This is a really random situation, but need some help please.

adele244

Your probably going to think this is a little mad and a bit of a money waster, but here is what I'm hoping to achieve....

We have a great business here and we have decided on a 2-5 year plan to sell the business up sticks and "live the dream" (hopefully!) we would love to have a similar business in Oz eventually, although hubby will have to find employment prior to this until we find our feet I would imagine.

My husband is a very experienced electronics engineer and has been for 17years although he has no degrees or university qualifications, it does state that 5 years experience would suffice over the qualifications which would be no problem proving, as our business has been running for over 10 years.

However I'm still not convinced we would have enough points. So what I am going to do is submit the eoi pay the fee, see if we get past that, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think at this point you may be lucky enough to get some interest off possible employers? If we get invited and depending on how extortionate the visa application costs, I may go through this just to test the water.

My fear is that we have this plan, save like fury for the next 3-4 years whilst making the business as sellable as possible, applying for a visa and it all going Pete Tong at the first blinkin hurdle!!! At least I could find out now if we don't stand a chance, and then we could scrap the plans and stop dreaming.

Sorry for the novel by the way!

The bit I am stuck on is they say that when you have submitted your expression of interest (if successful) you will get an invite to apply for a visa, will you know by then if you have had any sponsor offers or not? as surely this will depend on what type of visa you eventually apply for. Please tell me if I am completely off the mark, barking up the wrong tree, with the wrong end of the stick. Sorry again for the novel x

It is MEGA rare to get any job offers just from applying. I've heard of one person. One in years. Most people look

for their own.

You'd to do the skills assessment and English test before the expression of interest, so you'd know what points you had before applying.

If you get an invite will you proceed with the application or is it testing the water? One of the problems with a 5 year plan is that immigration could move the goal posts (again) or the skill no longer be in demand and be removed off the lists.

If you get an invite will you proceed with the application or is it testing the water? One of the problems with a 5 year plan is that immigration could move the goal posts (again) or the skill no longer be in demand and be removed off the lists.

Yes Ali, you are absolutely right! I think we would just have to deal with it if it happens .

A job offer would not be forthcoming as your OH would not be able to work in Australia without getting training here for his Licences.

I agree with this and would be astounded if anyone would employee an unqualified person in this field. In fact I wouldn't believe anyone who said otherwise.

As other have said, your first step must be a skills assessment from Engineers Australia BUT they're only valid for 3 years. Because he doesn't have an engineering degree, he'll need to get assessment via a CDR (if in fact that's possible with NO qualifications) and they're a pain to do - you don't want to have to do it twice because the first one has expired!

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment EA skills assessment - read the guidelines to see if your OH can meet them

Also, given your 2-5 year plan, keep the points test in mind as his age will have a huge bearing on how many points you can score if you want to try for a points tested visa i.e. one without employer sponsorship. It's going to be hard enough to get to 60 points without points for a degree but if he also loses a heap of age points, it will be impossible.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf Points test

A problem here is that what Australia calls an engineer and what is known as an engineer in the UK can be two completely different things. Can you tell us a little of what your business does because he may or may not need licensing and/or Electronics Engineer may not be the right occupation to nominate.

Your probably going to think this is a little mad and a bit of a money waster, but here is what I'm hoping to achieve....

We have a great business here and we have decided on a 2-5 year plan to sell the business up sticks and "live the dream" (hopefully!) we would love to have a similar business in Oz eventually, although hubby will have to find employment prior to this until we find our feet I would imagine.

My husband is a very experienced electronics engineer and has been for 17years although he has no degrees or university qualifications, it does state that 5 years experience would suffice over the qualifications which would be no problem proving, as our business has been running for over 10 years.

However I'm still not convinced we would have enough points. So what I am going to do is submit the eoi pay the fee, see if we get past that, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think at this point you may be lucky enough to get some interest off possible employers? If we get invited and depending on how extortionate the visa application costs, I may go through this just to test the water.

My fear is that we have this plan, save like fury for the next 3-4 years whilst making the business as sellable as possible, applying for a visa and it all going Pete Tong at the first blinkin hurdle!!! At least I could find out now if we don't stand a chance, and then we could scrap the plans and stop dreaming.

Sorry for the novel by the way!

The bit I am stuck on is they say that when you have submitted your expression of interest (if successful) you will get an invite to apply for a visa, will you know by then if you have had any sponsor offers or not? as surely this will depend on what type of visa you eventually apply for. Please tell me if I am completely off the mark, barking up the wrong tree, with the wrong end of the stick. Sorry again for the novel x

5 year's work experience will not compensate for lack of academic qualifications in an engineering skills assessment.

5 year's work experience will not compensate for lack of academic qualifications in an engineering skills assessment.

If I was planning to live the dream and leave my lifes work behind (your business) I would want all the support I could enlist or afford in order to make sure it went smoothly and with as little stress as possible and with minimal risk.

We couldn't really `afford` an agent but on the other side of the coin we realised that we really cannot afford to waste money on incorrectly filling out applications etc..don't get me wrong there are so so many people who manage to do this without error all by themselves, however if theres one lesson from this forum ive taken on board its that i know full well from reading so many gutting posts on here about peoples plans being scuppered due to them making minor avoidable mistakes, that the cost we have paid to enlist an agent means I know I've done everything possible to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. I'm no expert on migration and didn't want to rely on my own application skills because for us it just means too much too us to risk mistakes.

I'm certainly not saying you won't manage it successfully on your own...but I'm saying at least consider getting an initial assessment done by a MARA agent, the initial fee isn't a bank breaker and it might give you a bit more direction....Westly is very good at what he does and knows exactly what he's doing.

Wishing you all the best...xxx

I second that. There are a few options possible to you and it would be money well spent to investigate these with a good agent. Expect to pay for good advice, but you do not need to use an agent for everything if you then feel able to continue on your own. If you do be prepared to spend lots of time reading and understanding all the requirements and the process before applying.

an agent will take all the information financial, business and personal and help decide on the best pathway for you. Unless you are willing to put all that on here and hope amateurs can help.......

If you have been running a successful business for years, have you considered the business visa? We are going through this at the moment & the amount of financial information we have to provide is horrendous but if its the only way....

Where have you seen that 5 years experience would suffice? Engineers Australia would do the skills assessment and from their website it states clearly:

The following conditions for the assessment of Work Experience are to be noted:

• work experience cannot be claimed before completion of the applicable qualification

In terms of the applicable application there are only certain qualifications which are accredited - all the details can be found on the Engineers Australia website

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment

I am not saying there isn't a route in for you, but since this isn't straight forward I would seriously recommend enlisting the help of a migration agent. Most will give you an initial assessment at very low cost (often free).

Hi Ozmaniac thanks for all your pointers and links - very useful. Our business has been trading for 9 years and carries out electronic repairs at board level including surface mount technology. He reads schematics, we have 8 employees. We repair Plasma Tv;s and laptops but our main expertise is the Pro Audio industry, we repair all of Odeon, Vue and Cineworlds amplification nationally, we also repair huge cinema Bass drivers and mics also for the BBC and Sky.

Please don't get me wrong my HO does have qualifications a lot actually but only of NVQ level not diploma. I'm not even sure if what he does would be more suited to the title Electronics technician. (I have just actually emailed Engineers Australia asking what umbrella this would fall under)

I totally hear what you are saying with regards to loosing points over age, we are 38 and this would definitely loose us points. Maybe a way to gain some more would be to take the English test - What are your thoughts on that please? Is it a very costly exercise? Thanks again x

Where have you seen that 5 years experience would suffice? Engineers Australia would do the skills assessment and from their website it states clearly:

The following conditions for the assessment of Work Experience are to be noted:

• work experience cannot be claimed before completion of the applicable qualification

In terms of the applicable application there are only certain qualifications which are accredited - all the details can be found on the Engineers Australia website

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment

I am not saying there isn't a route in for you, but since this isn't straight forward I would seriously recommend enlisting the help of a migration agent. Most will give you an initial assessment at very low cost (often free).

Hi, it says it on the Australian immigration website under Electronics Engineer

[TABLE=class: table-100, width: 646]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #E8E8E8]Skill level[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E8E8E8]This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

He has loads of qualifications but all NVQ level not diploma level, this is the problem. Without a doubt though you are correct with enlisting the help of an agent, it is far far too complex for my tiny brain to comprehend!!! :confused: Thanks for the help x

As other have said, your first step must be a skills assessment from Engineers Australia BUT they're only valid for 3 years. Because he doesn't have an engineering degree, he'll need to get assessment via a CDR (if in fact that's possible with NO qualifications) and they're a pain to do - you don't want to have to do it twice because the first one has expired!

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment EA skills assessment - read the guidelines to see if your OH can meet them

Also, given your 2-5 year plan, keep the points test in mind as his age will have a huge bearing on how many points you can score if you want to try for a points tested visa i.e. one without employer sponsorship. It's going to be hard enough to get to 60 points without points for a degree but if he also loses a heap of age points, it will be impossible.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf Points test

A problem here is that what Australia calls an engineer and what is known as an engineer in the UK can be two completely different things. Can you tell us a little of what your business does because he may or may not need licensing and/or Electronics Engineer may not be the right occupation to nominate.

Hi Ozmaniac thanks for all your pointers and links - very useful. Our business has been trading for 9 years and carries out electronic repairs at board level including surface mount technology. He reads schematics, we have 8 employees. We repair Plasma Tv;s and laptops but our main expertise is the Pro Audio industry, we repair all of Odeon, Vue and Cineworlds amplification nationally, we also repair huge cinema Bass drivers and mics also for the BBC and Sky.

Please don't get me wrong my HO does have qualifications a lot actually but only of NVQ level not diploma. I'm not even sure if what he does would be more suited to the title Electronics technician. (I have just actually emailed Engineers Australia asking what umbrella this would fall under)

I totally hear what you are saying with regards to loosing points over age, we are 38 and this would definitely loose us points. Maybe a way to gain some more would be to take the English test - What are your thoughts on that please? Is it a very costly exercise? Thanks again x

If I was planning to live the dream and leave my lifes work behind (your business) I would want all the support I could enlist or afford in order to make sure it went smoothly and with as little stress as possible and with minimal risk.

We couldn't really `afford` an agent but on the other side of the coin we realised that we really cannot afford to waste money on incorrectly filling out applications etc..don't get me wrong there are so so many people who manage to do this without error all by themselves, however if theres one lesson from this forum ive taken on board its that i know full well from reading so many gutting posts on here about peoples plans being scuppered due to them making minor avoidable mistakes, that the cost we have paid to enlist an agent means I know I've done everything possible to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. I'm no expert on migration and didn't want to rely on my own application skills because for us it just means too much too us to risk mistakes.

I'm certainly not saying you won't manage it successfully on your own...but I'm saying at least consider getting an initial assessment done by a MARA agent, the initial fee isn't a bank breaker and it might give you a bit more direction....Westly is very good at what he does and knows exactly what he's doing.

Wishing you all the best...xxx

Yes I agree, Absolutely! x

If you do want to get in contact with Westly Russell (wrussell) specifically, his contact details were on the bottom of his replies...http://www.pinoyau.com

There are lots of agents, just make sure they are MARA registered, but youd be in good hands with Westly. As with anything important, do your homework, be aware of any changes to criteria, skills lists etc, keep yourself up to date etc, and good luck...but a good agent will give you peace of mind and a direction to follow if anything xxx

At 38, your OH has something under 2 years before he loses 10 points and it may well take that long to get to a position where he can lodge a visa application. I really think you should get in touch with a good RMA ASAP. From what you've told us about what he has been doing and the fact that he has NVQ qualifications, it sounds like you may be better off nominating a trade occupation e.g. 312412 Electronic Engineering Technician (though not necessarily that one) but that may then mean that the occupation only on the CSOL and thus only eligible for an employer or state sponsored visa. Someone like Westly Russell will go over his qualifications and work background and may be able to suggest a better visa strategy than the one you had in mind originally.

Not many people can get to 60 points without getting English points from IELTS so you can probably take it as a given that he will need to take the test. I believe the cost in the UK is around £130 each time you take the test (and many people need more than one test). It's not terribly difficult but it's very much a case of knowing how to approach and handle the various components and heaps of practice tests beforehand will pay off.

That is like a smack in the face, but I suppose truth hurts :daydreaming: just to add (if this makes any difference at all, maybe, hopefully) He has loads of NVQ electronics qualifications but not at diploma level. Would these simply be disregarded then? And also the 17 years experience, 9 of which running an electronics business? (Man can this girl grasp at straws!!!!! Ha ha) Thank you muchly x

Why don't you consider a strategy of leveraging your existing business and taking it to Australia.

This could open up a subclass 457 visa strategy, leading to a permanent residency visa under the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream of subclass 186 after 2 years on the 457 visa.

And while you are living in Australia as the holder of a 457 visa you can utilise some efficient tax mitigation by structuring a suitable salary/divi mix from the UK company.

Best regards.

Don't want to be a wowser but you are likely to end up happier if you view migration as a business decision than as "living the dream". The dream bit wears off really quickly and you find yourself in a reality. That reality may be better or may be worse than what you had (though it is unlikely to be hugely better) but it still involves getting up in the morning and working long hours, shopping and laundry at the weekend, and envying the neighbours.

Archived