Proof of high English rather than IELTS for 189

Smithjed

Hi all,

I am a vet in Aus currently trying to express interest for the 189 and when I finished my points test I ended up with 55 and need the 60. i think the only way I can get the extra points is by doing the english test. I studied a 5 year degree in England but yet still need to do the test to prove that I have profcient english?? Is there any way of getting the points without carrying out the test??

Any help accepted :)

It is ridiculous that having been educated in England up to the point of finishing a veterinary degree you still have to take part in an English exam :( it is expensive and means I have to wait another month or so before I can even enter my expression of interest. Hard fitting in a test sitting when you are also working weekends grr

If you can provide documentary evidence of having been to school in a country where English is the language, then you can be exempted - at least that is the way it used to be for the 457 visa. And no ... X University Medical School does not count as a school.

If you can provide documentary evidence of having been to school in a country where English is the language, then you can be exempted - at least that is the way it used to be for the 457 visa. And no ... X University Medical School does not count as a school.

Evidence of schooling in English doesn't apply to the primary applicant for a 189 visa. It MUST be through one of the DIBP-approved tests.

It is ridiculous that having been educated in England up to the point of finishing a veterinary degree you still have to take part in an English exam :( it is expensive and means I have to wait another month or so before I can even enter my expression of interest. Hard fitting in a test sitting when you are also working weekends grr

Someone with a passport from an English speaking country does not need to take IELTS to prove English, but most do for points. It is an absolute gift to be able to get up to 20 points for sitting a short test on reading, writing etc. Same points you get for a phd or many years of work experience. There is no point being outraged. just do it and bank the points.

Seems he's exempt from needing it but with 55 points he needs it purely to bump up the points it seems? not as a requirement for the visa.

many of us have been there I think.

I'm English, Born in England, Schooled in England, Bachelors Degree in England, Worked for 5 years in England, 4 in aus, still needed it to make up the points!

Just one of those things, it was easy points tbh and if I'd done it sooner I'd have my visa by now. Don't fret, the cost aside it's not a big deal (if you're from an english speaking background at least). Speaking test was just a conversation, they give you a few minutes to write notes about what to talk about, I didn't use them it was just like having a conversation. Writing test again, shouldn't struggle with that, and the listening you have to concentrate for but again shouldn't struggle too much. If English isn't your first language, well worth putting in a bit of revision to know what to expect

As a few of the other posts have said - if you're a native English speaker then the test is pretty straight forward. I was born in the UK, school, university and worked in the UK for 10 years plus and got 8's and 9's in the modules with 8.5 overall. I wouldn't say I revised but I did take a look at the format of each of the modules - how long you get for each one, how many questions there are (especially for the writing test). The listening and reading were fine - you do just have to concentrate and make sure you writing in the correct boxes, the speaking is just a conversation so fine too. For the writing I just made sure I kept an eye on the time and allowed enough to answer both questions allowing more time for the question with the most points associated with it. Remember to take a pencil (some sections no pens allowed!). Good luck!

Thanks CharlieV

I've got the revision book and will have a good 6 months or so revision before I will even take the test.

I am waiting till July to submit my trades assessment. Should that come back positive, I'll then be taking the IELTS.

I may take it before I even submit the assessment, just to see what level I am working at. If I get 8's in the first attempt. Bonus!

Thanks CharlieV

I've got the revision book and will have a good 6 months or so revision before I will even take the test.

I am waiting till July to submit my trades assessment. Should that come back positive, I'll then be taking the IELTS.

I may take it before I even submit the assessment, just to see what level I am working at. If I get 8's in the first attempt. Bonus!

Mate, from your first post it says you have 55points as it is. Just getting 7's for all of them will be sufficient, and more than doable on the first try, even if intoxicated.

With all 7's that nets you 10 points which brings the total to 65.

I want you to be very clear on this, having more then 60 points will bring you absolutely no benefit, especially since you are a vet. right now vet's occupational ceiling is 60/1000. You have no competition whatsoever. Whether you go in with 65 points or 75 points you would still get the invite on the very first round.

If you trying for 8's because you are a high achiever, which i respect, thats great, but spend your energies on work and furthering your vet knowlege is better than some silly ielts cash grabbing test yeah?

Mate, from your first post it says you have 55points as it is. Just getting 7's for all of them will be sufficient, and more than doable on the first try, even if intoxicated.

With all 7's that nets you 10 points which brings the total to 65.

I want you to be very clear on this, having more then 60 points will bring you absolutely no benefit, especially since you are a vet. right now vet's occupational ceiling is 60/1000. You have no competition whatsoever. Whether you go in with 65 points or 75 points you would still get the invite on the very first round.

If you trying for 8's because you are a high achiever, which i respect, thats great, but spend your energies on work and furthering your vet knowlege is better than some silly ielts cash grabbing test yeah?

I'm not sure where you got that from... I'm far from a vet! Haha

I only score 50 points with proficient English (grade 7). I need to score a Grade 8 to get those extra 10 points needed.

I'm not sure where you got that from... I'm far from a vet! Haha

I only score 50 points with proficient English (grade 7). I need to score a Grade 8 to get those extra 10 points needed.

omg im so sorry, i mixed you up with what the tread starter said. my bad man, good luck on ielts, took me two tries to get 8. Just mixed up verbs and kept it mostly simple. funny thing is i had 8 for every module so my scores were R8 L8 S8 W8, so i realise i was treading on thin ice. :P

I’m feeling like a professional IELTS test taker, with a very heavy and despondent heart. In summary of all my tests thus far:

Listening | Reading | Writing | Speaking

1. L8, R7, W8, S9
  2. L8, R7.5, W7.5, S9
  3. L8, R7.5, W8, S9
  4. L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9
  5. L9, R9, W7.5, S8.5

It gets embarassing when the invigilators know your name...

My livelihood is based on my ability to communicate and my English is impeccable, but sometimes you're just sh!t out of luck / panic sets in / don't test well or whatever.

So cracking into the 8 banding, in my opinion, does not really reflect your proficiency in the language, but more your ability to do the test, and the roll of the dice.

I’m feeling like a professional IELTS test taker, with a very heavy and despondent heart. In summary of all my tests thus far:

Listening | Reading | Writing | Speaking

1. L8, R7, W8, S9

2. L8, R7.5, W7.5, S9

3. L8, R7.5, W8, S9

4. L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9

5. L9, R9, W7.5, S8.5

It gets embarassing when the invigilators know your name...

My livelihood is based on my ability to communicate and my English is impeccable, but sometimes you're just sh!t out of luck / panic sets in / don't test well or whatever.

So cracking into the 8 banding, in my opinion, does not really reflect your proficiency in the language, but more your ability to do the test, and the roll of the dice.

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very

clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who

do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

There are alternative tests of English accepted by the DIBP.

Archived