants settled there too.

Even in Devonport there are very poor people. I do a bit of voluntary work with them. It seems like it's generational cycle. Grandparents, parents and now the kids have never had a job.

Hey no WA.

The actual report - the above one is a news.com.au summary - lists these as the most disadvantaged in WA:

• Derby-West Kimberley, Halls Creek, Meekatharra, Menzies, Mt Magnet, Ngaanyatjarraku and Wyndham-East Kimberley.

Looking at NSW, it didn't surprise me to see that the majority of the suburbs were inland northern NSW.

However, I was surprised to see Windale on the list. I've never been there, but wouldn't have expected anywhere on the Central Coast to be regarded as a problem area.

Does anyone here live around that way - is it really that bad?

Archived