One week in - in tears constantly

MrsA

Hi Everyone

As I write this message I'm in tears. Is it normal one week in to possibly feel like this. I just really miss my family, friends, my home and all of the things I could easily do in the UK to cheer myself up after a bad day.

I I knew it would be hard but I didn't think I would be so upset so soon.

Please don't panic, everyone reacts differently and you will barely be over jet lag at this point.

How you feel right now has no bearing on how you'll feel a couple of years down the line unless you allow it to and dwell on your feelings.

I am sure you have lots to attend to so focus on the practical things right now and tell yourself these feelings will pass. If you'd gone on a weeks holiday you wouldn't be feeling like this so your mind is simply playing tricks on you.

I assume there is a MrA, how is he doing?

Awwww MrsA I'm sorry to hear you are sad... Whereabouts are you and is someone with you?

It is horrible to feel like that I know but it really won't last. You have done something huge and travelled across the world, one of the most stressful things you will ever do so what you are feeling is completely normal, try and go with it and hopefully each day will e brighter. For now think of this initial bit as a holiday and do somethings for yourself. It will get better.... You are most likely exhausted too... Jetlag can take this long to get over, and in a new place all the emotion can sometimes take over.

Have you been out to explore where you are? That might help to see some friendly faces and investigate what's going on around you, and let us know how you get on :-)

You should really try to focus on moving forward and enjoying this holiday/honeymoon period. Allow yourself a period say 4 weeks into the move to conider the thoughts and the feelings but until then you need to find the strength to plow through with your decision. The same strength you must have had for a long time prior to making the move. Nothing is forever, so at least enjoy what you have spent so much money planning for.

Awww i know how you feel.im very homesick too.but its just normal.you have your good and bad days.try and distract youself,thats what i do when im feeling really down.explore the city your in.Australia is a beautiful country,im always in awe with some places.hope you feel better soon hun

Hi Everyone

As I write this message I'm in tears. Is it normal one week in to possibly feel like this. I just really miss my family, friends, my home and all of the things I could easily do in the UK to cheer myself up after a bad day.

I I knew it would be hard but I didn't think I would be so upset so soon.

........homesickness.......comes and goes through life away from other places you called home....

.......anything can evoke the memory.......a food....a smell.....a call from family.....

........but when your life fills here.......with all the things you moved for.....

........it will become less frequent......

........to me the best thing is to accept the things that bring back the memories.....

........enjoy them for the joy they brought you then,..!

........and fill your....now......with things that you want to do......

........plan a future of what you came for......

.........everyday has the potential to become a good memory.........

.........I wish you luck and happiness.......in this new part of your journey.....

.........fill it with joy.......Xx

I never experienced this but I was still jet lagged n tired n stressed tryin to sort everythin out at this stage! I wouldnt worry too much abt it..hav a cry when u feel like it n once things start to settle dwn u may feel better...u could b stressed out n nt even realize it...its just coming out in tears of home..tAke time out for yourself..do something u knw u'll enjoy n dnt over think things..think abt reasons u decided to come n make most of them..in the end if its nt for you..you can go bk home wth some good memories :)

Think of it as a holiday and who doesn't love holidays? Nothing is forever, if, down the track, you're still spending more time in tears than laughing then move on. My guess is that the jet lag is getting to you and chances are it will go away fairly quickly - give it the length of a good holiday to see how you feel then. Good luck!

To be honest it really is early days. It's very likely you are emotionally and physically exhausted, and if you haven't flown much? then the long flight, jet lag, can add to all that.

I have moved house and countries many times, and it's not easy, everything can feel so alien and unfamiliar, it's just not home.

Then add in the expectation level, against the reality, and it can feel a real let down.

trust me you aren't the first to feel this way, and from my experience it should get better.

Don't be afraid to continue posting, on the whole posters will try to help.

All the best.

You have made a huge decision to move here and your emotions will be all over the place. Try to not let homesickness stop you seeing the place.

Join local facebook groups and find meet up websites and make yourself go along - we did this when we arrived in Brisbane and have met some really great people who we now see regularly. It helped massively with homesickness as we now go out with them in the evenings or we all just go to someone's house for food and drinks.

I struggled more than my husband, especially as he got a job quickly, but me getting a job helped as I could start living 'real life'. Having a routine helps.

Try looking for lots of positives, even when you are feeling down. Post on here if you feel that letting it all out will help.

xx

I've been reading this and other forums for years and in that time read countless stories of people who have moved here. I've never, ever heard of anyone being so homesick (after a week away?) that they're weeping all the time.

Despite what everyone else seems to be saying, I would say it's most definitely NOT normal.

I've been reading this and other forums for years and in that time read countless stories of people who have moved here. I've never, ever heard of anyone being so homesick (after a week away?) that they're weeping all the time.

Despite what everyone else seems to be saying, I would say it's most definitely NOT normal.

I wrote the same earlier but decided not to post as I thought I was the odd one out. I think crying for a whole week is very unusual and in real life have never come across anyone that has been like that, most are excited the first week.

OP I am wondering were you cajoled and pressured into making the move?

People are different it might not be normal to you ...but op when I left my son I felt like someone had died in my family when I arrived . I got off the plane in perth looked around and thought is this it , what's normal to one isn't normal to some one else . But I always new I was never normal :) lol , the op will be fine eventually . It will get easier , I promise , I've had a weep today lol I carnt put that on fb though my mother and son will say come home so that bits airbrushed haha . :) don't need the constant nagging though that's why I hide that from me fb lol :) but I do say I'm not living the dream and they know I'm missing home but I don't say I blart , don't even tell my hubbie I do or my kids . Lol

do something take ya mind of it like watch a movie or sort a cupboard out or sort ya wardrobe out stick on some music or something !

There was a family that made the decision to move back in a week and plenty make the decision within 3 months - often they ping pong so a really bad idea but it's more normal than you think. I am pretty sure I was crying a fair bit in my first month - it's grief for what you've left behind. When someone dies you don't think 'well they could have been on holiday for a fortnight so I won't miss them yet'.

It's because she's thinking there's no going back now ! ...I learnt to think it's not forever that's how I deal with it .

I went t out bought a load of wedding cake tins , baking stuff you name it I bought it try take me mind off ...and what a failure I was at baking cakes lol . Unless it's a Victoria sponge . But it is becus she's thinking in her mind it's final . Don't think that's it think the airports just up road it's a day away :)

People are different it might not be normal to you ...but op when I left my son I felt like someone had died in my family when I arrived . I got off the plane in perth looked around and thought is this it , what's normal to one isn't normal to some one else . But I always new I was never normal :) lol , the op will be fine eventually . It will get easier , I promise , I've had a weep today lol I carnt put that on fb though my mother and son will say come home so that bits airbrushed haha . :) don't need the constant nagging though that's why I hide that from me fb lol :) but I do say I'm not living the dream and they know I'm missing home but I don't say I blart , don't even tell my hubbie I do or my kids . Lol

do something take ya mind of it like watch a movie or sort a cupboard out or sort ya wardrobe out stick on some music or something !

But you are sad, lonely and wish you never came aren't you? I agree that it would be normal to weep when unhappy, but I didn't think that was what the OP meant by "is it normal".

I'm sad because of how it's been for me here . I'm not unhappy ...I wish I never come yes I do ...maybe that's because a lot changed since emigrating with my son having my grandson . I'm lonely yes of course I am . Would you be if ya kids r off living their own life which is fab by the way . But ya haven't seen ya hubbie for months . Well whatever the op meant does it really matter everyone is different the way they deal with things whether it's normal or not she's obviously grieving :) and when I hear my grandson say Nannie would u weep ? ...well I have a heart a big one so if that makes me unhappy because I have a weep over my grandson then so cockied be it .

Archived