Are you feeling the pinch in oz

Perthbum

Paul1Perth,you mentioned PB saying he didn't know anyone who had been affected by the recession (UK).I didn't know anyone either tbh! Everyone I knew were working,still going on holidays,and just living their lives as normal.Some area's of the UK were hit worse than others of course,but I reckon it would be much the same in Oz.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul1Perth,you mentioned PB saying he didn't know anyone who had been affected by the recession (UK).I didn't know anyone either tbh! Everyone I knew were working,still going on holidays,and just living their lives as normal.Some area's of the UK were hit worse than others of course,but I reckon it would be much the same in Oz.

This thread is about Are you feeling the pinch in Oz

Stay on topic please :wink:

When I find honest tradies, I try to latch on to them. You want $200 to do a basic 1hr job? You got it. A honest tradie is worth every penny even if over priced. Too bad, it's getting harder and harder to find honest tradies.

Not feeling the pinch yet but scared as to how quickly I can run through all my savings if I am out of work for more than 6 months.

Very true. Non rip off merchants should be outed and given credit. The rip offs could go into a hall of shame.

Very true. Non rip off merchants should be outed and given credit. The rip offs could go into a hall of shame.

Is there an equivalent of 'Check-a-trade' on Oz where traders choose to be registered and customers can give feedback/reviews. It is a far from perfect system but gaining a stronger foothold in the UK. One of the things I will miss is that locally I have established a network of reliable, honest tradies for a variety of jobs and obviously will need to start again over there.

Is there an equivalent of 'Check-a-trade' on Oz where traders choose to be registered and customers can give feedback/reviews. It is a far from perfect system but gaining a stronger foothold in the UK. One of the things I will miss is that locally I have established a network of reliable, honest tradies for a variety of jobs and obviously will need to start again over there.

Not sure about check a tradie as such but can do for certain companies for what t is worth. Not long ago today, another bloke twelve years out of The Midlands gave me another quote for $2,800 more than the previous inflated one. At least he had the manners to state "You weren't expecting it to be that much were you?"

Back on topic Am I feeling the pinch in Australia

Well everyone seems to think that tradies are nothing but a big rip off here in Australia

Last time I filled up with petrol it overflowed under my car

I rang my usual mechanic fearing the worse

He came today to have a look and the part will cost $60 and $200 labour to fit

He was here over an hour stripping it down then ordered part which won't be here for a couple of days so had to refit all then do all again when he fits new part

Can't complain about that

How do you know there was anything wrong with the car at all ?

I would have just driven off I expect.

Unless you mean you had a hole in your fuel tank. That would be a problem.

Sometimes I overfill and get spill over out the top. You probably don't mean that though do you ?

Edited by parleycross

Sometimes I overfill and get spill over out the top. You probably don't mean that though do you ?

Sorry I didn't explain it properly

My mistake

The petrol was coming out from under the car not from the filler

The connector on top of the tank as cracked

Yep if Aus goes into recession then I suppose it will be much the same. The rest of mine and my wifes families are in the UK and the the ones affected the most were my Nieces and Nephews. I have a couple of nephews in Manchester the same age as my kids. The eldest (25) has never managed to get a proper job, despite trying quite hard and doing lots of government courses. He's doing and acting course now in London and owes heaps. His Mum and Grandad are not really expecting the money they "lent" him back. His brother (20) is on a government course and has a part time job in toys-r-us.

My nieces are a bit older but one of them was married and bought a house just before the GFC hit. They were one of the last to get a 100% interest only mortgage, they had kids, wanted to move to a bigger place but were in negative equity. The banks lent them enough to build an extension and they moved in with my Sister for a bit. So I guess it affected her too.

They have got into more and more debt and last year rented their house out and got jobs in Qatar. It was the only way they could see of getting rid of some debt. They hated it from the moment they landed, were stuck in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 kids, after being promised a 4 bed place, it was baking hot, dusty and they were at each others throats. Would have led to divorce if they had stayed. They had to get a leaving visa or something to get out of the country. They managed to get their passports back by saying they were going to Dubai for the weekend, got back to Qatar and got on a plane back to the UK.

Then they had to move back in with my sister till they got their house back from the people they'd rented it to. They must have massive debts but that's the way a lot of people live.

I didn't know you were a mod Howard?:wink:Next time I post something,I'll check it with you first before hitting the "reply"button!Not!

Been there done that never again...

I was just merely mentioning that the thread was about in Oz and your not :wink:

Please do refrain from this in the future :laugh:

If not this forum could become a joke :cool:

Carry on Posting :wink:

Yep will continue posting,without your permission thanks!:wink:I chose to NOT have any debts,so yes you do always have an option.You either choose to get yourself in debt or you don't!

The debt I had was to keep my family eating

It wasn't a choice it was what had to be done

Some people are lucky

Some people have bad luck

I like to read posts from those in UK as it brings back very happy memories

Just a shame when they spout old out of date info about Australia :wink:

One thing is for sure we both love the UK

Hmm Not sure I'd consider putting food on the table a "debt"More a necessity!Debts to me are credit cards,bank loans (I'd probably excuse a mortgage,but still live within your means.These days too many people get on that hideous cogwheel of keeping up with the Jone's),pay day loans and that kind of thing.

They have got into more and more debt and last year rented their house out and got jobs in Qatar. It was the only way they could see of getting rid of some debt. They hated it from the moment they landed, were stuck in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 kids, after being promised a 4 bed place, it was baking hot, dusty and they were at each others throats. Would have led to divorce if they had stayed. They had to get a leaving visa or something to get out of the country. They managed to get their passports back by saying they were going to Dubai for the weekend, got back to Qatar and got on a plane back to the UK.

Do you mean if you work in Qatar the authorities confiscate your passport when you enter the country and you need special permission to leave.

I don't like the sound of that. How can they keep foreign citizens against their will ?

Sounds very odd.

Hmm Not sure I'd consider putting food on the table a "debt"More a necessity!Debts to me are credit cards,bank loans (I'd probably excuse a mortgage,but still live within your means.These days too many people get on that hideous cogwheel of keeping up with the Jone's),pay day loans and that kind of thing.

Well we were having to use credit cards to buy the food

At one point we were paying the minimum payment on several cards and then spending that amount on food each month

We had a 3 year old and a new baby to feed

Hard times hit and we struggled for 2 or 3 years

We sorted it ourselves and came out of it better people because we now know what its like

Petrol tanks usually have an overfill/pressure release system. In oz especially, if you fill your car in the morning then leave it out in the sun, you may get some fuel underneath

As far as I am aware, check a trade is a bit of a con. Try and find a bad review on it. It's pretty hard.

We have a place near us that do partly worn tyres. They are brilliant. All their tyres have heaps of meat. Once they took the tyre off and told me it was fine and legal. Just swap it with a rear for no cost. (Was worn a little on the inside). Another time they resealed a slow leak for free. Top notch guys.

Is there an equivalent of 'Check-a-trade' on Oz where traders choose to be registered and customers can give feedback/reviews.

I don't know of a site specifically for trades but there are a few sites for all kinds of products, including tradespeople:

WOMO

Product Review

Yelp

Petrol tanks usually have an overfill/pressure release system. In oz especially, if you fill your car in the morning then leave it out in the sun, you may get some fuel underneath

I'll try and remember to take a picture of the faulty part

It's on top of the fuel tank a connector as split

Very rare to happen

I'll try and remember to take a picture of the faulty part

It's on top of the fuel tank a connector as split

Very rare to happen

Sorry, wasn't suggesting yours was that, just in general. We had a scenic whose fuel line went just after we got it. Wife and kids were sitting under a pool of petrol waiting for the RAC guy. Sounds similar to your problem.

As far as I am aware, check a trade is a bit of a con. Try and find a bad review on it. It's pretty hard.

We have a place near us that do partly worn tyres. They are brilliant. All their tyres have heaps of meat. Once they took the tyre off and told me it was fine and legal. Just swap it with a rear for no cost. (Was worn a little on the inside). Another time they resealed a slow leak for free. Top notch guys.

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/whats-your-view-on-check-a-trade-and-similar-sites.321225/

Well I'm glad I don't live like that.I'd find it majorly stressful.

How old are you Jacaranda? It's all part of life, no-one said it was going to be easy.:wink:

To be fair my niece and nephew's problems are pretty much self inflicted. We couldn't see why my niece wanted 3 kids so quick with already big debts, a big mortgage and negative equity.

I had a lot of money when younger as I did an apprenticeship and worked on shift work whilst living with my parents for years. Could have bought a house cash when I was in my mid 20's. What did I want with a house then though.:rolleyes:

Years later went back to uni, lived on a grant, went on holiday to Bermuda and spent all the savings. Started again when I left Uni, got married, got the first mortgage, had a kid, then sold up to come to Aus. House paid for the move and we started again when we got here. I was 39 my wife 34.

We still have loans but we never really get stressed and have always felt OK. We have never really tried to live on beans on toast though and pay the mortgage off in 5 years, like some people do.:cool: