Contributory parent visa or contributory aged parent visa

Steve S

Hi,

I am 63 and my wife Mel is 67. Can anyone advise whether we can apply as a couple for the contributory aged parent visa due to the fact that Mel qualifies due to her age, or do we have to take the contributory parent visa route. Also, is the second instalment fee of $AUD 43K for both of us or is it for each of us?

Many thanks, Steve.

The second VAC charge of $43k is for each parent. You also need to pass the balance of family test, be sponsored by your child(ren), pass health and character checks.

For contributary aged parent visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/864.aspx

Age requirements

Men must be older than 65 years of age to apply for this visa.

The age requirement for women varies, depending on when you were born. If you were:

• born before 30 June 1947, you can apply at the age of 64
  • born between 1 July 1947 and 31 December 1948, you can apply when you are 64.5 years of age
  • born after 1 January 1949, you can apply when you turn 65.

Actually I think you are mistaken, toOZ2012

I don't think there are age restrictions on the visas that are granted to offshore applicants - this includes the contributory parent visa. The onshore applicants have (aged parents) have to be a certain age to qualify.

Hi,

I am 63 and my wife Mel is 67. Can anyone advise whether we can apply as a couple for the contributory aged parent visa due to the fact that Mel qualifies due to her age, or do we have to take the contributory parent visa route. Also, is the second instalment fee of $AUD 43K for both of us or is it for each of us?

Many thanks, Steve.

If your wife is the main applicant, she can apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa with you as her partner even though you are not yet 65. The second instalment is $43,600 each. Don't forget that there is also a 10-year Assurance of Support bond of $14,000 ($10k +$4k)..

Only one of the parents needs to be aged for a Contributory Aged Parent visa application.

Both parents must be in Australia to apply, and should plan on being there for the duration of processing - which can be only 4 to 5 months for a CAP application.

Best regards.

Actually I think you are mistaken, toOZ2012

I don't think there are age restrictions on the visas that are granted to offshore applicants - this includes the contributory parent visa. The onshore applicants have (aged parents) have to be a certain age to qualify.

The information quoted is for a contributory aged parent visa :)

Hi all, we are within 5 weeks before we can actually submit application. We have one son living in USA, Daughter living in Melbourne, last Son emigrating to Melbourne in 5 weeks "all booked" As soon as he lands and gets the stamp in his passport, that will be the last bit of proof we need for formal application.

As we were there for Christmas it seemed a good idea prior, to open a bank account, whilst there it was activated which enabled us to start transferring some funds ready for the visa charges when they arrive, one good point to mention is that the NAB are paying a regular interest 3% net and Moneycorp transfer for free, at well above travel money rate.

Oh how good it feels to be a right balanced family lol.

Yes we pass the balance of family test - our younger daughter has lived in Australia for several years and has taken Australian citizenship (our older daughter lives in Canada). The Australian Government immigration service website suggests that the wait for a contributory parent visa is anything between 12 and 24mths. Is having a Migration Agent a good idea and is having one to help process an application likely to shorten the waiting time?

Many thanks, Steve.

Yes we pass the balance of family test - our younger daughter has lived in Australia for several years and has taken Australian citizenship (our older daughter lives in Canada). The Australian Government immigration service website suggests that the wait for a contributory parent visa is anything between 12 and 24mths. Is having a Migration Agent a good idea and is having one to help process an application likely to shorten the waiting time?

Many thanks, Steve.

Having a Migration Agent is a good idea if you don't feel confident about doing the application yourself but having said that, Parent visa applications are very straightforward and I think most people would be able to manage by themselves. Having an agent definitely won't speed the process in any way.

I was at an Expo a couple of weeks ago & 1 of the agents there said that the contributory parent visa would be closing again, after just re-opening a few months ago. I have searched online but can't find anything that suggests this. Does anyone know if this is true?

My brother is a permanent resident & has lived in Australia for several years. I am just starting the process of applying for skilled permanent visa & we had hoped that my dad, who's 54, would also start applying later on this year. I'm now totally stressed out that he may not be able to join us. His 2 children & grandchildren would be in Australia, & if the agent was right & this visa is closing, I am going to have to make a massive emotional decision that I really don't want to :unsure::unsure:

I was at an Expo a couple of weeks ago & 1 of the agents there said that the contributory parent visa would be closing again, after just re-opening a few months ago. I have searched online but can't find anything that suggests this. Does anyone know if this is true?

My brother is a permanent resident & has lived in Australia for several years. I am just starting the process of applying for skilled permanent visa & we had hoped that my dad, who's 54, would also start applying later on this year. I'm now totally stressed out that he may not be able to join us. His 2 children & grandchildren would be in Australia, & if the agent was right & this visa is closing, I am going to have to make a massive emotional decision that I really don't want to :unsure::unsure:

The he agent means the non contributory parent visa....that is the one that closed and reopened and the one which currently has a 50 year delay.

I suspect the agents were referring to the non-contributory parent visas. These were closed last year, but then that decision was repealed and they were re-opened a few months later. Word has it that there will be a move to close them again. Even though they are still open, the wait times are extremely long (10+ years).

The contributory parent visas are at far less risk to close but they are expensive - approx. $50,000 per applicant, but they only take 12-24 months to process.

Thanks so much for your replies. It's the contributory visa he'd be applying for, although very expensive, we knew the waiting times would be considerably shorter!

Phew, that's 1 less thing this pregnant lady needs to worry about!! He's in WA just now visiting my brother but he really will need to get a wriggle on once he gets back.

Thanks again :hug:

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but it's really good to now have somewhere where I can ask questions. I'm looking at moving from the UK to Oz where both my children and my 3 grandchildren are. Really wanting some advice on whether there is any difference other than applicant age requirement between the Contributory parent visa and the contributory aged parent visa. Just wondering whether I should wait here in the UK until I am 65. However if there is no real advantage in waiting then maybe I should just go for it now. If there is a substantial advantage then I could just take long holidays in Oz in the meantime and therefore give myself a longer period to get used to the idea.

The only difference I can see is that the aged contributary visa is applied for onshore, it costs the same.

As there is usually a price hike every July there could be more of an advantage applying before then.

The other option that is cheaper but with other downsides is the aged non contributary visa. This may not be available by the time you could qualify for it though and you would be on a bridging visa until it was granted which could be many years.

Hi AMP

If I were you I'd apply for the visa now, if there's nothing really Iwould apply for the visa now if there's nothing really stopping you. You have to pass a medical to get the visa and there is always (god forbid) the possibility of something cropping up in the future that would get you turned down. On the other hand, once your visa is granted, you have five years from the date of issue to move over lock stock and barrel. You can still do lots of long holidays and when you are ready to move, you know they are going to let you in.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but it's really good to now have somewhere where I can ask questions. I'm looking at moving from the UK to Oz where both my children and my 3 grandchildren are. Really wanting some advice on whether there is any difference other than applicant age requirement between the Contributory parent visa and the contributory aged parent visa. Just wondering whether I should wait here in the UK until I am 65. However if there is no real advantage in waiting then maybe I should just go for it now. If there is a substantial advantage then I could just take long holidays in Oz in the meantime and therefore give myself a longer period to get used to the idea.

The main difference is that the aged CPV 864 comes with a Bridging Visa A, but the 143 doesn't except in a few specific situations (e.g. already hold the temporary 173 visa, or hold a visitor visa that was granted by ministerial intervention, etc.)

PS. Re non- contributory visa - for anyone interested, I'm on this waiting list but planning to swap. From searching the queue date calculator, it seems that the wait is actually more like eight years at the minute.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply?

The Aged Contributory visa (864) waiting time is much quicker- it's granted after only a few months as opposed to nearly 2 years for the 143 ( that's the last I heard anyway)

True. Current processing time for 864 is under 6 months. The 173/143 are about 2 years. With so much demand for contributory places, the processing time keeps going up constantly. In 4 years time, it'll likely take close to 3 years for contributory visas.

Many thanks to everyone for the responses to my query about the contributory parent visa versus the contributory aged parent visa. It was so reassuring to feel no longer alone with all the issues and to know there is a tremendous community out there willing to help and advise. Many many thanks Poms in Oz friends!!

I think I'm actually just going to go with lodging my contributory parent visa application in the next week and the waiting time will give me space to get my head round the rest.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

May I know where you guys/gals lodge an 864 application? According to the immi website (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/864-), we can submit to any office. However, when I went to an office in Sydney, they told me to send it to the Perth office. My parents are planning to go out of Ausie for a holiday at the end of this week, and I'm wondering what will happen if the Perth office received the 864 application while they are not in Australia. Would appreciate any advice / experience sharing.

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

Thanks

Archived