How do you sound?

Gbye grey sky

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying to think of someone Scottish who sounds a bit like my accent but can't even think of anybody. Was going to say maybe the woman from ugly Betty but she's from Annan. People not from here think it's strong but then people from here sometimes wind me up saying I'm posh just because I don't use a lot of Scottish words :laugh: I don't say "aye" etc

• 1 month later...

My Scottish accent has softened but I'll never lose it now at my age. Wouldn't want to anyway. Always amuses me when some people very quickly acquire an Australian accent but when they've had a bit to drink their 'old' accent emerges. Always makes me smile.

One thing I was snobby about was my kids speaking 'nicely'. I used to say to them "open your mouth when you're speaking". You know what I mean. Pie instead of poi and my instead of moi. Also noticed that a few of their pals when they were at school used f instead of th. e.g. bovver instead of bother. I have even heard well educated people doing that. Yes OK, I'm snobby that way but I just don't like to hear it.

Guest AltyMatt

I have a pretty soft Cheshire / northern accent that has softened further since being here 10 years. Friends & family in UK say I sound a bit Aussie, but Aussies say I sound English.

However English accent gets stronger when I have had too much to drink

I am from Scotland but have lived in SE England for 26 years now and I still have english people telling me they can't understand what I am saying, even though I no longer talk in my native tongue. I have never tried to keep my accent & I suppose I could have tried harder to adopt an english drawl but I always thought I sounded stupid. I cant see me talking any differently when we move to Oz but I know my hubby will. He too is one of those mimics, I call him the chameleon as he takes on the accent of whoever he is with lol

I sound like I am from Wrexham, which is where I am from - albeit with a milder version of the accent.

It's basically welsh-scouse. but as I used to travel and work with people all over, I developed a milder version. I can't see that changing much, but I expect the kids might pick up the strayn after a while over there.

Hi

Well I am in Scotland at the moment and we have quite broad accents! however I was on Skype to my friend in Perth at the weekend and she sounds Australian! with a little bit of and English twang. In saying that she has been there for about 6 or 7 years now. I have a cousin in Cairns and he just sounds the same way that he did when he left England. I think children might be more prone to picking up wee ozzy accents but I could be wrong perhaps it is individual :rolleyes:

I grew up in Britain and Australia and had both accents as a child. Today, my accent is southern English and always will be I presume. However, I do use a lot of Australian words and terms but these were acquired in childhood, not as an adult. I once saw one of the Brits in Oz programmes and there was this English guy on a beach being interviewed. He'd been in Australia a matter of weeks and had a full-on Croc Dundee accent, which was obviously fake and totally ridiculous. I think as an adult your accent won't change unless you're faking it, at least not for a very long time. I know someone who has been in Aus for maybe 20 - 25 years and even she has only the vaguest hint of an Aussie accent.

I am from Scotland but have lived in SE England for 26 years now and I still have english people telling me they can't understand what I am saying, even though I no longer talk in my native tongue. I have never tried to keep my accent & I suppose I could have tried harder to adopt an english drawl but I always thought I sounded stupid. I cant see me talking any differently when we move to Oz but I know my hubby will. He too is one of those mimics, I call him the chameleon as he takes on the accent of whoever he is with lol

What's an English drawl though? :err:

My son started to develop an accent in our short time there. No hint of it now though other than when he says the word 'really'.....sounds like he curls up his tongue and 'rolls' it out !

I found the Ozzie women love the English accent. Frequently I would be complimented on my Sarf East tones. Soon after arriving I was buying a Windscreen Phone Holder and the sales girl called over her mate and said, listen to this dude speak. Embarrassed in the moment all I could think of was ....allwight? And she went mushy eyed too !!

Archived