8 years in Melbourne and no further forward.

duffer34

I love Melbourne and Australia but listed below are the things I am struggling with even 8 years on after leaving Scotland, is anyone in the same boat as me or am I completely mental:

• Substandard cold rental property in North Fitzroy for $2781.00 a month and Land Lord thinking that is at an appropriate standard.
  • Missing family (a lot)
  • No support with my 2 year old who has been a bad sleeper
  • no line of sight of being able to afford a decent house in a desirable area even though I earn in excess of $140K a year.
  • The price of flights back home at Xmas $10K +
  • Rego at $750 a year
  • The long expensive battle for Citizenship and PR
  • The lack of affordability to do long weekends away

Sounds all very negative but I am really at the end of it and these issues are driving me back home. I love a lot of things about Melbs but I think its time to head home.

Is anyone in the same boat or am I a negative Scotsman !!!!! or a realist

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No just a negative realists!:laugh:I cant comment on Melbourne as I lived in SA.Is it possible to find a cheaper property to rent?Or even move out of Melbourne to ..say a large country town?You need to feel comfortable and living in a house without adequate heating is pretty dire in winter.

Most of your negatives are centred around money.Try to refocus your thoughts on the positives surrounding you. I would imagine too,as you've been renting long term,and not being able to put your own stamp on a house would be unsettling.Unless you're at the point of no return,I would consider moving somewhere (if possible,not sure what you do for a job)in Victoria where is might be possible to buy your own place,if that's what might make you feel more settled.

I do understand though,having a 2 yr old and no real support would also make you feel unsettled.How are you feeling about returning to Scotland?Positive?

I love Melbourne and Australia but listed below are the things I am struggling with even 8 years on after leaving Scotland, is anyone in the same boat as me or am I completely mental:

• Substandard cold rental property in North Fitzroy for $2781.00 a month and Land Lord thinking that is at an appropriate standard.

• Missing family (a lot)

• no line of sight of being able to afford a decent house in a desirable area even though I earn in excess of $140K a year.

• Rego at $750 a year

Sounds all very negative but I am really at the end of it and these issues are driving me back home. I love a lot of things about Melbs but I think its time to head home.

Flipping heck duffer, what are you doing with your money. My daughter and husband have just bought their first house, and they are earning far less than $140,000. Do you have a savings plan of some sort?

Again, on the lack of support, ,my daughter has 3 children, 10, 8 and 4, and has no close support with living 6 hours drive away from us. In eight years, surely you have made some friends that can help you out now and again, and you can do the same for them.

On the cold, expensive house, move to somewhere else. If your landlord thinks it is worth what you are paying, show him or her otherwise.

Pick a cheaper time of the year to go back to visit. Daft paying that much when there is no need to.

That $750 includes 3rd party insurance. What sort of car are you driving?

Why the long battle for PR etc? After 8 years I thought it would have been a shoo in.

Again, on $140,000, I cannot see why you cannot afford a long weekend away now and again. Go camping even.

Yes, a lot of negativity in your post, but nothing that cannot be overcome with some planning and thinking well ahead.

• Missing family (a lot)

• Rego at $750 a year

We are going back to the UK this Xmas and got flights for three adults and 1 child for $7500 for all of us with Singapore. You just need to get in as soon as the flights open and you can get much cheaper deals. We paid about the same going back in July but booked a bit later and it was during school holidays here. You could probably get even cheaper flights if you look outside of school holidays here and the UK. It would mean doing Xmas here though which might not be quite so great as missing family is one of your problems.

My OH and I earn less than you do and do find things a bit tight at times. Our monthly mortgage payments are slightly more than what you are paying in rent but we are paying off more than we need to. And we had a fair bit of equity from our house in the UK so we were able to get a nice house in a nice area for the money we had. We are careful with money, we only have one car and don't go out that much (to be fair we wouldn't even if we had loads of money) but we can still afford to go away a few times a year.

I have to say I do sympathise with the missing family. I don't but when my eldest was born we lived 1.5 hours away from my parents and I found things really hard (OH is Australian and his family is here). It wasn't until we moved closer to my family and I had some practical and moral support that I really felt happy. My OH always wanted to come back to Australia but I just couldn't imagine being away from my support network while they were still young. They are not so young anymore and the support we do need we get from my OH's family but I can understand the need to be near family while kids are young.

I dont know what you are doing with your money but when there as only me working on about $62k for nearly a year we paid all of the bills, saved for a deposit, bought a new car with cash, had regular weekends away and lived in Williamstown. We had to be careful with money but we didn't scrimp.

we paid all of the bills, saved for a deposit, bought a new car with cash, had regular weekends away and lived in Williamstown. We had to be careful with money but we didn't scrimp.

All on $62k per year ($940 a week take home) ?? How on earth did you manage that?? Good work but Im amazed.

I dont know what you are doing with your money but when there as only me working on about $62k for nearly a year we paid all of the bills, saved for a deposit, bought a new car with cash, had regular weekends away and lived in Williamstown. We had to be careful with money but we didn't scrimp.

Did you win the Lotto as well :laugh:

I want to know your secret

Your "no further forward" comment resonates with me a little, after five years we were still renters and buying seemed a long way off. Back in the UK, our circumstances meant we could own outright here and we are a lot happier with that. Would a move back improve your circumstances do you think?

To the rest of your comments, they didn't apply in my case and a couple of them look easily fixable, like moving to a different house, travelling at a different time of year? But if they are bothering you and things you don't feel you can fix whilst you are in Australia, well you know if it is time to go.

I am on a similar salary and struggled to support a family when I was the sole income earner. Now we have a dual income and struggle on more!

First off, you are spending way too much on rent. You can rent in a more remote suburb for a lot less - and probably get a much nicer place for your money. I am supporting a mortgage on a $500k house for less than you are paying in rent.

Secondly, food. It is a major drain on money, especially if you eat out or get take aways. Unlike Scotland, you need to work out how much your meals are costing you.

Thirdly, trips overseas. Taking families overseas is hugely expensive. If you are spending, say, $12k on a trip overseas (flights, accommodation, eating out) you are basically dropping about $20k in gross income.

I agree that weekends away are very expensive when you factor in travel, accommodation, eating out and activities. Better to do day trips.

Just some thoughts. You are not alone in struggling on a high income - I do wonder myself how others do it and what we are getting wrong.

how the hell do you mangae, a single bloke struggles on that. :eek:

I understand where you coming from. I know everyone is saying they get paid less and I do too but what you saying is the reality.

The rent you mentioned for a 2 bed in a inner city suburb is about right for most suburbs within easy reach.

The houses here are cold, very cold! I never been so cold. In England all houses and I lived in some **** places are warm and toasty in winter. Mine today is 12C indoors!!! Of course I have a heater but not in all rooms.

Holidays yes it's way too expensive and not all of us are into camping. Been thinking I should see more of Oz but evertime I look at a weekend away it costs almost $1000 if not more. Cheaper going somewhere in Asia!

It's hard to make friends and have a community, I only had that in Adelaide and only realised after I left.

Maybe try another city but I know it's hard to find work in some areas in smaller places. Adelaide can be quite hard depending what u do for work.

I have thought a lot recently if I was better off there? I thought here would be easy to buy a small apartment but prices are insane even for glass fishbowls! I think is important to have our own house even if just for comfort and security.

You don't mention a partner, but can your other half also work and contribute? Wish u luck. :)

• Missing family (a lot)

• Rego at $750 a year

You definatley need to move, having said that there are plenty of very nice properties on Realestate.com for less than you are paying.

Why not try a country town like Bacchuss Marsh, rentals there are very reasonable and only 40 mins by train into city. Plenty of people do the commute. Youll see brand new homes with proper heating/cooling going for around $300 a week.

All on $62k per year ($940 a week take home) ?? How on earth did you manage that?? Good work but Im amazed.

It was pretty easy, just buy the necessities and keep an eye on the pennies and saved like crazy but have regular treats to make life more fun. Its rare that we pay full price for anything and always hunt on the internet for a bargain or wait for the sales. We saved over $100k for a house deposit in 5 years and once we have finished the gardens we can start doubling the mortgage payments.

I was once offered a good tip. Always buy on the last day of the sale. If they havent made their target, they are desperate for a sale and if they have achieved target, they dont care about the price, so they will be happy to reduce it. Its always worked for me. Aim for at least a third off and settle on 25%. Otherwise walk away.

I have been here 8 years and feel it was a mistake not buying a house. Renting is diabolical here - you really are a second class citizen. We pay $650 a week for a large house in a lovely area of Brisbane but the landlord pays next to nothing in property maintenance and any issues with the house (it has dodgy electrics for example) are seen as our fault. I am bored with 3 monthly inspections, really worried in case anything goes seriously wrong with the house and we have to take the flak, tired of having to move every 12-15 months because the landlord wants the house back or rent is increasing by 50% (one house we were in the rent went up from $500 to $800). We earn a high salary between us ($160k+) but are not rolling in it, but do have very expensive medical bills for our son. We rarely have holidays because they wipe us out financially. I have told my hubby 'no more renting' and will be heading back next year. I also wanted to retain the quality of living that I had in the UK (nice house, nice area) and for our area of Brisbane that means $900K plus to buy a small house, $1.5 million for anything decent. There are plenty of options though - we could put up with a long commute and buy a house comfortably in Brissie sticks for $600 - $700K. We could also sell our UK home and buy here so shouldn't complain. I am sure if you wanted it to work you could make it so, but it sounds like you are hankering for home - It is very hard when you post this level of salary and get the 'I live like a king on $70K' responses because some people are excellent at budgeting and prepared to do without and compromise to get where they want to be. Although I'm not a big spender by any means (Markets, Aldi, clothes sourced from UK, cheap cars) I'm not willing to compromise on quality of living so have to suck it up or return.

Between them, Bungo and Chortlepuss sum things up for me. Coulda, shoulda bought. Been here 7 years almost. Lost two rentals due to returning and selling landlords. Have 6 weeks left to find somewhere again and hate the process. Everything out there is awful for a similar price. The problem I have is I can't find a suburb, let alone a house I would want to buy in. I know if we bought somewhere crap it would have still gone up in value, but always think there must be something better - what did we come over for otherwise.

I would go back to UK, but OH won't. I would try out Brisbane, NSW - again in a minority of one! We could live somewhere away from the cold winters (as someone said, houses are warm in Uk even when its colder!). I would even try different 'nicer?' areas, bayside, Mornington, but OH and son have jobs in the area.

Thats the other thing, can't get a job. Three months work in past 18. Been treated pretty poorly both in work and more so in the job hunt. At Coles as a casual now and lucky to get 4 hours a week. Was working there when we came over and was getting 3 days (24 hours) a week.

We have money in the UK and exchange rate is improving, but I'm not sure if I want to bring it over. Also there is more talk of the property bubble and surprise fall in house prices last month could be the start of a correction, but I doubt there will be a crash.

I sometimes wonder why we came. Same lifestyle - 9-5 grind, boring suburban living. I just can't convince OH that there is more out there. Without it, I would rather head back to the UK.

We used to go out a lot, both free (bushwalking etc) and paid -(sports, breaks, restaurants etc). But I don't really bother much now. We had great income when I was working (IT for me, nurse for OH), but don't really see a lot of difference. We spent more when we had it. Its not really the reason why we stopped, but I guess it has been 'helpful' income wise, without a job. I dare say if I started working again I would play harder as well.

Have to agree Melb starting to feel much like London, get up is dark go home is dark, is cold and miserable and winter just started, it feels like it has been like this for months. Hardly had a summer.

have to admit I haven't been able to achieve what I thought I would when I moved here, things change too.

Have to agree Melb starting to feel much like London, get up is dark go home is dark, is cold and miserable and winter just started, it feels like it has been like this for months. Hardly had a summer.

have to admit I haven't been able to achieve what I thought I would when I moved here, things change too.

Not sure about others, but we started with the idea of cheap property, being able to sell up in the UK, buy outright and have some left over. Unfortunately stripping the country to sell resources/farmland/housing to China and the GFC put paid to all that. This is now the feeling I get of what could be possible going back to the UK. We could easily live mortgage free in a better house than we sold. Add the potential of both of us getting jobs makes it very attractive

Plus 1 for Melbourne being like London!

We're heading up to Brissie in a bid to escape the rat race. From where we lived in the UK I could have been in London quicker than it now takes me to get into Melbourne, I'd have been on shitloads more money and living in the Midlands, i.e. not paying London prices, I didn't want that lifestyle back then and I certainty didn't more halfway around the world for it, yet somehow I've managed to get caught up in it for the last two years!!

I'd say it's time to make a change, whether that's back to the UK or elsewhere in Oz.

BTW boganbear said 'lived on ABOUT $62k for NEARLY A YEAR' with the lifestyle mentioned I can only presume the surrounding years were drawing a $200k salary!! Either that or no mortgage/rent to pay for!!

Yep rat race sums it up !!! I am head of property for a FTSE 250 listed group living and working in Melbourne. I have been in property for 13 years plus both on client side and developer side. You need a brain transplant if you are buying in this market and thinking it would be a wise decision. Do me a favour work out if you could still afford your mortgage if interest rates went to 8 percent if you can't then don't - mortgages are for 20 -35 years if u think they won't go up then u need to wake up. 40 percent of new mortgages are interest only basically that means 40 of people have bought properties they can't afford. Been there done that pre GFC in the uk and lost 60k plus but everyone said u need to buy as it will always rise and there is lack of supply. Would have better putting all my money on the roulette table and praying for red. Watch this space things will change and if they don't I will happily retract my commentary and admit I am the stupid one

As soon as I saw ' North Fitzroy' I thought- why? One of the most expensive suburbs in Melbourne and there are many much cheaper places just as near to the CBD. If you moved just a tad further out you would have access to cheaper shops (Aldi?) and cheaper living standards in general.

Yep rat race sums it up !!! I am head of property for a FTSE 250 listed group living and working in Melbourne. I have been in property for 13 years plus both on client side and developer side. You need a brain transplant if you are buying in this market and thinking it would be a wise decision. Do me a favour work out if you could still afford your mortgage if interest rates went to 8 percent if you can't then don't - mortgages are for 20 -35 years if u think they won't go up then u need to wake up. 40 percent of new mortgages are interest only basically that means 40 of people have bought properties they can't afford. Been there done that pre GFC in the uk and lost 60k plus but everyone said u need to buy as it will always rise and there is lack of supply. Would have better putting all my money on the roulette table and praying for red. Watch this space things will change and if they don't I will happily retract my commentary and admit I am the stupid one

We had a mortage when interest rates were over 15%. We were always able to manage.

We had a mortage when interest rates were over 15%. We were always able to manage.

I am pleased for you, but I think that if you have a $400,000 mortgage, 15% interest would be $60,000 a year - whereas at 2% the interest is $8,000 a year. That's the kind of difference that people would find difficult to absorb.

8 years out here I take it, and no children for 6 of those 8 years? 8 years ago property was a lot cheaper. Even 6 years ago it was a lot cheaper, so why now make a fuss about not being able to afford to buy? I may be reading your post incorrectly, but if I am correct in my assumptions, what was stopping you buying years ago?

We have friends who, like JockinTas, bought when interest rates were around the 15% mark, but just got on with it.

I really hope that you can make a go of it, but your words make me think that you have given up already.

Archived