Same Sex Couple with adopted child moving to Melbourne

ljruss2013

Hi all was wondering if there is anyone out their possible in the same situation as us or that might be able to assist us in our questions.

We are a Male same sex couple 2 years ago we adopted our son here in the uk and now we have been offered a fantastic opportunity to move to Oz and have decided on Melbourne.

I have read many different sites that give conflicting views on the Australians. I am hearing that Homophobia in Melbourne is rife does anyone have any views on this and are there no go areas for us in Melbourne i.e. certain suburbs ???

We understand that Australia doesn't currently allow same sex adoption does anyone have any information on wether we would still be considered to be our sons parents.

Thanks In Advance.

You have heard tha homophobia in Melbourne is rife? Where on earth do these things come from, this is a western city in 2015. Of course homophobia is not rife, no more than it is in London.

Same sex adoption is allowed in some states, but not Victoria, don't know how this plays out for a child adopted elsewhere on indeed in another part of Australia.

Hi Many thanks for your reply. It sites out there saying that in the City itself its fine but the further out from Melbourne CBD it gets worse so much that iv been told its really bad 30 mins out from the CBD in either direction. I must admit it really did put us off but personally I thought I would message on this forum and hope for some replies. Many Thanks again

There are many same sex couples with adopted children, they adopt them overseas. I did not know they were prevented from adopting in Victoria but read often in the papers about same sex couples who adopt from overseas etc so people just go to another State or overseas to adopt. No-one blinks an eye these days.

I never experienced any homophobia apart from that from the government in making me pay an extortionate amount for my visa, and not allowing civil partnerships or same sex marriage. Homophobia is worse the further you get out from the CBD? What rubbish! I've found Aussies more tolerate than poms.

Hi, many of our friends in Melbourne are same sex couples. I haven't found Melbourne to be homophobic and there are a number of LGBT events/festivals that happen throughout the year. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice on the adoption situation but wish you and your family all the best on your new adventure x

Australia is quite a conservative country though with a Christian heritage.

I think most people accept gay people and know gay people and couples.

Many don't support gay marriage or gay adoption, and others who do often make the allegation that this means they are homophobic. But that is not the case at all usually.

Australia is quite a conservative country though with a Christian heritage.

I think most people accept gay people and know gay people and couples.

Many don't support gay marriage or gay adoption, and others who do often make the allegation that this means they are homophobic. But that is not the case at all usually.

Yes, this correct: far North QLD for example is conservative with a Federal MP who is a reputation of being unenlightened in this area, and he has stated there are no gay people in FNQ... Rural areas generally are less forward thinking. But in metropolitan urban areas like Sydney and Melbourne, there are no such fears.

I suppose you would have to pick your area carefully. I think you are right in a way to say that inner cities are more accepting of a same sex couple with a child. Obviously you don't have to go out of your way to advertise it and court controversy. I'm sure if you moved into a suburban neighbourhood with a lot of heterosexual couples with kids you might get a few comments. Not necessarily to your face.

I'm sure if you were going to Sydney and Kings Cross for example no-one would bat an eyelid. I'm sure there are areas around Melbourne the same.

Depends on what you mean by homophobia really. In Melbourne there's no issues as it's a very cosmopolitan and tolerant place. There's a huge festival in St Kilda each year that's well received and no-one is going to take much notice about two men being in a relationship.

What you will find here though is people are a bit less politically correct, and I say that in a good way.

Anyway, good for you for adopting a child. I take my hat off to people like you.

Nothing to fear in state capitals and other highly populated developed areas.

You have to separate the politics here from the people on the street. Although it's a bit embarrassing that the same sex marriage legislation is yet to come, I am convinced that Australia like NZ and the UK will eventually do the decent thing.

My brother is gay and lives with his partner in the country, they have been together for 20 years and everyone is very accepting of them. Where they live its all farms and rural and very outspoken folk are the country folk but they are very well accepted in the community. Aussies call a spade a spade and tend to take people as they find them. Very blunt in their conversation and some find this offensive. However its not meant that way. I think you could live anywhere and be happy and accepted.

Hi, not sure what suburbs it refers to ... Do u have names? But those suburbs I'm sure even straight people wouldn't want to live there. Within inner city you fine!

Suburbs like Richmond, South Yarra and Prahran have a large gay community. Not sure why but they do and nobody bats an eye lid. It's like in London. I have friends and neighbours that are gay and they can openly talk about it.

same goes for most workplaces people are open about it and I never heard of someone being discriminated.

there are dodgy suburbs here like everywhere else ... I wouldn't want to leave there or go anywhere near. There are red necks and bogans (Chavs) in every country. Inner-city and you fine or south-East down the Sandringham train line for example.

Not gay myself, but I grew up in Perth and knew quite a few gay people. I'd say Perth was the same or better than most UK cities at acceptance. You'll always get the odd ******, and there may even be the odd bit of trouble. But then a friend of ours was subjected to a vicious homophobic attack in Brighton recently and he's not even gay. Mel and Sydney are quite accepting.

Hi, we are a also a same-sex couple moving over to Melbourne from Manchester (no kids though) and from what we hear it's a wonderful cosmopolitan city - but even, like Manchester, we're sure it will have it's fair share of homophobic people. I'll be definitely keen to hear which neighbourhoods might be best to go for. We were going to start with St Kilda for the first few months and move on from there.

Hi, we are a also a same-sex couple moving over to Melbourne from Manchester (no kids though) and from what we hear it's a wonderful cosmopolitan city - but even, like Manchester, we're sure it will have it's fair share of homophobic people. I'll be definitely keen to hear which neighbourhoods might be best to go for. We were going to start with St Kilda for the first few months and move on from there.

Hi, I would avoid St Kilda, it's not safe in the evening. During the day it has lots of tourists and people that go for a walk on the beach but in the evening it has lots of homeless, drunk, druggies and even prostitution. I know quite a few people that didn't stay long there. If you want to be close to it to go for beach walks maybe try Albert park, middle park or Windsor, Prahran and Elwood. All with trams and trains. All inner city are gay friendly and specially Prahran, Windsor, Richmond and South Yarra. If u on any of these suburbs u can jump on the tram or train to go to the beach. Check the trams routes going down Swanston St on CBD they all go along St Kilda rd and to all the suburbs I mentioned apart from Richmond and then go down to the beach.

• 1 month later...

Melbourne is a real melting pot. You'll find masses of support here. We lived in Brighton in UK and had lots of gay and lesbian friends. In my school here in Eastern Suburbs (im a teacher) we have an active LGBTI student group. I have a female friend in a gay relationship with two kids. I believe she would say its probably maybe easier in the city centre than out here in the burbs, but you know you'll find good people everywhere. Theres just a greater concentration of people and places in the city. Out in the sticks and upstate would inevitably be harder to settle for someone like yourself from Glasgow for all sorts of reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not encountered any homophobia, one or two people who have led fairy sheltered lives and been surprised to meet a real live gay person and not met one before... but that's about it. As long as you approach people with a straightforward open friendly attitude you will be fine. Blokes are quite blokey in Oz but that doesn't mean they are prejudiced at all....most people nowadays are pretty supportive and chilled about equal rights and gay people in general.

Came from London, supposed to be a beacon of tolerance and diversity but managed to get shouted at one time from a passing car by some homophobe and certain would have thought twice about how I conducted myself in certain areas. You can get idiots anywhere.

Archived