How have you found the Aussies?

Why does it have to be a barbecues is the point I am making... Let's face it, in 1880s Australia few if any had barbecues or wore surf shirts/board shorts. Were those guys not genuine Aussies? I'm sure the first guy who ventured into the sea with a surfboard was considered unAustralian, but he did it anyway - good luck to him.

It's an evolutionary thing - if new residents want to celebrate their Australianness by playing the Eton Wall Game, eating roast goat or praying to Mecca, they should be encouraged to do so. It might catch on - AFL, cricket, and surfshirts might die out in a hundred years - who knows.

I think the first guy who went into the sea with a surfboard was from Hawaii - Duke someone? He demonstrated how to surf to the locals.

Perhaps both rugby and Aussie Rules take a little of the Eton Wall Game, and goat is certainly popular in the restaurants from the sub-continent. Cricket was imported from Britain. Surf shirts could have originated in Australia, or perhaps from California. AFL seems to be uniquely Australian although it is similar to Gaelic football.

Nobody says that immigrants can't bring their customs with them, unless they are objectionable of course. Forced marriages, female circumcision, honour killings, come to mind.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can people tell you are a pom just by looking at you from a distance ?

Must be the union jack braces.

They must have been too busy making racist comments to each other to notice the braces

Sorry for the use of red, I just wanted my response to stand out, it's not meant to be a teachers mark or any thing.

But you yourself will have to agree that racism and peoples perception of racism will come from their socio-economic group, the lower down on the scale the more likely they are to experience it and the higher up they will experience less.

You mean you can't experience prejudice if you are white? You mean that whites are always racist, and non-whites are wonderful human beings who never discriminate against other races? What examples can I think of to counter that argument? Hmmm. How about caste/tribe/religion/gender/sexual preference, all of which are dismissed because they are not examples of prejudice and racism, but 'culture.'

Maybe you are just unlucky with the racism you say you experience, well not you of course, because you are white, and whites are always the perpetuators, never the victims? Maybe you live in an area where 'difference' is seen as somewhat 'exotic?'

I live in a multi-cultural/multi-ethnic/multi religion/multi sexual preference/multi everything suburb, where nobody notices any difference, apart perhaps from the fact that the 'normal' is almost 'abnormal.'

Why would I have said that the English had a very 'island' mentality in the 1960's or 1970's, or any other age. I assume that if living on an island means you develop an 'island' mentality, then this applies to every island race on Earth? Why just pick on English speaking peoples? Then again, why would you have to live on an island to develop an 'island' mentality. Most people are proud of their history and culture. But if you are English speaking then it is something to be ashamed of. And yet the bottom line remains, that wherever the English/British go, then other races want to follow them.

Sorry for the use of red, I just wanted my response to stand out, it's not meant to be a teachers mark or any thing.

But you yourself will have to agree that racism and peoples perception of racism will come from their socio-economic group, the lower down on the scale the more likely they are to experience it and the higher up they will experience less.

I don't know whether that's true pob. I bet there are some upper class, who've gone to private schools in the UK think that India and anyone from there is there as a servant.:wink:

I think all that happens is that tradies and generally blokes when they get together (maybe women do it too when they are together?) if they are friendly and know the other blokes will say things as they feel them, without fear of upsetting anyone. I'm sure the upper classes are just the same, just that we maybe don't mix in the circles they feel comfortable in.:wink:

Why does it have to be a barbecues is the point I am making... Let's face it, in 1880s Australia few if any had barbecues or wore surf shirts/board shorts. Were those guys not genuine Aussies? I'm sure the first guy who ventured into the sea with a surfboard was considered unAustralian, but he did it anyway - good luck to him.

It's an evolutionary thing - if new residents want to celebrate their Australianness by playing the Eton Wall Game, eating roast goat or praying to Mecca, they should be encouraged to do so. It might catch on - AFL, cricket, and surfshirts might die out in a hundred years - who knows.

Absolutely. I think about a third of people living in the state of Victoria weren't born here, so I think it's entirely conceivable that they'll bring aspects of their home country cultures with them to either blend in with or even over-shadow the current cultural norms. Even now in a city like Melbourne it's hard to say what they really are. It's a multi-faith, multi-cultural city and so by extension people are doing all manner of different things with their time. Some immigrants love the Australian Rules Football, others don't care for it at all, some love a BBQ in the local park and others prefer the privacy of their own home. I don't think that that evolution process is anything to be scared of.

You mean you can't experience prejudice if you are white? You mean that whites are always racist, and non-whites are wonderful human beings who never discriminate against other races? What examples can I think of to counter that argument? Hmmm. How about caste/tribe/religion/gender/sexual preference, all of which are dismissed because they are not examples of prejudice and racism, but 'culture.'

Maybe you are just unlucky with the racism you say you experience, well not you of course, because you are white, and whites are always the perpetuators, never the victims? Maybe you live in an area where 'difference' is seen as somewhat 'exotic?'

I live in a multi-cultural/multi-ethnic/multi religion/multi sexual preference/multi everything suburb, where nobody notices any difference, apart perhaps from the fact that the 'normal' is almost 'abnormal.'

Why would I have said that the English had a very 'island' mentality in the 1960's or 1970's, or any other age. I assume that if living on an island means you develop an 'island' mentality, then this applies to every island race on Earth? Why just pick on English speaking peoples? Then again, why would you have to live on an island to develop an 'island' mentality. Most people are proud of their history and culture. But if you are English speaking then it is something to be ashamed of. And yet the bottom line remains, that wherever the English/British go, then other races want to follow them.

You do not seem to read my posts very well do you?

Or maybe my posts are a little misty?

You seem to be nit picking on who can be racists, yes any one can. I never said any different. You have plucked this little one out of the sky haven't you.

But let me spell out for you what the "Island" mentality is, you seem a little confused.

Due to it's distance from other countries and the xenophobic attitudes, the natives of this Isle have a sense of self superiority, narrow mindedness and a hostility towards foreigners that basically comes from fear.

Fear of the unknown, fear of difference and the most feared of them all change!

This is why I have likened Australians to Americans, they are both insular countries, they are also similar in may other ways too.

So would you really say that All of Australia is multi-cultural? Or would you say that only tiny parts are.

I would have to say that it only exists in tiny pockets here in Australia and the rest is just a throwback to the 1970's.

Maybe you live in a pocket of multi-culturalism, maybe you have a blinkered view of Australia?

But not everybody does. The rest of the population gets to see a very different side to the country.

I don't know whether that's true pob. I bet there are some upper class, who've gone to private schools in the UK think that India and anyone from there is there as a servant.:wink:

I think all that happens is that tradies and generally blokes when they get together (maybe women do it too when they are together?) if they are friendly and know the other blokes will say things as they feel them, without fear of upsetting anyone. I'm sure the upper classes are just the same, just that we maybe don't mix in the circles they feel comfortable in.:wink:

As I said before I am a tradie and I don't mix in high flying circles.

Maybe the racism is more veiled as you move up the socio-economic ladder? You stop hearing derogatory comments as much and it happens in more subtle ways.

To be honest I hope that as each year goes by, as more children get born into this world, racism or any kind of "ISM" starts to fade away a little more as each year passes and the children become educated.

But I can always hope for a better world carn't I.

Guest Guest55385

How do I find the Aussies? Awful. It's our main reason for leaving.

Racist. Ignorant. Uneducated. Aggressive. Unwilling to accept any constructive criticism. Bullies. Sooner stab you in the back. I could go on but I won't.

Racist. Ignorant. Uneducated. Aggressive. Unwilling to accept any constructive criticism. Bullies. Sooner stab you in the back. I could go on but I won't.

Those terrible Aussies, have to go home and tell my Australian partner who is educated at Masters level. I'll try and make my criticism non constructive so she doesn't get aggressive.

Yes of course there are people like that - they exist to a greater or lesser degree in most countries. Personally though, I didn't meet many of them either in my workplace or amongst my friends. Well, they wouldn't be my friends if they carried on like that.

I wouldn't offer "constructive criticism" aka criticism in any workplace unless I knew how it would go down or was senior enough / respected enough for it to not go down like a lead balloon...

1957 eh? Nearly 60 years ago. Whereas, on the ABC last night - on Four Corners - there was an American soldier who had been posted here, talking about how much he admired the way the Australians marked Anzac Day.

Not sure if that is something to be admired or skimmed over lightly. Others of course think the whole thing has become overdone.

You still don't get it, do you? So I'll repeat...

The topic is not whether Parkinson or Warren Mitchell or any other Pom liked/disliked Australia or wanted/didn't want to migrate.

The OP said:

Marisawright replied:

That reminded me of Parkinson saying that, as a Yorkshireman, he had a sense of familiarity with Australian bluntness.

Right...I'm off to stack 2 tons of firewood.

In the meantime, you go ahead and continue twisting other posters' comments for your own personal agenda.

I do get it but I don't see it as being overly significant.

I've actually experienced a mixed bag tbh.When I was at high school,boy oh boy did we cop some abuse!Everything from "Go back to where you belong"to "Yah pommy bitch"!Did'nt upset us though because we would usually reply "Don't insult us because actually,you're also insulting your own ancestors"lol Later in life,and obviously older,I found the rascism turned away from poms,Italians and greeks to Vietnamese.Now its aimed at usually Indians and middle eastern folk.When I return to Australia,I have found some people to be openly racists and their comments cringe worthy.

On the whole though,as an adult I have found most aussies to be friendly.Abit OTT perhaps about loving their country.I listened to a lot of radio,while I'm in Australia and also via the internet from the UK,and if I hear "Australia"mentioned one more time,I think I'll throw my radio out the bloody window! A typical ad would be something like this "In Australia,we love our galvo fencing!Its as Australian as the good old aussie meat pie!Yah see when you buy (insert company name)you know,you're buying the best quality fencing because its made right here,in Australia,by Australians,and suited for Australian weather conditions!So come on,if you need good strong,top quality fencing,do the aussie thing and buy Australian!:arghh:I have said out loud when I've been in Australia "Doh! **** I didn't know I was in Australia?Well I be ********!:laugh:

It's nearly impossible to get 'real' Aussie friends as they don't let you into their 'circles'. I don't speak about Australian acquaintances to meet from time to time for a BBQ or what ever.

I'm talking about real friendship is hard to get here. I've moved several times in my life one time from one part of my European country to the edge/border 550 km away. I found it very easy to establish new friendships there in those days but here in Australia/Adelaide impossible! Everyone seems to be so busy and self-absorbed. 'Im so busy!' is the most common sentence ever came across since I arrived in this beautiful country. In my opinion Australians are living in their own bubble.

Completely rubbish with this egalitarian thesis as here are exactly the same society classes like in every other 1st World/Western Country. It's more underneath the surface and people don't tend to show envy or resentments openly toward other people but 'the rich' live in their 'own' suburbs and drive fancy cars like in every other highly developed country.

In my work place they always carry 'the happy face' even if they are unsatisfied or actually wanted to criticize something or someone's behaviour, everything is 'great' and 'fine'. This 'sunshine' attitude makes life a little bit easier I suppose in terms of getting along well with each other, but no conflict shown on the surface is a great cultural difference where I come from where people would directly tell you what's wrong with you! Here you need fine tuned antennas to find out if a person likes you or is just friendly and polite as to everybody else.

There will be uneducated of all nationalities here doesn't make u less of a person ...really winds me up !

i mean look at me :) if u told my hubby I'm a lesser person just because I'm not educated ...he will tell u it's all bollxxxxs to put it bluntly :)

I left school at 16 with s--d all qualifications, don't consider myself a lesser person either Shelly.

Actually think I have more common sense than lots of better educated people, but I would never lower myself to be rude or racist, just because I am less "educated" than others. Neither do I begrudge the fact that some people had more chances than me.

I have no problem with any Australians that I know, but then I have always smiled at the world, and mostly it has smiled back at me.

Had a great lunch here yesterday with a mix of new Australians and long term ones, (all female) all joining together to celebrate the forth coming wedding of one of our friends. Ok all the rest younger than me, but no one was bothered that I am quite a bit older or was worried or cared who came from where, perhaps the secret? If you don't care or worry about it, don't put up unconscious barriers, then life might be simpler?

I turn left to my Australian neighbours, who made us welcome with a coffee on the day we moved in, or turn right to my equally friendly neighbours, all of whom we would do anything for and know it's reciprocated.

It's nearly impossible to get 'real' Aussie friends as they don't let you into their 'circles'. I don't speak about Australian acquaintances to meet from time to time for a BBQ or what ever.

I'm talking about real friendship is hard to get here. I've moved several times in my life one time from one part of my European country to the edge/border 550 km away. I found it very easy to establish new friendships there in those days but here in Australia/Adelaide impossible! Everyone seems to be so busy and self-absorbed. 'Im so busy!' is the most common sentence ever came across since I arrived in this beautiful country. In my opinion Australians are living in their own bubble.

Completely rubbish with this egalitarian thesis as here are exactly the same society classes like in every other 1st World/Western Country. It's more underneath the surface and people don't tend to show envy or resentments openly toward other people but 'the rich' live in their 'own' suburbs and drive fancy cars like in every other highly developed country.

In my work place they always carry 'the happy face' even if they are unsatisfied or actually wanted to criticize something or someone's behaviour, everything is 'great' and 'fine'. This 'sunshine' attitude makes life a little bit easier I suppose in terms of getting along well with each other, but no conflict shown on the surface is a great cultural difference where I come from where people would directly tell you what's wrong with you! Here you need fine tuned antennas to find out if a person likes you or is just friendly and polite as to everybody else.

Very much the case. My partner who is European finds the lack of directness compared to her culture very frustrating in the work place. I must say I am amazed at how easily people are offended here when stating an obvious truth. How many times have I and partner been called aggressive. I can only smile when I read people here as being direct and straight to the point. I don't refer to rudeness or passive/aggressive behaviour which can be rather common.

Common interests is what brings people together here or of what use one may be in the networking angle of things. Friendship few and far between.

Archived