Favourite UK supermarket and why?

Normally Sainsburys for us but recently we have been trying all the supermarkets home deliverys as they have all had offers on. Haven't paid full price for our weekly shop for about 6 weeks now, anywhere between £10-£20 off.

all the food for Xmas was bought from Sainsburys though.

we spend £100 per week on average with my wife spending another £10-15 during the week on milk, bread any any other bits and pieces that are needed

Waitrose easily the best. It's a more relaxing experience too and the staff and far better trained! However there isn't one anywhere near us now. ...and you could easily pop 3or 4 items in your basket and somehow seem to have spent £50! ( slight exaggeration)

Sainsburys is next best if you've got a large store. We use Asda as it's the closest big store and the the smaller local Sains or coop for items you've forgotten.

Off topic but I have found Aus supermarkets to have improved over last 10 years. They were pretty basic when I travelled on WHV in 2004/5. Having visited OH's family over the years I've seen their local Woolworths improve ( and that's Tassie!) - there's even lots of veggie products like Quorn etc whereas there wad nothing in 2004.

• 2 months later...

My brother and wife always did most of their shopping in M & S but tried some meat at Aldis in Hereford and were blown away by how good it was. They get most things from there now and rave about quality of fruit and vegetables. A lot of people are changing which is why Tesco is suffering so bad. When we were back there for a year we found certain things we liked in different stores and bulk purchased those items when there. Aldi 70% chocolate so cheap, Morrisons lattice pork pies likewise, Tesco for triple chocolate puddings out of the freezer section, Asda for non perfumed clothes washing liquid etc. We used all of them!

My sister in London lives near a Waitrose supermarket. Fabulous place!!! I couldn't get over how immaculately clean it was and beautifully laid out. Wide aisles and the choice of produce was amazing. Leaves our 'Colesworth' looking pretty shabby. That's what happens though when there is no competition.

I shop for veg at Aldi, then go to either asda, sainsburys or waitrose to top up with the staples such as organic milk, cheese etc.. that I can't get at Aldi. But my total bill for the week is approx £80:00 for 4 of us. with 70% of that spent at Aldi. Veg is fresh and lasts a week. Meat is good and tasty.

I shopped at tesco , asda morrisons , sainsbury ...I shopped in marks too ...I went and bought the offers ....mis Wilkos for cleaning stuff now a bottle of demestos a quid I used to have 20 bottles in ...soapowder when on offer for 5 quid I'd buy loads and keep em in me garage ...bold 2 in one ...I just looked and shopped around them all ...was never keen on aldi still arnt here I'll nip in for the odd thing now and then if I'm driving past but rare ...I miss the offers .. I know Woolies and Coles have offers ...but I still miss uk offers ha ha :)

I used Sainsbury's for 90% of my general grocery and household shopping as I found the staff at Tesco and Asda were often, but not always, rude, offered poor customer service and had limited product knowledge (possibly as a result of under training). There wasn't a Waitrose close enough to warrant a trip out. Tried Aldi once, but it looks cheap and I think the staff were under pressure to 'get you through' as fast as possible for the experience to be comfortable. Sainsbury's was slightly more expensive, but the quality of the food was much better than the supermarket competition.

For special occasions like Christmas, Birthdays, Anniversaries etc, I would use the local independent Butcher and Baker.

Sainsburys and I'd call into the fruit and veg shop on the way home as theirs wasn't up to much! And when I went into Newcastle I always went to Waitrose, loved it. I also used to have a trip to Costco about once a month for tinned stuff and their frozen prawns for my little cat, cat litter and beer!

• 1 month later...

We really are spoilt for choice over here and it is quite hard to separate them. We mostly use Morrisons because it is closest but probably favour Asia as I love their pizzas lol. We also love Lidl for their bakery stuff. Waitrose is also fantastic for its own brand food. What we have found is we spend A LOT less here for better quality, JMO.

Archived