Kiwi living in Aus wanting to move "home" to the UK

kiwiathome

my opinion of oz education is very high. as a teacher who has taught in both oz & the uk i believe the oz system of providing students with a conceptual understanding of why things are they way they are is far better. the uk system is based on learning by rote to pass a test to ensure the school doesnt lose funding. its a pity more parents dont understand the advantages meaning learning provides students.

I find the contrary based on the standard of recently finished uni students that used to come to our organisation to claim registration. Conceptual understanding wasn't immediately forthcoming nor was questioning apparent.

I don't wish to compare to UK where I have no recent knowledge but very different from say Germany, where we did in fact have a couple of students come to do a practical and where full of questions and had a directness which was to me welcoming.

Of course they are not bad but a little passive but with certainly high expectations. Other areas may of course differ.

Edited by flag of convenience

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment Booma. Can I ask where in Australia you have taught? I have heard even from some Australians and certainly some kiwis that Queensland lags behind the rest of Australia for education. Obviously the change to bring forward the start of high school will help this.

I am a little worried about the fact we have to reside in the UK for 3 years before my eldest can do uni. No way do we want to pay international fees. I am going to check this out. Our plan was to start looking into England this year, visit next year, move the following year with the plan she had a small gap year from Dec until Sept. I really do not think having to wait 3 years once over there for her to start is a good idea. So we might have to leave this year!?

I have been here for six years now, and am getting no closer to wanting to live here. I would go back to NZ in a flash but I am the only one out of four! Next best thing for me is return to England that we are all keen on. I just find Australia so different to NZ and England, and I feel like an outsider here.

Have traipsed around hubby for his career our entire married life and am really wanting to have a say now in where we live. Also my eldest daughter is so excited to have a chance to see the country where she was born and live there, and see where her grandparents and family are from.

i normally teach in the nsw system but am on exchange in the act at the current time. all states have their own curriculums but seem to follow similar teaching fundamentals. i say this due to discussions with teachers from other states and similarities between nsw & act. teachers at different schools are what make them good or not in my opinion so perhaps your experience in qld is more about the teachers your children have had & less about the curriculum.

i agree that a move sooner rather than later to the uk sounds best if you are sure you want to move.

I find the contrary based on the standard of recently finished uni students that used to come to our organisation to claim registration. Conceptual understanding wasn't immediately forthcoming nor was questioning apparent.

I don't wish to compare to UK where I have no recent knowledge but very different from say Germany, where we did in fact have a couple of students come to do a practical and where full of questions and had a directness which was to me welcoming.

Of course they are not bad but a little passive but with certainly high expectations. Other areas may of course differ.

you cant judge an education system on such as small sample. but I have no wish to discuss this topic further. its a lovely day outside & i am going out to enjoy it.

I think it's the domestic fees that are £9,000 a year - the international fees would be much more.

Yes, when we looked into it for our daughter it was something like 25,000 pounds per year for international fees, plus no eligibility to a student loan so everything has to be paid up front.

To the OP - if your daughter wants to go to Uni in the UK I would look into this very carefully as otherwise you would leave yourself open to some very high costs. I think also there is something about being "resident in the UK for the three years prior for reasons other than education" but you could contact individual Unis for more information.

Do you all also have UK passports/citizenship? I know it has recently been made a lot harder for a UK citizen to move back to the UK with an Aussie husband/wife/partner so it might be the same if one of you only has NZ passport?

Have traipsed around hubby for his career our entire married life and am really wanting to have a say now in where we live.

Good luck with that, my husband was RAF, then commercial till he retired after flying for 40+ years, we went where the work was.

Unless you are very lucky the airline industry is very fickle, either recruiting or firing going from boom to bust frequently, hence all the constant moving

I gave up counting house moves after 17, there was no point, I have the traipsing t-shirt, we didn't settle or stop moving till he retired, but all 3 of ours ended up doing ok despite the disruption to their schooling, but we had some great times, and lived in places we had never thought we would.

Hope it all works out.

I can only talk about the schools my kids went to. One of them ( the youngest because we were wealthier by that time and she got a 1/2 scholarship) went to PLC in Melbourne. It reminded me heavily of my old grammar school in SE London except the equipment was far better. The curriculum was very, very similar and the teachers were really top notch. Another school that was good that another daughter went to was Fintona - easily up there with the British grammar schools of the 1960s/70s too. Interesting that there were quite a few British teachers at both schools at the time- maybe they had a lot of input into the curriculum?

Hi guys,

I've taught for many years in public and private schools in Australia and the UK. So far as my experience goes, the quality of education is the same, however, while the behaviour of students generally, here and there has deteriorated over the years, the behaviour of UK students was far worse.

Kiwiinaus, you are under a misapprehension if you truly believe you get a different quality of education by paying for it. All teachers are trained in exactly the same way. A teacher of any quality may get a job in a private or a public school. The quality of the teaching depends entirely on the talent, knowledge and conscientiousness or lack thereof, of the particular teacher. Furthermore, my experience of private schools has been that the main difference lies in the enforced 'fixing' of marks to reflect a false level of achievement by students and impress parents to maintain the numbers and therefore, the income to the schools.

Round here they all say the discipline is better in the private schools. Not that there is much of a problem anyway- especially compared with some of the tough British schools which I was familiar with (used to teach aeons ago). As one rather snobby person remarked - you are 'buying' a certain peer group with private schools. God forbid!!!

Never lived in Kent Snotty or lived in Vic or WA.I lived in Sth Aust,and could not fault the girls school there.Mine however?hahaha I went to both primary and high schools in SA (which was quite a while ago)and boy the high school?More like a holiday camp tbh!Some of the teachers there were "forward thinking"and lets just say bludging was an understatement!:laugh:I went to an open plan HS,and it didn't do us any favours.Too many distractions.Shame Snotty about your long posts,would of been interesting to read more of your thoughts.

Never lived in Kent Snotty or lived in Vic or WA.I lived in Sth Aust,and could not fault the girls school there.Mine however?hahaha I went to both primary and high schools in SA (which was quite a while ago)and boy the high school?More like a holiday camp tbh!Some of the teachers there were "forward thinking"and lets just say bludging was an understatement!:laugh:I went to an open plan HS,and it didn't do us any favours.Too many distractions.Shame Snotty about your long posts,would of been interesting to read more of your thoughts.

My OH went to an open plan high school in Adelaide with some forward thinking teachers as well. He did okay but recognises that he may have done better in a more structured environment. My eldest is now going to the same school and things have certainly changed somewhat in the teaching approach, if not in the buildings themselves (although less open plan now).

Woe is you! You've inspired me to try one more time! Let's see if I can remember what I wrote. It wont be as good but here goes:-

I grew up in Sydney, so have experience of their education system too.

What I think I said was, a parent's view of a particular school depends upon what the parent expects from the school. Some parents value educational achievement, some, sporting achievement, some, the facilities provided, and some dont' "give a rat's", so long as their child is off the streets and supervised for the day. I dont' for one second, mean to imply that you are the latter.

Furthermore, I believe a teacher's perspective differs from that of a parent. We see 'behind the scenes'. Our opinion of a particular school may depend on whether or not we are physically attacked by the students, or it may be coloured by the overall philosophy of the Head Teacher with regard to how the school is run. It may even come down to how many students show willing to learn.

I'll stick my neck out and go so far as to say, allowing for differences in individual ability, a student's achievement at any school depends, not on whether the school is private or public, nor in which country it is situated but largely on the attitude of the parents to education.

Not sure whether I'm being helpful or just having a little rant lol

my opinion of oz education is very high. as a teacher who has taught in both oz & the uk i believe the oz system of providing students with a conceptual understanding of why things are they way they are is far better. the uk system is based on learning by rote to pass a test to ensure the school doesnt lose funding. its a pity more parents dont understand the advantages meaning learning provides students.

As a parent that would absolutely be my observation as well - the obsession with league tables in the UK has destroyed the education system.

As said in an earlier post my son's teachers and head at his new school now we are back in the UK noticed that he is different from his peers in a very positive way and the head also commented on his self-assurance, which I believe also comes from how he was educated in Australia.

Thankfully he goes to a school where the ethos is more akin to his Australian school but we had to work hard to find one and are paying for the privilege - you might be interested in an article written by the head

http://www.cliftonhall.com/heads-blog/education-must-be-about-more-than-achieving-the-right-grades/

(You can see why he was very interested to talk to me about our son's education in Australia)

Great to hear the opinions. I have done the research and it is absolutely true that you have to reside 3 years in the UK prior to University or pay international fees. Peculiar, but true. So the fact my daughter was born in the UK but we left when she was 3, means we have to now be thinking "oh what do we do?" I have to admire a 14 year old who is so determined she is only going to University in the UK because that is her home, good education, and that is that! I guess some parents fight for their child to attempt University, so can I really complain? My hubby goes "oh, I would prefer to go back to the UK in tow years time" . Oh, oh. The reality of life is, their is time limits and sometimes you need to deal with the reality. If we need to go back earlier to get our child into University by age 17/18, why not???? We have years as adults, but one chance to get if right for our children. Thrown into the mix as I have said, on one in my family wants to return to NZ. I would. It is better for us (maybe not others), but we are all willing to go to England. And guess what, my youngest has just turned 10, bless her, and she is going to go to university as well! And she like me has the fair skin, blue eyes, and irish colouring, and poor lovely child, I stopped her playing netball this year due to the constant sunburn in Queensland.!:wink:

Evening Snotty

So glad you put your opinion in. Well done to you and to every teacher out there. I am a trained teacher aide, was going to fully train as a teacher, but stopped once I stepped inside a classroom. I admire any teacher who puts their time, effort and soul into teaching/helping children, am sure it is one of the hardest jobs out there. I personally can be a perfectionist and expect the best for my children. I want my children to exceed, have the best opportunities and the best education in order for them to have a reasonably peaceful existence and OK time in this future hard universe. Now I am not any dummy, but gave up my career for my husband. Long haul airline pilot very ambitious. I choose to marry him, have two children, and now stand by my decision of the

past and try and make the best for all of them. It does not mean however now that I am in my early forties, I can't say, hay, my time now! Still want the best for you, but women in their forties who have put their families first can now have what they want out of life. Never too late! And, I still think my hubby is wonderful!

Hi kiwi aus , I understand you and admire ya for saying my daughter wants go to uni at 14 and 10 yrs old and admire you want the best for ya kids ...my husband would 100 percent agree on the uni part ....now my kids were the same ...want go un I...my eldest did ...got half way through and could not hack the course ...my husband was doing the work for him in the end until he had a word and said look ya not cut out for it ...he's still fine though well spoken , articulate , selfish lol he's a policeman now ...and it suits him ...my middle one wanted uni ...then decided he didn't my hubbie is soooo disappointed in him cus he's got what it takes ...now he's 22 nearly ...nothing's too late but time is ticking ...but he's saying he doesn't want go and we can not force him too .

My my youngest not made up his mind ...he's a cutie we will see ...

I'm just saying kids change when they older ...my hubbie had high hopes ...too ...and I'm still proud of them anyway they are my kids and things could of been a whole lot worse . I'm also in my early forties and think my hubbies wonderful lol :)

Oh Hello Shellybingobingo, quite a complicated username at this time of night and especially after two glasses of wine. I actually just joined this forum to say "Hey I am over living in Australia for 6 years, hate it, is it my time to take a stand?!"

Interesting discussions that have evolved. I am complaining a little, and possibly upsetting the applecart, but that is more due to the fact my girls are now older, I am more confident, I know I want to be "settled" way before 50 and I finally feel

I can stand up to my mother in law!@ Does anybody else feel by the time the get over 43 its now or never!???

I think every kid should hopefully be supported by their parents and have the right to a university education. But not always the case. A kid who is not cut out for uni may excel greatly in other areas and do so well as well. More than just an education.

Honesty, integrity, being able to treat a woman right and nice and care for children.. Soo important. The best thing you have done as a mum is say "I'm still proud of them anyway" . Well done you. we can't control everything and the fact you care

and are proud is "mighty". Sleep in peace, you done great.:smile:

Gosh these icons get tricky. This is the first forum I have ever joined, and I am rather enjoying it.

Oh Hello Shellybingobingo, quite a complicated username at this time of night and especially after two glasses of wine. I actually just joined this forum to say "Hey I am over living in Australia for 6 years, hate it, is it my time to take a stand?!"

Interesting discussions that have evolved. I am complaining a little, and possibly upsetting the applecart, but that is more due to the fact my girls are now older, I am more confident, I know I want to be "settled" way before 50 and I finally feel

I can stand up to my mother in law!@ Does anybody else feel by the time the get over 43 its now or never!???

I think every kid should hopefully be supported by their parents and have the right to a university education. But not always the case. A kid who is not cut out for uni may excel greatly in other areas and do so well as well. More than just an education.

Honesty, integrity, being able to treat a woman right and nice and care for children.. Soo important. The best thing you have done as a mum is say "I'm still proud of them anyway" . Well done you. we can't control everything and the fact you care

and are proud is "mighty". Sleep in peace, you done great.:smile:

Gosh these icons get tricky. This is the first forum I have ever joined, and I am rather enjoying it.

im 43 I know what you are saying totally about being settled lol ...well my mil and fil tolerate me don't particularly like me lol ...my hubbie said they do but I just know they don't lol ..anyway uve decided so wish u well in uk ...no you carnt control everything ...when ya kids r older you know the saying ...you can take a horse to water ...but you carnt make them drink lol ...u doing great but don't get addicted to them lol :) the forums I mean :)

Hi above

I am sorry but I am so new to forums and try and stay away from technology! Maybe why my family do not get me cus they love screens! I love Jane Austen, poetry and fine wine over conversation, and walking amongst greenery! Does mil and fil mean in laws? Sorry but I have never joined a forum before. You sound a bit sad. I soo hope you seek your goals and it does not matter what you in laws think of you! It matters what you think of yourself! and you doing damn fine job!

I not getting additcted. First forum I ever joined. I preach to my children "do not spend time staring at screens, more to life, blah , blah" and last night I found myself quite interested in this screen. I think because it is nice to hear from other women.

Then I thought it is late, and I am missing "Escape to the Country". (lovely English programme for those not in the know).

!

Haha I'm not great on computers so I wouldn't worry about it , mil is mother in law yes and fil father in law lol ..sorry haha . No I'm not sad lol if I was at that point I would pack it in ...just miss me hubby ATM lol ...we face time everynight but still ...ha give up trying get mine off there stuff ...it goes in one ear out the other lol . I'm watching a movie in a min ...just ordered a gluten free pizza lol :) pretty woman DVD lol :)

OHH I get you! I just been diagnosed coeliac, go gluten free pizza! So plsd you not sad, but we are all allowed odd sad night huh! I am sorry but what is ATM? I am sad you miss u hubby but I don't know why. But I do understand the "in one ear out the other", pretty sure universal language?!ha ha. and I love pretty woman. How many others have the other "in one ear out the other?"

I have probably gone off track, but what the hell! It was more about my children, but maybe I make it about me or others in their 40's or older! I met my hubby at 23 years of age in NZ, and thought "oh wow"! He just happened to be striving to be an international airline pilot. OK, fair enough. Lust outruled any logic. We got married, I was just 27. He left me to go to the UK and convert his licence. I thought "oh hold on, pretty sure I have missed my honeymoon somewhere in this plan".

I moved to the UK when I was 28 to meet my hubby (with no honeymoon, good thing I still fancied him or else!) then we sort of got caught up in the world of "babies, me not working , him working, call off return to NZ to look after our parents" etc. Hardship

followed as some of you may have read.

To cut a long story short: numerous natural disasters, etc, mother in law problems, death in family, but here we are. I am sure still young, two lovely children, still want to be with my hubby, just want "more" than what I have. So to everyone above we may have different opinions and goals, or not agree. But we should all support each other.

Good on anyone seeking an opinion and striving for better. (hope you enjoy pretty woman, ultimate fairy tale ending, yeah!)

Wow, I almost need another wine to follow your story, but will go with a cup of tea. ATM is at the moment, got it. Thank you. So your hubby is in Western Australia. Is that mines? I have no idea about mines. Anybody else experience in this?

Pregnant at 17 very young, good on you for getting through. Oh, married at 20 very young, good on you again. Nice hubbie to adopt. I dont't think you should ever think you are boring someone with your "story". You went through it, importan

to you, so always important. I am no counsellor, but any life story not boring, it is a sign of your maturity and toughness and you should be congratulated.

OK coeliac. I was caring for my mum, she had a liver transplant in NZ, I was age 36. she did good, bounced back. I got sick. Prbably stress as well as I had a house fire into the bargain.

Anyway, got a tummy bug,so I though. Couldn't eat, couldn't keep things down, ran low grade temp and felt awful. Went doc after about 6 weeks and said I can't get rid of tummy bug, but do have autoimmune background.

Tests done, positive for ANA markers etc,mild coeliac etc. Had biopsy in NZ and got told Coeliac. Moved to Australia still felt awful. Said, I am so still bad tummy, very strict gluten free diet, why I feel terrible?

Had test for gallbladder, failed, gallbladder came out. It was bad. Felt better once out. Then saw another specialist, had blood test, biopsy, he said, "you not coeliac". I though, can't you make up mind"

Anwyaw, 3 years back on gluten, but kept to low gluten diet always cus I knew deep down not right, had another specialist, bioposy. Results just in, I am coeliac. So my low gluten diet now has become a

strict gluten free diet. I think wheat and gluten is not right for a lot of people, they just do not have the diagnosis yet. In our ancestory, they did not eat a lot of gluten or wheat.

If I eat gluten or wheat I get a sore hard tummy, feel tired and sick. Easy, lets listen to our bodies.