Moving back to uk after 4 years in Perth

loubeany

Hi

just wanted to put it out there that after 4 fun years in WA I am going back to the uk ( devon)

it was a tough decision as I am separating from my husband ( who is still my closest friend )

i am am so happy to be leaving now and can't wait to get back. I recently read a great blog about family moving back to U.K from Sydney as they felt bored and there wasn't enough to hold them in oz, inc missing family. All these reasons are so relevant to me along with the culture and greener landscape I miss.

I weighed up wall to wall sun verses cloud rain and sun ( along with seasonal changes ) and for me it was no contest.

I havent enjoyed the searing heat and flies. I don't get the overblown BBQ and beach ethos, it's not that big I have to say.

i miss local markets and the serious revolution that's going on Europe side, I missed hopping on a plane to Europe and all the history beneath my feet.

So yes I am happy to leave, obviously they are under somewhat sad circumstances ( relationship ending ) however with all the talk of closed mindedness recently ( Australian side ) it will be interesting to see just how much poms do moan when I return in 2 weeks time.

if anyone wants any advice or tips on movers or pets, money moving, all the processes you have to go through to return please ask away. I have sent a container home and my dog will depart a couple of days after me. I have sent money back. Sold cars. Booked many hire services and even rented a house with the aid of a friend back home. Wish me luck :)

Best of luck ...if you were moving back to somewhere dodgy in the u.k ...i would say think again ....but parts of Devon are quality....iam down in croyde in a couple of weeks....and in my very humble opinion,I would compare it to anywhere

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best of luck ...if you were moving back to somewhere dodgy in the u.k ...i would say think again ....but parts of Devon are quality....iam down in croyde in a couple of weeks....and in my very humble opinion,I would compare it to anywhere

Had lots of childhood holidays at Croyde Bay camping, lovely.

Hi helen

where are you moving back to ? Good luck and all the happiness with your relocate back. ?

I'm heading back to Northumberland, can't wait. 3 years here & it's not for me no matter how hard people have tried. I am returning without my hubby, he isn't sure about coming back so we shall see what happens

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Loubeany,

My wife and I have decided it is time for us to head back to the UK after trying so hard here for too long. We need to know how much it costs for us to bring our dog and cat back with us.

At this stage we only know we want to move within the next 12 months and we are looking somewhere around Liverpool, Yorkshire or even the southwest. We are undecided at this stage and it mainly depends on our teenagers.

We are just starting to the process to get our British Passports and Aussie ones as well then we can work on all the rest. We have looked at about $4,000 for flights just for us 4 but have no idea how much it costs for our furbabies. seeing some of the prices on here has really got us worried especially as money is tight for us.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Craig

Just for your info as I am not sure what size your dog is or where you are living as that will depend on the pricing, but all I can say is that the cost of sending back our retriever from Perth to Heathrow is $4000, and a 20ft container for our belongings to the south of England is $8500.

Good luck with it all!

Hi Craig

Just for your info as I am not sure what size your dog is or where you are living as that will depend on the pricing, but all I can say is that the cost of sending back our retriever from Perth to Heathrow is $4000, and a 20ft container for our belongings to the south of England is $8500.

Good luck with it all!

Hi Miley,

Thank you for the dog info. Our boy is the size of a Kelpie so not very big at all. Like you we are currently in Perth and will be flying in to Heathrow.

As for a shipping container we won't need that as we will be buying second hand and cheap items to get by with to start us off. We will be selling most of our furniture and things here.

We will be doing it rough or maybe even rent a fully furnished house for a while. Still in planning stage.

Thanks again

Hi just wanted to put it out there that after 4 fun years in WA I am going back to the uk ( devon) it was a tough decision as I am separating from my husband ( who is still my closest friend ) i am am so happy to be leaving now and can't wait to get back. I recently read a great blog about family moving back to U.K from Sydney as they felt bored and there wasn't enough to hold them in oz, inc missing family. All these reasons are so relevant to me along with the culture and greener landscape I miss. I weighed up wall to wall sun verses cloud rain and sun ( along with seasonal changes ) and for me it was no contest. I havent enjoyed the searing heat and flies. I don't get the overblown BBQ and beach ethos, it's not that big I have to say. i miss local markets and the serious revolution that's going on Europe side, I missed hopping on a plane to Europe and all the history beneath my feet. So yes I am happy to leave, obviously they are under somewhat sad circumstances ( relationship ending ) however with all the talk of closed mindedness recently ( Australian side ) it will be interesting to see just how much poms do moan when I return in 2 weeks time. if anyone wants any advice or tips on movers or pets, money moving, all the processes you have to go through to return please ask away. I have sent a container home and my dog will depart a couple of days after me. I have sent money back. Sold cars. Booked many hire services and even rented a house with the aid of a friend back home. Wish me luck :)

All the best ...Devon ...you lucky sod...i was down there last week ..its like 200 mph slower than the west mids....we lost the signal to radio 1,on the way down ....and picked up bbc radio Devon ...with some old local talking about farming .....great accent ....it was like going back 50 years ,in the nicest possible way. .....ooh aaaarrrghhh

Very best of luck, have a real gut feeling Aus is in for some tough times ahead from an economy point of view. Love to see so many taking furbabies back, us poms sure do love our furbabies. Devon is just lovely, Im sure you will be very happy to be back home. I would find it interesting to find out the number of people going back compaired to those moving out to Aus.

Hi Craig,

have you tried jet pets?

we got a quote of $5990 for two dogs

Hi Loubeany,

My wife and I have decided it is time for us to head back to the UK after trying so hard here for too long. We need to know how much it costs for us to bring our dog and cat back with us.

At this stage we only know we want to move within the next 12 months and we are looking somewhere around Liverpool, Yorkshire or even the southwest. We are undecided at this stage and it mainly depends on our teenagers.

We are just starting to the process to get our British Passports and Aussie ones as well then we can work on all the rest. We have looked at about $4,000 for flights just for us 4 but have no idea how much it costs for our furbabies. seeing some of the prices on here has really got us worried especially as money is tight for us.

Thanks in advance.

I'm heading back to Northumberland, can't wait. 3 years here & it's not for me no matter how hard people have tried. I am returning without my hubby, he isn't sure about coming back so we shall see what happens

All the best to you Helz. Speaking as someone who is here because of family commitments (Australian partner and child) I'm green eyed with envy that you're able to make it home. Keep us posted on how things go. :smile:

Very best of luck, have a real gut feeling Aus is in for some tough times ahead from an economy point of view. Love to see so many taking furbabies back, us poms sure do love our furbabies. Devon is just lovely, Im sure you will be very happy to be back home. I would find it interesting to find out the number of people going back compaired to those moving out to Aus.

I hope that's not the case as I'm heading over next year lol

The Net migration rate overall is holding steady, and the number of people arriving is outstripping the number leaving

page3image9432

This is from everywhere of course and the % that are British has reduced

chart.jpg

chart.jpg

All the best to you Helz. Speaking as someone who is here because of family commitments (Australian partner and child) I'm green eyed with envy that you're able to make it home. Keep us posted on how things go. :smile:

Makes 2 of us ! As I have said in other threads, as you get older if that pull to go home continues to increase but for reasons beyond your control you cant go back it is really hard to deal with, so I would encourage anyone who has serious doubts about being in Aus "for the rest of there life" to go home while they are still able to do so.

I hope that's not the case as I'm heading over next year lol

I dont want to start another political battle on here between those in favour of our current "leader" and those not. It is my veiw point and the view point of many many of my friends and associates, that Abbott and Hockey are grabbing at straws and are totally out of there depth to deal with an increasingly difficult financial situation. There are many with a skill or trade that will see them do well in Aus, but you wont know that until you get here and see how things work out for you. I do wish you and all those planning to come over the very best of luck and happiness.

The Net migration rate overall is holding steady, and the number of people arriving is outstripping the number leaving

page3image9432

This is from everywhere of course and the % that are British has reduced

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29574[/ATTACH]

A very interesting chart and it reflects the UKs improving situation.

I just can't decided what to do in regards stick oz out longer or head back to UK,it's not really been a great 22 months out of this time done approx 5 months work in this time, that's probably more than the whole 24 yrs in my work at home.

Came here just for a change possibly better place to bring up my daughter and maybe better myself etc in fact it's been opposite have went backwards and things don't be same or be getting any better.

i did say after 1 yr going back but many need at least 2 yrs to settle so thought give it another year and again it's not really got any better and may get worse with some of the jobs I could be on coming to and end.

The UK is not all sweet and has its issues also with work but at least I'm known there and been around and never struggled with work ever.

As said all was well and would have been very sweet if still in UK having came here seems to be just getting us into a bigger and deeper hole and I wonder if it's all worth it.

Just been asked by agent what we are doing with two months left on lease it's do we get sorted and make the move or say we extend lease and see how things turn out and if no chance just go and lose bond.

There are jobs I'm waiting to here from here in oz but many I apply for or get called back about never seem to happen and I'm also waiting to hear back from jobs in UK also.

Thing is I'm told that I could apply for citizenship June 2016 and thought I could wait for this but is it really worth staying possibly another year for?

Our lives just seem to have stuck on hold since arriving here and just want to get it back to normal not also having our own house does not help after owning one for over 20yrs in the UK.

i suppose with not settling and not getting the work I was trying for and have being messed around so much and many other things I have sor of grown to hate here but still wanna give it more time etc but really is this going to get better for us are we going to change with our views here etc.

we have had fun times here etc but like some others who have been here much longer just does not feel like home.

We have even spoke to met people who have better themselves got on very well and really had nothing back in UK so are staying in oz for us it was all going for us and not here in oz and I'm always thinking it's going to change or get better.

For someone who has been in oz traveled and always wanted to live here have seen it in a different way.

i just am not sure what to do for the best the little one is 3 in August and want to be settled before she starts school.

i also feel negative all the time on what goes on here in oz,what people do and get up to etc yes all happens at home and probably cause I'm maybe annoyed being here or that things has not worked out like I thought they would.

Go home bwatt99. Seriously nothing in your post indicates there is any reason at all to stick around. Plus, if you've only been here 22 months, I think you'll have to wait until 2017 to get citizenship (4 yrs resident in Aus - unless you validated PR visas and then didn't make the permanent move until a year later).

ur lives just seem to have stuck on hold since arriving here and just want to get it back to normal not also having our own house does not help after owning one for over 20yrs in the UK.

i suppose with not settling and not getting the work I was trying for and have being messed around so much and many other things I have sor of grown to hate here but still wanna give it more time etc but really is this going to get better for us are we going to change with our views here etc.

I'd say go home too! - Been here 8 years HATE renting after owning for so long (still have house in the UK) and I never considered how difficult it would be to rent for so long. Plus my work is sporadic although lucrative - absolutely understand where 'lives on hold' comment comes from. Well, life is for living and you are free to go as soon as your lease is up (just ask for it to be a rolling lease if you're not sure when you're going). I'm stuck here for another year (kid in education) - and some people can never get back, so if you want to go, then go while you can!

I am one of those stuck fast here and unless you live it every day no one can know how that feels. Soon your little one will be in kindy, the older she/he gets the more difficult it can be to resettle her/him into the British way of life. Many migrants love it here but some dont or it just does not work for them, no different to migrants to britain it does not work for some of them. Its pretty clear you know where "home" is and are just trying to convince yourself it can be here in Aus. Hand in your notice to the agent and book your flights home.

Go home bwatt99. Seriously nothing in your post indicates there is any reason at all to stick around. Plus, if you've only been here 22 months, I think you'll have to wait until 2017 to get citizenship (4 yrs resident in Aus - unless you validated PR visas and then didn't make the permanent move until a year later).

its 2016 I can apply for citizenship had this confirmed over phone call yesterday it's really the only thing sort of keeping me still here,but wife and Bub don't qualifity until 2017 so sometimes I wonder if even worth waiting for or what I will benefit by having it when wife and Bub will not.

I was living and working in the USA many years ago. I had my green card and could have been eligible for citizenship after 5 years. Two years there was enough for me - didn't like it so had no intention of waiting another three years - why would you wait here in Australia to be eligible for citizenship if you don't like the place?

Archived