What school year will my son go into age 9?

LisaR

@ali had a list somewhere.

Year 1 is for children turning six years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 1.

Year 2 is for children turning seven years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 2.

Year 3 is for children turning eight years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 3.

Year 4 is for children turning nine years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 4.

Year 5 is for children turning 10 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 5.

Year 6 is for children turning 11 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 6.

Year 7 is for children turning 12 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 7.

Year 1 is for children turning six years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 1.

Year 2 is for children turning seven years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 2.

Year 3 is for children turning eight years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 3.

Year 4 is for children turning nine years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 4.

Year 5 is for children turning 10 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 5.

Year 6 is for children turning 11 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 6.

Year 7 is for children turning 12 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 7.

Is there no option to sit tests to see which is the most appropriate year. My son is 11 and his birthday is in the first week of July so he will go from being one of younger ones in his current year to older ones but will need to repeat a whole year.

Is there no option to sit tests to see which is the most appropriate year. My son is 11 and his birthday is in the first week of July so he will go from being one of younger ones in his current year to older ones but will need to repeat a whole year.

Personally I'd say keep it as it is. He'll stay with the same peer group all through then. Also I think having an easier 1st year isn't a bad thing as he's going to have the whole emigrating to the other side of the world to deal with at the same time.

Personally I'd say keep it as it is. He'll stay with the same peer group all through then. Also I think having an easier 1st year isn't a bad thing as he's going to have the whole emigrating to the other side of the world to deal with at the same time.

Shuould add too that a lot of schools have mixed mixed classes anyway my sons consisted of two year groups in his old primary school.

It's not really a case of repeating a year when they have no experience of the Australian school system. I know parents who hate the whole mixed year group thing but personally I like it and it's not done my son any harm so far. 2 nine year olds can be poles apart socially and academically. Mixing it up a bit alliws for the natural differences in social and academic development. I don't think it impacts negatively on success.

Also worth stressing that you are not repeating a year, you are if your child moves within the UK and is asked to repeat a year. You are moving countries, two totally different education systems, not from a British curriculum to another British curriculum. Does your child understand all about Aboriginal culture and Dreamtime stories? Do they know the capital cities of each State, know what an echidna and a quokka are, know the difference between Federal and State politics and who the Prime Minster is - all part of the primary school curriculum.

Oh so we have to be Sherlock Holmes ?

Okay fair enough.

Unfortunately I don't have Dr Watson with me.

I don't either. But one of my brain cells deduced that, if she's asking the question in the WA forum, she's probably moving to WA. :cool:

We are in Queensland Gold Coast and the above is correct for our state . my eldet son whom went 12 in December 2014 will be starting year 7 in the high school . It's the first year that they will be moving both year 7's up to high school along with the year 8's

Archived