How have you found the Aussies?

I left school at 16 with s--d all qualifications, don't consider myself a lesser person either Shelly.

Actually think I have more common sense than lots of better educated people, but I would never lower myself to be rude or racist, just because I am less "educated" than others. Neither do I begrudge the fact that some people had more chances than me.

I have no problem with any Australians that I know, but then I have always smiled at the world, and mostly it has smiled back at me.

Had a great lunch here yesterday with a mix of new Australians and long term ones, (all female) all joining together to celebrate the forth coming wedding of one of our friends. Ok all the rest younger than me, but no one was bothered that I am quite a bit older or was worried or cared who came from where, perhaps the secret? If you don't care or worry about it, don't put up unconscious barriers, then life might be simpler?

I turn left to my Australian neighbours, who made us welcome with a coffee on the day we moved in, or turn right to my equally friendly neighbours, all of whom we would do anything for and know it's reciprocated.

I'm also uneducated :cute: left school at 15 though I did go to night school after work in my teens to study various things. I've always had decent jobs where I was happy. In my last job I worked with a number of young people with degrees who were doing exactly the same job as me - why do they all need degrees these days to do a fairly ordinary job?

Like Ramot, found it easy to make friends and got on fine with my neighbours in Sydney - as far as I know, none of them were aggressive bullies. My neighbours here in Devonport are lovely. They were most welcoming when we arrived last year.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The British habit of running down their own country really makes me sick. I love that Australians are partriotic. Bring it on. The British have so much to be proud of, what's wrong with them that they don't shout it from the rooftops?

I'm rather contrary. I'm afraid a number of Aussies can go overboard with their patriotism. I have found especially overseas when questioned by foreigners all too many know little about Australia in retrospect some embarrassing so. Yet patriot.

Let's leave the shouting from the rooftops to those new world societies like America and Australia. Allow the UK and a lot of Europe who know their place through history and culture in the world to speak up and critique and yell and shout but knowing deep down they have the traditions and belonging without the need for crass patriotism.

The British habit of running down their own country really makes me sick. I love that Australians are partriotic. Bring it on. The British have so much to be proud of, what's wrong with them that they don't shout it from the rooftops?

I know a lot of people say that but I think differently. I don't really feel Britain run down their country. Well maybe there are a few who do it once they've moved but on the whole Id say it's the opposite

I know a lot of people say that but I think differently. I don't really feel Britain run down their country. Well maybe there are a few who do it once they've moved but on the whole Id say it's the opposite

Some do but usually in an off hand sort of way. I do find Brit's funnily enough take it les seriously than the Aussies in present times.

I have found them just the same as the people of any other country - some are really nice, some are not so great.

What is important is the attitude of the migrant/tourist, a willingness to be open, to learn new things and to accept that their new country will potentially be very different from their home country.

This...

I'm rather contrary. I'm afraid a number of Aussies can go overboard with their patriotism. I have found especially overseas when questioned by foreigners all too many know little about Australia in retrospect some embarrassing so. Yet patriot.

Let's leave the shouting from the rooftops to those new world societies like America and Australia. Allow the UK and a lot of Europe who know their place through history and culture in the world to speak up and critique and yell and shout but knowing deep down they have the traditions and belonging without the need for crass patriotism.

'Adults' usually allow their 'offspring' a little leeway as they strive to reach 'adulthood', although it becomes more difficult in 'adolescence' when your 'teenagers' start to challenge you at every opportunity. Of course, many 'parents' find it hard to 'let go' as their 'kids' reach legal 'adulthood'.

Of course, if there is one sure way to get up an Aussie's nose it is to patronise them.

Very much the case. My partner who is European finds the lack of directness compared to her culture very frustrating in the work place. I must say I am amazed at how easily people are offended here when stating an obvious truth. How many times have I and partner been called aggressive. I can only smile when I read people here as being direct and straight to the point. I don't refer to rudeness or passive/aggressive behaviour which can be rather common.

Common interests is what brings people together here or of what use one may be in the networking angle of things. Friendship few and far between.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you and and your partner ARE aggressive?

Probably because we don't need to!Australians are insecure and that comes across in OTT patriotism!Australia is a teenager compared to the rest of the world!

I left school at 16 with s--d all qualifications, don't consider myself a lesser person either Shelly.

Actually think I have more common sense than lots of better educated people, but I would never lower myself to be rude or racist, just because I am less "educated" than others. Neither do I begrudge the fact that some people had more chances than me.

I have no problem with any Australians that I know, but then I have always smiled at the world, and mostly it has smiled back at me.

Had a great lunch here yesterday with a mix of new Australians and long term ones, (all female) all joining together to celebrate the forth coming wedding of one of our friends. Ok all the rest younger than me, but no one was bothered that I am quite a bit older or was worried or cared who came from where, perhaps the secret? If you don't care or worry about it, don't put up unconscious barriers, then life might be simpler?

I turn left to my Australian neighbours, who made us welcome with a coffee on the day we moved in, or turn right to my equally friendly neighbours, all of whom we would do anything for and know it's reciprocated.

yeah me too , left school with nothing lol , mind you I did mess about , even my hubby said you can do it shell , well I know that lol but I got carried away having babies and ya do any job to look after ya family . Ya know as ya do lol . My neighbours to the right are ozzies and bought me a gift when I moved in ...and a card their son mowed my lawns ...but I get a lawn mower man in now because he's just had accident , I mowed em meself last week though lol ., because my other neighbour moaned grass blew over hers haha . But my neighbours to the right are fabbie , although a lot older than me , and I have to watch my ps and qs lol because they are born again Christians ...I did slip up once and she slapped me on my wrist oh Shelly lol , but she knows I'm full of fun , haha I went church with her once and as lovely as it was because I do believe ...they were all singing and clapping well I couldn't stop laughing I felt so uncomfortable ...I know I want hit the dance floor like but I just not use to that lol . She knows though ,she laughed because I did lol .

But it she bought me a bible for christmas , I've been hers for dinner , watched the blood moon with her and her hubbie , they pop round to me see if I'm ok , have a natter and that's lovely ....but she knows I crave a dance floor haha I said I'm going hire one for the street lol :) but she worry about me lol ...no need I'm all good lol , but she's so nice :)

Probably because we don't need to!Australians are insecure and that comes across in OTT patriotism!Australia is a teenager compared to the rest of the world!

And can you imagine how someone who considers themselves to be an adult would react to being told they are still a teenager?

How To Get On With Aussies 101: Patronise, patronise, PATRONISE!

'Adults' usually allow their 'offspring' a little leeway as they strive to reach 'adulthood', although it becomes more difficult in 'adolescence' when your 'teenagers' start to challenge you at every opportunity. Of course, many 'parents' find it hard to 'let go' as their 'kids' reach legal 'adulthood'.

Of course, if there is one sure way to get up an Aussie's nose it is to patronise them.

Aussies do a pretty fair job at patronising others themselves. Only fair we cop a bit back.

At least we are all happy in our deluded state. It makes us feel rather sad for those who are trapped in a (New) World of hate.

Hardly trapped in a new world of hate. Being deluded and happy though may well be a strategy even if unintentional that results in happiness. Others may consider it an illness of sorts none the less.

I don't think this is true. Yes we'll complain about the weather or the politics, but very rarely do I hear people saying that the UK is a sh!thole. TBH, the most I hear of that is on this forum...

And can you imagine how someone who considers themselves to be an adult would react to being told they are still a teenager?

How To Get On With Aussies 101: Patronise, patronise, PATRONISE!

Im not in the habit of saying to aussies (and my kids are aussies btw)"Australia is a teenager"MR2! I meant it in a kind of non threatening nice way,not at all patronising,which is what you assumed I was doing.That sat more about you than me!

It's interesting to see the mixed opinions on the subject.

It's only been 2 months since I arrived and in my experience I've met a mixed bunch but try not to pay attention to negativity or just give as good as I get through banter.

Was out with some ladies, three Brits and one Aussie.

The Aussie lass asked, 'What kind of guys (religion and colour wise) are you looking for.

I replied, 'There's no type, as long as the guy is nice and has a nice smile - that's great!'

She said 'Well the guys around here normally go for their own type'

(I'm mixed race, assumed as Spanish/Indian/Brazilian, so I guessed she was cursious)

I said 'In London, it's not like that and I don't go for people based on skin or religion. Just as long as their polite'.

She said, 'You might as well go back to your country'... followed by.. 'because you won't find that here'.

At first I thought she was just ignorant, then I realised throughout the night she was an extremely arrogant person.

However, friends of friends have been very welcoming and friendly. At work my colleagues have been great to chat and work with.

The one thing I notice is the Aussie's are willing to help when asked and a great laugh to be around when they're happy.

Not so pleasant when they want to find someone to be passively aggressive around.

Even though I might got get a 'good morning' back from the bus drivers in the morning, old positive habits die hard! :cute:

Good on ya Manda! :)

I used to enthuse about how everyone said thank you to bus drivers in Scotland, only to arrive in Sydney to find they also say good morning or g'day to the driver when they get on as well. Good vibes never hurt anyone.

I'm not sure where you are in Aus, but I have been very pleasantly surprised how very multi-cultural Sydney is. Much more than anywhere I've ever lived or visited, maybe even London. Doesn't mean there isn't any racism... I've mainly heard anti-Chinese comments relating to to wealthy incomers pushing up house prices since I got here, but it's pretty mild stuff so far.

Cheers

Hi Mungbean,

I'm based in Sydney, had found it more culturally diverse then I thought it would be but still not as diverse and integrated as London, which is still taking some getting use to. Growing up in an extremly diverse family and communities, it's easy to forget that in other parts of the world still have old fashioned views on social standings when it comes to racial backgrounds. It's definitely been educational.

Archived