Kiwi living in Aus wanting to move "home" to the UK

kiwiathome

Haha yes I was a bit if a wild child back in my day lol ...thing is ya kid and u don't know what ya wanted at that age it was just fun lol ...my hubby came after me when my boy was 6 week old ...I'd dumped the bilogical father when I was pregnant lol ...he's dead now died of a overdose at 26 yrs old ...yes my hubbie 1in a million lol 24 yrs married this yr coming up ....yes when I eat gluten tummy blows up ...really sore ...like stinging pain carnt explain ...go tired and feel sick so I avoid it mostly ...had a scan on gallbladder fine ...got go for endoscopy and colonoscopy wen I decide lol ....no my hubbie not in mines in oiil and gas ...........yes most people need vodka keep up with me lol not tea or wine lol ....wow u have been through the mill a bit ...glad u av it sorted now :):) I will book in for them tests thanku :):)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to hear biological dad died at age 26. v young, everyone deserve a chance, that sad. Glad u happy with your hubby. You not heard half what I been through, but not really matter. Thing is we all look after ourselves, keep striving, get health checks, and never give up.

You go and get an endoscopy, colonoscopy, blood tests, and Hida scan. Why not? u important and only have one body. Go look after it. I am a secret "health junkie" wanted to be a doctor. Never mind. Lets all listen out to what our bodies are telling us. Book your tests. V hope you get great results and all good. Remember some people are lactose intolerant if nothing shows up. or could be as simple as stress, or another "physical factor" like a blockage. But if u think something not right, investigate. Good Luck.

Sad to hear biological dad died at age 26. v young, everyone deserve a chance, that sad. Glad u happy with your hubby. You not heard half what I been through, but not really matter. Thing is we all look after ourselves, keep striving, get health checks, and never give up.

You go and get an endoscopy, colonoscopy, blood tests, and Hida scan. Why not? u important and only have one body. Go look after it. I am a secret "health junkie" wanted to be a doctor. Never mind. Lets all listen out to what our bodies are telling us. Book your tests. V hope you get great results and all good. Remember some people are lactose intolerant if nothing shows up. or could be as simple as stress, or another "physical factor" like a blockage. But if u think something not right, investigate. Good Luck.

Sad yes I didn't wish him dead ...but I'd been married 5 yrs , and he took his own life not cus of me though , he was with someone else but he was a heavy drinker too ...anyway glad ya better , yes I'll get the tests ...sorry if didn't reply straight away was on phone to hubbie ...right then good night and all the best with uk and let us know how u get on too :):)

Non-selective state schools in UK cities are terrible, your children will learn more about fighting than any school subject. I had to bunk off just to learn anything - the irony!

Private schools are amongst the best in the world.

So really it depends on if you mind paying or not. Honestly, I would not send a child to non-selective state school in the UK having experienced it myself.

Hi Kiwiinaus,

With regard to women who've sacrificed for their families being able to have it all; you are absolutely right!

I left school at 16 years old. Didn't start my Degree until 36 years old. Similar reasons to yours.

Now 60 years old, a qualified and experienced teacher, qualified and experienced Counsellor, qualified and experienced hairdresser (only began training for that 7 years ago). Currently running my own salon and looking for the next intellectual challenge.

God bless you. Never give up!

For all that, I do have trouble getting my posts and especially my replies to 'take' on this computer.

Edited by Snotty

Non-selective state schools in UK cities are terrible, your children will learn more about fighting than any school subject. I had to bunk off just to learn anything - the irony!

So really it depends on if you mind paying or not. Honestly, I would not send a child to non-selective state school in the UK having experienced it myself.

I suppose it depends on the area - they can't all be terrible surely.

You learn to keep away from the rough at school , I got caned and the blackboard rubber thrown at me lol , and the ruler across my knuckles , but not for fighting I was never like that ...it was for chewing or being in non school uniform or having makeup on lol ....still would go back tomorrow ..if I could lol ....I was never a naughty kid never got in trouble or anything just cheeky ...funnie , and I'll still say it's what the kids put in ...my hubbie has worked with privately educated people and yes they have the degree at a great uni ..but the things they actually knew were limited ....in his field ...it is what the child puts in ...but my husband says aswell he agrees with people to a degree he probably will be in a minority :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo

Wow Snotty that sounds wonderful. Someone could come and visit you for a chat and get their hair done at the same time! Leave feeling beautiful on the inside and the outside!

I think now we have to consider going back to England earlier than planned to work around this 3 years of residency before University. The timing would be great actually as we are released from our mortgage at the end of the year and can sell

up and leave. My hubby has even started looking into the flying opportunities and we would hope to be based around Gatwick, where a little milder and warmer??

So, my question is to the comment re state schools being no good. If you pay for a private school the thinking would be yes it has to be better. Do teachers prefer to work at private schools and do they get an easier time from the children, better

resources to work with and more support from other staff? However as said above there must be many good state schools out there because in the "better" areas people still expect a good state school. If the parents are interested, the teachers

are interested, surely a state school would be supported by fundraising etc the good old PTA and general support from parents and the expectations from parents, must result in a decent school?

And what is meant by "non-selective state schools" please??

Wow Snotty that sounds wonderful. Someone could come and visit you for a chat and get their hair done at the same time! Leave feeling beautiful on the inside and the outside!

I think now we have to consider going back to England earlier than planned to work around this 3 years of residency before University. The timing would be great actually as we are released from our mortgage at the end of the year and can sell

up and leave. My hubby has even started looking into the flying opportunities and we would hope to be based around Gatwick, where a little milder and warmer??

So, my question is to the comment re state schools being no good. If you pay for a private school the thinking would be yes it has to be better. Do teachers prefer to work at private schools and do they get an easier time from the children, better

resources to work with and more support from other staff? However as said above there must be many good state schools out there because in the "better" areas people still expect a good state school. If the parents are interested, the teachers

are interested, surely a state school would be supported by fundraising etc the good old PTA and general support from parents and the expectations from parents, must result in a decent school?

And what is meant by "non-selective state schools" please??

I think it means the local comprehensive schools.

I think it means the local comprehensive schools.

The vast majority of state schools are 'non-selective', a few LEA's have retained the archaic 1960s Grammar school system, that was supposed to increases social mobility but was proven to do the absolute opposite (I'm not saying there weren't individual success stories) most though now have Comprehensive schools which take children of all abilities.

Not all comprehensives are equal though and ability to pay figures highly in getting your child into a good school - not school fees but house prices. There is a very well performing High School near us and the average price for a house in the catchment area is £125k more.

Desirable comprehensives also 'select' out of area applicants so are not truly non-selective and of course their results then get artificially inflated. Nothing to do with how 'good' the school is - if anything the best teachers tend to work in the 'worst' schools.

Great to get all the info on schools.

My hubby looked into some airline jobs and there is not a lot of options in UK at the moment, plus he has a big payout due next year with his work that we have been waiting six years for. In my heart I would get up and go now, but I think this is a good lesson that some times you just need to sit back and wait a little longer. It has to be right for all four of us.

Probably back to the original plan of leaving end of 2017. This would mean I think my youngest (year 5 just turned 10) would be in first year of high school? As for me eldest it would be a hard time for her to go now with this GSCE (have I said that right).

An opportunity might come up out of the blue in UK, you never know. But I think rushing because of my daughter and her university needs is not enough of a reason to completely change the plan. We will either have to suck it up and pay international fees, or she works/travels for 3 years first as someone previously suggested, or she can apply for scholarships. (yes she is top academically and works hard and loves learning). But that would be her choice, not ours to pressure.

Is there ever a right time to change countries? Probably not. But I think this forum has helped me realise there is so much to consider and rushing might spell disaster.

My hubby looked into some airline jobs and there is not a lot of options in UK at the moment, plus he has a big payout due next year with his work that we have been waiting six years for.

The other hard thing to consider is that even if your husband is a captain, it's not easy to get a direct entry captain's job when changing airlines, not easy to go back to being a first officer for a lot less pay.

Hello ramot

"Good luck with that, my husband was RAF, then commercial till he retired after flying for 40+ years, we went where the work was.

Unless you are very lucky the airline industry is very fickle, either recruiting or firing going from boom to bust frequently, hence all the constant moving

I gave up counting house moves after 17, there was no point, I have the traipsing t-shirt, we didn't settle or stop moving till he retired, but all 3 of ours ended up doing ok despite the disruption to their schooling, but we had some great times, and lived in places we had never thought we would."

I agree, I traipsed before I met my husband. Then I traipsed again. The airline industy is unstable and not the glorified industry others might think. What is your story? How has it worked out for you?

We are at set criteria it takes x, y and z for us to move. However at the end of 2017, we are moving back to UK no matter what. Gives my hubby time. Gives me hope.

Rushed that reply, sorry, had kids calling me. Where do you currently live? Is your hubby still retired? Are you in the UK?

If you don't mind, you sound like you have a story to tell and knowledge. Can you please tell where you are now and how it worked out?

I know, once they are captains, they do not go back to first officers. Airline pilots very ambitious etc. I am sure this spills over into other careers. Am still waiting, has anyone recently left Australia for UK and what do they think?

Rushed that reply, sorry, had kids calling me. Where do you currently live? Is your hubby still retired? Are you in the UK?

If you don't mind, you sound like you have a story to tell and knowledge. Can you please tell where you are now and how it worked out?

I know, once they are captains, they do not go back to first officers. Airline pilots very ambitious etc. I am sure this spills over into other careers. Am still waiting, has anyone recently left Australia for UK and what do they think?

live on the Sunshine Coast, my husband retired 12 years ago, moved here from Brunei, where he last worked for Royal Brunei, great experience.

we decided to retire to OZ and have a bit more adventure while we were still young enough, this was our time to do exactly what we wanted to do, then decide later on if we wanted to stay, have no desire to return to UK at all even though our 2 grandchildren are there.

haven't lived in UK for 22 years now and as our other 2 children have moved here since we came, more reason to stay put.

Hello everyone.

Like many of the others posted on this forum, just wondering what returning to the UK is like after years on this side of the ditch?

I left for the UK with my new husband at age 28, Dublin then Hertfordshire. 6 happy years. Then returned to NZ due to the "guilt gland"

of pressure by grandparents once family started. We had one daughter born in UK. Then next daughter in NZ, staying for 5 years.

6 years ago we left NZ for Aus for my husbands career and more opportunity. Well, we missed England, but NZ was OK. But Aus, we

have never really settled and long for England or NZ. Contemplating moving back to UK as we are at a crossroads in our life, and now would

be a good time to move.

I miss from UK the seasons; beautiful memories of evening walks and seeing blossom and autumn leaves, excitement of snow in winter. Hot

chocolate, rolling hills of green, open space and walks rugged up, family pubs where you went out to enjoy a family meal and appreciate wine

and food and good conversation, architecture, culture, theatre, Europe!

The easiest and best friends I have ever made were in England, followed by NZ. Not Australia at all. Above all else just the constant heat

and natural disasters, mozzies, flies and very bad impatient drivers is a struggle. Just wondering what others think and has returning to the

UK been a great experience?

Thank you. Look forward to comments. Louise.

Sorry to hear this... But I would think very hard about the move back to the uk. I would seriously NOT come back to the uk. It is a sespit I would take your rose tinted glasses off and stay where you are... I don't mean to appear rude in anyway at all but this country has gone down the pan so much... they call australia the lucky country for a reason Don't make the mistake by returning to the uk it has not a great deal to offer anymore unfortunately

We were in the Sunshine Coast ramot, just moved down to Mango Hill, Redcliffe area so we could lose the dreaded "Bruce Highway".

OK Splash 77 you have fogged my rose tinted glasses and made me worried. I think Aus has gone down the pan! Such strong words, why do you think UK is a sespit??? Have you lived in other countries? Is this a recent view?

We were in the Sunshine Coast ramot, just moved down to Mango Hill, Redcliffe area so we could lose the dreaded "Bruce Highway".

OK Splash 77 you have fogged my rose tinted glasses and made me worried. I think Aus has gone down the pan! Such strong words, why do you think UK is a sespit??? Have you lived in other countries? Is this a recent view?

I agree life is tough for a lot of people in the UK and in particular, due to radical changes in how benefits are calculated, those who need to rely on welfare support. There have never been so many food banks feeding so many people struggling to make ends meet. The ripples of the 2008 global financial crisis continue to be felt, and all public services are facing cuts of some kind or another as government austerity measures continue to bite. But there are some tentative signs of recovery http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10612209

And fwiw I am not aware of a cesspit society! I am happy to live here, and as far as I know none of my family or friends are desperate to escape either. People still go out to restaurants, go to the theatre, take holidays, move house, change cars…..all the routine stuff of day to day life. We regularly walk the dog on the beach and it always seems busy with families of all ages – well rugged up this time of the year, but seemingly happy while out and about.

Some areas of the UK are struggling more than others though, and even a 30 minute drive down the road could be hugely significant in terms of life style and quality of life. But even that has a plus side - you don't have to move huge distances to find a location that may suit you better if you initially make a mistake. We relocated within the UK and have never regretted it. T x

My hubby looked into some airline jobs and there is not a lot of options in UK at the moment, plus he has a big payout due next year with his work that we have been waiting six years for. In my heart I would get up and go now, but I think this is a good lesson that some times you just need to sit back and wait a little longer. It has to be right for all four of us.

Probably back to the original plan of leaving end of 2017. This would mean I think my youngest (year 5 just turned 10) would be in first year of high school? As for me eldest it would be a hard time for her to go now with this GSCE (have I said that right).

An opportunity might come up out of the blue in UK, you never know. But I think rushing because of my daughter and her university needs is not enough of a reason to completely change the plan. We will either have to suck it up and pay international fees, or she works/travels for 3 years first as someone previously suggested, or she can apply for scholarships. (yes she is top academically and works hard and loves learning). But that would be her choice, not ours to pressure.

Is there ever a right time to change countries? Probably not. But I think this forum has helped me realise there is so much to consider and rushing might spell disaster.

Hi

I am Australian (Western Queensland) who has moved to UK three times and now permanently. All quite some time ago I am afraid. When I have time I will post a longer more helpful post! Just wanted you to know. Go for it. If things work for you in the UK you can do very well and have a great life. Have done both private and selected Government schools here so have some thoughts. You probably should consider Kent as it has grammar schools and nearish Gatwick. Sorry for rush. x

Would love to hear your story. Permanently in the UK, please tell me what it is like. I am interested in private and government schools, and now university. We will be visiting next year and having a look at universities.

To various above who are a bit down on UK, and even who support Aus, guess what, every country has good and every country has bad! Does it not really come down to where you choose to live in each country, and how you cope with the bad and seek out the good!?

Yes I am sure there a rough parts of the UK and could be better etc. But, move to a nicer part with more sunshine or whatever you are searching for! So what if it is two bedrooms but UK has soooo much to offer as soooo many people has sad.

And yes parts of Australia do have so much to offer. I went for a walk the other day at Redcliffe, Suttons Beach (North Brisbane, Queensland to those who do not know) and it was beautiful. And I thought, yup I get it, why a small minority want to live here

and think this is the promised land!

But I still think there are more negatives outweighing the positives. Since I have lived here, into my 7th year, the government has had more ups and downs than a see saw in the park! Seriously! I find people sad here, not social, hiding behind doors and coping with a "very expensive cost of living". Add on natural disasters, extreme heat and many weird and dangerous animals.

The Sunshine Coast, yes parts are beautiful. I lived there. Yes, the Gold Coast fun to visit. Yes I have visited.

Guess what, do not visit the Gold Coast anymore. Crime is beyond belief. Stabbings! Maybe we beat out USA.! Sunshine Coast! Do you know there is a serious bikie "drug" problem (like Gold Coast) and Sunshine Coast has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country!! I lived in Caloundra, and time and time again the food banks were being stretched, people were desperate, no jobs!

Certain parts of every country are hard. Including Australia. Maybe even more in Australia, because recently, costs keep going up, crime keeps going up, unemployment keeps going up and the government, well, does the rest of the world laugh at Australia when we can not even keep a permanent or stable "man in charge" (or women of course)!

Oh I am still going please bear with me. Experiences!

Moved to UK on my honeymoon (did not quite have), but, thought oh I am sure will love UK and I do have Irish and Scottish ancestory. My newly wed hubby left, I followed. But guess what! I had never found people so nice, inviting, friendly, and made great friends in England. Moved back NZ, still nice, and included family, very liveable, but still not as friendly as UK! Came to Australia, career prospects for my hubby, fair enough!

]

Guess what, still waiting for the friendliness or any kind of social contact.! nearly 7 years later!

Totally agree with you kiwiinaus! My husband & I are in the process of moving to the UK in the next few years (fingers crossed! ). A few ppl have told us how awful it is over there & how 'everyone' over there wants to come here, but we have family in the UK who love it. They aren't struggling & are happy :) Everyone is different at the end of the day & we all want different things :)