How often do you visit back to uk?

jimmyay1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sweaty sock, Jock.

When I lived up in Aberdeen they used to call English people 'Guffs' or 'Guffies'. Never really understood that one :biglaugh:

Yeah someone on herm said it - I don't think I like it. Must be the sweaty bit lol. I've only heard guffs/guffies on here and it was Stevie Ellis that said it so it definitely must be a Aberdeen thing. Where I live they are just called English lol haven't heard any names other than southerners

Yeah someone on herm said it - I don't think I like it. Must be the sweaty bit lol. I've only heard guffs/guffies on here and it was Stevie Ellis that said it so it definitely must be a Aberdeen thing. Where I live they are just called English lol haven't heard any names other than southerners

Maybe he can come on and enlighten us.

I also heard the term 'Guffie Teuchter' aimed at an Engloid who resided in the countryside. Double Whammy!

PS I was born in Manc therefore an 'Engloid' myself before anyone gets offended on behalf of Engloids/Guffies/Sweaties/Aliens or Teuchters

Maybe he can come on and enlighten us.

I also heard the term 'Guffie Teuchter' aimed at an Engloid who resided in the countryside. Double Whammy!

PS I was born in Manc therefore an 'Engloid' myself before anyone gets offended on behalf of Engloids/Guffies/Sweaties/Aliens or Teuchters

Yes he says teuchter too I think lol. I call myself that! Did you need a interpreter up in Aberdeen lol

Yes he says teuchter too I think lol. I call myself that! Did you need a interpreter up in Aberdeen lol

too right you do Stacey. Remember the first time I heard Doric being spoken:

Local: Fit Like Loon, Foos Yer Doos!! Far ye Fae, Far Dae Ye Bide Min?

Me: what planet did I just land on? :wacko:

Sound people and great place to live though

We've been back once in six years. We went back in high summer (British summer) and I was surprised how cold it was, but actually adapted back very fast and preferred it. Surprised how rude people were in the service industry as well. I miss the landscape and the climate in the UK a lot, and family of course massively, and also how close it is to Europe. Other than that I miss nothing else about it. A big problem here we have with living on Treasure Island is how gouged we are on all prices, and a family of five or six will need to find $12,000 before their holiday starts just for the flights, which obviously is extremely prohibitive to visiting the UK. Because Australians have to pay much more for flights than everyone else on earth, it's cheaper to pay for your family to fly over and visit you here. Flights starting and ending in Australia are usually around 30% more expensive.

To add to his I feel about this site, in my opinion only a few types of people should be using this site

1. People moving over

2. People unhappy a want a moan

3. People returning to the UK

its beyond me why anyone who claims to have a wonderful fulfilling lifestyle would bother wasting any time on here bleating on about how good their life's are, it sounds harsh and I understand people are trying to help others but my brain doesn't belive that they are happy. Get on with it if it's that bloody good

Just my opinion

My signature explains it for you

too right you do Stacey. Remember the first time I heard Doric being spoken:

Local: Fit Like Loon, Foos Yer Doos!! Far ye Fae, Far Dae Ye Bide Min?

Me: what planet did I just land on? :wacko:

Sound people and great place to live though

I don't understand it either lol

It's strange but I do feel it's the obligation of the ones who have moved to make the effort to keep in touch.

I absolutely feel this. I'm happy to use my annual leave to visit everyone and I don't mind driving the length of the country to do it either. It's not their fault I moved to the other side of the world. Of course it would be lovely if they came to visit me, but it's a huge commitment for them. I'm on my second trip back in 14 months. I love my new life in Australia and am rarely home sick, but I love my family too and want to see them. I suppose it makes a difference that I didn't leave the UK because I hated it, I left because it was economically the right choice.

As a family we haven't been back since we got here 4 years ago, various reasons but for me, having previously had 2 DVTS both attributed to flying, I knew when I got on the flight to OZ (with heparin injections!!) it was a one way ticket!!! I seriously worry about that dreaded phone call because a) overcoming the emotional side of flying scares me but b) my haematologist told me point blank never to get on a flight without anti coagulation, overall it just seems easier to bury my head in the sand as much as I would actually love to go back for a visit....funnily enough I had my first DVT before I met my hubby and my first thought then was 'I guess I'll never visit OZ now' distinctly remember the thought, never ever yearned to visit OZ, strangely...6 years later emigrated here and love it!!!

I absolutely feel this. I'm happy to use my annual leave to visit everyone and I don't mind driving the length of the country to do it either. It's not their fault I moved to the other side of the world. Of course it would be lovely if they came to visit me, but it's a huge commitment for them. I'm on my second trip back in 14 months. I love my new life in Australia and am rarely home sick, but I love my family too and want to see them. I suppose it makes a difference that I didn't leave the UK because I hated it, I left because it was economically the right choice.

Good for you Cubic! We have to do what makes is feel right and if you can afford it why not?

Archived