Better life for children???

dangiles

And imagine how much worse off you would have been if you had held off buying for the past 10 years on the strength of that :wink:

There may well be an adjustment at some time. All commodities can go down in value as well as up but who can predict it accurately?

Give it a couple of years and your pick it up for a bit more than you could off 10 years ago

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people need two incomes anyway. They certainly do in the UK. A very nondescript house round here will set you back £350,000. Our 3 bed pebble dash semi has just sold for £423k which is well over $800,000. Really hard to start out but then you can pick up cheap flats (some above shops) for under £200,000. Gets you started but not great for families.

To be fair Surrey is one of the more affluent areas in the UK, you have lovely commuter towns out there, dorking, Reigate , guilford, weybridge to name a few, you have lovely country side all around and and short trip into london. The only place in Australia which is comparable to Surrey will be sydney where your 423 k won't buy you a tap. Your get a large property in queensland for your money because you won't have the trappings of surrey there.. A UK comparison to brisbane would be a small city like Cardiff where your also get a lot for your money.. Saying that I wish you well

You get a basic house where I am in brisbane for 589000 , I know because we nearly bought it . It was nothing special let me tell you ! And it wasn't whatever you may call big .

If you northlakes way yes u will get a decent plot of land and house for that . Depends where you want to buy ...actually is want to buy in fig tree pocket if I stayed in brissie ....but the house I want is 850k ...yes we can borrow it but you have still got to live ...and I'd rather live :) if me and my hubbie was on my hubbies salary and buy it though lol

To be fair Surrey is one of the more affluent areas in the UK, you have lovely commuter towns out there, dorking, Reigate , guilford, weybridge to name a few, you have lovely country side all around and and short trip into london. The only place in Australia which is comparable to Surrey will be sydney where your 423 k won't buy you a tap. Your get a large property in queensland for your money because you won't have the trappings of surrey there.. A UK comparison to brisbane would be a small city like Cardiff where your also get a lot for your money.. Saying that I wish you well

My son has a standard 3 bed semi with the small bedroom over the hall now too small to be a bedroom, apart for perhaps a small cot, because they took part of it to make a staircase to make a bedroom/bathroom in the loft, is also worth well over 400uk pds.

that's in Bristol.

Our Brisbane based son, bought last year, 4 bed detached, large'sh garden, 2 good living areas, 2 bath, study area for $540 K

Better comparison to Surrey would be our London ex council 3 bed terrace house in the scummy end of Islington, is valued at over 600ukpds, now that's a fairer comparison to Sydney.

Brisbane house, nice suburb north Brisbane, not in North lakes.

When I go round the houses cleaning ...some I think when I first walk in ...yea in like it ...I could live in this ...around the 550 600 mark ...weeks later I'm still going in cleaning and thinking I'm bored of this house now ..I'm fed up of it lol

i go to a Chinese couple 7 bathrooms I have to clean ...now they are living the dream ...boat waterfront house . And they treat me really well ...I would have the Chinese anyday of the week from my experience here . Go to a pom and they expect 3 hrs for the price of two cheeky ! And some ozzies say can you just do this ...well I do it out of curtesy but actually I'm thinking it's extra time .

I did did give a girl a extra 2 hrs yesterday for free she's a Ozzie but got cancer of kidneys age 29 I was there 4 but the cancer charity will only pay for two . I did it because cleaners who r going in are leaving after a hr and half ...and her blinds needed doing so I did them for her . So I've told her next time to tell the cleaner you want ya full 2 hrs if you don't tell them I will :)

My son has a standard 3 bed semi with the small bedroom over the hall now too small to be a bedroom, apart for perhaps a small cot, because they took part of it to make a staircase to make a bedroom/bathroom in the loft, is also worth well over 400uk pds.

that's in Bristol.

Our Brisbane based son, bought last year, 4 bed detached, large'sh garden, 2 good living areas, 2 bath, study area for $540 K

Better comparison to Surrey would be our London ex council 3 bed terrace house in the scummy end of Islington, is valued at over 600ukpds, now that's a fairer comparison to Sydney.

Brisbane house, nice suburb north Brisbane, not in North lakes.

A house price has a lot to do with location as well, your son who lives in Bristol will be im guessing close to the cbd, close to shops, motorways , trainstation etc etc. Your other son who lives in a bigger house costing less will probably be a lot further out of the cbd meaning having to drive everywhere to get the same, a house close to brisbane CBD will cost you a million dollars so I'm guessing your son is 30kms out.

regrads to high prices in London, it's the capital of the world which brisbane and sydney are not

A house price has a lot to do with location as well, your son who lives in Bristol will be im guessing close to the cbd, close to shops, motorways , trainstation etc etc. Your other son who lives in a bigger house costing less will probably be a lot further out of the cbd meaning having to drive everywhere to get the same, a house close to brisbane CBD will cost you a million dollars so I'm guessing your son is 30kms out.

regrads to high prices in London, it's the capital of the world which brisbane and sydney are not

Brisbane house 18 miles CBD Nothing like 30, close to Gympie rd, then access to North and South, 18 miles to International airport, closer to railway line, but takes it seems ages to get into Brisbane, served by buses even. Shops close, eg good old wooly's, Coles and Aldi. Large supermarkets closer than to Bristol house, but that house has more village type shops.

buses near Bristol house, but they know how to charge, last time I caught a bus from Cribbs causeway I said I only wanted a single, thinking it had to be the return price and it went all round the houses, so for a family of 4 Much easier to drive, and strangely enough my son's family drive everywhere.

bristol house near M4 good accsess to North and South etc, Bristol airport 12 miles away but hardly international. No near local railway station, but not near the route into Bristol.

I just thought I 'd mention the stupidly high price of our very modest London house in need of updating in a scummy area, just in case posters were out of touch with London prices.

And imagine how much worse off you would have been if you had held off buying for the past 10 years on the strength of that :wink:

There may well be an adjustment at some time. All commodities can go down in value as well as up but who can predict it accurately?

Absolutely. My house is worth more than I paid but less than it was say 12 months ago. I am not in denial about the possibility of the house prices going down I just don't think there will be the spectacular crash that the doom-mongers are hoping for.

I'm not a doom monger waiting for a crash ....I'm being sensible ....and yes I have that in me believe it or not lol ....I can compose myself when I want ...when it's appropriate to do so ...but it carnt be serious all the time that drives me nuts ! ....I hope it is just a correction for many people ....And if ya going live in it until you die It won't make much differance anyway ...aslong as you can afford the repayments when the interest rates rise again eventually . I'm not waiting for a crash ...do people really believe people would want move out here for that to happen ? I know I'm hoping for a miricale ..but I'm still aware of the possibilities ...better than how I type them on here lol

When I go round the houses cleaning ...some I think when I first walk in ...yea in like it ...I could live in this ...around the 550 600 mark ...weeks later I'm still going in cleaning and thinking I'm bored of this house now ..I'm fed up of it lol

i go to a Chinese couple 7 bathrooms I have to clean ...now they are living the dream ...boat waterfront house . And they treat me really well ...I would have the Chinese anyday of the week from my experience here . Go to a pom and they expect 3 hrs for the price of two cheeky ! And some ozzies say can you just do this ...well I do it out of curtesy but actually I'm thinking it's extra time .

I did did give a girl a extra 2 hrs yesterday for free she's a Ozzie but got cancer of kidneys age 29 I was there 4 but the cancer charity will only pay for two . I did it because cleaners who r going in are leaving after a hr and half ...and her blinds needed doing so I did them for her . So I've told her next time to tell the cleaner you want ya full 2 hrs if you don't tell them I will :)

7 bathrooms!!! :shocked: No wonder they need you to help with the cleaning.

Sorry meant to say 4 miles

Research house prices 4 miles out of brisbane and your find there be750000 plus.. Your son has a bigger cheaper house because he lives 2.5 times further out o the cbd than his brother.. It's not all about the house size

Absolutely. My house is worth more than I paid but less than it was say 12 months ago. I am not in denial about the possibility of the house prices going down I just don't think there will be the spectacular crash that the doom-mongers are hoping for.

It's not even started yet

Research house prices 4 miles out of brisbane and your find there be750000 plus.. Your son has a bigger cheaper house because he lives 2.5 times further out o the cbd than his brother.. It's not all about the house size

Whoops sorry out of date, last house sold in my Bristol son's street sept 2014 was 475 k UK pds. Still talking small 1939's extended semi, an almost identical house, also the garages are too small for a modern car.

Both houses are walking distance to a good primary school, but Bristol son is already finding his house cramped with 2 growing boys, so perhaps further out cheaper and larger bigger garden is more sensible?

Whoops sorry out of date, last house sold in my Bristol son's street sept 2014 was 475 k UK pds. Still talking small 1939's extended semi, an almost identical house, also the garages are too small for a modern car.

Both houses are walking distance to a good primary school, but Bristol son is already finding his house cramped with 2 growing boys, so perhaps further out cheaper and larger bigger garden is more sensible?

475 k for a semi in Bristol... ? That's dearer than the South East

475 k for a semi in Bristol... ? That's dearer than the South East

Yes for an area with a village feel that's what you pay, I have just googled his street sold prices, as he had told me what they were selling for and to be honest I thought he was being optimistic.

Obviously there are cheaper areas

Thank you every one for your opinions, be it positive or negative about migrating to Australia. I think we probably are a little crazy for wanting to. We both have good jobs, a lovely house (with a mortgage we can afford), nice car, holidays, etc, etc. lots of family and friends around us. But there is still the feeling we would be happier in Australia. We will never know unless we try.

My wife works for a company that has an office in Melbourne, there may be an opportunity for a transfer next year as they will be launching a project that she heads up in the UK. It would give us a lot more security, not to mention the possible relocation package.

Well go for it and see how you go, atleast you have the security of a job and relocation package. A lot of us who migrate could only dream for that certainty.

Archived